But Loving is Harder

Love is deaf

Wednesday was a breeze, Thursday was even easier, but Friday was living hell. Wonwoo went to work only to realise he had forgot his folder with all his homework and had to travel back home again to pick it up. He then ran out of spare change in his wallet and couldn't pay for a taxi there again and ended up walking. He arrived over an hour late and Seohyun was definitely not happy. Then to make things harder his computer shut down and all his work was lost. Serves him right for not saving it as he went along.

By lunch time he was exhausted and ready to go home but since he arrived late he had to stay behind another hour to catch up on the work he missed. Every second of the day, however, he spent with Mingyu on his mind. They were finally going to see eachother again tomorrow after days of being apart and Wonwoo couldn't wait.

Once he finally signed out and left the building Wonwoo felt very relieved. He sighed before beginning his long walk home as the sun set. About a mile away from his apartment he came to some traffic lights on red, his head was fuzzy and he was completely exhausted and failed to noticed the man walking towards him who he accidently slammed into when crossing the road.

"Hey! Watch it!" He yelled but Wonwoo didn't hear. Unfortunately the stranger wasn't the sort to brush something like this under the mat and he grabbed Wonwoo's arm stopping him from reaching the curb. "Aren't you gonna apologise?" He scowled.

Wonwoo stared at him blankly before trying to get away but the man's grip was too tight on his arm. It hurt and he was scared.

"Don't ignore me, you . Learn some respect!"

Wonwoo could only see the angry pedestrians lips moving and the spit that flew from them as he complained. He felt his throat tighten and his stomach churn with anxiety. By this time the traffic lights had turned back to green and cars were honking their horns furiously trying to get past the two men in the middle of the road. Wonwoo was panicking. What did the stranger want and why wasn't he letting him go?

"Please let me go, sir." He asked, scared and worried.

"Stupid kids." Huffed the man before dropping Wonwoo's arm and storming away.

Wonwoo bolted after that, away from the traffic lights and grumpy pedestrians and straight home. What happened made Wonwoo remember why he hated going outside. Everything about it was terrifying and confusing and Wonwoo didn't want to experience it again.

He was now missing Mingyu more than ever and wanted nothing more than to curl up with him with a warm drink and bowl of popcorn. He thought, surely Mingyu wouldn't mind if he went over a day early, so that's exactly what he did. After a quick visit to the corner shop where he bought a new DVD and got some money from his card he took a taxi across town to his boyfriends apartment. He didn't call Mingyu in advance hoping that he would be pleasantly surprised if he turned up on his doorstep out of the blue.

Wonwoo took the elevator because no way was he going to climb several flights of stairs late on a friday night. He wasn't about that life.

Mingyu's apartment door was slightly open so he let himself in. A muffled voice from the other room greeted him when he entered; Mingyu must have a friend over. He couldn't hear who he was talking to though, maybe it was Jihoon or Jeonghan or someone else from the group chat, Wonwoo hadn't seen them in a while and missed them so he followed Mingyu's voice to his bedroom down the hall. A mischevious idea came to mind and Wonwoo planned to creep up on Mingyu to make him jump. Then he would hold him close and tell him how much he had missed him and that he never wanted them  to be apart again. Wonwoo loved Mingyu with all his heart. To him he was a miracle, the light of his life and the sweetest boy alive.

He grew excited as he neared Mingyu's bedroom door, stepping lightly as he did so he wouldn't make a sound. He pushed on the door slightly, hoping it didn't creak and saw Mingyu's back through the crack. He grinned. There he was; the person he loved. A bubbly sensation filled his stomach and his heart beat faster. He was happier than he had been all week and he hadn't even said hello yet.

He pushed the door open more to let Mingyu know he was there but instantly wished he never had.

Before he could smile and shout "Mingyu! I love you!" just like he had planned a haunting sight interrupted him. Mingyu wasn't alone and was infact with a friend but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that that particular friend had his eyes closed and hands on Mingyu's cheeks, their lips were pressed together and so were their hearts and bodies. Mingyu's hands were on the bed behind him, holding himself up casually, they didn't move to push his friend away and nor did he seperate their lips. He just sat, frozen and still, letting himself betray Wonwoo right infront of his eyes.

The first thing Wonwoo could think of was "I'm dreaming, this isn't real," but then the DVD he was holding fell to the floor and hit his shoe and he felt it, he didn't need to to pinch himself to make sure he wasn't sleeping, his skin already prickled in disbelief. Mingyu heard him and quickly pulled away from the kiss and turned around. His friend, Joshua looked over too and bit his bottom lip- .

Wonwoo locks eyes with his boyfriend, hollow mahogany stared back. It hurt to see the sparkles in his eyes that once shone for him. Joshua said something and if Wonwoo could hear he would've told him to "shut the up" right away. Mingyu ignored him and kept his eyes on Wonwoo who's head was aching. He didn't know whether to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation or cry out at the horror of it. He felt as if he was going insane and even though he had no idea if he was furious or devastated he kept his eyes locked on the person he thought he was in love with not wanting to break eye contact in fear that that would mean the end.

