The Sky's the Trigger

We Are Unbreakable

When I was done with my work at the conference room, I noticed how bright the room was. The sun's rays penetrated the glass windows. I looked outside and saw just how beautiful the skies were. The sky was of a beautiful blue hue filled with cumulus clouds. However, it reminded me of the day when everything started. The sky was the same way it looked that day.

The thought of you never left my mind, especially with a sky like this. Reaching for my phone on my pocket, I decided to watch a video of you on our graduation day. It was the moment I finally expressed how I have been feeling since the day I met you.

"After we graduate, we're going to get married!" you said happily on the video.

It was not a suprise at all. I knew things would eventually lead towards that way.

In the video, you seemed very happy about graduating and getting married right after. No matter how happy you were, I wished it could have been me instead. And before it was too late, that day was the day I chose to convey my feelings.

Remembering how your lips felt upon mine, I slowly reached for my lips as I looked over the sky that reminded me of you.

 

It was April 9th, the start of a new school year. I arrived early to school and sat by the window to claim my seat. Luckily, I was the first one to arrive. I decided to bring out my notebook and pen, writing things down on what I need to do for the day. Just as I was in the middle of my thoughts, I noticed someone arrive to the seat next to me. Paying no mind, that someone grabbed my attention as they tapped my shoulder. I quickly turned my head to the sight of them.

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Jung Sooyeon," they told me with a bright, warm smile.

Shyly, I replied, "I'm Kim Taeyeon."

"Yes," Sooyeon nodded, "I know."

"Huh?" I was shocked that this person knew me.

"I always thought you were cute and I'm glad we're in the same class," she confessed.

It was pretty bold for her to say such things. It was the first time someone complimented me like that as well.

"Um..." she had a curious look on her face, "... pardon me for a bit."

Sooyeon reached over as I twitched a little, surprised by the sudden movement. She held onto my glasses with those delicate fingers of hers and brought my glasses down to my nose. I was confused with what was happening until I met her curious eyes. Suddenly, I felt my heart pounding faster. Unsure of what to do, I looked away from her gaze.

"I knew it! You're so cute!" she told me with glee.

However, that cheerful smile suddenly turned into a frown. She crossed her arms on top of the table and leaned her head against it while looking at me.

"But I kinda don't want to let others know about it."

Suddenly, a male student walked up to Sooyeon and grabbed her attention. I shuffled my hands up to my glasses, putting them back securely behind my ears. Diverting my attention away from them, I looked out the window and saw how beautiful the skies were.

That was when everything started between you and I.

 

From then on, Sooyeon and I started growing closer together. We would exchange each others notes in class, eat together during recess and lunch time, and hang out after school. She brought me out from being a wallflower into someone that was comfortable with herself. The amount of compliments she gave me were endless as she would keep reminding me just how cute I was to her.

Because of her, I decided to put on contacts and put my glasses aside in order for her to see the beauty she said I had. We reached our final year college together and I wanted her to know just how beautiful I have matured. Shocked about my sudden change, she overfilled me with compliments.

"Wow! You look so beautiful without your glasses," Sooyeon complimented me, "I really like this new look you have!"

"You think so?" I asked her, "you kept telling me how cute I was without my glasses off so I decided to put on contacts."

"Rightfully so," she beamed a smile at me, "I'm sure all the guys are going to fawn over you even more now."

If only she knew I was not doing this for just anyone.

"That makes me sad though," her smile turned into a frown, "I'm going to be jealous."

I thought it was the perfect time to hand her the fair tickets I had just bought for the both of us. But suddenly, a male student appeared on the picture. He handed her some packed food from the convenience store that he had apparently just bought. She turned her attention towards him and smiled with glee.

"Thank you Jaejoong! You're the best!" she cheered as she accepted the packed lunch.

On that first day we met, the moment I knew I developed an immediate feelings for her, I also found out that she has a boyfriend all along. That same male student that caught her attention that day was none other than Jaejoong.

"Hey, Taeyeon," Jaejoong waved his hand towards me.

I smiled slightly and bowed to acknowledge his presence.

Jaejoong turned his attention back towards Sooyeon and patted her head.

"I should get going now. I just wanted to make sure you had food for lunch," Jaejoong told Sooyeon before heading out.

After watching Jaejoong exit the room, she turned her head towards me and squealed.

"Isn't he such a sweetheart?"

The feeling of heart break loomed inside me. Instead of handing her the tickets to the fair, I decided to hide it inside my planner instead. Of course, Sooyeon is head over heels for her boyfriend of four years. There is in no way I would ever get the chance to push my way in inside her heart.

 

As much as I tried to get her attention towards me, Jaejoong would always appear in the picture. There was never a moment that Jaejoong would not interrupt our time together. From school to after hours, even on the weekends, Jaejoong would know where we were. He would usually spend time with Jessica whenever he could possible if he was not working on his part time job. Of course, it was Sooyeon that would tell him where she was, where we were.

When I invited Sooyeon to eat desserts at a local diner for just the two of us, Jaejoong just happened to interrupt us. As I was talking to Sooyeon about things, I saw him walking towards our table. He immediately slid beside Sooyeon, surprising her from his arrival.

Disappointed, I stood up from my seat and excused myself.

"Where are you going all of a sudden?" Sooyeon asked.

"I... forgot I have other things to do at home," I told her.

"Is that so?" she frowned.

"I'm sorry about this. Eitherway, you have Jaejoong to accompany you now," I told her, "so I'll just excuse myself."

I decided to pay over the counter for my food before exiting the restaurant. I just wanted the pain in my chest to go away before I could not hold it any longer. With the night sky above me, I started running away to distract me from this pain.

 

During our lunch time, Sooyeon decided we spend our time on the school's rooftop. The skies reminded me of that day as we both stared up at it while laying down on the hard, concrete rooftop. Jaejoong arrived moments later and copied us, laying beside Sooyeon.

I continued to stare up at the sky until I got distracted by her hands holding up her phone. I wondered what she was watching so I shifted my gaze towards her phone. Sooyeon started to laugh at the video she was watching. As I was about to shift closer to her, she turned towards Jaejoong and showed him the video instead.

Of course, it would be Jaejoong.

Hiding the pain I was feeling from the sight of them, I turned my back towards them as tears started flowing from my eyes. It seems like as time passed by, the more painful it felt seeing them together.

Just how much could I hold onto this feeling? Why am I still here?

 

It started to rain pretty hard as us three were hanging out together. We immediately ran for cover on one of the nearby shops that were nearby. The three of us were standing there, soaking wet from the rain.

Sooyeon reached out the palm of her fingers onto the droplets of rain pouring from above us.

"This won't do," she pursed her lips, "we should get an umbrella somewhere."

"I'll go get us umbrellas instead," I told her.

I always felt like a third wheel when we would usually go out so it made total sense in my head to volunteer myself to go to the nearby store to fetch us some umbrellas. That way, I could at least escape the sight of them.

"It's okay, I know this area pretty well," Sooyeon told me, "I'll go fetch us some instead. The store isn't too far from here."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Jaejoong asked his girlfriend.

Sooyeon shook her head in response.

"I got it. Keep Taeyeon company."

Jaejoong looked at me and turned back his gaze towards Sooyeon. He gave her an approving nod before Sooyeon ran off to the street.

An awkward atmosphere immediately surrounded us. I never was alone with Jaejoong before and neither was I comfortable around his presence anyway, knowing that he was Sooyeon's boyfriend. But instead of keeping silent, Jaejoong started to utter some words.

"So... you've been friends with Sooyeon for quite some time, right?" he asked.

"Yes..." I simply answered.

"You've been around whenever we're out and about," he chuckled.

Jaejoong got it all wrong. He is usually around whenever Sooyeon and I were out and about.

"I was wondering if..." he suddenly turned his body to face mine, "... you like me."

What is he talking about?

Jaejoong started leaning slowly towards me and I faced him, surprised at his sudden move. Why is he doing this all of a sudden? He is Sooyeon's boyfriend.

I started to think a bit more. If Jaejoong was to go out with me instead, then I could have Sooyeon's attention all to myself. But it also felt wrong.

Before Jaejoong could do anything, Sooyeon ran over to us and handed me an umbrella. She turned her cheerful gaze towards Jaejoong and opened the umbrella for the both of them. Immediately, Jaejoong went on his boyfriend mode and held the umbrella for the both of them as they started to walk away.

Standing there in silence, I was disappointed once again after the countless times I have been. It definitely was not destined for the thoughts in my head to happen.

 

It was finally graduation day for all of us. It was time to start our life as grown adults in the working industry. As much as I was dismayed that school was finally ending, I was looking forward to start my new future ahead towards endless possibilities.

"Why don't we take a video to keep this memory?" I suggested as we were walking outside after the closing ceremony.

"Good idea," Sooyeon beamed a smile, "here, take a video of us real quick. I did want to make a special announcement."

Special announcement?

Not paying any mind to her statement, I raised my phone in front of them as they posed so close together.

"It's recording now," I told them after pressing the record button.

"Okay," Sooyeon sighed to calm her nerves and smiled widely in front of the camera, "after we graduate, we're going to get married!"

Surprised at the announcement, I tried not to let it sway me at all. I kept recording, hiding my feelings from behind my phone.

"And the person I'm going to marry is..."

Just as Sooyeon was about to announce Jaejoong as her future husband, my hands started to lose grip towards my phone. Thankfully, Jaejoong caught it before it fell to the ground.

"Ah... how about we take pictures of the both of you?" Jaejoong suggested.

Jaejoong and I switched sides and Sooyeon kept her gaze towards me. As I got into position, she shifted her gaze towards the camera and posed.

After the announcement, it was all I could think of. I knew that after this day, Sooyeon would be busy making wedding arrangements with Jaejoong.

"Alright, it's still recording so say something on the camera," Jaejoong told the both of us.

Slowly turning my head towards Sooyeon, I could not hold my feelings any longer. I reached for her face, turning her head towards me. The look of confusion was plastered on Sooyeon's face just as I quickly leaned my head towards her and kissed her upon my lips.

There was an awkward silence between the three of us as I slowly pulled away. Sooyeon still looked confused as I looked at her eyes. Without wasting any time, I grabbed her hand and ran with her away from Jaejoong under the bright blue sky filled with cirrus clouds.

 

They still got married eventually and I chose not to attend their wedding ceremony. I have not talked to her since that day as I knew it would be best for me to move forward with my life, knowing that there was in no way I could sway her feelings away from Jaejoong.

"Taeyeon?"

I took my finger off my lips and quickly turned towards the voice.

"Are you done with work? I was about to leave and decided to check around to see who was still here before I locked the office doors," my co-worker informed me.

"I'm done," I smiled at her, "I'll lock it behind me, don't worry."

"Got it," she smiled and nodded in response, "then I'll get going ahead."

I stared back at the blue sky outside the window. The cirrus clouds were moving slowly with the direction of the wind. It reminded me of that day, April 9th, the start of my growing feelings towards Sooyeon. For now and onwards, the feelings that I still have for Sooyeon is a secret between the sky and I.

 

---------------------

A/N: This story was inspired by この空がトリガー (This Sky Is a Trigger) (Kono Sora ga Trigger) by =LOVE (Ikorabu). I've been paying attention to them on and off for quite some time and I just happened to watch their latest music video. Ah... what a twist! Finally, another Ikaringu (Maika and Iori) music video, even if it didn't end up well.