Dense and Denser

We Are Unbreakable

Everyday is the same old routine. Wake up, brush my teeth, eat breakfast, go to work, get harassed, eat lunch, get harassed again, end work, eat dinner, brush my teeth, then go to sleep. Yes, I do get harassed at work by this miniature human being that decided to walk into my life and make work a bit more fun. Before you question what kind of harassment this dwarf is doing to me, she just bothers me at work. That's it! I would say she's not really bothersome... well... she can be in all honesty.

This tiny person is new to our office. She's our current receptionist. Frankly, the job fits her well. It seems like she's the only one with a bubbly personality. Although she does get into those weird mood swings. How I would know when she's in that mood swing is when she doesn't bother me too much at work at all. She's quite a cute one. The males in our office all have a thing for her but she's too dense to even comprehend how they feel towards her.

"Why don't we... say... go out to the movies tonight? My treat!" one of my male co-workers asked her.

"What movie are we speaking of?" she asked.

"The Leatherface horror movie. I heard you like horror movies."

"You're right, I love horror movies! I'm definitely down. Hopefully you don't mind if I order a lot of popcorn!"

"It's a date then!"

"Yes! Fridate!"

It's pretty obvious that this creature thought that it's a friendly date but the male person wanted more than just a friendly date. This has happened to a lot of the males here in the office but some of them never give up. The little girl has a reputation of being the densest person ever.

 

This pocket human's name is Taeyeon. She seemed to be very fond of me compared to the other female workers. It's probably because of the closeness of our age as well. Work was boring until she came along. She diverted the hungry eyes of these fiendish chums from me to her and I'm extremely thankful for that.

Nobody really talked to me either because the females in the workspace could not comprehend how these blokes are into me and not them. I'm not even sorry. It's obvious that I was prettier than them in so many ways. Being the newest person out of all of them helps as well. Anyway, let me get back onto Taeyeon.

"Hi Jessica!"

Nevermind, Taeyeon is going to introduce herself.

"What a pleasant morning we have!"

It's another Wednesday morning. There's nothing new but same old boring, gray, four walls and stupid slow computers.

"How is your morning going, Jessica?" Taeyeon asked.

"The same as usual," I replied to her as I logged into my computer.

"How are the sales going?"

"Taeyeon, we just started work."

"But you probably made sales yesterday that I don't know about!"

What a bother. I grabbed her collar and dragged her to her workstation.

"That's where you stay seated and talk a lot. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am!"

The company is a paper company. We sell office supplies to consumers whether it's a big business, small business, private business, or an individual needing supplies. We have a lot of competitors like Office Depot so we try our best to compete with their prices but to a point where the company doesn't go bankrupt. Noted that I am new, I'm apparently one of the top salesman in the office for some reason. Our office is little but the team works hard enough to keep the corporate and the branch alive. Taeyeon is another reason why this branch is alive.

"Hello, thank you for calling Diamond Office and Beyond, Jeonju branch. This is Kim Taeyeon speaking, how may I direct your call?"

Hearing it everyday gets pretty tiring in all honesty.

"Hey Jessica, do you think Taeyeon would eventually like me if I keep taking her to horror movies?" one of my co-workers asked.

"Sungyeol, keep dreaming. She obviously doesn't want anything to do with you guys," I bluntly told him.

"It would be nice of you to sound a bit less harsh," he scratched the back of his head, "you seem pretty close with Taeyeon though. Why don't you find out about it?"

"About who her dream boyfriend is?"

Sungyeol nodded.

"I'll accept depending on what you're going to do for me or give me in return."

"I'll drive you home?"

"I have a car," I retaliated quickly.

"I'll give you free coffee?"

"We have coffee here."

"Starbucks coffee?"

"We have coffee here."

"Free dessert to work day for 1 week?"

"I'm not too fond of sweet things at the moment."

"What do you want?" he quickly asked. He seemed to have given up on making his own offer.

"How about you give me one of your clients?" I smirked.

Sungyeol's eyes grew big and shook his head.

"That is one offer I cannot do!"

"Then your loss!"

Sungyeol thought for a bit. He looked down on the floor, then at Taeyeon, then back down on the floor until he finally made a decision.

"Fine, I'll give you one of my clients. But you can't choose which client I'll give to you!"

"As long as it's a client. The more sales I have, the more money I get!"

"I think I just sold myself to the devil."

"Yes. You. Did." I poked his nose at every syllable.

"Just this one time! You're lucky I still find you pretty at least."

Sungyeol went through his computer and forwarded me details about one of his clients.

"Happy?"

"You're welcome," I smirked, looking onto the e-mail he just sent me, "now if you'll excuse me, I have to make a call."

 

I invited Taeyeon over for a coffee break at the break room. Nobody was around the break room which was perfect. It was not invaded by it's local resident, shikshin Sooyoung who eats too much. I went over to the snack machine and got me some salted chips while Taeyeon made herself some coffee by the coffee station.

"So... Taeyeon---"

"I'm surprised you pulled me aside, Jessica," Taeyeon immediately interrupted.

"Ah, yes, I just thought of having some girl talk," I nodded, "which brings me to my point: what type of guys do you like?"

"What's with the sudden curiosity?" she giggled like the little girl she is. Jeez, we're not in highschool anymore.

"Nothing, just wondering. A lot of guys are into you but you never seem to pay them any attention."

"Well, I don't really like the guys here in the office. They all seem like predators hunting for their prey. I don't want to be the prey," she explained as she turned around to face me, mixing her coffee, cream, and sugar.

"Let's say you're ready to mingle. What could your potential boyfriend be like?"

"Hm..." Taeyeon pondered, still mixing her coffee, "... probably someone who's at least taller than me, even by a few inches. Well, everybody's taller than me so that wouldn't be a problem. I like attractive people, of course."

"What else?" I asked, grabbing a chip from my bag and placing it into my mouth.

"The fact is that I don't like working relationships. After all, work is work. I don't want to mix my personal relationship with my work. My relationship should be a place of sanctuary, not hell."

I chuckled. It does make sense. Who knew that this middle-school-looking prune is mature and wise?

"Although, I don't mind altering that statement," she smiled.

"So you do have someone you're particularly interested in within this office? Who is it?" I asked.

"This person is too dense to even notice so there's no point," she laughed.

"I'm pretty sure you are the most densest person, if that's even a word, in this office. Everyone thinks you are because the guys would ask you for dates and you'd just immediately go with them."

"But as a friend," she winked, "why would I deny such free offerings? Going to the movies for free, getting free dinner for free, and also, did I mention that it was for free?"

I take back everything that I have said about her. She's the spawn of Satan.

 

Valentine's Day came around. Everyone in the office either received gifts, gave gifts, or both. The Valentine's Day event was what most females in this office dreaded the most. It's when they know they're not wanted or the least prettiest out of every one of us. I usually come over my desk full of gifts and hate messages before Taeyeon got here, but again, she took the spotlight and I'm happy about that. I still did get some things from others but not as much as before. One gift particularly caught my attention though.

Instead of the usual flowers, chocolates, and cards, this one particular gift was made with love. Flowers, chocolates, and cards are easily bought from a store. Art, however, cannot be justified. It was a framed picture of a flower, particularly outlined and colored beautifully with the shades done perfectly.

"To the prettiest flower in the room," the note on the side of the picture said.

I wonder whose it was from. We've got a fair share of new employees since last Valentine's Day. Today was the only time I received something as special as this beautiful piece of artwork.

I went over at the reception desk to check what Taeyeon got, and of course, she was loaded with all the common Valentine's Day gifts. She even received a big, white teddy bear from someone. I wonder who it was from?

"Seems like you received lots of love," I teased as I laid my elbow on the counter.

Taeyeon looked up and smiled. She seemed to have been busy reading the letters that everyone sent her.

"I'm overwhelmed but I'm truly grateful. What did you get?"

"Oh, the common. Flowers, chocolates, cards... pretty much the same things you got except for that huge white bear behind you," I pointed out at her new teddy bear, "although I did receive something unique this Valentine's Day that I haven't received in the other Valentine's Days I celebrated here in this office."

"What was it?"

"Someone gave me this," I showed her the piece, "it's actually really nice of them to gift this to me. It's something that I know someone put an effort in. Although, I couldn't say much because I usually give people the same ordinary chocolates and letters on Valentine's Day and White Day."

"Have you ever liked someone before and have given them something special too?"

"I did like someone in middle school and another in highschool. I baked cookies with my mom's help."

"Ahhh, I see. No one in particular currently?"

"Haven't really found someone interesting..."

"What's your ideal type then?"

"Broad shoulders... attractive people... a bonus if you're rich," I chuckled.

"No wonder no one caught your attention here," she laughed.

"You're right," I nodded, "I should head back to my desk and work though so I'll talk to you later!"

"Question before you go, would you like to have some girl talk after work if you have no date to go to?"

"I'm sure a lot of people have already asked you about going out with you. You're not going to go out with them even though it's free?" I chuckled.

"I think I'd rather have this girl talk with you today. I receive those free offers every other day anyway," she laughed.

"Well, it's a 'date' then," I told her with a smile before going back to my desk.

 

As planned, I went out to have some girl time with Taeyeon. She wanted to meet up at this little cottage by the beach. It was a small coffee shop that had a lot of cute paintings hanging on the walls. They seem to be a work of a child.

"I'll have some americano please," Taeyeon ordered, "what about you, Jess?"

"I'll have the caramel latte if that's okay," I answered.

"On the same tab," she nodded at the cashier.

"That'll be 9,500 won."

Taeyeon gave the cashier her card to pay while I distracted myself with the paintings. I wonder why she took me here in the first place. Was it because of the fact that I loved the artwork given to me earlier in the office? And I wonder why she wanted some girl talk. Maybe she's going to finally tell me who piqued her interest.

We sat by one of the tables. There were two couples and a group of middle-aged women in the coffee shop. Although there's only a few people inside, it seemed like there is a lot, considering how small the coffee shop is. Eitherway, I like the idea of the shop. It's cute and definitely attracts some customers. Then again it surprises me that these people went all the way here at the beach on a cold, chilly day for some coffee in this little cafe.

"Is this place really popular?" I asked Taeyeon as soon as we sat down.

"You'll see when you get your order. Granted there's a lot of competition around here, especially here in South Korea where coffee shops are really popular, but this one takes the cake for me at least," she explained.

Soon enough, our order came in. The employee came in with two trays. I wonder why. After all, we ordered nothing but two cups of different coffee mixes. But as soon as the tray was placed in front of me, I can understand why. The plate had a little cup holder on the side but on the plate itself was an art made with fresh berries and bananas. The berries and banana were cut strangely and a chocolate drizzle covered the fruit ensemble. To add a finishing touch, it was sprinkled with some granola. On the side was a messed up strawberry drizzle with the word, "thanks". Clearly, it was another piece of artwork from a child.

"You might be wondering who painted these little artworks hanging on the wall and who made this messy fruit piece on the plate."

"A child did this," I guessed immediately.

"Correct," Taeyeon nodded, "this is a family-owned cafe. I came here often enough to actually talk to their daughter. She's really cute and special!"

"Special?"

"She's my energy pill," Taeyeon smiled, "I asked the owner about it, concerned that she's just forced to do all this, but it turns out that she was the one who came up with this idea and became this little coffee stand's mascot. She just really loves life that much."

"Is that the reason you took me here? To meet her?"

"Nope," Taeyeon shook her head, "just wanted to spend some quality time with you in my favorite coffee shop. I just thought we usually talk in the office but never hung out, you know?"

"And here I thought you were finally going to tell me who piqued your interest," I raised my eyebrow.

Taeyeon just chuckled nervously.

"This is not a bad place actually and I thank you for taking me here," I told Taeyeon as I took a sip of my caramel latte. I nodded at the delicate taste of my latte. It was definitely flavorful.

"I'm glad you like this place," Taeyeon beamed with a smile and took a sip out of her americano.

The employee went out again but this time with a little girl. The little girl had something on hand. I smiled at them and put my focus back on my delicious caramel latte but I noticed they were headed towards our table.

"I'd like to give this to you," the little girl presented to me a drawing, which I'm guessing is hers and in which I'm guessing she's the owner's daughter.

"Thank you," I smiled at her.

"Now, if you would excuse us," the employee bowed as she took the little girl with her back behind the counter, "and Happy Valentine's Day!"

I smiled and bowed back. I looked at the art that she gave me and noticed two girl figures in the picture. In between the two figures was a heart. "Happy Valentine's Day" was written on top of the picture.

"That's weird. I don't know if she drew this because we're both sitting alone together in this table on this day. I wonder if she gave these kinds of handouts to everyone else too."

"It's not a mistake," Taeyeon smiled, "your denseness is coming out again."

"When have I ever been dense?" I defended myself.

"Just like now."

Suddenly, I remembered how Taeyeon commented about her special person. Her special person was apparently very dense, even more dense that she is. And now, looking at this art with two female figures together with a heart drawing in between them... I'm Taeyeon's special person.

"I don't need you to answer me right now. If you would like, you can respond to me on White Day," she smiled.

I sipped again on my caramel latte while looking at her. Why would I ever think that her special person is me? I mean, I get it. I'm well-liked, pretty, and everything, but I never really found myself that special. If anything, I am one cocky bastard. Yet, this seemingly innocent butterfly, who turns out to be the devil's overlord, is attracted to me. But my question is, do I even feel the same way?

 

Indeed, ever since Taeyeon confessed her feelings for me on Valentine's Day, I've been pondering about my answer. Do I say "yes" or do I say "no"? Is there a "maybe" selection? Things in the workplace is the same at least so I'm thankful. Taeyeon is still the annoying co-worker that I have and people still fawn over her despite being rejected after Valentine's Day. Do I see her differently now? Maybe. At the same time, no one can blame me. If ever someone has confessed to them, they would add more focus to the person positively or negatively.

White Day is actually two weeks from now. The office still does celebrate White Day but not a lot of people receive or give anything during this time. After all, they've mostly given enough during Valentine's Day, despite it being a day for a girl to show their affection for a boy. My decision remains unknown. Is Taeyeon that special to me?

Finally, the workday comes to an end. I have a decision to make still but the longer I stall on it, the longer this is going to keep on bothering me. I followed Taeyeon to her car and sat on her passenger seat. She looked at me weirdly while I sat there not knowing what to do next.

"You don't have to force yourself," Taeyeon giggled.

"Is this a joke to you?"

"You're making it seem like one," she laughed.

"Kim Taeyeon!!!" I yelled at her.

"Alright, please spare my life Ms. Jung."

"Hold my hand."

"What?"

I wasn't really thinking. I was too nervous to think and filter the words that come out of my mouth.

"Just hold my hand!"

But there's no going back to it now. It would be too embarassing to do so.

"Okay..." she responded and held my hand.

For some reason, why am I even flustered about this? Damn, it's all her fault for even making that confession towards me.

"Hug me."

"I can't properly do so."

"Just do it."

Slowly, but sure enough, she did obey my command. Again, I felt nothing but nervousness. I was still too flustered about everything.

"Satisfied?" she asked, still having one of her arms wrapped around me. Her body was really warm, contrasting to the cold weather we still had.

"I... seriously don't know."

"Jessica," she pulled away, "if you're not sure, don't get too bothered by it. You don't really need to give me an answer when you're all puzzles in the head right now."

"I guess you're right," I sighed, "I'll go on ahead now."

"Alright Jess, take c---"

I had to. I just had to. This has bothered me so much already. Why am I not even questioning the fact that I'm doing all of this over a woman? I grabbed Taeyeon by her shirt and pulled her over towards me, my lips meeting with hers. I closed my eyes to try and feel something but I still felt nothing but nervousness. I slowly opened my eyes and I was about to pull away but my heart jumped at the fact that I was kissing this tiny bean-head. Her eyes were closed and the smell of her perfume lingered. I don't know whether to freak out about what I've done but somehow, the kiss with this woman made me want to stay. Maybe I do like Taeyeon.

Taeyeon opened her eyes and pulled away. She smiled at me and sat back on her driver's seat properly, feeling her lips as if it has been her first time being kissed. She seems delighted at least.

"I can't believe that just happened," she smiled to herself, brighter that ever. She faced back towards me and asked, "did that answer the questions you have inside your head?"

My face warmed up as her eyes stared at mine. I can feel my face turn beet red. It's so embarassing. The great Jessica Jung never acted like this before, why now?

"Taeyeon---" I grabbed her shirt once more to pull her towards me. Somehow, I wasn't satisfied. I wanted more of this dwarf's lips.

I felt Taeyeon hold onto my wrist as she cupped my face with her free hand. Passionately, we exchanged kisses. I held onto her shirt even tighter until she pulled away all of a sudden. She looked very puzzled.

"So... does this mean you like me back?"

Taeyeon is definitely the densest person I have ever met.

"I don't know, I still need to figure it out," I smiled and threw my body towards her.

Let's just say that we both enjoyed an hour long session inside her car. Do I like her back? Do I like this egg-faced creature? How can you even tell you like someone? Help.

 

 

-----

I've been watching a lot of The Office on Netflix lately with my wife and I guess that helped me write this update for all of you. A special shoutout to one of my readers here for making me laugh (for some weird reason) with their comment. Comments are greatly appreciated guys! Let me know how you felt about this update! And also, thank you to all who takes some time to comment :)