Time Spent Walking Through Memories

We Are Unbreakable

A/N: I've been hooked on Taeyeon's version of the song as titled above. It was also originally sang by NELL back in 2011, I believe. I'm so glad she did a cover of this as her voice was matching and very soothing, which was needed for this song. Also, I will be uploading a sequel for Lost Stars since some of you requested it on the next update :)

-----

Do you know the feeling of heartache of being left alone? The first day everything shattered in front of me, the deepest pain I have ever felt in my entire life happened and never left. It's been three months since that happened but I still couldn't let go. I still couldn't move on from what just happened. My two year relationship just vanished right in front of me. What did I do wrong?

 

I'm twenty six years old and have a good career ahead of me. I am currently under vocal training from an entertainment company that scouted me from one of my busking activities. I am currently in strict management, having limits on what I eat, what I do, and who I talk to. Growing up, I never really formed any romantic relationships with anyone. If anything, they were all just flings. Somehow, I formed a bond with this girl upon my busking activities. Her name is Jessica.

Jessica was a college girl who studied fashion. She was just walking around one time until she saw me performing on the street. I was just singing my own song called 'I' with my friend Jintae when my eyes locked upon her from the crowd in front of us as soon as I opened my eyes. I felt as though at that moment, we connected immediately. It felt as if it was just the both of us around. It felt as if I was singing to her and only her.

When the song ended, everybody clapped. I smiled at everyone and turned my gaze over to her after. She seemed pleased with our performance. I nudged over at Jintae and told him about her.

"There's a girl in the audience right now that shines like a diamond," I whispered to him.

"I think I know who you're talking about. She's about to leave in all honesty."

I turned over and saw the girl drop something off the guitar case and left right after. She must've placed some money and went ahead on her own way.

As we were closing up, I took care of the money as always while Jintae and our other friend, Dean, took care of the gear that we had with us. I saw a few business cards from entertainment agencies as usual, but ones that weren't really heard of, and there was a particular note hidden beneath the paper monies. I picked it up and read it.

"To the lead singer of this band, your voice is amazing! xoxo Jess" it read, "I promise to come by often if you remain on performing in this exact location. This isn't my usual route but I'm happy I took this route."

"I wonder who wrote this," I questioned as I hovered the note over my head. Jintae and Dean came running towards me to read it.

Jintae and Dean immediately smacked the back of my head in unison.

"Ya! How come you can get a girl from the streets while Dean and I couldn't? Are we not that attractive? Maybe we just need to be the lead next time!" complained a jealous Jintae.

"Bring some of that charm over here, Taeyeon. I don't like being single," Dean cried jokingly.

 

My bandmates and I continued to perform at our usual spot and would see the same, beautiful girl appearing at our sessions. I always looked forward to seeing her on our busking activities. It became normalized that she would be at our sessions every single day we were performing at the same exact time. It turned into me being anxious whenever it's about time she passed by.

"Taeyeon, I think we all know who that girl is and I think it's time for you to make a move. It's been two weeks since she's been coming to our sessions like this," Jintae suggested.

"Shoot your shot!" Dean encouraged me, "we got this for now."

Just as the girl was about to head onto her way as always, I chased after her and went in front of her. Her eyes followed mine. I felt the cold air blow through my warm cheeks. My body was at a standstill.

"Hello," she started.

"Hi, um... I was wondering if you were the one who left the note about two weeks ago," I asked, turning my eyes away. I could feel my cheeks turning redder.

"You're correct," she giggled, "I'm happy you finally figured it out and did your move on your end."

"You see, it isn't obvious that you would be into girls," I scratched the back of my head.

"So do you but I still tried eitherway."

I gulped.

"But it's alright. You seem to be busy still with your session. How about I give you my number and we can chat from there?" she asked with a smile.

I just simply nodded and handed her my phone, showing the dial pad.

The girl took the phone from me and showed me that her data was already inputed in my phone.

"Jess... ica..."

"Correct. I'm looking forward to your message or your call," she smiled, "I have to go now though."

"Right, right," I nodded, "t-thank you?"

"Thank me when I please you," she winked.

What?

I walked back over to my band. They were still performing a song so I went to the back so as to not to interrupt them. After the session, they asked what happened and congratulated me after. They did seemed really happy for me.

 

A year passed by, Jessica and I were still in good terms. Jessica was focused on her fashion degree as she was from the start while I continued to do busking activities. She also motivated me to pursue a degree in vocal performance. I also learned that we were quite the opposite but we work it out together. Jessica was more of an independent woman. She's a pursuer. She knows what she wants and she will get it in whatever way possible. Meanwhile, I'm more laid back. If something doesn't happen to fall upon my lap, I wouldn't care much. I go wherever life takes me. However, that difference only benefited us. We both leveled each other and complemented each other's pros and cons. What actually broke us was something simple but amounted to a lot in our relationship.

It was just one of those normal days where we were busking, or so I thought. A man with a seemingly professional demeanor talked to us while we were putting away our equipment.

"Excuse me. Could I talk to you guys for a second?" the man asked.

"What's up?" Dean nudged his head.

"I was wondering if you guys have heard of SM Entertainment... Well I'm sure you guys have," he chuckled, "I work for them and I was wondering if you guys would like to attend one of our auditions."

"Doesn't SM Entertainment focus more on pop singers or idol groups?" Dean asked.

"Yes, you're right, but we also house a wide variety of musicians."

"I see, well, thank you for noticing us."

"Of course!" the man pulled out a few business cards from one of the pockets from his bag, "here's my business card. My contact information is provided below. If you need any proof that I do work for SM Entertainment, just come by the scouting office around 11am and I'll be there."

"That's alright. Thank you for the opportunity. We'll talk about it amongst ourselves."

"No problem. You guys have a good night," he smiled and walked away.

As soon as the scouting agent left, we all squealed in excitement. We were never expecting such a big agency to scout us but we were glad nonetheless. This was a big opportunity that we surely didn't want to miss.

I went ahead and told Jessica about this particular achievement and she was pretty happy for me. If only I knew that was going to be our biggest downfall.

 

There was no time wasted between us. All three of us soon performed in front of the judges. The judges also asked us to perform individually although it was apparent that none of us can dance professionally like those idols that they had in their agency. Nevertheless, we still got hired and we were soon training under one of the best vocal teachers in the industry, who is also under one of the best known talent agencies in the country. Our days got busier and we barely had any time for ourselves to busk in our usual spot. If we did, it would be once in a blue moon. This followed on throughout another year when it was announced that we were soon debuting altogether. It was pretty fast. I was impressed myself. Usually SM Entertainment would train their idols for extensive periods of time, usually starting at a very young age. We all felt honored.

The scouting agent that scouted us came over one time in one of our debut photoshoots and congratulated us.

"I knew there was something that you guys had in you. Best of luck!"

"Thank you," we all bowed to show our appreciation.

 

Whenever I would come home, I immediately crashed. I didn't have time to eat most of the time nor did I have any time to talk to anyone, including Jessica. Sleep, to me, was the most important thing in the world. So this is what it felt like being a trainee.

I already felt my new schedule slowly broke apart my relationship with Jessica. I talked to her less and less. She was busy as I was busy. We never had time for each other. If we did, we would do a quick phone call until one of us had to do something. I missed her more and more everyday but I didn't want to drop my dream and my opportunity. I held onto the relationship even though I knew it would be best to part ways. I had a strong attachment to Jessica. She was also a part of my motivation.

Soon after, I saw Jessica outside the dormitory I stayed in. I was wondering what she was doing being out so late at night. She looked over to my direction as I was slowly walking up to her.

"How's it been?" she faintly smiled.

"I'm surprised... have you been waiting long?" I asked, "let's come inside before you catch a cold."

Jessica shook her head.

"I promise it will be quick," she started.

Meanwhile, I could already feel a heart wrenching pain deep in my chest.

"I'm happy for everything that you've achieved Taeyeon, but I don't think continuing this relationship would be the best for us."

I tried my hardest to defy the usual. I knew of idols having to drop their previous relationships because of extensive trainings. I tried to defy it but it took a toll on us eventually. I was in denial. I didn't want to believe it would end this way, just like the others.

"I think it's best we both focus on our own goals. I know you'll do good out there. In the meantime, I will be amongst the crowd supporting you, just like when I saw you around two years ago when you were still busking with your buddies Jintae and Dean."

Tears began to form upon my eyes. I was still in shock of what was happening. The pain got worse. I wanted it to stop but I didn't know how, knowing that I had to face the facts and accept it. There was no way we could survive within our busy schedules.

"I want you to stay. I want to be with you through all of this."

"Let's be real, all of this is fading and it will fully fade away, especially when I focus on my exams and projects, and when you also focus on your activities. Being a performer is no easy task, especially under such company. I love you, but this has to stop for the both of us."

"I don't think I could say anything more other than the fact that I do love you as well but I respect your wishes and I understand. It's hard to defy the common things when we both just don't have time for each other and are focused entirely on our goals."

"Right," she smiled, "I hope you the best of luck, Taeyeon."

"Thank you. I wish you the same as well," I smiled, even with the tears rolling down my cheeks.

 

I would think that I would be able to busy my throughts like I did before but memories just kept popping up in my mind the past few months. I've been more distracted than ever, usually getting scolded by our vocal teacher. Dean and Jintae noticed this and decided to step up for an intervention.

"You've been off lately. What's going on, Taeyeon?" Jintae asked.

"It's nothing you guys should worry about. I'm trying to get over things," I replied.

"Jessica broke up with you?" Dean asked, "I kinda figured that was what was going to happen anyway."

In no way did what he just said ever made me feel better. Was it supposed to make me feel better?

"I'm sorry things went the way it did," Jintae smacked Dean, "but look on the bright side, you'll be gaining new fans and you'll be able to sing in front of a lot more people just like what you've been dreaming about."

"For the price of my relationship," I sighed, "I guess it can't be helped, especially with how busy we have been compared to before. Plus, we're debuting soon."

"Exactly," Jintae smiled, "keep your head in the game little one!"

 

It was time for us to perform live in front of the audience. We debuted the first time in Music Bank. Everyone seemed to be nodding their heads to the beat. By the end of our performance, everybody clapped for us. I feel as though we did great although the thought of Jessica never left my mind. I was wondering the whole time if she was in the audience, watching.

"We did great team!"

All three of us along with our staff cheered us on as we all made a toast with banana milks backstage in our dressing rooms. Everybody was all cheery and happy that the first live performance in front of the television was a success. I was happy but not entirely happy. I didn't want to show it to anyone else. However, Jintae and Dean knew. They both looked at me and gave a faint smile.

 

A few years forward, our band became widely known by everyone across South Korea. Dean, Jintae, and I made our own solo debuts as well. Dean became a soloist of his own while Jintae, now known as Verbal Jint, became a solo rapper. SM Entertainment released me soon after as another soloist. We still considered ourselves a band but we mainly focused on our solo activities for the meantime since that was what the agency had planned for us. Being a soloist now actually gave me more free time on my own. I didn't have to wait and perform diligently with Jintae and Dean although I missed doing practices with them. I was on my own schedule.

There were times when I would do my leisure walks to the spot we used to busker at. There was now a poster around that area where it says that it was the spot were we first started. It must have been made by one of our long time audiences. Although I did reminisce the times I had busking with Jintae and Dean, the simpler times, I also reminisced locking my eyes upon a beauty. A diamond in the sea of various gems. The one that shined brighter than the others. By then, I thought I could erase those thoughts but it only opened itself inside my mind again.

Even sitting in the apartment I now reside in, I remember the thoughts I had when Jessica and I used to live together. I would bother Jessica during one of her projects. She would get annoyed but we would make love to each other after. I would look over to the kitchen table and remember how I used to serve her coffee during the times she had to stay up finishing her project. Lying in my bed, I remember the times we would look up at the ceiling and depict what was supposed to be our future together. With each and every moment I had with her, I had played and lingered around those memories on my mind. It got harder and harder to contain as I had more time to myself. Somehow, even if it's been years, I still couldn't forget the romance I once had with Jessica.

How is she doing? I have no idea. All I knew was that she could possibly be already working for a big fashion line or have started her own. I'm happy for her if that's the case.

 

I was making breakfast for myself before I headed to the studio when, all of a sudden, my manager rang up my phone. She seemed very excited about something as she apparently had left me a dozen messages before deciding to call me. Finally, in the middle of mixing pancake batter, I answered the phone.

"Wha---"

"Taeyeon! Guess what?! A big band wants to partner with you!" my manager shouted against the phone.

I had to pull the phone away from my ears and clear it before placing it back so I could hear.

"What do you mean 'partner with me'? In what way?"

"You know the band NELL? Their lead singer Kim Jongwan apparently wanted you to cover one of their songs!"

"What?!"

Now I'm the one screaming. NELL is one of the biggest standing indie rock bands in Korea. Most of their music is soothing to the ears. I usually listen to their songs as well. I'm glad they picked me to cover one of their songs.

"I'll be glad to. I'm making breakfast right now and will be on my way there right after."

"Alright, make sure you don't eat too much or you might vomit out of excitement!"

"I am excited as it is!"

"I'm going to get more details on this. Kim Jongwan is still in the office as of now. I'll see you in a bit!"

I hurried on cooking my breakfast and ate it as quick as possible. After that, I got ready as fast as I could without even caring about make up or anything. Afterall, I don't have anything else scheduled today and I planned on going straight back to the apartment right after everything.

As soon as I arrived at the agency building, I dashed towards my manager's office. She was all smiles and was prepared to give me the good news.

"So, do you remember their song 'Time Spent Walking Through Memories'? I know you have it on your music device," she began.

"Yes," I nodded as I slowly sat down on the chair.

"Well, good news, their label already gave us a pass to cover their song. He came here personally to meet you but couldn't stay much longer due to scheduling. He did let us know that they personally picked you to cover their song as they thought your voice fits the feelings involved in it."

"What does that mean?"

"It means you're good at expressing feelings throughout any song, but most especially ballads. As this song has a soft, ballad, loneliness feel to it, they thought you could also bring light to this song."

"Well, let's get going! I'm excited to record this song. I'm excited for NELL to hear my version."

"I have the studio scheduled for you next week. Make sure you show up on time. Kim Jongwan might be able to visit."

"I'll make sure to put in a good session."

 

Fast forward to a week after receiving the news, I came to the studio as early as possible. I awaited as the director and his assistant came. I bowed to them as a form of greeting and they played over the track so I can get a feel for it. Soon after, Kim Jongwan came in to watch me sing it live for the first time. The director also played the music for him as my supposed version was a bit different than NELL's version. Kim Jongwan liked it eitherway.

"Alright, let's get in position," the director called out.

I went inside the booth with my game face on and read the lyrics right in front of me. I recalled the song and how it originally played. I also saw notes for the background vocals I was supposed to do. The director started recording those ones first. Next on was the verses. I gave the best of my ability to give my touch for this song. It was also one of my most favorite ones from NELL so I was afraid to botch it.

In the end of the session, Kim Jongwan seemed pretty pleased with my performance. I was happy to know he was satisfied.

"As expected from Kim Taeyeon," he exclaimed.

"Thank you Mr. Kim. I appreciate it."

"I can't wait to see you perform it live. Looking forward to it," he smiled. Soon after, he left the studio.

I squealed in excitement and happiness. I was pretty proud of myself making one of my favorite singers proud of me. Now I'm just trying to figure out when I was actually going to sing this live. I knew that I had upcoming performances in a few music concerts but that's about it.

I went over to my manager and asked her when I was going to be able to perform NELL's song. I was excited to make them proud once again.

"Well, you're a headliner for the music concert in Seoul next week. Jintae and Dean will be there too so you guys will be able to perform together once again."

That's more good news!

"Other than that, you're slotted for at least three songs. You can sing this song as the last one. Corporate already approved of it beforehand."

"That's a relief. I'll put on my best performance!"

 

The show soon came. We were performing at the Seoul World Cup Stadium so there were sure a lot of audiences who were rooting for their favorite artists as well. It was a huge pressure as always with any performances I had involving massive events. At least Jintae and Dean would also be there to calm me down.

"Are you ready for this?" my manager asked as I was getting prepped in my dressing area.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I answered.

"Give it your best, as always!"

A little after, Dean came rushing to my dressing area.

"Hey, have you seen this?"

Dean showed me a video blog of a famous fashion magazine. Within the video was a segment showing Jessica launching her own fashion line called Blanc and Eclare. Apparently she made it in a category on Forbes magazine as one of the '30 under 30' under the Entertainment and Sports category under Asia. I knew she was going to make a name for herself as she's a pursuer. She has that perseverance that I dearly loved.

"I don't know if I should have shown you this but I thought you should at least know."

"Thank you, Dean. I appreciate it."

"Anyway, goodluck on your performance out there!"

"Same with you!" I smiled at him before he left the dressing area.

 

A bunch of idols performed before me ranging from TWICE, GOT7, Momoland, iKON, LOONA, and so much more. A lot of soloists also performed including IU, Heize, K.Will, and a few other indie bands or rookie bands/groups/soloists. Dean and Jintae also performed before me. Up next was my performance right after Jintae's.

As soon as I went up the stage, I embraced the warm welcome from everyone. Everybody in the audience was cheering for me, even if I knew some of them were mainly here for their respective performers. I started off by singing my debut song, 'I', the one I sang way before I even debuted under SM Entertainment. Up next, I sang my other hit single 'Fine'. I took a pause before beginning with my last song.

"To everybody here that have experienced heartache, young love was so surreal. I hope to relate with all of you through this song I'm about to sing. It will also be the first time I'm singing this live in front of everyone. And last but not the least, I would also like to thank NELL for giving me this opportunity to sing this."

As soon as the melody started, so did my singing. Everyone was quietly listening to me sing 'Time Spent Walking Through Memories'. I felt warmth as I continued to sing and also felt all the memories of Jessica flood my mind. The feeling of her right beside me was strong. The feeling of her kiss was strong. I felt her presence even amongst the crowd surrounding me. And it hit me again. I felt as if I was just busking on the corner of the street with Dean and Jintae like the old times. I remembered everything as if it was only yesterday. I remembered as if I just had met Jessica's eyes when I opened them.

The music began to slowly fade and everyone cheered loudly soon after. I felt like I was about to burst into tears but I held it in. My performance with the band was scheduled to be done right after. Soon enough, Jintae and Dean appeared on the spotlight. But throughout the performance, all I could think about were those days where we simply played on the street, singing our heart out, and the sight of Jessica watching us perform. I couldn't shake away the feeling. I tried to be happy within Jintae and Dean's presence but I couldn't erase the memories that were powerfully popping up in my mind. As soon as our performance ended, I ran to the dressing room after my image could not be seen by the crowd. I locked myself up as my tears flowed down uncontrollably. I couldn't believe she still affected me this much after years have already passed.

 

After the show ended, we were all cleaning up after ourselves. Everyone bid their goodbyes. I was one of the last ones to go out of the dressing room. Other artists were still scrambling in theirs. I brought with me flowers that was given to me by the group that planned the music event and so with my other important belongings I brought with me to the show. As soon as I was about to hop into the van that was provided for us, I noticed a familiar figure standing close by within an ample distance.

Is that who I really think it is?

The familiar figure slowly walked up to me and smiled, just like the first time we first actually talked to each other, the time I mustered up my guts and finally ran up to her. The memory replayed in my mind once again as I saw her walk towards me right in front of my eyes.

"It's been a while, Taeyeon."

"Jess... ica..."