Only One

We Are Unbreakable

A/N: I know I promised that I'll provide an sequel next with Lost Stars but I got stuck UNB's Only One and thought it would fit the story line for Time Spent Walking Through Memories instead of Lost Stars. Next update after this should be Lost Star's sequel but please do take a listen and give love to Only One by UNB. PS: My fave are Marco and Euijin. Chan is a runner up haha. Also this took a while to post so my apologies, I was moving at the time and was too busy but hopefully whenever I have access to the computer and have the freetime to do so, I will update more.

-----

There are times in life when decisions have to be made, but how would you know beforehand if it was the best or worst thing to do? Throughout my life being away from everything I'm familiar to, I've learned a lot of things and have grown as a human being. There is a big world out there that not everyone has touched and I am privileged to have the opportunity to taste a little bit of it. But of what cost? I soon realized it was a mistake to ever drop someone out of my own world. I was harsh. I wonder how much I just hurt that person over my selfish decision.

"It's been a while, Taeyeon."

Out of all things, that's the first and only words I could say to someone I have longed for so long. She was someone I decided to let go. I should have held on.

"Jess... ica..."

I stepped forward closer to the candle of my extinguishing life. Taeyeon was as beautiful as ever. Why did I let go of such beauty?

"If it's not too much to ask, I wanted to see if we could talk elsewhere tonight."

"Did you watch the show?"

Yes, I've always watched every show you've ever performed in. I was always there, just not physically, just not visibly, but I was always there.

"You were amazing."

"Brings back memories," Taeyeon chuckled a little and leaned inside the van that was supposed to take her home, "hey, I'll go on ahead by myself if that's alright."

"Are you sure? I have to make sure the boss doesn't yell at me if you're not home safe and sound," the driver commented.

"I'll make sure to let him know," Taeyeon smiled and closed the door to the van. She faced back at me and smiled, "let's go."

 

I drove Taeyeon and I to a park nearby. I turned the vehicle off and complete silence and darkness loomed around us. I didn't even know where to begin in the first place. I know I didn't deserve to see her at the moment. I was a jerk.

"How are things with you?" she asked in a soft tone, her head facing forward.

"I'm good, things are good," I nodded, "I see that you're a stellar star now. I knew you'd make it bigtime."

"Thanks for believing in me," she turned towards me with a smile, "so what made you show up after all these years?"

"Just wanted to see how you're doing..."

"Don't spit out lies."

"I missed you."

Taeyeon sat in silence for a bit, seemingly surprised with my quick and straightforward answer. She sat back properly, facing forward, seemingly reflecting on words I just spewed out of my mouth.

"After all these years and after you broke up with me out of the blue?" she nodded, "definitely makes a lot of sense."

"There was never a time I didn't think about you, Taengoo."

"So what is your purpose of showing up? Just telling me you missed me and breaking up with me after again?"

"I never stopped loving you either."

Taeyeon took another pause. I'm sure she's hated me for this long.

"Then why break up with me?"

"Taeyeon, we both knew we were drifting apart and with our busy schedules, we barely even saw each other. I didn't want to be much of a burden to you just as much as I don't want our relationship to be a burden for the both of us when we are trying to reach both our goals."

"We could have tried until the very end."

"It's not the end yet."

 

I lay on my bed in the hotel where I'm staying at for the moment. This trip was actually another business trip of mine. I wasn't supposed to stay for long but why would I want to waste an opportunity to see Taeyeon? Now I'm thinking once again, was it the right move for me to even show up out of the blue and visit her? Should I have left everything the way it was? Did I make matters worse?

When I took another route to my college, that was when I discovered Taeyeon. I heard a voice that lured me in and I found her singing ever so softly. Her voice resonated through my ears. I remember that was around the time I just found out that my mother had passed and felt the lows. But Taeyeon brought me back to light. She always did.

In my memories, the times when Taeyeon would take care of me when I had a big project always made me smile. How could I let go of someone who was dear to me? Who took care of me? I would see her passed out on the couch on our old apartment, waiting for me to be done, but I never was done early enough to sleep on the bed with her. Looking at her cute, peaceful face sleeping soundly made my heart gush. Why did I get so lucky?

Whenever I felt low, Taeyeon was always there. But when was I ever really there for her? It seems I was caught up in my own mess that I didn't consider her own feelings either with anything that was going on. Why was I such a jerk?

Taeyeon had always been my light, she's my fire. Whenever I feel down, all of a sudden she would pop out of nowhere on my phone, on the TV, even on my mind. After reminiscing a memory of her or seeing her anywhere, a smile forms on my face.

 

As I got up from the bed the next morning, I prepared myself for the duties I was supposed to do. I was meeting up with a colleague of mine, Tyler Kwon, who helped me start up everything and build my own company. We've had something in the past but I already made it clear it just wasn't working out. He gave me feelings some feelings but it couldn't compare to how Taeyeon makes me feel. I felt bad it ended the way it did but we try to remain professional but never once does he leave out the option of getting back together again.

I went to Coridel's office, Tyler Kwon's company, with important paperwork and plans in hand. I had my design assistant, Seohyun, with me as well to help me throughout the whole meeting. She also knew my history with Tyler.

"I got your building design here and the finance portion of how much it would cost to build it," Seohyun told me, browsing through the documents she had in her hand while we were walking towards Coridel's office.

"Great, make sure the important financial parts are highlighted."

"Yes ma'am."

While I confirmed everything that is needed with Seohyun, someone else came in the room. There he is, Tyler Kwon.

"Long time no see, Jessica. How are things? Business going well in New York?" he started with a big smile across his face.

"Yup, thanks for the hard work!"

"Alright, let's see this plan," Tyler asked for the folder and Seohyun handed it to him. He browsed through the design and nodded, seemingly liking the idea.

"The design may seem like the store would be pretty spacious, and may seem as if it'll cost a lot to build but the architecure design team actually just made it look spacious. As you can see, the dimensions are listed as so. It's only one level. We will be displaying one sample of each size of the clothing and one sample of the glasses and accessories that are wanted. They will also be provided a scanner to scan the items that they wanted provided with the size. The building will hold approximately 70 people at max."

"What if there's a large influx? Remember, you're pretty popular."

"Lines will be set up and security will be hired, at least on the first few months from the grand opening."

Tyler nodded.

"Seems like a good plan."

"The calculated costs are on the back. Listed there are the costs to build the building itself. Also listed there is how much shipping cost would be for the following items displayed in the store. Employee costs are there as well."

"It seems you've hit jackpot taking over the lease on that building in Itaewon. Did you talk them down?"

"Knowing how much the lease is for property in the strip of Itaewon, the business owner couldn't handle it, especially with how much money they're losing. I provided them a better area that could benefit them, a financial plan, and an explanation that could work better for them, which convinced them that it would be better they give us the lease."

"That's what I'd like to hear. Good business practice. It's nice being partnered with you, Jessica."

For all I know, Tyler still has hopes of us getting back together hence why he still has me in his company. He could literally tear up our contract at any point because he is the boss. Eitherway, I'm thankful I'm partnered by a generous and knowledgable businessman. I may not be able to give him what he wants, but I could at least provide him a good friendship.

 

Seohyun and I drove to the location for the store. We were going to meet up with the company that we hired to do the renovations on the building. Seohyun brought every little detail we had for the store. Upon arriving, the renovators were already waiting.

"Good morning," I bowed to greet them, "sorry we took so long."

"You're good. No need to worry about it. Should we get along with the plans then?" the head of the renovating company asked.

"Of course."

Seohyun and I worked with the renovators to explain in depth of what we wanted to happen and showed them the paperwork explaining every detail specifically. While in the midst of it, someone was playing a certain song that rang into my ears.

"Even when I'm singing now, I see you. I will see you again tomorrow. I will hear you again tomorrow..."

That's right. It was the song she sang with her band: "Time Spent Walking Through Memories."

"Miss?"

I shook my head, catching myself from the daze I just had, the memories I have with Taeyeon.

"S-Sorry... where were we?"

 

I'm back at my hotel room with Seohyun to keep me company. Seohyun had been worried about me since I got back to Korea. I'm guessing she knew something was off about me. Did I look too anxious and worried upon coming here? All I could think of was seeing Taeyeon again the whole time I was here.

"What's wrong, Jess? I'm talking to you as a friend and not your assistant this time," she asked as she sat on the bed by me.

"I haven't told you this yet at all but I was in a serious relationship with someone before I have established myself as a fashion designer," I confessed.

"Is that why you look off ever since we got here? I heard that you also went out by yourself the other night. Did you go to see this person? And is this person also the reason why you couldn't commit to Mr. Kwon?"

I nodded my head to answer her questions.

"Tell me about it! I promise I won't judge!"

"This person is famous. I don't want to start something that may cause a buzz and ruin their reputation."

"This person's a singer? An actress? Comedian? I got questions now and I'm all excited about it! Eitherway, you're also a famous designer now so why does it matter?"

"You like your privacy, right?"

After a minute of deep thinking, Seohyun finally understood why I wanted to keep things a secret.

"I didn't think about that... but anyway, I promise I wouldn't tell anyone. Who is it?"

"Are you sure you're not going to judge?"

"Promise! It's the year 2020, there is no room to judge anymore."

"Alright... well... it's a girl."

Seohyun was dumbfounded.

"A girl?! I couldn't even see you being with a girl nor liking a girl!" she said in disbelief.

"I know I come out as too feminine to be gay but trust me, us femmes exist."

She held her head in disbelief, "what a shocker! So, who is it?"

"Kim Taeyeon."

Upon the mention of the name, I received a slap on the arm.

"Ow!" I yelped.

"Shut up!"

"You wanted to know so there's your answer. Anyway, what was that for?!" I asked as I massaged the area she hit.

"You were in a relationship with the famous Kim Taeyeon?! She's gay?!"

"I mean... we were in a relationship but I'm not sure if she only likes girls if that's what you're trying to figure out."

"Anyway," Seohyun tugged onto my sleeve, "when did this happen and why did you guys break up?"

"It was my fault really. I was the one who broke up with her. We met when she was still doing some busker gigs on the street with her band and while I was going to fashion designer school. They got picked up by an agent during our relationship and we both just got too busy to even spend time with each other. I felt like we were just slowly falling apart since we didn't have time at all for each other because she's usually tired from her practices and I'm usually tired from studying for fashion design... so I decided we should just focus on our careers or goals and break up," I explained.

"That is a sensible reason," she nodded her head, "so what did she say when you got back, assuming that you met up with her that night you went away alone?"

"I think I actually just made it even worse between us."

"If she's still affected, then there is hope. I think you should at least try again since you feel things for her after all this time..."

"You're right... but how? I don't have her phone number or her Kakaotalk."

"You're famous. You have ways to get what you need."

 

I thought about what Seohyun said as I lay on my bed alone. It was 1AM and I'm still awake, thinking about Taeyeon and wondering what she was up to. I reached for my phone and looked through my contacts to see if anyone could possibly give me Taeyeon's contact information. I should have just asked her when I met up with her after the concert. Silly me.

"It's not the end?" she scoffed, "after all these years you think we could just easily get back together... rekindle what we've had. I'm finally a successful singer with my peers and you're finally a famous fashion designer. Congratulations! Shouldn't things remain the same as it is now that we've reached our goals... the main reason why you broke it off with me before anyway?"

"Taeyeon, could you hear me out? I said I never stopped thinking about you."

"I never did either... and I hate you for that. Just... get out of my head, Jessica. I'm begging you."

"Why don't we start over?"

"Just for you to break up with me again..."

"For real this time, I want to show you how much you mean to me because it's you... it's only been you... only you."

I shifted around my bed uncontrollably. My mind was filled with all these possible scenarios. How am I going to prove to her that I deserve a second chance? I don't even know where to start.

Suddenly, my phone rang. I looked and received a message from Seohyun.

"Don't fret. I got what you're looking for," she texted. Attached was Taeyeon's contact information.

My heart did a huge beat. I finally have Taeyeon's number. But what should I tell her? "Hi, I happen to just have a friend stalk you for me." Crazy.

I took a deep breath and finally decided to send her a message.

"Good evening... I got this number from someone else. I'm sorry, I should have asked you while we were talking after the concert. Anyway, when are you free. I was wondering if we could meet up again. - Jessica J."

I threw my phone across the room and squealed into the pillow as I squeezed it hard. I can't believe I'm actually rekindling what I had with her in the past.

A few minutes later, my phone rang. I got up the bed and ran to pick it back up. It was Taeyeon who sent a message.

"Now would be a good time," the message read.

I'm actually already very sleepy even if I couldn't sleep. But if I had any chance to see Taeyeon, I'm going to take it all.

I replied a time we are meeting at and got ready for it. I also told her my room number. This was my time to shine again and woo her this time instead of her. But all of this seem like a dream and I'm wondering if I'm actually living in reality. If this is a dream, I don't want it to stop.

 

The room was all cleaned up and I refreshed myself. I was waiting for Taeyeon to come in until I heard a knock. I peered through the little opening in the middle of the door and let her in, after I confirmed it was her. Taeyeon is in my hotel room and I couldn't believe it at all.

"Out of all places, you wanted to meet up in your hotel room? Don't do anything funny now, Jess."

"I won't," I shook my head as I pointed at the seat for her to sit in. I poured some wine over a glass and offered it to her but she declined the offer.

"Just my question is... after all these years... our time being apart. Why? I stopped thinking about you too much. You come across my head every now and then and it doesn't bother me as much anymore. But now... why now? Why appear all of a sudden and mess up my mind once again?"

I sat on the edge of the bed and sighed. All I wanted was to make up with Taeyeon but I understand why she's hurting through all of this. But if she's here, that just means I have a second chance with her... right?

"I'm sorry for the past. I thought it was better for the both of us instead of remaining in a relationship together. Wouldn't have that caused an issue for your career anyways? It wouldn't really affect me as much as it would affect you, knowing how Korea is with the same relationships."

"I don't care what they say. I wanted you and loved you. My career is important but you also were. You don't know how long it took me to get over you."

"If you're over me, then why are you here?"

"To get more answers... and closure," she shyed away.

"If you really don't want me to be in your life anymore... I get it. I understand why you would be mad at me over the past. I made a decision without thinking of what you would feel. I hurt you... and I am very sorry about that. I do hope we can mend things... and if we can't be lovers like in the past, I would like to be friends with you at least."

"I don't want to hurt again."

"And I promise not to hurt you, once again."

"How can I be so sure of that when you already did it before."

"Because... I don't know how many times you have to hear this, but I still love you Taeyeon."

I stood up from the edge of the bed and walked slowly closer to her. She seemed hesitant.

"You don't know how much I regret saying those words. I wasn't thinking right. I was afraid. We were drifting apart and I was afraid you would break up with me so I did it before you can even do it. I was a coward, Tae. And I thought that would have been a better decision without thinking about how you feel. And I want you to hopefully trust me again and this time I promise not to hurt you again. I will try to regain your trust, in whatever way I can. I just hope you give me a chance because it's always been you."

I held her hand and slowly leaned over. I can hear her breathing a bit harder than normal. Soon, our lips met and danced around with each other. Our tongues colliding as well. She stood up and pushed me over to the bed, pinning me down right after.

"I missed that feeling."

"Just shut up and do it all over again," I demanded and pulled her closer.

 

Over the course of the week, Taeyeon and I would meet up every night at my hotel room and make love to each other to make up for those lost times. Everytime I would be at work, I would be wishing it would be night time already. Now, I usually doze off and am unable to keep up with the whole reason why I actually got back to Korea.

Seohyun snapped in front of my face and I jolted up.

"What has gotten into you?" she whispered, "have you been so busy talking to Taeyeon? Ever since I gave you her number, you started falling off of the face of the earth!"

"Maybe this is all your fault," I chuckled, "but in all seriousness... we've been meeting during the night when mostly everyone is sleeping."

"That's very risky."

"Ehem," the head of the renovation team coughed up.

"Sorry..." I apologized.

Suddenly, I received a message from Tyler. I excused myself and had Seohyun talk to the renovation team about everything else. I opened up the message and my heart sank. He linked an article regarding Taeyeon sneaking into my hotel room late at night.

"Why is a famous celebrity coming over to your hotel room late at night?" he asked.

"I've known her while I was in school. She only usually has freetime at night nowadays," I replied.

"If you say so. I suggest you be careful."

When was there ever a paparazzi around the damn hotel?! Damn paparazzis... this is what I feared! I immediately messaged Taeyeon about the issue to let her know what was going on.

"I already know. My management talked to me about it already and I told them you were a long time friend. I made up an excuse to where I didn't want to meet you out of work during the day because the only time I'm available when you're available is during the night... and the fact that I didn't want to be seen by other fans out during the night," she replied.

It was a nice cover up story which was believable... but also disheartening. If we were going to actually pursue this relationship, are we going to have to hide forever?

 

As Taeyeon and I laid in my bed with her head on my chest, looking up at the ceiling, I decided to ask her about our whole ordeal. I figured this time would be the best time to ask about it and it's been bothering me all day. Taeyeon was finally upon my arms again but of course there's always a downside to everything.

"Are we forever going to hide 'us'?" I asked as I brushed her hair through my fingers.

"I know you thought about this as well for some time now... but we should probably do so for the time being..." Taeyeon answered. My heart sank.

"I want to show off to everyone that we're together... but I do understand why we should keep this private for now."

"It's alright, one day, I will be able to tell the world that we're together. In the meantime, you already know..." she moved her head and gazed at me, her eyes reflecting the light from the moon, "... you're my only one."

Taeyeon who has been my candle this whole time, the one who lifted me up while I was struggling in my past, she's the one. My only one... true love. I don't know what the world has for us, but I am ready to face any challenges we may have because, as of now, I am with her. I'm not letting go anymore. I'll protect her if ever the news broke out about us. I will hold onto her tightly because I am thankful that it is us... forever in the end.