New Year's Surprise

We Are Unbreakable

The gust of wind is chilling yet there are people still outside, walking around and shopping with their families and loved ones. As for me, the only reason why I'm outside right now is work. I currently work at a coffee shop but I was sent outside to promote our New Year mix. It's not like the coffee mix samples stay warm so why do they bother? Eitherway I still have to do it because this is the only thing at the moment that gets me paid. Passersby either ignored my sales pitch or stopped by to have a quick taste. Most of them obviously liked it and came for an actual warm cup of the mix while the others just wanted to taste it. It was snowing lightly outside and the skies are dark and grey. All the street and store lights were on. Couples, families, and the like walk by with either a sad expression or a happy one. We all feel differently.

It was getting darker and darker. The store doesn't close for a few more hours. It's the New Year so I just want to go home and bundle up in this cold weathered holiday. Thankfully, my relief will be here in a few minutes.

"Please try our warm and creamy New Year mix!"

My voice was about to give up. I've been slightly yelling for hours straight, freezing my off, trying to promote this damn mix that's not so warm anymore. In all honesty, it's probably quite frozen already. Suddenly, a woman came by and immediately grabbed one of the mix samples that I had set out on a table. She swallowed every bit of the mix and looked at the ground as she tried to focus on the taste in . She nodded after a few seconds, seeming to grasp how she actually felt about the mix.

"How was it, ma'am? Would you like me to get freshly made ones from inside the shop?" I asked.

"That would be nice," she smiled.

"Please hold on for a minute," I bowed and went inside the store to ask for freshly brewed ones. They had a tray of it ready so I traded it off with the old ones and presented it to the lady once again.

The woman grabbed a sample cup and did the same thing with the previous cup. Seconds after grasping the taste, she nodded once again.

"What a really good mix you guys have! I'm coming over to grab one."

"Thank you ma'am," I bowed to her and placed the tray on the table next to me.

The lady proceeded inside the shop. Her aura was of a really notable person: an idol or an actress. I wonder if she's really a native around here. She's obviously South Korean. After a few minutes, she went outside and had two medium sized cups with her and a small paperbag. She must've bought one of our pastries as well.

"Here," she handed out one of cups to me.

"For me?" Why is she giving me one?

"I know you've been out here for hours. Your cheeks are red, reminding me of cherries. Also, this mix goes well with the buttermilk biscuit. It might seem crazy but you should try it."

"Alright," I nodded, accepting the warm cup of New Year's mix from her and the small paperbag from her.

Suddenly, the door to our shop opened. My relief was here.

"Taeyeon, I see you've been collecting girls since you've been out! Will my luck be the same as yours tonight?" my co-worker teased.

"It's not like that obviously you little airhead," I told him as I gave him a headlock.

"Stop it! For a small girl like you, who knew you could reach the top?"

"Are you asking for some more trouble?"

My co-worker yanked himself off of me and fixed himself. He brought his hand towards the woman, asking for a handshake.

"I'm Taeyeon's co-worker. Nice to meet you. I'm guessing it'll be us outside, chatting it up now?"

"In your dreams! This woman have better things to do," I shook my head and turned to the woman in front of us, "anyway, I should be heading back to work. It was nice talking to you and I hope you come by our shop to try more of our signature drinks!"

"I don't really have anything to do right now. Just wandering around the streets, trying to fill up my New Year's day. Do you mind if I come in and just sit around while I watch you work?"

That's a bit weird.

"You're more than welcome to come inside and enjoy your warm drink, ma'am."

"I will," she smiled.

I opened the door for her and she bowed before proceeding in. My co-worker slapped my arm lightly and gave me a thumbs up. I just mocked him by pretending that I would punch him and he flinched before I decided to go inside as well.

The lady sat on one of the tables just right across from the counter where I placed myself at. One of my other co-workers nudged at me and pointed their lips towards the woman.

"Who is that?" she asked. The other baristas along with her came closer to hear my answer.

"I honestly have no idea," I told them.

"Taeyeon, who knew a small, innocent, petite girl like you could bring in such a hottie?" another one of them teased.

"Are you serious? I'm actually weirded out that she wants to 'watch' me work! That's a bit stalker-ish in my opinion."

"If I were you, I'd let myself be stalked everywhere with a gorgeous girl like her!"

"Do you want to trade places?!"

"Gladly so!"

"Then go and talk to her then."

"The boss is going to kill me!!!"

I sighed. There is no helping these losers.

"Taeyeon look!"

The woman took a sip from her cup and smiled at me. I'm not going to lie. That made my heart jump.

"Taeyeon, is it cold in here or are you blushing because she smiled at you?"

I glared at my co-worker and hit him for saying those words.

"I'll tell the manager that you messed up in one of the biggest orders today," I threatened him from saying more.

"Please spare my much needed salary. I'm barely living," he begged.

"Then quit it!"

"Yes boss," he defeatedly went back to his rightful station.

"I'll take over the register position. Why don't you go over there and talk to your surprise guest?" my other co-worker asked me. The others nodded in agreement.

I sighed. I think they just want to keep teasing me. I sure do hope the boss doesn't come out from his den at any moment.

I passed on the job to my co-worker who offered. It's a slow day anyway so not a lot of customers come in. I grabbed the cup of slightly less warmer drink that the woman have given me together with the paper bag of biscuit and proceeded onto the table she was at to sit right in front of her. She was surprised to see me away from the counter so she looked towards the register with a thumbs up reply from my co-worker saying that it was all taken care of.

"I am curious as to why you are suddenly interested in 'watching' me when you've just met me literally a few minutes ago I think," I told her as she turned to face me.

"Like I said earlier, I have nothing to do. And you're pretty cute so why can't I spend my New Year's day with a pretty looking girl like you?"

Is this woman a player?

On the peripherals of my eyes, I could see my co-workers dancing quietly and weirdly, cheering me on.

"Alright, alright, come here I want to tell you something secret," she motioned her hand.

I got up slowly from my chair, coming closer to her over the table. All of a sudden... all I heard were my co-workers making a noise.

"KIM TAEYEON! OH MY GOD YOU CHICK-MAGNET!!!"

"TAEYEON YOU'RE FINALLY NOT FOREVER ALONE!"

I just had my New Year's kiss... although it's not the typical New Year's kiss. I don't know if I should feel assaulted right now or if I should be happy about it. Eitherway, the sound of everyone's cheers were blocking my mind.

"Kim Taeyeon, I can't believe you already forgot about me," the woman frowned, "remember our New Year's promise?"

***

"Do you really love me, Taeyeon?"

"Of course!"

"Then will you promise to meet up together years from now and have our New Year's kiss together?"

"New Year's kiss? Why does it have to be New Year's?"

"Silly Taengoo. It's what adults do on New Year's if they really do love each other. So prove to me that you still love me years from now. I promise to love you forever."

"I'll wait on it!"

***

That's right. I once agreed a promise to someone that we would have our own New Year's kiss. How could I have forgotten about that?

"Jessica?"

"Kim Taeyeon, did I really have to remind you of our promise?"

"In my defense, you promised, not me."

"Kim Taeyeon!"

After years of feeling lonely, finding no attraction to anyone, those years paid off in the end for me to find the one that my heart has actually been yearning for. After years of struggling to know why I felt that way, there was a reason why it didn't make sense before. My seemingly empty, black, cold heart was waiting for someone to come back and fill it up again... and her name is Jessica Jung.

 

-----

A/N: short update again! got too distracted in between and a lot went on today... not so much of a good day from the start but it got better at least. I noticed the added number of comments and I really do appreciate it and I appreciate all of you for reading my fanfictions. they're actually more of a past time for me when I'm bored but I am happy that someone can enjoy the result of my boredom... lol. anyway, i hope you enjoyed this short one as well although it's not as funny as the other. it wasn't really meant to be funny... but was meant to be fluffy. funny how things end up differently... ANYWAY i shall stop babbling now. see you next update!