When Wonwoo was 12 he fell down the stairs and broke his leg. His parents were out at work and he was home alone, he can remember quite clearly lying on his hallway floor, leg twisted into an impossible position, unable to move and in utter agony. It was three hours before his mother finally came home and found him sobbing at the bottom of the stairs. He had to wear a cast for a year after that. Having his leg broken was excruciating, having his heart broken hurt ten times worse.

It felt as if someone had wound a rope around his chest and was pulling it tighter and tighter, crushing his organs and breaking his bones. If he looked over to see who was pulling that imaginary rope he would've found Mingyu with his stained lips and sparkling eyes- a miracle gone wrong. He could hardly breathe and his chest was filled with a tight twisting pain. He let out a strangled breath and thought that maybe that was his last because no way in hell was he going to survive this.

Mingyu was the first to look away, he turned his head to the floor and that's when Wonwoo truly broke. He let out a sob so loud it echoed back to him and Mingyu grimaced at the sound. Was he hurting too?

Wonwoo heard the mumbled "It's not what you think," from Mingyu but the silent "I've betrayed you," screamed louder in the air. He wanted to run as fast as he could to anywhere but that room. If his feet weren't cruelly cemented in place he would disappear to somewhere far away, a forest maybe, where the wind would catch his hair and he wouldn't have to care about if he could ever be loved.

Joshua left the room first with a cold glare, cold heart and burning cheeks.

Mingyu looked up again and saw the tears on Wonwoo's face and the tinted pink blotches on his skin. He watched as his eyes turned red and his lips trembled but didn't stand up to help. Then he watched as his knees buckled and hit the floor. Wonwoo was a wounded deer, a bullet had dug deep into his stomach, blood seeped across his open wound that was etched into his body, a mutilated scar. Mingyu was a hunter watching the life drain from his prey as his gun smoked by his side.

"Mingyu..." Wonwoo finally said. His voice was strained and ruined- it's hard to speak when you feel like your stomach has just been ripped from your body.

Mingyu blinked and a tear surfaced. He wasn't supposed to be crying.

"Please tell me this isn't real."

The room fell silent but not the kind of silence that had haunted Wonwoo for countless years, it was the kind of silence that was so painful and violent that you could almost hear Wonwoo's heart crack apart.

"It's real, Wonwoo," Mingyu said eventually, "and I wish it wasn't just as much as you do."

Wonwoo shook his head and opened his mouth but all that came out was a sigh drenched in agony. Mingyu stood up and walked towards his boyfriend on the floor and buried him in a hug. Wonwoo was confused, his thoughts blurred like the scenery on the other side of a window on a moving train. His tears kept falling like heavy rain but stung his face like hale amd every breath scraped his throat, he was breathing nails and his chest rippled with an unbearable pain. He thought he was dying.

"I love you...so ing much." He sobbed and Mingyu held him tighter.

"I love you too. I'm sorry, I can explain, it's not my fault."

Then the anger hit him at 100 miles per hour. It slammed into him so fast his skin could've ripped at the contact and it knocked him from his confused state and into a fit of burning anger.

"Why would you do that?" He croaked.

"Joshua was-"

"I don't want to hear about Joshua. That's all you ever talk about anymore." Wonwoo shook him off and stood up. He stared him right in the eyes hoping that he would see the pain swimming in them and feel guilty.

"Wonwoo, please let me-"

"I can't believe you could go behind my back and do that to me." His voice cracked and interrupted his sentence but not his pain. "I trusted you. That's so ing messed up, Mingyu." He furrowed his eyebrows to try and stop the tears. He needed to be strong; if Mingyu was able to be happy without him he had to show him that he could do the same too, even if it was a downright lie and the most agonising thing to bare.

"No. No, please don't say that. You don't understand."

"What is there to understand? Because it was pretty clear that you were just snogging your friend on your bed when I was supposed to be at home thinking you still loved me. I don't think that needs much more elaboration." Wonwoo was fuming. The anger pressed on his chest threatening to burst through his skin.

"I do still love you!" Mingyu was crying now. It wasn't a comfortable change however.

"No, you don't." He scowled.

"Don't ever think that I could stop loving you. You're the most important thing in my life and-"

"Yet you just broke my heart like it meant nothing to you. Don't lie to me, Mingyu. You've hurt me enough already." He turned to leave, to run far away but Mingyu grabbed his arm.

"Let me explain."

" off... don't do this to me."

"Please."

Wonwoo's body had turned weak. He didn't want to hear what Mingyu had to say because he already felt sick and stained from the memory. But he had just enough energy to throw one more verbal punch at the boy who broke his heart.

"You know, for a long time I thought that I could never live without you. You brought me something I was told I would never get back, you let me hear. To me, you were a ing miracle. I convinced myself you were perfect because you were the only thing that could make me happy and, oh boy, I was ecstatic. Every second I spent with you felt like living in heaven. Now I've seen you doing something to a friend that I only thought you would do with me and I don't think I could ever be happy with you again. But now I'd rather never hear anything for as long as I live if it meant I never had to see you again. Don't call. I hope Joshua's a better kisser than me, ."

-

a/n: so this chapter was disappointing. Sorry I didn't write it better. I tried my best :(