It's A Horrid Feeling

Love is deaf

Trigger warning: If you are sensitive to suggested suicide (don't worry, nobody dies) then please proceed with caution.

-

Wonwoo's first day at work was on Monday. The company's building was in the centre of town between a circle of shops and cafés. Mingyu drove him there and they spent the entire car journey sitting in silence. He had said he didn't feel well and made the decision not to go into work that day but Wonwoo knew it was because he didn't want to see Jeonghan. He was confused and worried for Joshua; he knew how much it hurt him when he rejected him the first time and he was afraid this time might well and truly break his heart. So he left it, tried to forget it because it was weighing down his thoughts.

"Are you sure you're not upset?" Wonwoo asked before stepping out the car.

"I said I was just ill, didn't I?" He spat.

"Wow. Why are you getting all grumpy with me?"

"I'm not." said the grumpy Mingyu.

Wonwoo was confused. What had he done wrong? Why was Mingyu so badly affected by something that didn't really include him?

"Thanks for the lift." He mumbled. He didn't want to fall out with Mingyu so cut off the potential arguement as fast as possible.

"I'll pick you up at the same place." Mingyu mumbled back before leaning over the passenger seat and shutting the door before Wonwoo could talk anymore. With that he drove off down the road and out of sight.

Wonwoo bit his lip a little too hard and it hurt. This was weird and definitely not like Mingyu but he had to shrug it off. He didn't need anything to ruin his first day of work.

Seohyun met him at the front desk and gave him a tour of the building. She said, or rather signed, that he would be starting with proofreading simple text such as newspaper articles and magazines. Boring, right? Not for Wonwoo! Every second of his day was thoroughly exhilerating. He got his own desk with a computer and pinboard (where he secretly wanted to pin photos of him and Mingyu but wouldn't admit it at the time since they had kind of fell out), and his area was next to the kitchen meaning hot chocolates were just around the corner, too bad Mingyu wasn't there to make them for him.

Seohyun said that if he did a good enough job at proofreading that week then she would quickly move him up to assist the novel editors in a month or two's time.

Things were going great. Wonwoo sat at his desk typing away on his computer being occasionally interrupted by his new colleagues who came to greet him. Not everybody there knew he was deaf but it didn't seem to cause too much of a problem. He was ok with being seen as the unsocial worker.

When it was finally time for Mingyu to pick him up he bid farewell to Seohyun and signed out. Then he made his way out of the building to stand exactly were Mingyu said he would pick him up, but he wasn't there.

Maybe he got caught up in a traffic jam, Wonwoo thought so he waited a little while longer. 30 minutes longer to be exact but he still wasn't there.

He wouldn't pick up his phone either and that's when Wonwoo started to worry. Mingyu was acting weird this morning, what if he did something he wasn't supposed to or got himself into trouble. Wonwoo didn't know what to do and thought that maybe he might find Mingyu if he walked into town in the direction his car went that morning. He checked in every shop window for his tall boyfriend as he hurried through the streets. It came to mind that he might've just been being petty and left him behind since he was in a mood. Wonwoo made a mental note to not let him choose the next movie if that was the case.

Nearly and hour had passed and Wonwoo was ready to give up and text Soonyoung to pick him up then he saw a familiarly tall figure starring into a shop window. His expression was blank and he seemed to be deep in thought. He held a single shopping bag in his hand from a shop Wonwoo couldn't recognise and when he approached him he saw that he was starring at his reflection in the glass.

"Mingyu..."

He didn't answer. Instead he just sighed and looked down at his watch. He realised he was late by at least an hour and screwed up his face "Sorry."

Wonwoo didn't mind anymore. He was more worried for his boyfriend. Surely he was being a bit too sensitive about the whole situation.

"Please tell me why you're so upset. I want to help." Even though he knew it was because of Joshua it didn't make any sense why he was so down.

"Let's go home."

"Ok. To yours or mine?" Wonwoo thought it was best not to push and let him tell him in his own time.

"Yours. Please."

"Alright. Cheer up, Gyu. It's not the end of the world."

