Train of Emotions

So Close Yet So Far
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"We're almost there, Yerin. My team is also on their way. We won't let anything bad happen to the both of you." Joy glanced at her friend before taking a sharp turn, entering the quiet subdivision where SinB and Yerin's house is located. "Now, listen. All I need you to do is call her right now."

 

"R-Right. I'll c-call her." With trembling hands, Yerin took out her phone to dial the younger girl's number. However, she was not able to successfully do so as the gadget fell off her hand out of shock.

 

There was a gunshot. A gunshot not far from where they were and it was coming from their house's direction.

 

Yerin's head automatically turned to her right as their street came to view. Her eyes immediately landed on their house as it came nearer to her vision. Tears were forming feeling like her whole world stopped because of what just happened. That gunshot was way too familiar for her. It was similar to what she heard on that day SinB got shot and having to think of the possibility of it reoccurring caused a sudden rush in her whole system.

 

She can't lose SinB. Not again. Not this time.

 

"Yerin! Come on!"

 

Yerin released a deep breath as Joy yelled her name, pulling her out of her thoughts. She was panicking and she couldn't think straight. She didn't even notice that the car had already halted and they were already parked right in front of the house. 

 

"Yerin listen." Joy unclasped her seatbelt and stared deep into her eyes. "Calm down. We need to move faster."

 

"B-But.. there w-was a g-gunsho—"

 

"That gunshot wasn't for SinB, okay? Do you see that?" Joy pointed out to the street. There was a man lying down, unconscious and with a pool of blood around him. "He is the one who got shot. Two of my team arrived here ahead of us. Now, we need to get SinB and escape. Tan must've sent his other men already and we need to move faster. Okay?" Seeing Yerin nodding in agreement, Joy held her gun tighter and went out of the car as she saw her team walking towards their direction.

 

Meanwhile, Yerin took a deep breath as she composed herself before moving to unclasp her own seatbelt. "Yerin, Stay focused." She told herself, gulping hard before following Joy out of the car. 

 

"Go get her. We'll secure the place." Joy ordered and signaled Yerin to run inside. "Please do it quickly, we don't have much time."

 

Yerin didn't respond as she immediately headed to their house. Her hands were still trembling and her heartbeat was still racing but somehow, she was composed enough. She needed to be, else, she wouldn't be able to save SinB and herself.

 

"SinB!" She yelled the moment she stepped inside. "Eunbi where are you???" She was panting hard as she ran towards the living room but only emptiness welcomed her and it caused her heart to even beat worse. There was no way they could abduct her, she told herself. Joy's team came earlier so she was sure SinB was safe and sound inside their house.

 

Yerin calmed herself and moved her feet to head to the master's bedroom. Catching her breath, she reached for the doorknob only to stumble a bit when the door suddenly swung open, revealing SinB who, to Yerin's observation, just woke up.

 

Hugging the younger girl as tightly as she could, Yerin felt her heart getting filled with relief. "Oh god..."

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" SinB's brows furrowed as she rubbed the older's back, soothing her, feeling how hard she was panting. "Calm down..."

 

Yerin leaned away, checking SinB from head to toe. "Are you hurt anywhere? Did someone break in?"

 

"No I just took a nap and I woke up to your yelling—"

 

"Was there a mail? On the doorstep? Did you see it? The papers?" Yerin asked continuously, worried as she thought SinB might've seen the separation documents.

 

"I saw an envelop. It's in the drawer. I didn't open it since it was adressed to you—" SinB wasn't able to finish her sentence as Yerin once again pulled her into a tight hug. "Hey, I'm getting worried. What's wrong?"

 

"I'll tell you l-later." Yerin pulled away and grabbed SinB's hand, leading the way out. "For now, let's go to a safer place."

 

As soon as they stepped out, Yerin called Joy's attention, holding SinB's hand tighter as she pulled her towards the car.

 

"W-What's happening?" SinB asked, seeing the alarming situation. There were people with guns, aiming at the opposite streets.

 

"We will explain later. Just please, the two of you inside the car now!" Joy exclaimed as she run towards the driver's seat. She promised their safety and she'd do everything to keep it.

 

As the other two got inside the car, Joy's foot was already on set to step on the accelerator. "Hold tight ladies."

 

 

There were gunshots and cars following and trying to get into their way. It was a total mess. The moment they turned to leave the neighborhood, they were welcomed with raging cars with men trying to shoot them. 

 

"Where the are the back ups?! There are exactly three cars behind us— no, make that two." Joy was talking through her earpiece while driving and amazingly, shooting back the men at the same time. She managed to take down the driver of one of the cars but there were still two following closely behind. "Then move faster! I need to secure Yerin and SinB and these guys are making it hard for me! We are three kilometers away from the camp but I can't head straight there because of these s!"

