Family Time

We Are Unbreakable

Hello guys! This will obviously be the very first story for this thread. This was inspired by a short clip of Jessica holding two twin babies named Taeri and Taemin.

WARNING: It may be a trigger to some because of past experiences due to uality... coming out... sort of thing.

_______________________________________________

"My lovely daughter, when are you going to give me grandchildren?"

"Mom, I will give you some when the time comes. I haven't even found a partner yet."

"No boyfriend yet? My pretty daughter, I'm sure you'll find one soon."

-

"Mom... Can I tell you something important?"

"What is it dear?"

"Do you really love me a lot?"

"Of course! You're my daughter. Why wouldn't I?"

"Even if... I like girls...?"

---

My name is Kim Taeyeon, aged 28 years old. I don't have a husband or a boyfriend... but I do have a lovely wife named Jessica. I met her when I dropped one of my baby cousins off at the daycare center. Jessica worked there and as far as I could remember, I always went there even without my baby cousin with me. I played with the kids there... but mainly just to see her.

Growing up, I never really knew what it meant to have feelings for someone else. I usually kept to myself and focused on my studies to help out my parents once I was old enough. In highschool, a lot of girls usually pined for their crushes. It was pretty ridiculous to me how they acted like that. I never could relate... not until I met Jessica.

 

They said family comes first, but what if your own family doesn't put you first or even give the slightest worry about you? Ever since my revelation, my mother hasn't really spoken to me. My father has been avoiding me, probably along my mother's wishes as well. My brother could care less but he's got his own life to live while my little sister is a puppet to my parents. I know she doesn't mean to avoid me but when my parents are around, my little sister rejects me. I knew by then I needed a new family.

When I told them about my preference, I was already out and living on my own means. I have an apartment all to myself and already have a job to pay for my basic living expenses. I also had a cheap car that took me from point A to point B. With that said, I didn't lose as much as I would have if I had told them about my preference early on in my life. Eitherway, it's not like I really paid attention to it in the first place. I didn't know that I liked girls until I met Jessica. Maybe I just prefer Jessica in general.

Jessica's parents already knew about her preference as well. Like me, they rejected her from the family. It's pretty common here in Korea anyway. LGBT matters are still as sensitive as can be. It's still frowned upon even to this day. I think it's more of the fact that a lot of people here aren't really as openminded as they are somewhere else. She's been living on her own as well when I met her. At least she has her little sister to go to in case she needed a family.

"Don't you think it's time for us to actually live together?"

I looked up at Jessica. We're having a little break after work at a nearby cafe by the daycare center. She refused to look at me directly when she asked the question.

"What do you mean? We're pretty much living together already."

We've been going to each others' apartments mostly everyday and have been staying over for the night. I don't think that's what she meant I guess.

"We should go the the US and get married, unless you're not ready yet," Jessica continued, "there's a Korean community from where I used to live and I'm sure they would accept you. I know someone that owns a live bar. I could hook you up and immediately start working there when we move over."

"That seems like a very big step. I didn't even think about that..."

"I know that's why I'm talking to you about it right now... I'll give you some time to think about it."

I'm not even fluent with my English yet. I still have a long way to go. Jessica does have a point though. We can't keep living like this. We can't keep hiding the fact that we are both girls and innocently in love with one another.

 

I decided to sneak an English class within my already busy schedule. I barely saw Jessica within those one-on-one lessons I had with an instructor online and it made me miss her a lot. At least on the weekends, we had time for one another and she helped me with my English as well. Weeks and months passed, my English got better and better. She said she's confident that my English is enough for me to be able to communicate with people in the US.

"I already told my boss about the plans we have about moving over to the US and she's excited for the both of us. She wishes us well."

Actually, it still hasn't occured to me that we are actually going to move abroad... leave South Korea for good. I still haven't talked to my family in a while but I still wish to meet them beforehand. Of course, if we move over to the US, time zones will be different and it's going to be even harder to keep in touch with them albeit the situation we are in. After all, they are still my family.

"Where are your parents. Wouldn't they live around the same area we are possibly moving into?" I asked my girlfriend.

"They have since retired here in South Korea. My little sister stayed in the US though."

"Do you still wish for me to meet your parents?"

"If they don't want to meet you or acknowledge the fact that I'm with a woman, why should I care? They made sure that they didn't care about me the moment they straight up told me to leave their house the very moment I confessed that I like women. It would've been nice for all of you to meet each other but I care about you a lot and I will never let them disrespect you."

"Don't you care about your parents?"

Surely, parents are parents. They will forever be our parents no matter what because they raised us.They are the reason why we're alive to this very moment.

"It's not like that, Taeyeon. I really do care about them but circumstances are... they don't care for me as much as I care about them. If they did, they wouldn't turn their back on me. Don't you feel the same way?"

"I get what you mean," I answered as I spun the ice on my drink with a straw.

"I know it ," Jessica held onto my free hand, "but we've got to move on somehow and make a family of our own, where we're always welcomed and where we always feel loved."

"Family of our own?"

"Have you not thought about having kids before?"

I remembered how my mother always asked when I'll give her grandchildren. I was reaching that ripe age where women usually marry older, successful men and be nothing but a housewife to them, enslaved inside the property called home while the men slave themselves at work and not worry much about the house. It's a give and take type of deal but that's not the lifestyle I wanted to live. Eitherway, I don't know any man I want to give my whole life to except for my father and brother of course. Other than that, I haven't fancied any men in my life.

"How are we going to have kids?" I asked her, "isn't it impossible to have kids? We don't have the right biological tools to have any together."

Jessica smirked and burst out into laughter.

"Taeyeon you idiot. I was thinking about adopting!"

"That didn't even occur to me. You should have clarified!"

"I can't believe it!" Jessica continued to laugh.

 

As I laid down on my bed in my apartment, I looked at the ceiling and thought of the fact that Jessica and I are going to move over to the US. There's going to be a lot of things I'm leaving behind and I don't really know if I'm ready for it. My family is still very dear to me and I would like to make ammends before I go overseas. I don't even know if that's going to happen though.

I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and sent a message to my mother.

"I'm going to the US soon," it read.

I waited for a while but the message was only left on read and nothing else. Usually, at this time of night, the store my parents owned would have been closed by now. Mom would be replying to my message immediately. But that's not the case anymore so it seems. I guess I really lost my family.

 

Things moved slowly as we started filing paperwork for my move to the US. I went through a lot of medical and background checks that took up much of my work time. Thankfully, my manager over at the live bar I usually worked at during the night was forgiving and let me off on nights when I had to go to the US embassy the next day. I still had to reach a certain amount of hours every week to keep the job so that was another reason that made the process even longer. Eventually, through strenuous times, we finally received the "go" signal to move abroad. We had saved up enough money to start off for a couple of months in case we didn't find a job immediately. Jessica did land me a job over at her friend's live bar so that helped with some expenses at least. Jessica had been applying to different daycare centers. She also wished to go to fashion school but knew it wasn't a good idea at this point.

"What's more important is actually settling in with you."

We were both cuddled over the couch in our new townhouse. Thankfully, some of our furnitures and other things were transported safely over.

"Are you sure you're willing to give out that dream?"

"I'd rather build a family with you. We're also getting old already," she laughed.

"You're not wrong," I smiled and kissed her on the forehead, "are we really ready for kids?"

"Well, we do need to save up and plan this all out."

"Don't worry, I'm saving up as much as I can!"

"You're really okay with this, right?" Jessica pouted.

"Sica, I wouldn't have come all the way to the US to change my whole lifestyle if I wasn't fine with it."

If this is the only family that I'm going to have that respects me, then that's a family I would be willing to have no matter the sacrifices. With Jessica by my side, the world is a much better place. If we get some little ones with us, as saying say, would be merrier.

---

Fast forward to settling down with everything else in our little townhouse, I still have that gig set every night at Jessica's friend's live bar. I sing to the audience and make a decent pay every night. Jessica, on the other hand, didn't land the daycare center job she had back home. She did get a paid internship job at a local fashion store. It was a pretty well known store around the area so she knew her experience with the company would easily transfer over to other jobs in the fashion industry. She knew how to make connections no matter how introverted she seemed like. She's actually better than me on making connections with people. I'm happy that Jessica got the job she wanted after all.

"Taemin, Taeri, look at the camera and say 'hi'!"

Jessica was holding the twins we had adopted. Their names were Taeri and Taemin. Jessica felt sad that their names didn't at least have a syllable of her name but was quite happy that their names were really close to my name. We didn't plan on having a twin but we're able to manage. I've been receiving a lot of tips during my performances and on top of that, I still get paid by the bar themselves. Jessica on the otherhand is learning about what she's passionate about while getting paid for it so we couldn't be any more happier and more stable to get the two.

Not long after adopting the twins, they've already been calling us names like "mom" or "mommy" or "mama." In all honesty, I liked being called either one. Adopting the kids made the house feel more like home. Sure there will be frustrations raising them but when I analyzed it, it's actually been more fun with them than anything. We really got lucky with the both of them.

"Mom, are you alright?"

Taeri has been staring at me for a while. I didn't realize I had zoned out.

"I'm alright sweetie, mom's just happy to have a family. Are you happy to have a family?"

"Yes mom! I'm happy to have you and mommy as our parents. I'm happy to have a family, right Taemin?"

Taemin just nodded. He's still getting adjusted to me and Jessica but it's not a surprise to us for them to possibly act all shy around us.

While filming them for their needed mommy time, I couldn't help but want to cry over how beautiful this family is. This time, I'm a parent in this household. I have a wife and two adorable kids. I have a townhouse shared with my spouse. I have something that can never be compared to anything. I have a family. I have a home.

________________________________________________________

I'm falling asleep but I know this has been long overdue. Thank you for your patience! I will update my other story when I find another time!