Anything For You

Love is deaf

Wonwoo didn't get the job. It was another punch to the gut and he wasn't sure if he wanted to go through anymore. It was really getting to him now, being rejected because of a disability and not a lack of skill was brutal and unfair but there was nothing he could do to change it.

"I just want to fit in, Mingyu. I want to have a job and lots of friends like you but I can't because no one wants me because I'm difficult."

Mingyu shushed him with the warmth of his body as he pulled him close. "I want you and I don't think you're difficult."

"You're the only person in my life that can treat me normal though. I can hear you and you're my only friend. That says a lot about how others see me."

"You being able to hear me has nothing to do with why I stick around. I fell in love with you because you are the most wonderful person I have ever met. Everything we do together makes me so happy. You're not difficult, you're a blessing."

"What happens when you're not around though? If you have to go away for whatever reason. Who do I turn to?" Wonwoo felt lonely even in the arms of his boyfriend. "I don't have Soonyoung anymore and he was my only friend."

"I promise I will never go away. Ever."

Mingyu held him closer (if that was even possible) hoping he could feel the beating of his heart against his cheek. The drumming in his ribcage that spoke a thousand quiet words: this heart beats for you and no one else. The rain that hit heavy on the concrete around them was cold, icy and sore to the skin so Mingyu pulled his coat around his boyfriend because nothing is allowed to harm Wonwoo; not on his watch.

"How would you feel about meeting some new people?" Mingyu asked.

"And get rejected again? No thanks, I'm done being turned down all because of a stupid disability."

"You won't get rejected, Wonwoo. I want you to meet my friends, I trust them."

Wonwoo thought for a second (or sixty). This could be a chance to get his life back on track, meet new people and make friends that cared. It would be nerve wracking and utterly petrifying but if Mingyu trusted them then he should too, right? He thought some more about all that could go wrong; they might look at him funny, not bother to sign and force him to watch them talk. They might even try to avoid him to dodge awkward social interaction. That would be embarrassing. But he's already embarrassed himself enough by taking countless interviews for a job he may never be able to succeed in so why not take another shot in the dark and hope for the best. What has he got to lose?

"Ok." He said almost silently.

"Ok?"

"Ok."

"Ok. Let's get home baby." Mingyu tapped his back in conclusive comfort and their hug broke gently.

"Can we go back to my apartment. I want to paint the walls." A hand thread through his fingers and squeezed tightly.

"Of course. Anything for you."

Wonwoo wanted a garden on his wall. He wanted to see the rustling of the leaves on the trees and the tweeting of the birds in the sky. A wonderful melody of colours to fill his apartment with bright sounds. Wonwoo's mum sent him a photo of her garden in the countryside so far away from Seoul City. It was a sanctuary for him as a child, he loved to sit on the little garden bench and watch the squirrels climb the trees whilst the flowers danced in their beds. He could remember the day he lost his hearing, when he went outside to breath with the wind and he couldn't hear the birds singing. It broke his heart. He had never realised how beautiful the sounds of the garden were until he had lost them for sure and, oh God, it hurt to miss something so orphic and perfect.

Mingyu's painting was magnificent. It looked just like the photo except ten times more beautiful. It took days to complete but Wonwoo enjoyed every second. He helped as much as he could but also felt content just watching his boyfriend create the masterpiece. Mingyu usually worked with music to keep him entertained but listening to Wonwoo read him a story or talk about whatever popped into his head was so much more wonderful.

"It's beautiful." Wonwoo muttered.

"It's not finished yet."

"Oh. It looks finished."

"I've just got one more thing to do but it's a surprise." Mingyu wanted to make this painting special. Something only Wonwoo had. "Go to sleep baby. You can see the finished painting tomorrow."

"Alright."

Wonwoo didn't like sleeping without the warmth of Mingyu's body next to his, he had grown accustomed to it in the months they had been together so couldn't fully fall asleep until Mingyu finally came to bed in the early hours of the morning.

"Did you finish the painting?"

"I did. I can't wait to show you." He whispered as he cuddled Wonwoo close in his tiny single bed.

Wonwoo was the first awake which was completely unnatural. Mingyu thought something horrible had happened when Wonwoo shook him from his sleep but managed to steady his beating heart when he realised Wonwoo was only excited to see the finished painting.