"You wouldn't understand."

Mingyu gently placed his shopping bag in the boot of his car, sandwhiching it between a bag and a box.

"What's that?" Wonwoo asked.

"I'll show you later." He replied.

When Mingyu had started driving Wonwoo thought he might have another go at cheering him up. He tried connecting Mingyu's phone to the car radio to play music but ended up accidently recording an audio of himself asking Mingyu why it wasn't working then blasting it at full volume in the car. It made Mingyu crack a small smile and Wonwoo felt very accomplished.

Then he tried making puns out of shop names that they drove passed. Wonwoo laughed but Mingyu didn't.

As a last resort he turned his body to the side on his chair so he was facing Mingyu and got out a pen. "I'm going to give you a tattoo." He said.

He knew very well he was being an extremely annoying boyfriend but he couldn't stand seeing Mingyu so low and moody. Even if it meant Mingyu might kick him out the car it was worth a try.

He drew his name in a love heart and surrounded it by squiggles and doodles. It looked awful, mostly because he had drawn it in a moving car but also because Wonwoo couldn't draw to save his life. Mingyu didn't stop him though, he just kept his eyes on the road and at some point smiled softly as he glanced at Wonwoo who was sticking his tongue out in concentration.

"Done!" Wonwoo grinned and took a photo of it to show to Mingyu.

"It's terrible." Mingyu replied and his boyfriend's smile dropped suddenly. "But I love it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you drew it so of course I love it."

Wonwoo smiled again but this time it was because Mingyu wasn't so sad anymore. He had cheered him up just like Mingyu had always done for him.

"Wonwoo, I think we should talk." The atmosphere changed into something scary.

"Alright."

"I'm sorry for being so down today. I know you're probably confused but I'm finding it difficult to get my head around everything." Mingyu drove round a roundabout in the road as he spoke

Wonwoo nodded and looked out the front window. They were nearly home.

"I'm guessing that you think I'm totally overreacting," True "but I'm not."

"But this is Joshua's problem. Not yours."

Mingyu shook his head and Wonwoo knew he never should've spoke.

"Joshua's an idiot..."

"What?"

"Just listen."

"Ok."

It was clear that Mingyu was struggling to explain and Wonwoo seriously needed to shut up. "Last time Joshua was rejected he was distraught, you know that, but he did something and it really shocked us all. He was sad, I get that, but what he did was stupid and I don't want him to ever think he needs to do it again."

"I think Joshua is just very sensitive."

"It's not like that."

"It must be. You're scared to tell him Jeonghan is already in a relationship because you know he will be upset."

Mingyu was getting annoyed "He hasn't had a very good past, you know."

"That's got nothing to do with his current love life. You rejected him because you didn't-"

Mingyu pulled onto the path and stamped on the brakes. He turned to face Wonwoo with a serious glare, "He stood ontop of a ing building, Wonwoo."

"...What?"

"I told him I didn't love him and the next thing I know he was 50 feet in the air looking down on me and my friends. He went on to the roof of his damn apartment block and stood at the very edge. I thought he was going to jump. We all did. He's not sensitive, he's broken and hurt and it only takes something small to knock him off the edge. I wanted to give him a reason to never feel like standing up there again but Jeonghan ruined it for us and now I don't know what to do."

Wonwoo's stomach sank to the floor. He wanted to gasp or at least breath but a lump had formed in his throat leaving him unable to speak or swallow. He understood now that the situation was terrifying.

"I didn't want to tell you because it's scary and you don't deserve to carry a burden like that." That was such a Mingyu thing to say. He cared about Wonwoo so much and tried to do what was best for him.

Wonwoo didn't know how to respond. He just sat and stared at the gearstick and tried to digest the awful churning in his tummy.

"Wonwoo..."

Wonwoo looked up and saw a heartbreaking look in Mingyu's eyes. It said "I will never let that happen to you." whilst his lips said "I love you."

-

a/n: Who do you ship Joshua with (other than Mingyu, Wonwoo, Jeonghan, Seungcheol, Jun and Minghao)?