Decision

A bumpy ride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was yet another morning of her hard life. Namjoo woke up to news from her mother.

“What is it?” namjoo asked unwillingly, thinking it was yet another story but couldn’t stop herself watching her dull face.

“One of our relatives, i heard they are looking for a bride for their son. So i suggested my cousin to talk about you” she answered troubled.

“So? What about it? You don’t even ask me and do accordingly. What’s the issue?” namjoo mocked as she never was given a choice.

“They accepted to marry but…..” she hesitated.

Namjoo raised her eyebrows telling her to continue.

“They don’t want to marry you….but asked for yerim….they said yerim is beautiful and ….” she stopped praising noticing namjoo. She forced a smile.

“So what is wrong? If they are good people go for it. I don’t have a problem yerim getting married before me….to be honest, i don’t know if i want to…so why not right?” namjoo answered casually.

“You don’t understand namjoo. If yerim is married your chance of getting married will be…..on that yerim is still studying. What do you mean you don't want to marry?” her mother frowned telling what she is thinking is wrong.

“This is not the first time this happened. If they are genuinely interested and good family then it is fine by me” namjoo answered ignoring her question.

Her mother stuck to her decision that she can’t let that happen.

Yerim threw a pillow at namjoo hard on hearing the conversation.

“Stop acting like a responsible big sister. I don’t want to get married before you. How can you forget? My dream is to marry my rich brother in law’s brother so that we can become relatives there too. Didn’t i say that since we were young?” yerim questioned.

“You are still at it yerim? What is with this rich brother in law? Stop dreaming, that is never going to happen” namjoo frowned and left the room to get ready for office.

Yerim sighed watching her storming out of the room.

 

Namjoo was at the office tired. Everyday she was tired listening to the same things; either it was the stories of her unfortunate father or the pressure of her marriage. For once she preferred her life changing. That was not enough that she was handed extra work daily. She stretched her body tiredly in her seat. Without sleep, stress and responsibilities she was drained. There was no fun in her life.

As if she was shrouded by the clouds of darkness, another trouble arrived. Namjoo was packing to leave.The department head of hers, lee je hoon came to her seat holding files “Namjoo, here. Complete these files before going” he said giving them as she was about to leave for home.

“But these?…sir, i am done with work. I will do that tomorrow” she explained her working hours are done. It was quite dark outside and others left too.

He frowned “Namjoo, I am not requesting you, i am ordering you” he clenched his jaw. Namjoo didn’t back down “I am sorry sir. I can’t do it; this is not even my job. You have your subordinates why do you need me? I would help you but as you can see everybody left and being a girl i can’t stay in this office alone. On that my direct boss, left too” she said excusing herself.

Jehoon grabbed her arm when she was about to leave. “What namjoo, you always speak politely to me, smile at me, i thought you like me…this frowning doesn’t look good on your face” he said gritting his teeth.

Namjoo pulled herself back scared “What do you mean? I talk to everybody in the same way. You are no exception. Now, please excuse me” she said clenching her fists controlling her anger.

Jehoon laughed evilly, moving closer to her. Namjoo stepped back noticing his intentions weren’t good. She was creeping out as this was the first time she encountered something like this.

Namjoo was trapped at the wall shivering, looking at him grinning at his victory. Jehoon uttered his words coming closer.

“Namjoo, fine i will come to the point. I just wanted us to be alone….Can you please come with me to the hotel? Just for an hour please. I…just come” he whispered into her ear, his eyes showing lust.

Namjoo felt disgusted listening to his words, on that he was a married man. She wanted to slap him hard but controlled her anger just because he was her superior. She clenched her fists and pushed him hard.

Fear controlled her mind; she sprinted outside as fast as she can afraid he will catch her. She quickly hired a taxi and controlled herself. She dropped off to a place nearby her house.

Tears flooded in her eyes, recollecting about that horrible encounter. Her legs weakened and fell on her knees. She sat beside the road muffling her cries.

She felt as if insects crawling on her body noticing his dirty eyes on her. It felt disgusting to her. She was a girl with self respect and pride. She was always careful of her actions, knowing there are such people in this world. Never in life had anyone spoken to her in that manner.