"Get up!" He yelled and pushed Mingyu who nearly fell to the floor.

"I'm up, I'm up." He rubbed his eyes and smiled up at Wonwoo who leaped out of bed with a grin. He ran to his living room with Mingyu on his tail and stopped dead when he saw what he had done.

"Is that... are they... wow." It was simple but shocking and wonderfully breathtaking.

"You said your favourite colour was blue."

"Yeah."

"The blue one is you and the red one is me."

Mingyu had painted two flowers in the centre of the garden curling in towards one another to make a heart. They stood out beautifully yet made the garden look complete. Wonwoo loved it with all his heart, the prickling of happy tears in his eyes made that evident.

"Thank you, Mingyu." He said no louder than a whisper.

"Anything for you."

Wonwoo buried his face in Mingyu chest before he let the tears flow. He laughed as he cried and thanked his boyfriend over and over.

They spent the rest of the morning on the sofa. Wonwoo couldn't take his eyes off the painting on the wall. Every of the brush sang a colourful song to him and even though he couldn't really hear it he definitely saw it and the feeling was amazing.

"Hey baby. Can I talk to you about something for a second?"

"Of course." Wonwoo peeled his eyes from the wall and turned to face Mingyu.

"You know you said you would be ok with meeting some of my friends?"

"...Yeah."

"I text a few of them that have been wanting to meet you for a while and we've been thinking of ways that we could all talk to one another so that you aren't left out."

Wonwoo bowed his head. He was embarrassed that people had to compromise being normal just to hang around with him.

"Don't worry. They're all really excited and have been really into the idea." Mingyu assured. "How do you feel about going to SVTea today and meeting them?"

"...Ok. How many people will there be?"

Mingyu bit his lip. "Nine...maybe ten."

"Ten!" Wonwoo shrieked "Mingyu I can't even talk to Soonyoung without difficulty. How am I supposed to communicate with ten people who don't even know sign language!"

"Please don't be mad Wonwoo. They all wanted to meet you so bad and I felt mean if I only invited a few and cut the rest out." Such a typical Mingyu thing to do: make sure everyone is happy no matter what.

"What the hell Mingyu? I'm so scared. Why would you do that?"

"I'm sorry. We don't have to go. Let's just stay here." He felt awful and Wonwoo could see that in his eyes.

"No... It's alright. I can do it." He had to try.

"Are you sure?"

"No. But I trust you."

Mingyu slipped his hand in the elders and ran a thumb across his soft knuckles.

"What are their names?" Wonwoo asked.

"Jeonghan, Joshua, Seungcheol, Chan and Jihoon will be there, you have already met them. The others are called Seokmin, Seungkwan, Vernon and Jun. Minghao won't be there though since he has gone back to China but he says he would love to meet you soon."

"That's only nine people. I thought you said there were ten?"

Mingyu blushed. He had hoped Wonwoo wouldn't notice so he didn't have to explain.

"Soonyoung said he might come too, with Jihoon."

Wonwoo sighed and closed his eyes, wishing he had just dreamt hearing that. "I don't want to see him."

"I know. I understand. But remember that what you told him was very difficult to believe and he is probably feeling really confused right now. Give him a chance baby."

"Ok. But will you stay with me the whole time?"

"Of course!"

Mingyu said that they were planning to meet at 3pm. He explained that he had already told them that Wonwoo was deaf on the group chat and even attempted telling them that Wonwoo could hear him but no one else. Fortunately they were a lot more accepting than Soonyoung and took interest in the situation.

Wonwoo wore a blue jumper with the converse he had bought with Mingyu,

("Lookin' good, Hot Chocolate."

"I told you not to call me that")

whilst Mingyu wore a red shirt and denim jacket. They purposely chose the colours in order to match the flowers painted on the wall. Mingyu said it was a cute thing to do and Wonwoo agreed despite the fact he called him cheesy multiple times as he explained.

"Just breath Wonwoo. It's going to be ok."

Who new your heart could beat so fast when you're nervous, Wonwoo was sure it was about to shatter his ribcage. The two boys had only just got in the car and Wonwoo was already sweating, his palms stuck to the leather as he gripped the seat.

"I know but I don't want it to go wrong."

"It won't. The boys have already come up with a fun way to communicate. They're going to love you. I promise."