 

"W-Who are t-they?" SinB stuttered as she asked. Her hands were trembling as she glanced at the cars behind them.

 

"Yerin will explain everything to you later, getting you to a safe place is the top priority for no—" Joy wasn't able to finish talking as a car hit theirs by the bunker. “—. Duck!” She yelled, seeing the car pulling up beside them, aiming at the ladies seated at the back.

 

Yerin immediately grabbed SinB and pulled her to kneel on the car's floor. She was trembling as well and she could feel her heart was about to combust any moment. She was terrified, not for herself but for SinB who was in great danger.

 

She moved to hover over SinB while covering her ears. There were gunshots everywhere and it was impossible to distinguish if it came from those men or Joy and the back up cars that arrived just a few seconds ago. Yerin didn't even want to know anymore, what mattered the most to her was SinB and make sure that the younger doesn't get shot.

 

Few more seconds, she could feel the speed of the car increase as the sound of chaos slowly vanished. 

 

They were finally escaping.

 

"I managed to get rid of them with the help of the back ups." Joy uttered as she glanced at the two worriedly. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

 

Getting up as she grabbed SinB's shoulder, Yerin eyes wandered to check if the former got shot. "E-Eunbi, are you hurt?" She asked, pulling herself and SinB to sit properly. As the latter shook her head blankly, Yerin sighed in relief and hugged her tightly, almost sobbing.

 

"I'm sorry this had to happen."

 

"It's not your fault. Thank you for saving us, Sooyoung ah."

 

Joy just kept quiet and continued driving. She could not prevent the danger from happening and she somehow felt guilty for that. Now, all she could do was secure the both of them and make sure their families were safe as well. 

 

They reached the camp with no one dared to speak, even SinB who was clueless and probably dying with all the questions she had.

 

They pulled up in front of a small house, not far from the buildings inside the camp. Joy went out and the two followed closely, with Yerin holding SinB's hand tightly. 

 

"You will stay here for the time being. This small house was already reserved for the two of you since the beginning in case what happened earlier happens." Joy sighed and gave Yerin a card. "Here. It's safe inside here. He can't lay a finger on you, I assure you that."

 

Yerin smiled sadly at her. "Thank you."

 

"The supplies inside are complete. I need to go to check my team and the damages the encounter caused. I'll be back later." She looked intently at Yerin and nodded. "I'll leave you two alone to talk and rest."

 

As Joy left, Yerin faced SinB who was just looking on the ground, staring at it blanky without uttering a word. This made Yerin feel a sharp pang in her chest accompanied by nervousness that seemed to only worsen ever since Joy and her left the cafe to get to SinB earlier. She was pained seeing the latter that way, clueless and probably traumatized, and somehow, she knew it was her fault for leaving SinB in the shadows. More so, she was nervous because the girl had been so quiet and she could not read her. Was she mad at Yerin? For not telling her anything?

 

Yerin cleared . "L-Let's get inside." She said and softly pulled SinB towards the door. Fortunately, the younger didn't budge and just followed her until they reached the living room. "I'll get you a glass of water."

 

But before Yerin could step, SinB finally spoke. "Y-You know exactly what I need." It wasn't cold and it wasn't soft either but the tone was filled of seriousness. It made Yerin feel worse, especially when SinB didn't give her a glance at all.

 

"O-Okay, let's sit down first." Yerin sat down on the long couch, waiting for SinB to sit beside her but the latter took the other one instead. Disappointed, Yerin just stole a glance at her, unsure on where to start. But SinB beat her to it, asking a direct question as she finally looked into her eyes.

 

"What's happening? Who wants us dead?"

 

Yerin almost flinched hearing the second question. How can SinB say it just like that?

 

Keeping all these things from the younger girl, Yerin didn't exactly imagine how she would disclose everything to her. Therefore, she felt completely hopeless about the whole talk. She didn't know where to start, especially when SinB's mood was anything but good. Worse thing for her, SinB had discovered it through a life-threatening and traumatizing situation.

 

Taking a deep breath, Yerin started disclosing everything to SinB— that night when SinB got shot and she was abducted, what Mr. Tan wants from her, the reason why she avoided SinB for the past weeks, Joy's involvement, the audio transmitters and surveillance cameras in their house and office, the men that kept their eyes on them, especially her, and lastly and most importantly, the divorce and separation plans.

 

Yerin knew she was stuttering the whole time. She tried hard not to, but she couldn't help it. Not when's SinB eyes and whole expression remained undecipherable the whole time she revealed everything. Well, maybe not entirely because the moment she mentioned about the divorce, she could clearly see the younger's eyes: it shouted pain and betrayal. With this, Yerin knew she screwed up. She was hurting SinB again, and she could only blame herself for that. Only if she told her about this earlier, the latter wouldn't feel hurt and betrayed as she was, she thought.

 

"I-I'm so sorry Eunbi. I didn't mean to keep all these from you. I j-just had no choice and—" Yerin stopped speaking as she looked down, hopeless. She knew she had a lot to apologize for but it seemed like her words wouldn't cooperate. 

 

She sighed in frustration. Things got worse than what she imagined. 

 

"That envelop that is addressed to you. Does it contain something you don't want me to see?" SinB asked, finally speaking after a long silence. She remembered how Yerin looked so devastated earlier while asking about it and she knew it was connected to all these happenings she didn't know about.

 

"T-Those are..." Yerin momentarily looked at her and sighed heavily as she looked down again. "Those are our s-separation documents."

 

There was silence after Yerin answered the question and she only kept staring on the floor. She didn't know what to say more. She wanted to explain her side further but it seemed like her brain was too crowded to even construct something sensible. Now, she decided to just stay quiet and wait for whatever SinB had to say. She was nervous as hell. She had not seen SinB acting like that since she met her. 

 

On the other hand, SinB kept mum as well as she also could not formulate a proper sentence to say. Her emotions were in a mess but one thing was for sure; she felt betrayed in a way that it caused pain and doubt. 

 

"I know you were only thinking about me and I thank you for that... but.. don't you trust me? Am I not trustworthy enough? I was hurt when you decided not to say anything but I kept it to myself and trusted you... but I had no idea it was this bad… You want me to trust you.. but you can’t even trust me."

 

"It’s not that I don’t tru—"

 

"I don’t even know what is more hurtful, the fact that the problem is this worse and you didn't trust me and tell me a thing or the fact that, we just had our feelings cleared for each other last night and right now, I just found out we are up for a divorce."

 

Looking up, Yerin felt like a dagger went through her heart. SinB sounded so hurt with those words. "N-No Eunbi, I w-would never—"

 

"You know what unnie?" SinB looked at her and smiled sadly. There was a long pause before SinB bit her lip and continued. "I liked you even before we were engaged. I don't know if you knew but I already had feelings for you by then..." She let out a sarcastic sigh and avoided eye contact. "But you had Yuna unnie, and I knew I needed to move on and let go of my feelings for you... especially when you begged me to keep your relationship a secret because you could not let go of her, because you loved her so much."

 

"E-Eunbi..." Yerin muttered, completely taken aback with the revelation. How could she be so clueless?  And how could she be so insensitive towards the younger girl?

 

"Then I had Yewon. After we decided to just date, I learned to love her more than just a best friend... Luckily, everything was settled and things were just going well between the four of us, You and Yuna unnie, Yewon and I..." 

 

Yerin didn't know where SinB's speech was headed to but it was making her palms go sweaty. She could feel the pain through SinB's voice and she hated herself because she knew she was the cause of it. 

 

"But things started to get complicated. Yuna unnie left and Yewon went overseas. I was stuck with you and my feelings started to mess with me again, especially when we had a business trip in Europe." SinB added, recalling those times she enjoyed with Yerin, especially the kiss that triggered everything between them.

 

"Then.. my feelings for you resurfaced again. I swear, I tried to stop myself but it wasn't helping at all. So when we came back, I felt like a whole bucket of ice was poured onto me after knowing Yewon was in our office, waiting for me... I had a girlfriend but I was falling for you all over again." SinB, this time, let out a sarcastic laugh. "I feel like a total . Really. I had no idea what I should do. I feel guilty and I started thinking that fate doesn't really want us to be together." She looked down and sighed heavily before meeting Yerin's eyes again. "But Yewon... she knows me too well... unnie, she let go of me so I can finally have a chance with you. I felt guilty but I was so thankful of her. 

 

"So after that, imagine the relief and happiness I felt knowing I could finally express my feelings for you freely, without any hindrances... I could finally pursue you... I felt so happy having to spend time with you feeling like we were slowly becoming real. You and I… Everything felt surreal… until that night. That night, unnie, I planned to finally propose to you, formally. I wanted us to be official and real. No more push and pulls... so I asked Eunha and Sowon unnie to help me. I was so nervous and excited unnie. While we were decorating the rooftop, I kept thinking, 'this is it, finally.', 'I can finally claim her as officially mine'... but no, that wasn't it." SinB could feel her eyes getting watery remembering her messy state that night. When she walked down the street not knowing where to go, completely broken and crushed inside. "... that wasn't it... because Yuna unnie came back to have you again. And who am I to stop her? When she asked me to help her to win you back because she still loved you so much? ... M-My world crashed once again that night unnie. I felt like I was being tortured having to go through all of that." A tear finally escape

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter