Deja Vu: The End and New Beginnings

We Are Unbreakable

A/N: How's everyone? I've had this concept in my head for a while but it's been a while since I was able to sit down and work on it. Finally, here it goes.

PS: In no way do I declare that most of the history going on in this story is accurate. I did research a bit and understood as much as I could but I could not accurately depict that the timeline of the history in South Korea is accurate.

PSS: This has been weeks in the works and it seems like it's going to be longer than I thought so I decided to cut it in two parts. ENJOY! :)

---

Do you believe in the next life after yours ends in your lifetime? Do you believe you can be reincarnated with the same soul but different body? It's interesting how most of us have something happen to us in particular that seem so familiar, like it had happened before. This glitch in the memory is nearly unexplained and there are a lot of speculations regarding the mystery. Has it happened to you before? I'm sure most of us have had at least one deja vu in our lifetime.

It was 1980 when Kim Taeyeon and I met. She was going to the same high school I was going through. She wasn't as popular and so was I. She was quite a simpleton. She was short, cute, and smiled at you when you talk to her. Taeyeon usually kept to herself most of the time and only had a few friends. Meanwhile, I had a few sets of friends I could go to and know at least half of the people in the highschool population. I don't know what drew me to her but I'm guessing it was when we were sitting side by side at freshman year.

Taeyeon liked doodling. You could tell when she's bored in class when she doodles in her notebook. Most of the time, the teacher would catch her attention, but surprisingly, she was able to pick up where the teacher left off and she would be let go. I thought to myself that this girl is extraordinary and should probably go to a more prestigious high school. When we were going through something I wouldn't understand, I would rely on Taeyeon to explain it to me after the class ended. It went from school talks to home visits. Taeyeon became one of my closest friends and probably my best friend.

We spent our time together up until after high school. Women's education was a little taboo in our era that about half of the women here pursued education. Around this time, the women in South Korea are slowly evolving to women of their own instead of relying on men to protect them and further help them in life. Women are becoming slowly liberated, but that doesn't say much about the much taboo topic of being gay in South Korea.

I have grown a liking towards Taeyeon and she knew about it. We both had mutual feelings towards each other but I was the one to confess first. She's a shy girl so I wasn't expecting her to say anything about it anyway, especially since being gay is something that is highly frowned upon. If we were to be found out, we would be in trouble, not just from our parents but from our neighbors and peers as well. Taeyeon and I decided to keep it amongst ourselves and we would secretly be intimate together when either of us are in the other's room.

"Hey, Sooyeon, can you help me with this question?" Taeyeon nudged over to me. We were both laying down on our stomachs on top of my bed. We were doing college homework together. This time around, we were both staying in a dormitory so we had our own privacy and we didn't have to worry about our parents at all.

"You know I probably can't answer that since we are on different levels right? You are far brighter than I am." What a miracle for her to even ask me such things.

"Please, I'm not that smart you know? I also have my downfalls. Maybe you'd have a better clue on how to answer this."

I looked over at her textbook and read through the question she was struggling at. I felt my brain get fried after reading all of that. I glared at her and scoffed. "I can't answer that, stupid!"

"I mean... we're both stupid for not being able to answer this," she laughed.

"You right," I sighed. I set aside my textbooks and notebook and plopped myself to the bed. My brain was exhausted after all the studying and homework I just did. It does feel nice to have the love of my life by my side though. It did give me an idea that maybe Taeyeon and I can take a break and go somewhere. I faced her. She glanced at me with a questioning look then I asked, "would you like to get some ice cream down the road?"

Taeyeon immediately closed her textbook and just nodded with a serious face. She must have been tired too.

We both got up from the bed and fixed ourselves before going out. The convenience store wasn't that far from our dormitory so all we had to do was walk a little and probably go back inside after to continue studying and doing our homeworks. Taeyeon headed out first, held out the door for me, and then we walked side by side. It feels nice to do little things with this little cutie right beside me.

