Stranger In the Train

We Are Unbreakable

The introvert me usually stays inside the house but somehow, there's a little spurt of energy in me that want to travel a little bit. As I open my window curtains, the light of the sun welcomed me to the new day. At least, if I ever wanted to step out, it's a nice, sunny day outside. I turned around to see my coffee table messed with a bunch of papers filled with coloring art and drawings. My colored pens and pencils are scattered all over as well. Maybe I'll have some inspiration by going out today.

A nice little trip to the city might be nice, so I decided to take the bus to the train station towards the city of Itaewon. It doesn't take too long to reach the city from my whereabouts in Seoul thankfully. There are nice shops around to sit in and draw peacefully or I could just take photos of the streets... although it would probably look better if I took them at night.

As I boarded the train, I noticed someone sit right in front of me. The train wasn't as crowded as it usually was. Normally, people tend to sit far away from others but I guess she wanted to be close to the doors as well. She was wearing a mask so her face wasn't as noticable. She wore seemingly expensive but tasteful clothing.

Maybe I should make a quick sketch out of her. Seems simple enough since she wasn't wearing anything with prints so it would be easy to draw her.

I pulled my small sketchpad out of my backpack together with my already sharpened 8B pencil and started drawing her. My sketchbook was being covered with my backpack, especially since I was using it as a table. The train moving didn't help the fact that I wanted to make this a nice little sketch. Somehow though, she kept moving because of the train as well, adding to the fact that it was messing up my sketch. However, thankfully she wasn't hard to make a sketch out of eitherway.

"Next stop, Itaewon."

Next thing you know, my stop was getting called. I needed to finish the sketch and shade the shadows for this sketch to be finished at least. Somehow, I managed to finish it thankfully, although I could have drawn her perfectly if it wasn't for the train moving and the time passing. I packed up my sketchbook in my backpack to get ready to hop off.

"We have arrived at Itaewon."

I stood up and carried my backpack over my shoulder, waiting for others to get out of the train. As soon as I stepped out, I felt myself getting pulled aside. I looked over at the unknown force, only to be surprised that the woman that I was drawing was the one catching my attention.

"What's the matter?" I asked her simply.

"I've seen you look at me throughout the whole train ride," she answered, "what were you doing?"

Of course, it's valid for her to feel suspicious of me.

"Nothing! I was just... drawing."

"Who told you that you could draw me?" she questioned.

"I... um... I could pull my sketchbook out for you and rip the page off for you. If anything... you could have it," I offered as I swung my bag a little to reach over the zipper.

"Let me see," she said as she stared at my bag.

I opened my backpack from my side and took out my sketchbook. Instantly, I flipped the page towards my drawing of her.

"See..." I showed her.

"Hm..." she nodded, "... that's a nice little sketch you've done actually. Are you some kind of artist?"

"No," I shook my head and closed my sketchbook, "it's just my hobby."

"I see..." she nodded once again, "... I'm sorry to be of a bother. I just thought you were trying to do something else."

"I understand," I nervously giggled as I put my sketchbook back inside my bag, "I'm sorry for intruding into your personal space. I should have asked beforehand."

"No, I truly understand. I'm sorry once again," she bowed a little.

"Not a problem... if you really are conscious about it, you really could just have it."

"Hm..." she pondered for a second, "... sure. Why not?"

I nodded with a smile as I took my sketchbook back out. I flipped to the page once again and ripped it off carefully out of my sketchbook before handing it over to her.

"You should probably sign it," she suggested.

Sign it? I never really signed my sketches before. After all, it's just a hobby.

Without further question though, I put the page on top of my sketchbook and signed it before handing it back over to her.

"Thank you," her eyes changed shape, insinuating a smile beneath the mask she was wearing.

"Don't mention it," I smiled back then excused myself, "anyway, I'm sorry for interrupting your trip. I should get going."

"No worries," she shook her head and pulled her mask down.

As soon as she revealed her whole face, I was awestruck. It seems as though her face was something I could draw for a lifetime... over and over again without getting tired of it.

"It seems your name is Taeyeon?" she asked, probably getting my name from when I signed the sketch of her.

"Y-Yes," I nodded, still flustered upon seeing her beautiful face.

"My name is Sooyeon, pleased to met you," she smiled.

I finally saw that beautiful smile beneath that mask.

"I shall get going now as well. It was nice meeting you," she told me and waved goodbye.

I waved back, still flustered to this moment, as I watched her walk away. Her figure was slowly getting lost from the crowd.

A sudden rush of energy within me swept me off my feet. Next thing you know, I started walking towards her, faster and faster. I was getting swallowed by the swarm of people coming into and exiting the train station. However, I never peeled my eyes off of the direction of her figure. Next thing you know, my hand held onto her coat and she turned around to see who I was.

Before she could say anything, words came out of my mouth. Something I wasn't bold enough to do before.

"Did you have any important plans today?"

Sooyeon seemed a bit surprised that I chased after her and asked her this question.

"I... actually do but..." she paused a little, "... maybe I could cancel my plans today."

Does this mean...?

"I'm sorry to bother you for the second time," I giggled sheepishly, "I was wondering if I could draw you again."

"Sure thing," she smiled.

 

We walked to a nearby coffee shop and sat at a table after we had ordered our drinks. I immediately pulled my sketchbook out together with the limited art supplies I had for this trip.

"How did you want me to pose?" she asked.

"Just pose how you want to pose. Nothing specific," I told her, "just relax as if this was a normal, everyday thing."

Upon hearing my words, she adjusted herself a little and stared at me as I started sketching her. It was actually nerve-wracking to have someone watch me draw them but I wanted to at least draw her perfectly, to the most of my abilities, especially with her mask off this time.

Soon, we were handed our drinks but I paid no mind to it since I wanted to focus on my sketch of her. However, this disrupted the picture I was already having. Even when we're not on the train, something always have to interrupt the image that I want to draw. But this doesn't stop me from sketching this beauty that's in front of me.

"You're pretty quick. It hasn't even been fifteen minutes and you've already drawn a lot of details," Sooyeon complimented me as she stared at my drawing.

"I've been drawing randomly as a hobby since I was a child," I explained to her as I continued to sketch her, "that's probably why I could pick up and draw details immediately."

"The more you do things, the more you get better at it, huh?" she questioned.

"That's definitely true," I nodded, "so tell me about yourself and what was your plans today if you didn't mind me asking?"

"Well... you already know my name so that's one thing..." she pondered a bit, "... as for my plans, I was just going to meet up with someone for the first time but I decided this is better to do than meeting up with them."

"Oh? Why so?" I asked as I drew the details of her clothing.

"I met them through a dating app and I was just bored hence why I agreed to meet up with them," she answered, "I didn't really find them that interesting but I was bored so I thought I might as well meet them face-to-face just to see how they really are as a person as well."

"I should apologize to the poor guy," I joked.

"I'm sure they would understand," she smiled, "especially if they knew the reason why."

"What's the reason?"

"I don't know," she chuckled a little, "who wouldn't be enamored by a weird but cute little girl like you?"

I had to pause for a moment. Was she just flirting with me?

 

Soon after, I had finished my sketch of her. This time, I was pretty satisfied with my composition of her. I showed Sooyeon the artwork and her eyes glistened upon looking at it.

"I'm really amazed by your skills," she told me, still looking at the sketch of her.

"Thank you for allowing me to draw you for the second time," I smiled at her, "sorry for interrupting your plans once again but I really enjoyed drawing you and spending the time with you. Maybe I could repay you some time?"

"Repay me how?" she giggled, "giving me a drawing of myself is enough payment."

"How about treating you for dinner when you're free?" I asked her.

"I have no other plans today," she told me immediately after, "how about dinner tonight?"

I guess my adventure alone for today turned out into something else... but for the better.

"Sure," I smiled.

 

----

A/N: Just a quick inspiration because of my college class this month. I've been busy doing the required sketches and projects. I thought it would have been easy but sometimes you lose inspiration, especially when you're forced to do it. However, if you're drawing someone or something you really like, it gives you the energy to do more... won't it ;)