I am tired god. I don’t want this in my life. Wasn’t i living my life quietly then why people always trouble me? That is the reason i don’t believe anybody. I don’t trust anybody in life especially men.

She wanted to cry badly but to her bad luck she couldn’t even cry in her life. Always suppressing her cries and feelings, she was tired.

At the right time hyesung called her.

Namjoo wiped the ends of her eyes and took the call.

“Hello? Namjoo?” hyesung said seriously from the other side.

Namjoo noticed something was off; it was clearly noticeable through her voice.

“Hyesung, what happened?” she asked.

Hyesung faked a smile, controlling her tears.

“Namjoo, they fixed my marriage with an unknown guy. I don’t want to marry but i don’t have a choice too…..i don’t know what i should be doing now?” she expressed

“But you don’t like him right? Then why are you saying yes?” namjoo asked sitting in the corner of the road, under a tree.

“I have no choice. My parents….i heard them talking. They were crying. I can’t see them unhappy anymore…… May be he is a good person” hyesung said controlling herself.

I am sorry….i can’t do anything for you….because i don’t know what to do with my own life.  Namjoo wanted to tell her but didn’t utter a word, instead burst out crying “I am sorry”.

Hyesung cried on the other side “Why are you making me cry? Please don’t cry namjoo. I am trying hard to accept it. Please or i will not call you for my wedding” she requested.

Namjoo smiled on hearing that. Both the friends smiled with tears in their eyes. Hyesung told the details.

“So you are getting married in 15 days? On that you will be leaving this city?...You are leaving me alone?” namjoo complained.

“As if you meet and call me now. By the way, you need to help me out in shopping and always stay with me at the ceremony” hyesung requested while namjoo accept saying it was her right, who will do it if not her.

The call ended, namjoo sobbed quietly thinking she will be lonely without her only friend….She sat in the same place until her tears subsided. She couldn’t discuss today’s incident with hyesung at all when she is this troubled.

Namjoo came to house after calming down, only to be greeted by her mother’s depressed face. Ignoring her she left inside to freshen up and to clear her mind. She was exhausted due to work, because of the sleepless nights and today’s incident. The dark circles were clearly visible under her eyes. She couldn’t discuss her problems with anybody else.

Yerim came rushing to her “Namjoo” she called.

Namjoo was a girl with lots of patience but once she loses it, she turns into an unleashed beast and her family knew her side.

She was puzzled “What’s wrong?” she asked watching yerim’s eyes darting in fear. She could not understand the reason but heard her father’s voice.

That’s it her patience was out. She clutched her head unable to listen to their parent’s arguments. She was sure if she didn’t step in they might involve in a physical fight. Also, if she steps out now she will murder somebody. She sighed and glanced at yerim.

“Relax, namjoo….cool down” she requested telling her not to get angry.

Not having any choice, namjoo left to the living room controlling herself.

 Her father informed about a match he brought for her as he noticed her presence.

“Look, this is the best match i could find for you. I met with the groom’s parents and they liked your picture very much. They accepted a girl like you, so don’t make an issue and accept or else be single for your whole life as i don't think there is a guy out there who is willing to marry you” he declared with a smirk and left without asking her consent.

That’s what happens all the time, since childhood she wasn’t given any choice just explained what they decided for her.

Namjoo was already at her limit today, she didn’t want another scene now but that thought disappeared when her mother started as soon as her father left.

“Are you satisfied? Are you happy now? Even he who has done a mistake is treating us this way, just because of you. You know what your aunt called me and advised today? She suggested marrying you off to somebody for name sake and then getting a divorce” she shouted, showing eyes of disgust to namjoo.

“Great mom, why are you blaming me? Why are you only blaming him? You are equally at fault too. Fights doesn’t happen just one sided, it is always too sided. You are equally responsible for everything happened in our lives” namjoo snapped.

“And about your sister, you considered that idea, right?” namjoo asked her mother, controlling the tears which were about to fall.

Her mother didn’t answer her questions. Namjoo let out a broken chuckle “Man, this is another addition to my already spoiled life….great” she laughed wiping the ends of her eyes.

“Do you think marriage is a game? Oh yeah, it is a game for you both, you and your husband. For once did you think what i feel? How can parents wish for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter