Caution

We Are Unbreakable

The sound of the clock blaring the speaker systems. The sound of people rushing. The sound of the chalk screeching on the blackboard. The sound of the girls' chatter. Indeed, I am in an all-girls' school. The girls here dress pretty. Most want to keep up with the latest style and show off, especially when it comes to technology like cellphones and whatnot. Most are also talking about crushes and comparing boyfriends. But what is also common when in an all-girls' school is the relationships built within classmates, romantic at that.

At the start of the school year, I was the new girl. I introduced myself in front of everyone.

"Hello, my name is Jung Sooyeon. Please take care of me."

Everyone welcomed me in unison. It seemed forced but who cares, really.

The teacher let me take a seat in the middle of the class. For some reason, that was the only chair that wasn't occupied. I wonder why. Even so, I am thankful for having had that chair. If it wasn't for my seating arrangement, I wouldn't have come across Kim Taeyeon.

Kim Taeyeon, beautiful pale skin. Straight A student. Smartest girl in the year group. The whole class envied her grades and learning skills. The students' parents wanted their children to be like her. It was apparently rare for her to agree in a relationship as she tends to focus on her studies. It's also the fact that most wanted to take advantage of her intelligence so they didn't have to do the work when it comes to homeworks, essays, you name it. But for some reason, I, Jung Sooyeon, was able to win her heart.

I took Taeyeon to the rooftop that day. She was quite bewildered why I was taking her up there but I know that she knew what was coming. I stood in front of her under a sunny day. The sun was reflecting in her eyes, making her brown eyes stand out and her pale skin look even brighter. I bowed down and held out my hand for her.

"Please go out with me," is what I simply said.

I didn't hear anything from her for a few seconds. I was getting nervous on what was going on her head. Eventually, she placed her hand upon both of mine and accepted my confession. From then on, Taeyeon and I were officially together.

"This is too sudden but I accept your feelings," she continued.

It was at that moment that I should have taken that as a caution of what was up ahead for the both of us, but most importantly, me.

Her best friend, Hwang Miyoung, usually tagged along with us even on our dates, especially on days where Taeyeon and I couldn't go to the rooftop to eat lunch. Often, Taeyeon would bring packed lunches for me, but she would also bring her best friend some when she knew it was raining. I always felt jealous of Miyoung and I never understood why. Taeyeon assures me otherwise.

 

Everytime during lunch, we would always eat on the rooftop. Nobody would usually dare disrupt our time there. After all, we were the power couple in school. Eventually, I became the school's class leader while Taeyeon was more-so respected due to her perfect academic excellence. Nobody dared to really mess with us and our time together.

On the forgotten school chairs behind the hanging white sheets, Taeyeon and I would make out with each other everytime we had the opportunity to be on the rooftop. Her plump soft lips on mine, our tongues gliding with each other, my heart beating erratically. Everything seemed perfect.

"Huff, huff," Taeyeon panted after pulling a bit away to catch her breath.

"Did you want to stop?" I asked, concerned.

"You're such a kiss hound," she sighed.

With teenage years and fluctuating hormones, what did she expect?

"Did you want to stop our daily kiss?"

"I'm just wondering... do you not ever get tired of doing the same routine?" she asked.

Taeyeon's right. We always kiss everytime we are alone on the rooftop. It was to be expected of me nowadays but the spark for me is still there. Now I'm wondering if Taeyeon's just getting tired of this routine. Maybe I should change things up a bit or hold back. But how can I hold back if her lips are so kissable and I just want to have her all to myself whenever I get the chance? Chances are, she might be swooped away by Hwang Miyoung. Although this is just an assumption, my gut feeling is telling me otherwise.

"Taeyeon," I uttered as I held onto her hand tightly, "do you even like me?"

She seemed surprised with my question. A bit of unsureness was present in her eyes.

"I..." she looked away, "... I don't know why you would ask such a thing?"

"I just want to know, just to be certain..."

"I think you're beautiful," was all she could respond.

 

Days went by and I could feel the uneasiness with Taeyeon's presence. My gut feeling was telling me once again that something is wrong. Taeyeon is with me just to be with me. I couldn't stand the thought and confronted her again and again. Yet, she gave me the same response. "You're beautiful," is what she usually said. Other than that, she would say that I'm "cute." Am I in a one-sided relationship?

"Taeyeon."

It was just us two in the classroom. Everyone else had left since class was done and we were involuntarily told to clean up after everyone since they didn't do a good job cleaning the classroom this time. I wouldn't consider it a punishment if it meant being together with Taeyeon alone. This was a chance for me to say something more.

"W-What is it?" she responded as she cleaned the blackboard.

I walked my way towards her and grabbed her hand.

"Tell me, did you want to break up with me? Do you like someone else?"

"J-Jung Sooyeon... why do you keep asking me that?"

"If you don't, then why does it feel like I'm the only one who's trying in this relationship?" I cried.

"Aish..." she scratched her head and held onto the back of my head, pulling me closer into a quick kiss on the lips. She pulled away and sighed, "... are you satisfied?"

"You're not giving me a direct answer," I wiped my tears away.

"I wouldn't go out with you if I didn't like you," she sighed, "c'mon, did you want to go home or did you want to stay here?"

"To be honest," I uttered, "I would rather be here with you than go home. At least we're alone. We're usually not even alone at all. Miyoung usually tags along with us when all I wanted was to actually be alone with you."

"The kissing dates we have isn't enough?" she sounded frustrated.

"Why do I feel like you would rather be with Miyoung than with me?"

Taeyeon paused and looked away.

"She's just my best friend... nothing more."

"To her, you're only her best friend... probably," I mentioned, "... but what about you? Do you only feel friendship towards her? Or something more?"

 

The following days after the confrontation, it didn't even seem like Taeyeon wanted to be near me. She spent more time with Miyoung and our kissing dates were basically non-existent. I probably messed up big time... but did I really? Did the confrontation reveal how she really felt towards me? Towards Miyoung?

During lunch time, I was surrounded by our classmates instead of heading to the rooftop like usual to make out with Taeyeon. Afterall, after the confrontation, I didn't find her on the rooftop like she would always be. Instead, I knew she was with Miyoung somewhere else on the school grounds.

"Do you want to walk around?" asked one of my classmates.

I didn't want to move from my seat, but I also didn't want to keep fretting about what happened. Maybe I'll find where Taeyeon is.

While walking through the bridge connecting the two school buildings with a few of my schoolmates, I just happened to look out the window and saw a familiar figure.

"Is that Taeyeon and Miyoung?" asked one of my classmates.

"Why do they seem close together?" asked another.

I could feel that they were all staring at me. I knew they knew of my arrangement with Taeyeon.

"W-We should go..." another suggested.

I couldn't seem to peel my eyes off of the two of them. Taeyeon and Miyoung being very close in the school's courtyard bench. Out of all places. Did Taeyeon really just break our relationship without even telling me?

Frustrated, I walked away from everyone.

"Sooyeon!"

I found my way back to the classroom and slumped over the desk. I couldn't bare having that image in my mind. Taeyeon seemed really happy with Miyoung. I couldn't get her smile off of my head. The fact that her smile was because she was with Miyoung infuriates me.

"Taeyeon, Miyoung, where have you been?"

They're back from flirting around already?!

I immediately shot up from my desk and glared at the both of them furiously. Everyone went quiet and they were all just staring at me and Taeyeon. With uncontrollable feelings, I marched my way towards Taeyeon and grabbed her hand.

"S-Sooyeon..." Miyoung uttered.

I leaned over to her and whispered, "don't you dare touch her."

She seemed taken aback by what I said as she looked away from my gaze. I took the opportunity to pull Taeyeon away to run towards the rooftop, hoping that Miyoung doesn't follow us.

"S-Sooyeon... please let go of me..." I heard Taeyeon utter as I continued to drag her with me.

Reaching the rooftop, the sun was still out and the breeze of the summer wind gently brushed through our hair. I dragged Taeyeon towards the chairs behind the white drapery and pushed her down.

"What's wrong with you?!" Taeyeon asked in bewilderment.

I sat down in my usual place, right in front of her, and grabbed her by the necktie. Her body fell towards me but stopped as she put a finger on my lips.

"Enough is enough," she softly murmured.

"Then why didn't you tell me?" I asked in frustration, "I was in a relationship with you first!"

"I'm sorry Sooyeon..."

"Please tell me you at least had feelings for me through the times we've been together. Please tell me you still like me!" I begged.

"I..."

Suddenly, her eyes diverted somewhere behind me. We never really moved from where we were. Her eyes grew wider and immediately bolted out.

"Wait!"

As soon as I turned around, I saw her running away from me. I knew Miyoung saw us. I knew Taeyeon was chasing after Miyoung. She's choosing Miyoung over me... is she?

I looked up and I didn't notice the rain clouds took the sun away. It was colder and trickles of rain soon fell from the sky until it got heavier. The heavens understood just how I felt. I wanted to hide the pain I felt. Just as I looked down the school yard, I saw Miyoung running away. She looked up towards the rooftop and we met eyes until, all of a sudden, Taeyeon appeared out of nowhere and hugged Miyoung from behind. My instant regret.

Miyoung turned around and figured that Taeyeon ran after her. Taeyeon chose her. With my broken heart, I kept my gaze towards them. As much as it hurt, I kept watching them from above. Finally, Taeyeon gave the definite answer. She pulled Miyoung closer to her and sealed their lips together, something that she's never really done with me.

Indeed, all this time, Miyoung was the one who Taeyeon wanted. I was nothing but a cover up. Taeyeon was just a coward who hid her feelings because she was unsure of what she felt towards Miyoung and she didn't know how Miyoung would react. I should have taken her unsureness, her answer, as a caution.

 

-----------------------------

A/N: This has been in my drafts for a while now but I never got the chance to complete it. The story does seem pretty rushed in the end but I wanted to update something at least to let you guys know that I'm still alive and that I've never abandoned AFF. I was planning to update more today but I didn't think that my coursework for this week was this extensive that it took up the whole day today.

Anyway, this story was inspired by the music video of Teokure Caution by =LOVE (ikorabu). They're a J-Pop group produced by Rino Sashihara (HKT48/AKB48) if you know of her. I've gotten into them months and months ago actually. Please watch if you have the time :)