As we crossed the road, there was a split second where I saw everyone move out of the way and everyone shouting until all of a sudden I just see myself floating above the ground with Taeyeon. We both caught a glance at each other, lost in what just happened, until both our bodies finally reached the ground. I can feel everyone surrounding us while I was still lost on what happened. I looked over to Taeyeon's direction and she was unconscious, lots of blood was surrounding her. I saw someone look over at me but everything seemed mute and all I cared about was how Taeyeon was doing.

"T-Taeyeon-ah..." I tried to speak but I was slowly losing consciousness.

 

It was a Monday, March of 2006 and school was starting all around. I'm now in my senior year of high school and I only have a year until I can go to college. I wonder what the seating arrangement this time is. I hope that I could sit next to my friends although I know they may become a distraction. It would be nice to at least spend the rest of my senior year next to them though. I got in the class and saw my friends immediately so I sat beside them and greeted them.

"Yuri-ah, Sunny-ah, Yoona-yah, how are all of you guys? How was the rest of your summer?" I questioned as I sat to the empty seat by them.

"My uncle let me tour his office and met a lot of the idols! It was a lot of fun!" Sunny chimed with glee.

"Who did you meet? Oh my god! Did you meet Dong Bang Shin Ki?!" Yoona asked. She seems to be a huge fan of them.

"Not necessarily but I did meet Super Junior oppas!" Sunny squirmed.

"Who did you meet?!" Yuri asked. Seems like she's a huge fan of Super Junior while Yoona is a huge fan of Dong Bang Shin Ki.

"I met Kibum oppa and Ryeowook oppa. They stopped by and at least said 'hi' to me but the others were still busy before I left," Sunny explained her tale of meeting two of the members from Super Junior.

"At least you met them! Hook us up next time," Yuri nudged Sunny.

"Not sure if my uncle would let me," Sunny giggled.

Our homeroom teacher came in and knocked on the teacher's table loudly to catch all of our attention. Everyone stopped what they were doing and went to their respective seats. He seemed to be really strict and hopefully I wouldn't get as penalized if I did something wrong, which hopefully I wouldn't ever do anyway.

"Alright class," he began, "stand up so we can do your seating charts accordingly."

Almost everyone groaned as they stood up. Everybody seemed comfortable enough to where they were sitting previously but we all had to follow rules or else they'll definitely be on the teacher's black list.

"Alright, let's start off..." our teacher began and slowly got everyone sitting where they're supposed to be sitting for the rest of the year.

Everybody looked around to see who they're sitting next to. We all introduced ourselves a little with each other briefly before the teacher introduced himself.

"My name is Mr. Lee and I will be your homeroom teacher for the rest of the year," our teacher introduced himself, "I expect everyone to have good standards in regards to their academic progress and I expect everyone to behave well. If you're positioned to do something, I expect you to complete the task, if not, you will get penalized to where you and I would not like each other. This year is your last year in high school so hopefully we all end this school year with good hearts and good vibes."

"Ne~" everyone chimed in.

I was looking at everyone and saw lots of cute people in my class. I think I'm going to like this year. Some are very familiar as I've either been in class with them before, or I saw them around the school before. This time, I was sitting next to one of the quietest kids in my class year.

Kim Taeyeon wasn't really a familiar name around school. Maybe I saw her once or twice while I was going through my past high school years but she would be hanging out with either one or two students. She doesn't seem to have a lot of friends. She does seem carefree and loves looking out the window. Maybe she's lucky to have the window seat.

I decided I introduce myself and see how she is at least so I poked her a little. She looked over at me, a bit confused, and I waved my hand a little.

"I'm Jung Sooyeon, pleased to meet you."

Taeyeon nodded her head, "I know."

"H-Huh?" I was dumbfounded at such a response.

"Everybody in the school knows you, Sooyeon. No need to introduce yourself," she smiled.

"Ah... yeah..." I nodded nervously, "well I hope we could be good with each other. We're going to be next to each other the whole year after all."

"I agree," she nodded and proceeded to look back outside, placing the right side of her face onto a resting position upon the palm of her right hand.

I was glancing at her for a minute, still confused on what just happened, but I looked back at my homeroom teacher to listen what he had to say. Hopefully she wouldn't give me any issues for the rest of the school year. She seemed all too familiar though... as if this had happened before and as if there's a glitch in my memory that I'm missing out on.

 

As the school year passed, I realized just how much Taeyeon was a genius. She didn't have to prove herself with the teachers as she passed with flying colors everytime. How did I not recognize that Taeyeon has always been on the top 5 of the whole class year. She usually got away with looking out in the window instead of paying attention at the teacher just because she never sunk below the top 5. But here I am, struggling a little with our tests, midterms, and homeworks. I did make an acquaintance with her when I kept asking her how to solve questions or when I don't understand some of the things that are being asked on our homeworks. Taeyeon became my tutor that I never thought I would need or even hang out with.

We would usually walk after school towards her house. My parents already knew of her and how big of an impact she was with my grades. I always have been a 'C' student and I never thought of really improving because 'C' is pretty much passing and I cared mostly about my friends and the sports events happening at school. Meanwhile, Taeyeon was a studious introvert that never cared about being 'out there' and cared more about her passing through school. It seems as if it was fate for the both of us to happen. We were both in different worlds but somehow, we became friends.

"Welcome, Sooyeon-ah. Your mother came by earlier and provided some beef bulgogi knowing that you're coming over after school. It would be wise for both of you to eat to fuel your brains!" Taeyeon's mother greeted as soon as we walked into the house.

"Yes ma'am," I nodded.

Taeyeon and I followed Mrs. Kim to their dining room and saw that dinner was all prepared with the said beef bulgogi in the middle of the table. The plates and glasses were already arranged and extra food was also prepared and set at the table. I sat next to Taeyeon while her little sister, Hayeon, sat across from Taeyeon. Mrs. Kim sat in front of me after fetching some more stuff.

"Go ahead and enjoy the meal!" Mrs. Kim encouraged us.

"Thanks for the meal," the rest of us chimed in as we dug into the food presented to us. 

In all actuality, it's been always like this whenever I came over Taeyeon's house. Mrs. Kim would always have food already prepared and we would all eat together as if I was already part of their family. Mrs. Kim would go out afterwards to bring dinner for Mr. Kim. Taeyeon's father owns an optical shop and it closes around 9PM so he would usually miss family dinners on main business days.

 

Like clockwork, Taeyeon and I finished eating and immediately headed up to her room so Taeyeon can tutor me like usual. I was particularly struggling on our most recent homework and thankfully, as usual, Taeyeon knew the answer.

"You know Taeyeon, you should possibly consider being a tutor as a career, or a teacher even," I remarked in the midst of me doing my homework on her desk.

"That's definitely something I don't wish to do. I don't want to keep tutoring other Jessica's in my life," she scoffed. Jessica is my English name.

My family moved back to South Korea when I was in elementary school so my sister Soojung, aka Krystal, can focus on being the child star that she is. It's probably one of the reasons why I'm quite popular in school. With Taeyeon though, I don't feel as if she sticks with me because I have a child star younger sister. I can just be me, Jung Sooyeon, aka Jessica.

"Ya... am I that bad?"

"You're always here, what does that tell you?" she smirked then dodged as I threw an eraser at her direction, "are you trying to die today?!"

I laughed out loud. Who knew it would be fun to hang out with a seemingly introverted and quiet person? I guess not all introverts and quiet people are boring as they proclaim them to be on TV. I loved how Taeyeon and I immediately bonded after that one time I questioned her about what was going on. After that, I never stopped bothering her when I had questions. At first, she seemed quite annoyed, but I guess she got used to the antics. And now I'm even welcomed inside her home. It feels as though we've known each other for years on end even if we just know each other for about half a year now.

"You know, Taeyeon, I feel like we were friends in our past lives... don't you think?" I opened up.

"Why do you think that way?" she questioned as she bit on the end of her pen, reading her textbook while laying on her stomach on her bed.

"I feel like this is all too familiar, like we've been doing this for years now."

"What have you been eating?" she chuckled.

"Ya, I'm serious!" I snarled.

"Be serious with your studies! Aish!"

"Ne~" I chimed as if Taeyeon was a teacher I respected and went back on my studies.

 

It was getting too late and I finally finished all my homework and understood some of the things that we've covered today in class. I gave Taeyeon a pat in the back and bowed to her to thank her for her efforts in helping me through my senior year. Taeyeon just nodded and smiled. I would do this everytime I came over her house to let her know how much I appreciated her helping me out.

"Next time I'll treat you with some bingsoo!" I offered.

"You better or else I'll hunt you down!"

"I promise," I chuckled and bid farewell as I started making my way back to my house.

I always leave with a good feeling whenever I leave Taeyeon's house. I'm always all smiles. I usually hung out with her and I felt like I've been neglecting Yuri, Sunny, and Yoona although they understood why I would come over Taeyeon's house. They were also 'C' students and are focusing more on their studies this year to go to a good college. They even asked if Taeyeon could tutor them to which Taeyeon agreed but I never told them. Maybe I just wanted Taeyeon to teach only me. Maybe I didn't want to get too distracted with them being around.

To be honest, I've been noticing more of Taeyeon than I ever imagined. Ever since the time we sat next to each other, I've always glanced over at her, how peaceful and blissful she looked while she would stare outside the windows. I wonder what she would dream of and why she would always stare out of the window all the time. I would also, casually, see her doodling on her notebook and she would always draw a butterfly. I wonder if that's what she would have wanted to be if she had a choice. It fits her character. Butterflies are soft, delicate, gentle, quiet, and beautiful... just like her.

There is a sense of beauty towards her that I couldn't explain. She was radiant. Her milky white skin was something out of the ordinary. Did I mention that her intelligence is actually quite y? Could you even describe an attribute like that? All I knew was that she was extraordinary and a catch to my eyes. Taeyeon was a good part of my days.

 

I came over Taeyeon's house to hang out with her for my promised bingsoo treat. Mrs. Kim answered the door, greeted me with a smile, and let me in immediately.

"Taeyeon is still getting ready. It's been a while since she's been out of the house and I'm glad you could take her out!" Mrs. Kim told me with a huge smile.

God, how long has Taeyeon been a hermit? I thought she had friends. Maybe she only met up with them at school usually. Well... knowing Taeyeon, she's a damn introvert that enjoyed laying in bed with headphones on, listening to music as she stared at the ceiling, laying on her bed, or watching out of her window, looking at the sky whether it be a good sky blue or a dark grey.

Thankfully Taeyeon finished and appeared right in front of me when I was waiting for her at their dining table. Taeyeon seemed to be a very comfortable fashionista.

"My daughter, a fashion terrorist," her mother sighed.

"I barely go out and I barely have any 'going out' clothes. You know that mom," Taeyeon scoffed.

Mrs. Kim turned to me and asked, "why don't you make a stop at the mall to pick out some clothes for her?"

"This is unnecessary spending," Taeyeon sighed but knew she couldn't do anything about it because she's her mom.

"Don't worry, I'll pick up some clothes for her," I smiled and bowed to her as I stood up from the chair, getting ready to leave with Taeyeon.

"Alright, we're going to head out now mom!" Taeyeon told her mother as she was walking towards the door with me trailing behind her.

"Get home safely!" Mrs. Kim yelled out before the door closed behind us.

Taeyeon stopped her steps for a second and sighed. She turned around and looked at me with a questioning and mean look. "We're not going to shop for clothes aren't we? I thought we were just getting bingsoo."

"Taeyeon," I held her shoulders, "your mom would probably kill me if I don't do as she wishes. Plus..." I pulled out money from my sleeves, "she handed me money to pay for your clothes."

"You know I never really shopped for clothes for a while now. I barely even go out!" Taeyeon stomped the ground.

"Don't be such a brat now. Don't worry, I won't change your fashion sense that much," I giggled and proceeded to walk towards a bingsoo shop, grabbing Taeyeon's arm.

 

There was a bingsoo place at the mall so I changed my previous plans on going to this particular bingsoo place I've been thinking and thought we might as well hit two birds with one stone. The bingsoo place at the mall was pretty popular as well, although it's probably because it was at the mall. Eitherway, it was a good hang out place. The only thing is, it can get pretty noisy and crowded at times, much to my dismay.

We were standing in front of a crosswalk, waiting for our signal to cross. Taeyeon was looking up at the sky once again and it always came to my mind to ask her the question why she likes staring up at the sky. Today seemed like a good time to ask her about it.

"Hey," I nudged to her, disrupting her gaze at the nice blue sky, "do you like the sky that much?"

"I guess," she raised her shoulders in question, "I've just always looked up at the sky."

"So you're saying it's a habit?" I giggled.

"Well... you could say that. But I have things inside my head that I think about and looking up at the sky helps alleviate it sometimes," she explained, "it's as if the sky is my counselor, hearing the thoughts in my mind."

"Hm... I see... and what are those thoughts?" I was curious as to what this quiet girl possibly had in her mind this whole time. Is that why she's a quiet person? She has a lot of conversations going inside her head?

"Well..." Taeyeon thought, "I would try to picture my future and would always think about what I should really do in life as an adult. What would my adult life would look like? How Jung Sooyeon would be like if she was an introverted little ball..."

"Ya!" I hit Taeyeon's arm.

Taeyeon winced in pain and caressed her arm.

"Don't even pretend it hurt that bad," I mocked.

"Do you know how delicate my skin is?!" Taeyeon came to a defense and giggled, "I'm going to tell people you abuse me!"

"Don't you even dare---"

"The signal's there. Come on, let's go," Taeyeon pulled my arm as she crossed the street.

People around us immediately ran away and I looked over to my side to see an oncoming car coming straight my direction.

"Sooyeon-ah!"

People started to scream until I just saw myself land on the ground. I looked over at Taeyeon, concerned and shocked about what had happened. Taeyeon looked over to me. She had a few scratches on her. The car already drove away. I wonder if they had a failing brakes or if the driver just didn't care at all. If anything, I hope that driver is pursued for negligence. Almost everyone that saw the incident rushed towards us and asked if we were fine. Some called the cops and some called 119. I was thankful that I was fine with only bruises left to me. Suddenly it just hit me... this seems all too familiar.

"T-Taeyeon-ah..."

Taeyeon crawled over to me, wincing a little bit over her scratches and bruises. She seemed happy to see that I was conscious at least.

"Are you alright? Do you feel like you've broken some bones?" Taeyeon asked me.

"N-No... I don't think so at least" I shook my head and asked her, "... what about you? Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine, just a few scratches... I'm going to call my mom and tell her what happened. You should probably call your mother as well," she suggested.

"I'll do that now," I nodded and sat up.

People were still surrounding us to make sure we were fine. Soon, the police and ambulance came. The police had asked bystanders upon what happened while the medics tended to Taeyeon and I and so with the others who were a little bit injured from rushing out of the scene. Both our mothers told us to stay put and that they would be rushing over so we did as we were told. Eitherway, they had a lot of downtime as we were still being questioned and treated over our wounds.

"I think it's best we take you to the hospital and do an x-ray just in case you have any cracked or broken bones from what happened," the medics suggested to Taeyeon and I.

"Is it possible that we wait for our parents? They'll be here soon," Taeyeon asked the medics.

"Taeyeon-ah!"

Mrs. Kim shouted and rushed towards Taeyeon. She came in at the right time together with my mother, who rushed towards me. They both turned to the medics to see what was happening and the medics explained to them what their plan was. Both our mothers agreed and we were soon taken inside an ambulance and headed towards the hospital to get checked. It was quite hard to move around due to the impact of me dropping to the ground. If I may recall, Taeyeon pulled me away abruptly. She was a life saver. It was still quite weird what happened back there though... it was as if this has happened before. Is fate trying to take its toll on me? Why does this feel all too familiar. Maybe I should ask my mother if I have been in an accident before.

 

Hours passed at the hospital as Taeyeon and I got tested and we were both in different cubicles in the ER. We were both waiting for the results and would ask each other's mothers if one is cleared or if one is alright. It seems like Taeyeon was still in the ER with me so, as bad as it was, it gave me a sign of relief that I wasn't all alone along with my mother. The doctors soon came after though and explained the results.

"So, the good news is that there was no broken bones at all throughout your body, especially in your painful spots. All we need to do is treat the burns, cuts, and bruises you have and you'll be good to go home with some antibiotics and some ointments along with gauzes to close up the wounds," the doctor told my mother and I.

"What about Taeyeon? Is she doing well?" I asked the doctor.

"Yes, your friend is doing well. You should see her shortly," the doctor smiled, "anyway, I'll go ahead and input all of these in for you guys to pick it up at our pharmacy. It should take about 30 minutes to an hour but one of our nurses will give you the 'good-to-go' once everything is set up. Did you guys have any other questions?"

"No doctor, thank you," my mother told the doctor. He nodded once and left our cubicle. My mother turned her attention back towards me and held my hand. "I'm so glad you're okay."

With the accident being all too familiar, I decided to ask my mother about my worries, "Mom, was I ever in an accident before?"

My mother seemed confused about my question. "Why you would you ask that? You've never been in an accident before."

"I was just wondering. I feel like it happened to me before and I just couldn't remember it..."

"I think I need the doctor back here," my mother sighed, "seems like the accident knocked the wind out of you."

So I didn't have an accident but what was that I felt? Taeyeon didn't survive when I had that memory lapse. At least in this time, Taeyeon and I both survived the accident. I wouldn't know what to do if Taeyeon died, especially because of me. Maybe the bingsoo idea wasn't a good idea after all, unless I'm just overthinking.

 

Taeyeon and I got released from the hospital and our parents decided that it was best we stay at home for a while and resume studying together after a week or so when all our wounds were healed. The only time I could talk to Taeyeon was when we had school together. It was also the only time I could ask her for help on homework or questions in regards to our lessons. But maybe it was for the better that we recover. I'm still shook about what happened but also still wondering what this familiar feeling I've been having all along. Taeyeon seemed like the carefree person that she was. It didn't seem like the accident fazed her at all.

"Taeyeon-ah," I nudged at her. It was our lunch break and I decided to spend some of my lunch time with her inside the classroom, "are you not worried after the accident?"

"No," she shook her head, "we are both fine. That's all there is to it."

"Don't you feel like it had happened before? Like it was all too familiar?" I couldn't help but ask. I couldn't get it out of my head and it's irritating me. 

"To be honest..." Taeyeon began. It gave me hopes that I'm not crazy, "... the moment I've met you, you've been quite a familiar all along."

"So I'm not crazy?"

"I mean... you are," Taeyeon smirked, causing myself to immediately give her a slap on the arm, "anyway, no, you're right. I was actually wondering that myself, why you were such a familiar person. Maybe it's because of what you said... Maybe this all happened before. I'm not certain with everything for sure but there might be a phenomena about all of this... you know? Deja vu?"

"What if we seek a medium when we're allowed to go out together again?" I suggested.

"Would that be necessary? What matters is that we both know each other and we're both alive, right?" Taeyeon was looking at me in some type of way that made my heart definitely skip a an irregular beat. Unless it was something because of what she said.

 

After that talk, we became closer than ever. I wonder if it was because Taeyeon finally felt so close with me that she decided to let loose and open up instead of keeping her thoughts inside her little head. She looked at the sky a little bit less and interacted with me a little bit more. Maybe it's a little win for the both of us I guess. I wonder how long she's had the hunch about the whole familiarity. Maybe that's why she was closed off? Maybe she was afraid? I could only assume.

"Hey Sooyeon, what are you doing after school?" Yuri asked. We were both in the washroom, washing our hands, "you should probably take a break from studying and let loose a little!"

I've been studying and focusing on my grades so much that I went up from a 'C' student to being a 'B' student. Maybe I could skip studying for a while and hang out with Yuri, Sunny, and Yoona again. After all, we haven't hung out in a while. Our senior year days are going to end at some point soon and I couldn't believe I've missed out on hanging out with them. At the start of the school year, I wanted to sit next to them but Taeyeon turned my life around and my days were all about her.

"I'll have to ask my parents if anything," I told Yuri. After all, I don't want my parents to lose trust on me.

"Totally. Just send me a message if you're able to make it. Lots of us are going to be there so you definitely shouldn't miss out! It's like one of the biggest senior parties ever!"

"Alright, I'll send you a message."

Yuri leaned over and whispered in my ear, "you can even invite that girl, Taeyeon, over. I'm sure she hasn't been in any parties before. Wouldn't it be a waste for her senior year to be without a senior party? It's a good time for her to also let loose a little and maybe we could get to know her better."

"I'm sure Taeyeon is perfectly fine without the whole party scene. She's not the type to."

"What's going on with you, Sooyeon? You've been lowering your reputation. Why are you hanging out with that girl? Are you forgetting that we are your friends?" Yuri scoffed, "you haven't even hung out with us since the beginning of school. You slowly drifted away and started hanging out with that brainiac. We've been your friends for years now, Sooyeon. Where is the Sooyeon we know?!"

"First off," I turned the faucet off and pushed Yuri a little, "Taeyeon was the one who kept me straight this whole time. I went from being a 'C' student to being a 'B' student. I sacrificed my social life just to push my grades up because maybe I wanted to actually graduate and make it to a better college than if I stay having a C as my overall grade."

"What happened to you? What did she put in your drink?" Yuri scoffed, "why'd you let that nerd change you?!"

We both heard a sudden noise coming from one of the stalls. We just realized that there was someone with us inside the room. I looked down at the little gap on the door stall and confirmed someone was inside.

"Whoever you are, come out already," Yuri yelled.

Yuri and I waited for the person in the stall to come out. We heard a click and the door slowly opened.

"T-Taeyeon..." I stuttered. Why does this feel like a movie where the least person you expect to be there at that time is the one that surprisingly makes an appearance?

"S-Sorry..." Taeyeon bowed and bolted out of the room.

"Taeyeon---" I was about to run out and catch up to her but Yuri held onto my arm and held me back. I looked back at her, angry at the fact she said those things about Taeyeon.

"If you run after her, I swear, consider yourself out of our circle!" Yuri threatened. It didn't faze me though. I didn't care anymore at this point. Why does it require a consequence for me to even be friends with someone else? Why can't I just be friends with whoever? If being friends with Yuri and the others have certain limitations to who I can hang out with, then I might as well not be friends with them and befriend whoever I want freely without restrictions.

I ran out of the washroom and turned both ways to see where she would have gone. I saw her silhouette running towards from my left side direction. "Taeyeon!" I shouted but she just kept running. I kept running and saw her make a turn inside our classroom. At least she's not running any further.

As soon as I reached the classroom, I saw her packing up her belongings in a speedy manner. We were the only ones inside the classroom, it seems, as everyone probably have already left while I was in the washroom. Why did Yuri have to say all those things... and why did Taeyeon have to be there out of all times?

"Taeyeon-ah," I reached for her arm but she brushed me away, "don't listen to what Yuri was saying. It's ridiculous what she said inside the washroom."

Taeyeon paused and looked over to me. "I think it's best we just forget that we were ever friends. I did not mean to intrude against your clique. I find it ridiculous for a popular woman like you to even be friends with an introvert, mediocre woman like me anyway," she uttered.

"What are you saying? You're definitely more than that! And why do we have to hang out with only people within our social cues? I could care less if you and I are in two different worlds!" I exclaimed.

"I don't like trouble, Sooyeon. If anything, I want my senior to be drama free." Taeyeon turned back to packing her belongings, picked up her bag strap and placed it upon her shoulder. "If you still want to be tutored, we can probably do it during the weekends on times it doesn't conflict with your friends' schedule.

"Why are you so resistant? It's as if we never had a bond." I clenched my hands. Why is she reacting like this? Was everything we had meaningless to her?

"I..." she sighed, "... just don't want to meddle in between people's problems. You were their friend first and I do have to admit that it was pretty weird that you seemed to ignore them over time. Again, I'll be fine. I have my set of friends and you have yours."

"What if..." I inched closer and slowly held her hand, "... maybe you mean more to me than them?"

"Over the year compared to the years you've been hanging out with them?" Taeyeon questioned.

"Maybe..." I pulled her closer to me, cupping her face with my other hand immediately, and stared at her deep in the eyes, "... I don't know what I'm feeling, but I know that I don't want to stop talking to you. I look forward to the every day we sit next to each other. I think about you a lot and maybe... maybe I like you more than how friends normally would."

"Then the more reason we should avoid each other." Taeyeon pulled away and proceeded to walk out of the classroom.

Have I been rejected just now? Why am I feeling like this all of a sudden? It just seemed natural for me to do all of that even if it wasn't normal. I wonder if Taeyeon feels disgusted about me now. Am I going to be able to hang out with her again?

 

I decided to stop at a psychic to check out this phenomena Taeyeon and I talked about. If it so happens to all be deja vu, I wonder if it was fate that we knew each other all along. I also wonder what's going to happen with the both of us, if anything. Are we going to move on after highschool without talking to each other ever again? I know after I ran after her from washroom, I already called it quits with Yuri and the others. I've had a fair share of nice memories and bad memories with them. Looking back on it, they were all fun times eitherway. But now that my head and heart is telling me to do something else with my life, I couldn't seem to keep up with the notion of being friends with them anymore. I've got to find the answers to this sort of memory lapse or so called deja vu to explain the weird familiarity I have with Taeyeon and the accident.

I was given a 30 minute session with the psychic. I sat down on the psychic's little room and asked her about my past life, if anything, that may possibly lead to my answers. After all, if this all happened in the past life, it may make sense why those memories and events seem all too familiar. 

The psychic held my hands with the crystal ball in between us. She had her eyes closed while she concentrated on her readings. This was my first time being with a psychic and having my past life looked at. Hopefully things aren't all that bad.

"I see a woman in your past life... actually two women..." the psychic uttered as she kept on concentrating, "... two women with a very special bond. Both of them are inseparable..."

"What ended my past life?" I asked her.

"I was getting to that..." the psychic hushed me quick, not wanting her concentration to be interrupted, and continued, "... I hear a sudden bang... a loud sound... It's not really clear what happened back then but it can be because of an explosives, car crash, or other things that makes a loud sound..."

"You said there were two women in my past life... who is this other woman and are they also in this present time?" I asked another question.

"You've already met this person... and I believe you already know who I'm talking about," the psychic looked at me straight in the eyes, "but I must warn you, your destiny with this person will always end in tragedy."

Yes, it's obvious that I knew who this person was already. Surprisingly, the psychic knew although I should have known she already knew. My destiny with this person will always end in tragedy... I still couldn't believe it at this point. We dodged the accident that ended our past life... Does that mean there's more things to come our way? Does that mean if Taeyeon and I continued being together, we'll both die in the end? Why is God so cruel?

 

As I lay in my bed at night, I couldn't erase the feeling of sadness I had within me. First, I get rejected by Taeyeon, and now the psychic is telling me that Taeyeon and I will both die if we're together. I don't want to stop seeing Taeyeon but I also don't want us both to die. I wonder if I should even trust the psychic although what they really said hit home. I don't want to believe that this is the reality I have to face. I wonder what Taeyeon will think if I told her about the crazy reading I got from the psychic. It's not that late so maybe I should hit her up. After all, I still have her number.

"Hey Taengoo, you up? I talked to a psychic today and the reading was ridiculous!" I messaged her. Now it's just a waiting game for her reply.

"Hey Jessica, do you not know what rejection is?" she replied back. That was fast, and mean.

I decided to call her instead since she's up and replying fast. It'll be easier to talk to her this way than just messaging back and forth.

"What do you want, Jessica?" Taeyeon sounded annoyed.

"Do you despise me that much? Is it because I just basically told you I'm gay for you?" I questioned.

"It's not that---"

"Then what is it?"

"I simply do not like you that way," Taeyeon sighed.

"Then that's fine. But can we stay friends? I don't want to lose connection with you."

I can hear her sigh again from the other end of the line. I wonder what she's really thinking throughout all of this. Maybe she's disgusted by the fact that I had feelings for her or the fact that I'm gay... for her. Maybe I should take this as a sign that we should just stay apart from each other before everything ends in tragedy like the psychic said. I don't want to lose her but I also don't want her to die. If it meant sacrificing my connection with her just to save her life... then I guess that's a price I'm willing to pay.