Deja Vu: A Different Approach

We Are Unbreakable

A/N: Part 2 everyone!

---

I have been excluded by pretty much everyone. First it was Yuri and the crew. Second it was Taeyeon. I don't care about Yuri and the rest of the gang. If I could have Taeyeon back in my life, everything would be alright.

The Kim's and Jung's decided to go out and have an picnic outing at the nearby park. It was a nice sunny day on a weekend so it was perfect, except for the fact that Taeyeon's not talking to me, of course. I wonder why it seemed out of the blue though. My mother told me to wear a nice dress and everything so it should be a really important. I wonder why we're all hanging out as two families all of a sudden. Maybe my parents have been acquainted with her parents after Taeyeon became my tutor.

Soon as we got to the park, my parents greeted Taeyeon's parents. Taeyeon's siblings, were all here as well. My little sister Krystal was also with us despite her tight schedule. Krystal went up and greeted Taeyeon's siblings while Taeyeon and I stared at each other awkwardly.

"Come on, let's set up the table," Mrs. Kim motioned over to all of us, holding a basket full of food as she walked towards a table under a tree.

Everyone started walking with her. Our parents were walking in front of us while us kids were trailing from behind them. Krystal was all talk with little sister, who was walking beside her older brother. Taeyeon and I were behind everyone, space in between, no words exchanged. Awkward.

My mother spread out the table sheet before Mrs. Kim could lay out all the food she had prepared. My father also started spreading out the food that my mother had cooked for this picnic. Everything seemed lovely and I would hate to spoil this nice little event just because Taeyeon and I couldn't clear the air between us. Maybe later on we could.

Mrs. Kim wrapped her arm around her son's shoulder and walked towards me. My head was filled with wonders as to why they would come forward to me.

"Sooyeon-ah, I would like for you to meet my son Jiwoong," Mrs. Kim told me.

Jiwoong and I never really met each other before. If anything, I would always come by Taeyeon's house and see him either eating on the dinner table or in his room. He would be playing his guitar from his room every now and then until Taeyeon would tell him to shut up since she had to start tutoring me. Jiwoong looked a lot like Taeyeon. They were both actually pretty cute.

"It's nice to meet you. Sooyeon, right?" Jiwoong held out his hand for a handshake.

I followed through and shook his hand.

"Jessica is my English name, if that matters," I answered.

I could sense Taeyeon looking at us from my peripherals but it's not like it really mattered.

"Let's dig in!" Mr. Kim announced. Everyone huddled up to the picnic table to eat.

Mrs. Kim was serving me food while my mother was being very courteous to Jiwoong. I sense some weird feeling about all of this. Are we both being set up?

"Since when have you guys been close?" I asked my mother about her and Mrs. Kim.

"Ever since I heard their daughter has been tutoring you, I was very thankful of them. I decided to drop by their house every once in a while when Mrs. Kim wasn't in their optical shop," my mother answered, "I guess we bonded over the months and I met every one of them except Taeyeon."

"Why are we meeting up as a family again?" I questioned.

"It's nice to get to know their family," my mother simply answered. I glared at her knowing she was up to something but she didn't give in and kept her composure.

"Say, Sooyeon, you're graduating soon aren't you?" Mrs. Kim asked me, "what are your plans after high school?"

I hadn't really given it much thought to be honest. Although my passion is fashion design...

"Maybe something along the lines of fashion design," I simply answered. That answer was still a 'maybe'.

"I see. Jiwoong is friends with some kids who are studying fashion in college. Maybe he could give you an insight from them."

Jiwoong seemed surprised at the mention of his name. He turned to me and smiled shyly.

 

Our parents seemed to have been having some deep conversations. Us kids were left to either play or converse amongst ourselves. Taeyeon was watching Haeyeon and Krystal run around while Jiwoong and I were watching them from afar.

"Fashion huh?" Jiwoong chuckled, "I don't know why my mother said I could give you an insight from my friends but I guess I could if you wanted them."

"I actually don't know what I wanted to do after college yet. I haven't given it much thought the past few years I've been in high school. All I cared about was my status quo until Taeyeon came around and helped me study to graduate high school with a better grade," I told him.

"It's alright not to know what you want just yet. You still have months before your graduation to think about it. Fashion design is competitive but everything is competitive in general. The question is, do you really have what it takes to do it?"

"If I put my heart and mind to it, I know I could," I told him with a smile.

The thought of us being set up never fazed my mind that I definitely had to ask or else I wouldn't be able to move on to the next day if anything.

"Say Jiwoong, are we being set up?"

Jiwoong chuckled once again.

"What makes you say that?"

"It's been weird. It seems both of our parents are trying to introduce the both of us immediately out of the blue."

"Well... if they did, I wouldn't have a problem with it," he smiled. He smiles like Taeyeon. But he's rather smooth.

 

At the end of the picnic, I wasn't able to talk to Taeyeon at all. What I did acquire was Jiwoong's phone number. Although he did not give me a direct answer, I'm sure he knew we were being set up as well and he didn't have any problem with it at all. I guess I wouldn't mind talking to Jiwoong. After all, he seemed like a nice guy. If Taeyeon is nice, then he must be nice as well. I mean, they were brought up the same, right?

My days consisted of small conversations with Jiwoong. There are days when I wished it was Taeyeon instead. At least I still sat beside Taeyeon in class. In all actuality, Jiwoong reminds me so much about Taeyeon. They look alike. They both smile the same. But when it's time to have a conversation with him, I can see the huge difference of Jiwoong's outbound personality versus Taeyeon's reserved persona.

Not long after, Jiwoong would invite me over to their house. I was always welcomed by Mrs. Kim with dinner whenever I came by. They all seemed very welcoming and happy whenever I came over. Meanwhile, Taeyeon would be locked inside her room, out of sight.

"Sooyeon-ah, are you and Taeyeon alright?" Mrs. Kim questioned.

"You should probably ask her," I answered. I'm alright with Taeyeon. But is Taeyeon alright with me? Obviously not.

"Taeyeon-ah!" Mrs. Kim called out.

Soon, I heard footsteps coming down from the stairwell. There she was in her comfortable clothes as always.

"What is it?" Taeyeon asked her mother.

"Come sit with us and eat."

"I'll eat later."

"Don't be rude now."

Taeyeon sighed in dismay and stepped her way to the dinner table.

"So," Mrs. Kim began as she passed around the bowl of rice, "how's everything with the tutoring? I haven't seen Sooyeon here together with you in a while."

"It's complicated," Taeyeon sighed.

"Complicated?" Jiwoong questioned as he reached for some beef on the dinner table.

"What's wrong? Is Taeyeon giving you a hard time?" Mrs. Kim asked me.

"I... It's really not that..."

"I think you guys should hang out some more," Mrs. Kim said firmly, "Taeyeon, it is your duty to follow up and make sure our dear Sooyeon gets an 'A' in school."

"I think that's farfetched," Taeyeon answered back.

"Kim Taeyeon," Mrs. Kim glared at her.

"Fine, I will. If she's available today, we can go over some things she's not able to figure out."

"After dinner would be great," I told her.

Taeyeon glared at me and stared back at her food. It was clear she detested what was asked of her.

 

After dinner, I went up with Taeyeon to her room as planned. I had my school bag with me all along so this set up went well. I was actually catching up on understanding everything more than I ever did before after Taeyeon stopped tutoring me. Basically, I didn't really need much of Taeyeon's help anymore but this would be a good opportunity to use just to spend time with her and maybe get her answer.

"So," she began as she sat on her bedside, "what did you really have problems on?"

"Only the simple fact that you wouldn't talk to me anymore," I said frankly as I sat on her study chair.

"So you didn't really need to be tutored?" she questioned and sighed in disappointment, "if you don't need to be tutored, I think Jiwoong is waiting for you next door."

"I'll tell on you."

Taeyeon sighed again. It was obvious she was getting frustrated but knew she couldn't do anything if I ratted her out to her mother. Just what possible punishment would Taeyeon be under anyway if I had told on her? The girl's already always locked up inside her room and she barely even hangs out with anyone else.

"I see you've been getting real close with Jiwoong lately," she uttered, seemingly trying to change the subject.

"Yes we are. He's actually pretty nice," I nodded.

"Did you think by chance he's going to ask you out soon?"

"Why the curiosity?"

"It's just obvious," she smirked, "he's definitely not that bad."

"Why can't you just tell me why you stopped talking to me?"

"Haven't I already rejected you?"

"I'm sure there's more to that," I sighed.

"Well, I can tell you we can't be together."

What does that mean? I mean, it's a simple and direct answer. But there has to be some other meaning behind it too... right?

"Remember when you said you have vivid memories about things happening before? To be honest, I've had them for a while now."

Wait... so she has the same flash backs as I've been having?

"For how long have you been having them?" I asked.

"Let's see..." she pondered, "... at least ever since we started getting closer."

"So you've been having the same visions and you kept them a secret from me?!"

"It's not a big deal---"

"Of course it's a big deal!" I exclaimed, "you're made me look like such an idiot! Did you ever ask a psychic about it?"

Taeyeon shook her head. "There's no point of me telling a psychic about it if I can clearly see the flashbacks happening inside my head. It's all too surreal. I just don't want to face it. And with that, I know the outcome."

"What outcome?"

"Jessica, we almost died back there," she sighed, "I know that's also been in your vision."

"But we avoided it this time!"

"This time," Taeyeon annotated, enunciating the word 'this', "eitherway, we probably should cut our ties if we both want to survive this world before our lives are cut short."

"Did you even ask what I thought about it?"

"Clearly, the answer should be that we both want to prolong our lives. You didn't know me back then and neither did I know of you. We both survived well without knowing each other for quite some time. You had your flock of friends, I had my books to go to. It's not too late to go back to that," Taeyeon rubbed her temples.

"You're selfish," I murmured.

Taeyeon scoffed in disbelief. "Isn't it selfish to think of dying, especially when another person is in tow?"

I guess she's right about that.

"Look, I would rather both of us be alive, living the best of our lives and dying of natural causes."

"But who's to say that the both of us wouldn't get into an accident later on down the road? Don't you think you're also jumping ahead and assuming things rather selfishly?"

"I would rather take that chance."

"Is that so?" I sighed. Of course, Taeyeon doesn't care about me that way, right? And maybe... I shouldn't be selfish with my feelings. If she feels nothing for me, then why should I even push for us to be together for me to die, including her. Just the thought made my stomach churn. Never did I think about dying this much. "you should have just told me all about it from the very beginning when I started talking to you about my visions."

"And what? Obviously now that everything's out, nothing has changed. Nothing can be done. So there was no point of telling each other about it."

"The fact that I was clueless as to why you stopped talking to me should be a good point already."

Taeyeon chuckled. "The fact that I turned you down should have been a good answer for you already."

"I don't take that as an answer and I don't think you even mean it," I raised my eyebrow at her.

"So the only way to make you stop was to tell you the truth?" she laughed, "you really are something Jung Sooyeon."

"By chance, you don't really have feelings for me?" I frowned.

Taeyeon pushed herself back towards her bed's headboard. She hugged her legs and looked away.

"I don't."

"Alright then. If so, you won't have any problem with me dating your brother right?"

"Of course not."

I stood up from her chair and crawled onto her bed slowly.

"What are you doing?" she questioned nervously.

I inched closer and closer until our noses were touching. I could tell her breathing was different and I could see her face was flushed.

"If you really don't have feelings for me... then why haven't you pushed me away?" I smirked.

Taeyeon stared directly into my eyes and pushed me away after what I have said. She recomposed herself as so did I, standing by her bedside.

"Is this what you really want, Kim Taeyeon? Are you sure you don't want me at all?" I asked her one more time. I think I knew her answer but I wanted to ask her the second time just in case she had a change of mind.

"I'd rather us be alive, Jessica," Taeyeon turned away from me, "I'd rather... you be alive."

The last part of what Taeyeon had just said broke me inside. Does this mean she actually felt something for me? Does she actually feel the same towards me? But I guess that wouldn't matter at this point if this was Taeyeon's decision. In the end, I guess it's comforting to know she liked me back but disappointing at the fact that we couldn't do anything about it. Can this foresaken fate change?

---

A/N: Okay, this was meant to be the last part of the Deja Vu short series but I forgot the contents of what part II should have. However, this part was necessary for the alternate ending I have built up in my head. Don't worry, the ending will still be the same, just built up differently. I apologize if this part II seemed rushed as I am tired but inspired to update this short series. Please await for part III soon! I appreciate everyone's subscriptions and comments!