Being a Good Friend

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Com'on, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way," Sohyun said assuringly.

 

Yoojung threw a glare at her direction. "He did!" she huffed angrily. "His blardy friends are more important than me."

 

Sohyun was at a loss. She has been trying all angles to explain to Yoojung but it was to no avail. When Yoojung is agitated, she is stubborn and refused to listen to reason. After many unsuccessful tries, Sohyun is more than happy to leave her alone, except Myungsoo had begged her to step in and get his girlfriend to speak to him. Yoojung had ignored his calls or any other forms of communication for the past couple of days just because he cancelled their date. To be fair, it wasn’t just any date. Yoojung was extremely upset this time round because it happened to be their anniversary and she had planned a private dinner, even taking the time to learn to make tiramisu, just for the occasion. It was something she had never done for her previous boyfriend. But Youram had apparently some issue that night and Myungsoo cancelled on her because of it. To top it off, he apparently forgot it was their anniversary. Seungho had told Sohyun that the issue was a real emergency. And with all the stress in their 4th year, Myungsoo didn't mean to forget the important event.

 

"One of his idiotic friends is here to take you away," she spat, gesturing behind Sohyun.

 

Sohyun grimaced at the petty tone. She reached out for her best friend's hand. "I'll stay with you." But Yoojung pushed Sohyun away, insisting that she leave with Seungho.

 

"She's still mad at Myungsoo?" Seungho asked as they walked towards his car.

 

Sohyun nodded. "It's their anniversary and she'd planned a special night," she explained wearily.

 

He laced their fingers together and gave it a squeeze. "I heard. He really didn’t mean to forget their anniversary. Myungsoo has been having a hard time recently. He has not keeping up with the school work.. and you know its partly because he still spends a lot of time with Yoojung."

 

"So he chose to forget their anniversary instead of telling her that he need time for school?" Sohyun questioned defensively. She knew how much it meant to Yoojung and she had been impressed at the initaitive and effort her best friend had put in.

 

Seungho stopped and stood facing her. He saw her face was creased with frustration.

 

"Hey, I'm not defending him," he said softly, his voice was placating. :I'm just telling you what he is going through. I’ve been watching him missing deadlines and getting warnings. We tried talking to him but he kept on insisting he can handle it. Its been accumulating and he must have been worried about it. The whole thing snowballed just before their anniversary. He didn’t intentional forget the anniversary" he explained. "And.." he continued before Sohyun reacted, "That Youram issue, it was a real emergency. I left work early too, you know that."

 

"Then maybe Myungsoo should tell her about the emergency. Right now, it seems he prioritise Youram over her," Sohyun pointed out. "And about he falling behind his school work, if it was getting so bad, why didn't he speak to Yoojung. I'm sure she would understand. She's not unreasonable."

 

Cupping her chin, he tilted her head up so that he could gaze into her eyes, "It's not for us to share Youram's personal stuff. They've been together for so long. Shouldn't she trust that he wouldn't have skipped any date if it wasn't important?"

 

Sohyun bit her lips and sighed, acknowledging the truth behind Seungho’s words. She knows that Yoojung was someone who needs lots of pampering and attention. But she has also seen how her friend had changed and become more reasonable and less self centred since she met Myungsoo.

 

He raised one of his hands and her hair tenderly. "I agree that he should speak to her about the school work. He cannot afford to fail his exams. So they have to find a solution to make it work for them, like how it works for us. But then, my girlfriend is the best, isn't she?" He gave her a playful wink.

 

Sohyun rolled her eyes. "Ok, I give it another shot. After our dinner, send me to Yoojung' place," she conceded.

 

Widening his smile, Seungho pulled her into a hug. He leaned and pressed a kiss on the side of her head, "Thank you Princess."

 

When she arrived at Yoojung's later that night, she found her best friend cocooned in her bed, wrapped in layers of bed covers like a burrito. Pulling the cover aside, she found Yoojung sobbing. Sohyun slipped onto the bed and pulled Yoojung into her arms. Rocking her softly, she gently patted her best friend's back.

 

"He didn't even find me today," Yoojung cried softly.

 

Sohyun hid a smile. "Maybe because you have been adamant about not talking to him."

 

"But that's because I'm upset with him," she pouted.

 

Chuckling softly, Sohyun offered, "Maybe he is trying not to aggravate you further. Give you time to calm down."

 

Yoojung didn't respond. Sohyun suspected that it is her ego that stopped her from making up with Myungsoo.

 

"Don't you want to make it up with him? I'm sure he already feels tons of guilt about the whole thing," Sohyun pointed gently.

 

Sitting up, Yoojung faced Sohyun and with a serious face, she asked, "How could I forgive him for forgetting our anniversary?"

 

Taking her hand in hers, Sohyun smile. "You can. Do you think Myungsoo, who doted on you so much, would intentionally forget such an important date?" Brushing the stray hairs from Yoojung's face, Sohyun maintained eye contact with her. She explained that the emergency was critical enough that even Seungho left early.

 

“Really?” Yoojung was surprised as she knew how serious Captain is about work.

 

Sohyun nodded affirmatively.

 

“Ok, but he didn’t only miss our date, but he forgot about it totally,” she complained.

 

Patting her best friend’s hand, Sohyun smiled internally as she heard a softer tone.

 

“You know how I barely get to see Seungho, right? Its because 4th year workload is heavy, and on top of that he is working too,” Sohyun carefully placed her words. “Seungho told me that Myungsoo has not been managing his schoolwork well.” Seeing her best friend shocked to hear that, she calmly explained the stress Myungsoo has been going through with regards to his school work.

 

The next morning, Sohyun was feeling sleepy as she walked towards the campus. Pasting a weak smile on her face for those that greeted her, her mind was debating whether she should skip the lecture after lunch to go home for a nap. Her fuzzied brain was jolted by the sudden arm that s around her waist, and then a familiar smell invaded her nose. She leaned towards the warm chest that appeared besides her, enjoying the comfort. She could feel her eyes droopping close.

 

"What's wrong?" Seungho had noticed the lazy walk and the droopy eyes, which so unlike her. He sniffed around her face. "You are not having a hangover."

 

She slapped his arm weakly. "I'm sleepy. I had only two hours of sleep and didn't even have time for coffee."

 

"Why?" he asked as he opened her bag. Taking out her health bar, he opened it up and passed to her.

 

"Because of you," she replied before she took a small bite. "I left Yoojung's place at 4 this morning."

 

"Ohh.. what happen?" he asked, feeling a little bit guilty for pushing her to persuade Yoojung on Myungsoo's behalf.

 

"Told her all those things you mentioned. I think it works, cos she started crying from guilt and I had to then spend time to pacify her. I think they be ok," she explained, trying to infuse some enthusiasm but her tired brain refused to cooperate. She is glad that her best friend's relationship would be on the mend. 

 

"Come here," Seungho dragged her. She tried to resist but he insisted.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter