Like I Do

We Are Unbreakable

A warm cup of hot chocolate upon my hand. A crisp air blowing upon my cheeks. A cold snowflake falling upon my nose. It is winter and a New Year is about to start. Taeyeon is next to me basking in this chilly winter waiting for the fireworks to start. What more could one ask upon welcoming the New Year? Actually, there is just one thing I want...

"Can you last?" I asked her as I saw her shivering a little on her chair next to mine.

"I should be fine," she told me with a smile, her nose and cheeks were bright red from the cold season.

"Let me go inside and fetch you some more warm blankets," I chuckled and suggested, "or if anything, we can watch from the inside."

"I thought you wanted to watch from the balcony?" she asked with a questioning look.

"I won't forgive myself if you get sick," I told her with a reassuring smile, "if you would oblige to it, we can step out a minute before the ball drops?"

"Sounds like a plan," she cheerfuly smiled and scurried herself immediately inside my warm apartment.

I followed right behind her and shut the door. I joined her towards the couch and turned the TV on for the both of us.

"Maybe we should watch the ball drop on the news. That way, we can keep track of the time," Taeyeon suggested.

"Good idea," I replied as I immediately switched it to a news channel and reluctantly blurted, "you know, it that everyone couldn't come."

"It's okay, we all had a party together last New Year's Eve. I think everyone wants to spend it together this time with their family and significant others," Taeyeon gave a reassuring smile, "at least I'm here. Am I not enough, Jessica?"

As sad as it is that everyone else could not make it, I hope you know that you are more than enough. At least you of all people could make it.

"Did you want to do something? You know, get drunk?" Taeyeon laughed.

"It isn't as fun when there's just the two of us, don't you think?" I pouted.

"Alright then, we'll get drunk on the sugar rush," she continued.

"Did you need more?"

"I'm good for now, but thank you!"

Taeyeon never fails to cheer me up, especially on my lowest moments.

 

It has not been that long since I met Taeyeon compared to our other colleagues. She actually started working at my job right around the summer time. Immediately, everyone started flocking to her because of her cute, shoulder length haircut. It really suits her well. Due to the fact that everyone complimented her about it, she had kept the same haircut since then. I agree with everyone, the haircut does look good on her. And since seeing her for the first time then, I could not keep my eyes off of her.

It did not take long until Taeyeon found herself in our friend group at work. She got along with everybody but she got along more with us. I am definitely thankful for that because every moment that everyone wants to hang out is a chance for me to see her everytime.

To be perfectly honest, I never really found this kind of attraction with anybody else. I have had my fair share of flings around my high school days and a few more during my early working life. Somehow, Taeyeon comes into my life all of a sudden and all of that is broken. I have never fell so hard for someone until her.

 

The countdown soon started appearing on the TV. Taeyeon immediately rushed outside and I followed suit after her. The chilly breeze immediately swept off the warmth through my body. I looked to my side to see if Taeyeon was doing fine but she seemed too excited for the fireworks to pay attention to the cold winter air surrounding us.

"3..."

"2..."

"1..."

I could hear everyone from surrounding neighborhoods cheering as fireworks soon started showing up at the sky. Despite the snowy winter, the city were still able to light up the fire works and illuminate the night sky above us with a beautiful presentation.

Side by side, Taeyeon and I were watching the fireworks sparkle up the dark sky above us. I looked towards her and saw the lights sparkle up her eyes. She seemed to sense that I was looking at her so she turned her head towards me.

"Are you not enjoying the fireworks? What's wrong?" she asked out of concern.

"I am," I smiled and chuckled, "you're just too cute, watching the fireworks like a little kid at a candy store."

"Hey, that's insulting," she pouted.

"Okay, okay, I'll stop," I giggled and continued to watch the fireworks with her on my balcony.

I wanted to keep looking at her while she is watching the fireworks but I guess it would be too awkward to. I could only dream of a time that we are watching the fireworks together as a couple. Only a dream...

"Seriously..."

I turned my gaze back at Taeyeon, who was looking at me concerned once again.

"... I thought you like watching the fireworks?"

I gave a soft chuckle.

"I'm sorry, I had things in my mind," I excused myself.

"Something the matter?" she asked, "are you still dismayed that everyone couldn't come party it up at your place?"

"No," I shook my head with a smile, "there are other things I am thinking about."

"I see... you don't have to share it if you don't want to," she smiled, "whatever it is you're worried about, I'm sure the New Year will greet you nicely and treat you well to extinguish those things in your head."

Taeyeon reached out with both arms and proceeded to touch the ends of my lips with her fingers, stretching them to force a smile to come out.

"You should be happy Jessi, okay? Whatever your worries are, I'm here for you."

I am standing here face to face with the person I care about the most. The fireworks were lighting up the sky above us. Her eyes were twinkling from every sparkle from the fireworks.

All of a sudden, every moment I have of Taeyeon appeared right in front of me.

The moment I saw Taeyeon.

The moment I first hung out with Taeyeon.

The moment I went out alone with Taeyeon.

The moment I saw Taeyeon cry.

The moment I saw Taeyeon so stressed out.

The moment I saw Taeyeon drunk.

The moment I saw Taeyeon fall asleep.

The moment I saw Taeyeon laugh so hard.

The moment I saw... Taeyeon.

"Earth to Jessica?"

I was suddenly zapped back to reality and Taeyeon is still standing in front of me with her fingers on the ends of my lips.

"Do you really want me to tell you what was in my head?" I let out a deep sigh.

"Sure," she nodded and brought her arms down.

I mustered up every courage I could ever have at the moment and clenched both my hands next to me.

"Do you remember the first time you came into work and locked eyes with me?" I asked her.

"... Yes?" she seemed confused about the question but kept mum.

"Do you remember when we hung out the first time? How about the time I comforted you when you were crying? And the time you comforted me when I cried?"

Taeyeon nodded her head slightly.

"I've been having this one question in my head this whole time and I was wondering if I'm just crazy or whatever," I chuckled nervously, "maybe I'm just crazy with my thoughts..."

I could feel my heart beating faster, getting nervous by the moment. I do not know why I am all of a sudden coming out like this to her.

"... Taeyeon, I hope you don't look at me any different than you do right now and this might sound selfish but I want to know if you feel the way like I do... with you."

Taeyeon stayed silent. Maybe I am just being crazy.

"W-What are you saying, Jessica?" she seemed lost and confused with what I was saying. Maybe she is just trying to avoid the whole conversation.

However, I already started it. I might as well get an answer whether I would like it or not.

"When you stare at me... do you feel the way like I do? Does your heart beat fast when I'm around? Do you dream of things involving us two? Because... that's how I feel when I'm with you... That's how I feel towards you."

If anything, I just want a chance... at the very least.

Taeyeon chuckled all of a sudden.

"I... Did I sound too crazy just now?" I asked, embarassed with the words that came out of my mouth.

"Took you that long enough?" she smiled sheepishly and covered her cheeks, "geez, it's cold as heck out here. Maybe we should go inside..."

Was that an answer?

"Am I dreaming or was that a 'yes'?"

"I don't know, Jess. Maybe you should figure it out," she looked away.

"Wait..."

I grabbed Taeyeon from behind and brought her closer to me. My heart started beating even faster with her so close in front of me. As I looked upon her eyes, it glistened ever so lovingly.

"Taeyeon..."

I tightened my grip and closed my eyes as I leaned in towards her. My lips immediately met with hers and my heart was definitely gushing. I wonder if she could feel my heart beat this crazy for her. I can feel hers do so.

Slowly, I felt her arms creep their way behind my neck, pulling me closer towards her.

Tonight, I celebrate the New Year kissing the girl I have had my deepest feelings for. Tonight, my arms are pulling Taeyeon closer to me. Tonight, Taeyeon's arms are pulling me closer to her. Tonight... our hearts are beating as one.

Tell me that I am not dreaming at all...

 

I wake up all of a sudden and immediately turned to my nightstand to reach for my phone. I looked at the clock and it was around 11AM already. It was the first day of the year and I just had the most incredible dream.

Suddenly, a movement and a slight moan caught my attention right next to me.

I just realized that my dream was not a dream at all...

Her eyes slowly opened and looked at me as she scrunched her eyes from the light emitting from the windows. She immediately smiled at me.

"Good morning, Jessica."

What a wonderful thing to wake up to...

"Good morning," I smiled back sweetly at Taeyeon.

Before I could get up from the bed, she immediately grabbed my arm and pulled me back closer to her.

"Let's sleep some more to make up for the days that we didn't sleep next to each other," she suggested to me with closed eyes, snuggling towards my shoulder.

"Sounds good," I chuckled and kissed her forehead.

Last night seemed like a dream. I could not believe what all happened. Now that I am awake, I could definitely tell everything was not a dream at all. Taeyeon felt the way like I did towards her and that is all that matters, especially this New Years...

 

----------

A/N: Long time no update but I hope everyone had a good New Year! I wish for everyone to have many blessings to come this 2023. Thank you for tuning in! Song inspiration from Nasri - Like I Do