Back to Korea

So Close Yet So Far
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SinB slowly opened her eyes hearing strange sounds coming from her right. She lifted her head as she observed her surroundings, still enduring a headache. As her eyes darted to what her head was comfortably resting on earlier, she felt a sudden rush inside her. She was cuddling Yerin and laying her head on Yerin’s shoulders. She had no idea how they ended up hugging each other. Her face was heating up again but she didn’t move, she remained on that position as she stared at the sleeping girl beside her.

 

It had not been a day since they started to avoid each other but SinB couldn’t lie that she already missed the older girl. She was extremely used to having Yerin around her, hanging out with her, bickering with each other, and having playful fights. She looked at the older girl’s peaceful face until her gaze landed on those plumps lips again. Those lips were at fault as to why they were in such situation, SinB thought. Only if it were not tempting her that night, she wouldn’t have kissed Yerin. But who was she kidding, it was her whole being who urged her to kiss the older girl. It was her will.

 

SinB just sighed and move a bit to sit comfortably and as she did, she noticed something she failed to see earlier. Her hand was intertwined with Yerin’s. Sure, she had been holding hands with the other girl before and it was a usual thing for them. But this time, it felt different. Feeling the other girl’s palm touching against hers and feeling their fingers perfectly fit together felt just right. She felt a familiar sensation again but still she didn’t move nor separated her hand from Yerin’s. She stayed quiet and motionless.

 

‘No, this can’t be.’ She thought. ‘Those feelings can’t possibly resurface.’

 

Just as when she was going to move away, she heard same strange noises from her right. Her head immediately turned and saw their personal driver outside of their car. She sighed in relief and smiled at him. She then hesitantly turned to wake Yerin up.

 

“Yerin… unnie.” She whispered. Yerin groaned but eventually opened her eyes. She sleepily looked at SinB and was about to ask if there was any problem but she just smiled seeing their driver waving at her.

 

---

 

“Come in.” Mr. Mills, their driver, said after opening the door for them. “Make yourselves at home.” He added, smiling.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Mills.” Yerin politely said. “And sorry for the trouble.” She added as her eyes started to observe the house they were in. Mr. Mills insisted on taking them with him while their car was sent to be fixed. Their house is too far to go back and the nearest hotel is one hour away so the old man suggested that they should spend the night in his house as they waited for the heavy rainfall to die down.

 

“Don’t mention it, Miss Jung. Anything for the two of you.” He said and led the way to the living room.

 

The couple missed their flight and Yerin had already contacted someone to book them the next one. Unfortunately, the next flight would be two days away so they had to stay in Europe for two more days.

 

“Are you living here alone?” SinB asked. Thankfully, her headache was slowly vanishing but she was still wearing layers of clothes. She wasn’t pale as she was while they were stuck but anyone could tell that she still needed to rest and recover. Yerin looked at her and sighed. It would not help if she insisted on bringing the younger girl to the nearest hospital which is one and a half hour away, not to mention the heavy rain. She just guided her to the living room and sat on the couch, of course with a bit of awkwardness.

 

“I’m living with my granddaughter but she’s already asleep in her room. You can meet her tomorrow.” He answered. “What do you want? Coffee or hot chocolate?”

 

“Coffe—“

 

“No, you need to rest early SinB.” Yerin said and turned to smile at the old guy. “Just two hot chocolate Mr. Mills. Thank you.”

 

Mr. Mills only replied with a polite smile and headed to prepare their drinks. Yerin then worriedly looked at the girl beside her and touched her forehead. SinB was burning earlier and feeling that her temperature slightly improved, Yerin sighed in relief.

 

“Unnie, it’s not like I’m dying.” SinB said but still, couldn’t look straight in Yerin’s eyes. Even though they were already interacting better, it was still uncomfortable to casually talk to the older girl.

 

“It might be infection from your wound, SinB yah. It might worsen.” Yerin replied and stood up to follow Mr. Mills in the kitchen. “You stay here. I’ll ask Mr. Mills if he has first-aid kit here. We need to change the gauze.”

 

SinB just nodded. Everytime she’s sick or injured, she just can’t rebut with whatever Yerin says or instructs. Yerin might be as playful as she is but whenever she’s worried, SinB has no choice but to just follow her, even their friends.

 

After a few moments, the two came back from the kitchen with two cups of hot chocolate and the kit. SinB thanked Mr. Mills and move a bit to her right to let Yerin clean her wound. The old guy then excused himself to prepare the guest room for the two of them. They just nodded and Yerin proceeded to clean the younger girl’s wounded hand.

 

They remained silent while Yerin carefully continued to change SinB’s gauze. It was too quiet that SinB had to start any topic just to break the awkward atmosphere. “Uhh… Why did Eunha unnie leave early? I thought she’ll go with us.”

 

“That midget missed her giraffe. She couldn’t wait, you know her.” Yerin replied and gulped, thinking about the real reason why Eunha intentionally left them behind.  She was still uncertain about a lot of things, she wasn’t ready yet. Disregarding the thought, she quickly finished wrapping SinB’s hand and put everything back in the kit. “Finish your hot choco, then drink this.” She simply said and headed to the kitchen.

 

Hearing the coldness the way Yerin delivered her last order made SinB’s heart sting a bit. They might not be in best condition that moment but SinB was sure that despite the circumstances, Yerin wouldn’t be cold towards her unless she did something horrible that made the older get angry at her. ‘Was kissing her a horrible thing?’ She thought as her eyes followed Yerin’s figure which was slowly vanishing from her sight. Suddenly, the guilt she felt last night resurfaced. ‘Hwang Eunbi… why did you have to screw up everything?’ She asked herself and reached for her cup of hot choco.

 

---

 

The idea of sleeping on the same bed with Yerin was never awkward for SinB before. But as Sinb opened the guest room of Mr. Mills’ house, it was way more awkward than what she expected it to be. Yerin was already there, sitting on the right side of the bed and facing the other side of the room, combing her hair. She didn’t notice someone had already entered the room. Feeling the sudden uneasiness, SinB decided that she’d just sleep in the living room, thinking that she might get suffocated being in the same room as Yerin considering that she still couldn’t remove from her mind the coldness in Yerin’s voice earlier.

 

When she turned around and was about to grab the door knob again, Yerin suddenly noticed her existence in the room. “SinB..”—and called her, making her jump a bit in surprise. “Where are you going?” Yerin asked.

 

“U-Uhh, to the c-comfort room unnie.” She answered and bit her lip. Only if she was a second faster, Yerin wouldn’t have noticed her.

 

“The guest room has its own. Don’t tire yourself more by going downstairs.” Yerin said, her voice a bit soft compared to her tone earlier, but still demanding— and SinB preferred that than the cold one.

 

“O-Oh, I didn’t notice that..” She said and immediately walked toward the door across the room without even glancing to where Yerin was sitting. She went inside and just stood there for a few minutes to pass, she had nothing to do there in the first place. She just made that as an excuse after getting caught going out of the room.

 

When she went out, Yerin wasn’t inside the room anymore. Her forehead furrowed as she scanned her surroundings. Realizing that the older girl might’ve went downstairs. She just decided to lie down on the left side of the bed, finally having a proper rest. Her headache hadn’t vanished totally yet and her fever was still quite bothering. Sometimes, she just couldn’t help but to ask herself— ‘Why on earth do I always get sick when I need to be physically fine?’

 

SinB woke up feeling a cold damp cloth on her forehead. She removed it and looked around her. She then saw Yerin who was sleeping beside her, and in the older’s hand was a thermometer. A conclusion entered SinB’s mind, Yerin took care of her all night. She smiled at the thought. Despite the happenings, Yerin would always be Yerin, taking care of everyone as much as she can.

 

SinB, who was already feeling better, sat down and adjusted Yerin’s head for the older girl to be positioned comfortably on the bed. She then whispered a ‘Thank you’ before covering the older girl with the wide blanket that was only covering her earlier. She took a last glance before lying back to her position and drifted off to sleep again.

 

---

 

Yerin woke up after her hand felt nothing beside her. SinB wasn’t lying beside her anymore. She sat up and observed the room. Then she realized it wasn’t their room and remembered what happened yesterday, she immediately looked for her slippers and went downstairs where the others might be.

 

As she descended the stairs, she heard a series of chuckles coming from the living room. Her pace became quick as she became more curious because the chuckles turned into loud laughters. Someone else was with SinB and that was definitely not Mr. Mills since the voice was so feminine and cute.

 

“Yerin!—“ Yerin, who just woke up, almost jumped when someone suddenly hugged her— hugged her legs, to be specific. “I mean, Yerin unnie!” The little girl, who Yerin assumed was a six-year old kid, enthusiastically said and showed her biggest smile to the Korean girl. Yerin’s eyes immediately formed into crescents as she realized that the little girl is probably Mr. Mills’ granddaughter. She lifted her up and greeted her with her softest smile. “Hey there, cute girl.” She spoke in English.

 

“Mr. Mills asked me a favor if we could take care of her while he’s away to process something important.” SinB approached them but as soon as her eyes met with Yerin’s worried ones, she started to explain. “U-Uhh, I’m okay now u-unnie. Don’t w-worry too much.”— of course, with a bit of stuttering in between.

 

Yerin, as what SinB had expected, wasn’t satisfied with what the younger girl was saying, so she took a few steps closer to SinB and touched the other girl’s forehead. “Just drink your medicine, to be sure.” She casually said after sighing in relief. She then looked back at the little girl she was carrying. “And what’s your name, little princess?” She asked with a friendly smile.

 

“Renzy. My name’s as cute as me.” She answered which made the two grown-ups look at each other and chuckle because of how adorable the little girl was. Suddenly, all the awkwardness they felt was gone— well, almost gone. But at least, they could already casually interact with each other compared to yesterday.

 

“So, did Renzy eat breakfast already?” Yerin asked as she ran her fingers through the little girl’s blonde and curly hair. “Because if not, Yennie unnie will cook for her.”

 

“Really?! I wanna see you cooking and help!!” Renzy excitedly exclaimed and wrapped her arms around the older girl’s neck before placing a kiss on Yerin’s cheeks. “I can finally use my apron!” She added as she carefully removed herself from Yerin’s arms to run upstairs to get her apron.

 

“Hey! Renzy! Be careful!” SinB shouted while worriedly watched how the clumsy girl skip some few steps just to reach the second floor quickly. Yerin only chuckled seeing how the little girl winked at them after taking the last step.

 

“How come she calls me ‘unnie’? Did you teach her?” Yerin asked as she waved at the kid.

 

“Yeah, because at first she called me ‘Aunt’. It was so cringey.” Yerin only chuckled and turned her gaze to SinB.

 

“Have you eaten already?” She asked the younger girl.

 

“Not yet. We were waiting for you.” Unexpectedly, Yerin laughed because of SinB’s reply.

 

“Waiting for me? You mean, waiting for me to cook because you can’t?” Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter