Date night

A bumpy ride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo drove hurriedly and stepped into a basement of a building urgently. As soon as he spotted a man he immediately landed a punch on his face. Jin, jungshin and other man has to step in to stop him.

“D.O, calm down man” the male convinced him.

Nodding kyungsoo patted the guy’s arm “Thanks hyunsik, man you helped me a lot” he appreciated.

Hyunsik brofisted “Don’t man, what are friends for. By the way, why did you want to do this unofficially? I am an excelled police officer, i can straighten their backs if you just filed a complaint” he suggested.

Shaking his head kyungsoo leaned closer to the man who he punched before “He dared to lay a hand on what’s mine. I want to know why?” he glared at the gang of four men tied to the chairs. It was as if he was different person. He spared nobody, a cruel and sly man, that’s his other side.

Twisting his jaw and torturing him “Tell me, why you kidnapped the girl? Whose command was it?” he asked calmly leaning closer.

The square faced man who kidnapped namjoo and his gang were caught. Gulping he shook his head “I don’t know….believe me” he repeated the same dialogue to everybody from past half an hour.

“Impossible!!” kyungsoo screamed. “You knew she was going to come through that route. Who told you?” he demanded. “I…i just got a phone call. I don’t know who he was” he begged them.

Jin held him “D.O, control man” he advised. “Cool down? I will kill him if he touched her” he punched the man’s face in anger.

Hyunsik and jungshin joined him and brought him to the side. Hyunsik requested him to file a complaint but kyungsoo denied saying namjoo doesn’t want this so he chose this unofficial route.

“You must have traced his call right?” kyungsoo hoped for the culprit to get caught.

Jin hesitantly suggested “D.O, let’s just leave this matter”. Kyungsoo was puzzled “What?” he asked suspiciously. The way jin advised was definitely weird. He also averted his eyes from his gaze which he only does when he lies to him.

Thankfully, hyunsik also suggested the same saying they can’t hold them down without a legal complaint. With a strict warning they were left.

Kyungsoo glanced at hyunsik and he got it "I will keep an eye on them" he patted his arm.

He thanked his friends for their help, also jungshin. 

Namjoo was with yerim in her room. “Namjoo, look your photo is published in the newspaper” she showed it.

Hurriedly she took the paper in her hands and read the news about her marriage with kyungsoo. She saw the picture published. Her face was covered with veil and her face was hardly visible. She smiled recollecting how kyungsoo lowered her veil for her that day. He is really kind.

Yerim cleared while she played with her fingers. She acted nonchalant even after getting caught. Taking the opportunity yerim asked “Did something happen between you?”. Puzzled namjoo asked “Nothing. Why?”. She did say that but she was troubled over today’s incident. She was aware kyungsoo noticed it too.

She was worried as kyungsoo didn’t return yet. She checked her phone a number of times. Yerim grabbed the phone from her hand “Oh my god, namjoo….new iphone…I always wanted one” she pouted. “Let me see” she didn’t even wait for her and kept checking the phone.

Namjoo felt bad for her and ruffled her hair gently. Yerim smiled “Its okay, you can buy one for me on my birthday” she suggested. Namjoo chuckled and nodded. “Really?” she became excited and hugged her.

The phone rang and yerim kept hitting her hand on the floor, laughing hard. “Husband with a heart?” she wiped the ends of her eyes. “Namjoo, I didn’t know you were so romantic” she teased.

Realising it must be kyungsoo who was meddling with her phone in the shop, she giggled. Controlling her laughter she took the call “I am on my way. Don’t want to disturb others just come outside” he softly spoke and ended the call when she agreed.

“Date night?” yerim nudged. Namjoo nodded smiling “I need to go. Bye” she bid farewell to the others and left.

She was outside in the cold waiting for kyungsoo to arrive but to her bad luck encountered her father.

“It was you, wasn’t it? You were the one behind the kidnapping?” she inquired, straightforwardly.

Laughing, he accepted “So, what? I just wanted you to marry the one i chose for you and yet you got married to Doh kyungsoo” he shamelessly reasoned.

She was dumbfounded “Why do you do this? Why do you hate me so much?” she demanded answers.

“Why you ask??” he screamed. “Of course, i hate you. Only if you weren’t there i would never waste my life living with that woman who is your mother. I despise you!!....only if you weren’t born” he finally snapped.

Tears flooded her eyes. Letting out a broken chuckle “Finally you said it, did you once think that it was you who brought me into this world. Don’t you think you should hate yourself instead of blaming me who has done nothing wrong?” she enraged.

“Namjoo” he raised his hand to hit her but kyungsoo stepped in between. He held his hand stopping him from hurting her. She was dumbfounded also afraid he might have heard the conversation thankfully he didn’t as he just arrived.

Clenching his jaw he dropped his hand “Nobody….and when i say that…..nobody hurts my wife….it might be true that you are her father but now…..she is my wife and i will not tolerate anybody laying a finger on her” he warned seriously. Namjoo teared up watching kyungsoo and hearing his words.

“Son in law, that… it was just an argument. She was being rude to me, this girl has no manners at all” he made excuses showing his teeth.

Lifting his hand, stopping him from making excuses “I don’t want to listen to anything. I know how rude and mannerless my wife can be and it is my problem to deal with it. Your responsibility ended the moment you married her off to me. So before raising a hand on her again think carefully because she is now ‘Do namjoo’, my wife” he glared at him.

Grabbing her hand he directed her to the car, after settling himself he drove off. Her father clenched his fists but he was aware he was no match for kyungsoo so he gave up.

The ride was silent as namjoo didn’t speak anything. Pretending to be fine she glanced at him who was really angry at the earlier incident. How badly was she treated? Was she always abused? He kept thinking about it.

“K…kyungsoo-ssi, did you complete your work?” she started the conversation.

“Yeah” he simply replied and continued with his driving.

“Kyungsoo-ssi, it was not so serious…..we just had a small argument. Please don’t spoil your mood because of it” she suggested. Watching her expression he sighed and nodded.

“When you said those words…..i was happy” she expressed. He looked at her and he noticed her sincerity. “Anything for you” he seriously said. Flushed, she played with her fingers.

“I am hungry” she declared. He glanced at her “Want to something delicious?” he asked. She nodded smiling widely. Thanks to her effort he was feeling better. Feeling relieved that he didn’t ask any further she sighed.

 

They arrived at a restaurant. He brought her to an upscale place. After handing the keys they entered the restaurant. The manager welcomed them and guided them to a private table.

Namjoo’s heart stopped looking at it as she heard about that restaurant. It is really hard to get a reservation there. Like a gentleman he offered her chair and sat opposite to her “Be comfortable” he said smiling.

She nodded. She glanced at the ambience of the restaurant and acknowledged it. It was beautiful.

The manager came to him immediately “Mr.D.O, it is pleasure you are here sir” he said which implied that he was probably a regular here.

Kyungsoo nodded with his professional mask on his face. She wondered why he was different as he hardly smiled.

“What would you like?” he asked while she hesitated as she saw nothing in that menu which was familiar.

“Anything you like” she gave an answer. He nodded and ordered some food whose names she probably heard for the first time.

In the meantime, kyungsoo handed a rose to namjoo “For you” he said.

“Thank you” she took it and smelled it. She felt happy gently touching it. Noticing her he smiled too. No matter i give her one flower or a whole bouquet she is the same.

“It makes me happy” he said. She was attentive. “Seeing you smile makes me happy” he reasoned. What’s with the cheesy lines? You are becoming weird D.O. He scratched his nape.

Avoiding his eyes, she immediately fidgeted with her dress. He kept looking at her while she tucked her hair behind her ear troubled. Why does he keep looking at me like that?

“You are beautiful” he commented making her startle. Did i say it aloud? Or can he read my mind? She trembled due to the cold. Did he just call me beautiful? But i am not.

“You are” he expressed still gazing at her. Shutting her eyes she turned her head to the side. Don’t look at me. I don’t know what to do. Suddenly he got up and placed his coat over his shoulders.

He needs it not me. She held on to the coat. “Yes, you do” he replied again.

“I should be careful with you” she declared for which he chuckled. “Even i was not aware i was this dangerous. After all i am a cute and squishy penguin” he remarked, clearly pulling her leg.

Covering her cheeks with her palms “You like holding grudges, don’t you?” she questioned. Anticipating a pout behind her veiled face he chuckled, also agreeing he is stubborn “Not only that i get what i want” he revealed, gawking at her.

Immediately she shifted her eyes from him. What did he mean by that? Was he implying ….? No…no…..i am probably overthinking.

Thankfully, the meal was brought and she got a new problem in front of her. There are number of forks and spoons placed on the table. Urgh…I forgot about these rich people’s unnnecassary etiquettes and manners. Can’t they just take one spoon….. but the food looks delicious.

She glanced at kyungsoo confused while he was waiting for her to take a first bite.

Now what should i do? I wanted to look but he isn’t eating. Which spoon shall i take? Indecisively she reached different spoons but couldn’t lift one confidently.

Kyungsoo who noticed that smiled and picked a spoon for her “This” he gave while she smiled back thankfully. How did he know? So embarrassing.

“It is really unneccassary to have so many spoons. I mean why? Right?” he said placing his hand on his lips and pushed the spoons and forks to the side.

Hanging her head down she smiled, secretly she lifted her eyes only to see him still looking at her. She urgently ate the food. A smile appeared on her face as the food was extremely delicious as she anticipated. Kyungsoo was amused to watch her satisfied expression. Only after making sure he took a bite.

“Now, that we are married, don’t you want to know about me?” he suggested that they discuss things.

Shifting her eyes from food to him she nodded gulping the food in .

“What food do you like?” he asked. “Everything, i am not a picky eater” she revealed. Listening to that he chuckled “I can see that. You ate everything served” he revealed that he observed.

She felt embarrassed also mentally reminded to eat slowly. She didn’t want to reveal that it was the first time she has gone to a restaurant and ate delicious food. She never went out to eat; it was sometimes with hyesung that too they ate only street food.

“About me…” she interrupted him “Umm….i know…i asked mom today” she revealed she enquired about his interest in food. “I mean i felt bad that i served you only the things you hate” she felt sad.

He wanted to place his hand on hers with an intention to comfort her but stopped midway. Namjoo who noticed this felt guilty. “Lollipop, it was my fault not to inform you. The effort you put into it cannot go to waste that is the reason i ate it even though i hate sweet things” he explained. She was moved. He is completely different every second but he is consistent in being kind.

“Well, there are somethings which i can tell about you even if you don’t tell me” he proudly announced. She gave a quizzical look. “For example, you are selfless…straightforward and frank…..You almost hit me that day” he teased. Listening to that a pout appeared on her lips “I don’t hit people. That was because you were really arrogant that day” she reminded.

“Hey, i am not arrogant. That day i was just disturbed” he revealed while she was flushed recollecting why they met that day. Disturbed? Was i the reason? Wait, namjoo…you are thinking too much it might be related to work.

“Hey” he whispered, telling her look at him. Slowly she looked at him.

“Well, you need to bear with me as i am handsome” he smirked.

She giggled like a child. What’s with that over confidence? Well, he is indeed handsome.

“Workaholic, childish…sometimes” he argued. She chuckled listening to him.

“Yes, and got lots of attitude” he raised his eyebrows. She whined internally, a pout appeared on her lips as he was pulling her leg.

“Possessive” he whipered playfully.

On his confession she felt shy thinking there will be time when she will see that side.

“Do you want to ask me anything?” he inquired. She just shook her head “There isn’t anything” she expressed. Wind blew suddenly and her long hair kept flowing. She kept adjusting it; out of embarrassment she bit her lower lip.

She looked so stunning that he was lost in her innocence and purity. Fixedly he kept looking at her eyes and then shifted to her lips. Namjoo’s eyes shifted from her hair to him only to notice his attention on her.

Immediately breaking his thoughts which hadn’t occurred thankfully, he cleared his throat. D.O, she is going to declare you as a creep soon. Man, what the hell is wrong with you?

“Do you want to try nicknames?” he changed the topic. Silence filled in the air as it was so out of blue but he was jealous that she called jin by his name this morning. She was perplexed. Nickname? What should I do?

 Continuing “I thought about it a lot” he smiled thinking about it. Curiously, she paid attention to him.

“The nickname i want to give you is ‘love’” he revealed. Lowering her head she played with her fingers shyly. Love? Unpredictable….but again this is him. His eyes glinted “With an intention that our relationship should be filled with love. I decided this name. Are you alright with it?” he asked her opinion.

Not looking at him and nibbling on her lower lip she nodded slowly. “What do you want to call me?” his deep voice rang in her ears. He stopped “Wait, wait…not penguin” he warned which made her giggle.

“Kyungsoo-ssi” she mumbled coming back to the topic. Leaning on the chair as he was a bit disappointed “As you wish, as long as you call me” he joked. Why, even after I gave her a chance? I am so irritated, i wonder why?

She shut her eyes feeling uneasy.

The dessert was served disturbing their silence. She glanced at him with a sad expression thinking she isn’t doing anything for him. Truthfully, she doesn’t know anything about relationships so it is really hard for her. In addition to that was her distrust in people.

They spoke about lot of things likes, dislikes…not that they rushed to know each other but took it slow.

Kyungsoo suddenly brought the topic of her father “What i saw earlier?”. She froze “I…it was a misunderstanding” she assured him. Nodding “If you say so” he accepted though he was clearly suspicious.

“Lollipop, did you feel good coming on a date with me?” he asked and she smiled “Yes” she answered confidently.

Smiling widely, “You know lollipop, i don’t realize why am saying this but…..i am happy that you came into my life” he expressed. Surprised she looked at him feeling emotional. I don’t know about that kyungsoo-ssi. I don’t know if i am good enough for you. You keep giving me happiness but i…..He continued “Thank you for being born” he smiled at her.

As soon as she heard those words the tears came rushing to her. “E..excuse me” she urgently headed to the direction of the washroom. He was stunned and pondered if he said something wrong.

As she turned the corner, she rested her head on the wall. Tears kept rolling down her cheeks. Thankfully she was alone, dropping on the ground she recollected the words her father said to her. Only, if you weren’t born. Burying her face in the palm of her hands she cried. Biting her lips in order to control her voice she recollected kyungsoo’s words. Thank you for being born.

Kyungsoo-ssi, thank you for making me feel important. It might not mean anything to you but still it made me happy…..thank you.  She repeatedly muttered. She kept crying as she was so thankful for his words.

Kyungsoo wondered if she didn’t like his words. As she was talking a long time to come back he decided to check up on her. As he went to look for her he found her crying in the hallway. He felt depressed watching her cry. Instead of comforting her he took his steps back. I guess i was right, she wasn’t happy marrying me. That’s the reason she is uncomfortable but she……told me she was happy and doesn’t regret marrying me….then why there are tears in her eyes. I don’t understand.

Taking a seat he kept thinking about her distress. Namjoo came back pretending to be fine. She smiled at him while he kept looking at her seriously. After looking at her intently for a while “Lollipop, are you uncomfortable with me?” he finally asked.

His frankness always leaves her speechless. Realising he is talking about today she shook her despondently “kyungsoo-ssi, i….no….i just need time” she decided to be honest with him. He nodded, pursing his lips.

“Let’s go” he quickly got up. She was puzzled what happened suddenly as everything was fine. It felt as if he was behaving differently. Is he not happy? What should i do? How should i make him happy? God, i don’t know….help me please.

They were walking together when she noticed a couple walking hand in hand. A smile appeared on her lips looking at how lovely they were together. She glanced at kyungsoo who was lost in thoughts. We are walking side by side but still she feels so distant. It is like there is a wall of glass between us. Why am i getting irritated over this? What am i even expecting? Isn’t it enough she is my wife? What more do i want?

Suddenly, taking a lot of courage she held his fingers nervously as she couldn’t hold his hand. He was surprised at her act. She closed her eyes tightly, taking heavy breaths. His smile returned. Only today he realized he was such a simple person. Tightening his grip he stopped walking.

Closing their distance he lifted her chin with his thumb. Slowly, she opened her eyes and looked at him shyly. A wide smile spread across his lips. Why are you affecting me so much? What are you? I don’t understand my own emotions anymore. One moment i was feeling down and now i am feeling as if i am the happiest person on earth.

“I must be crazy” he muttered in his deep manly voice.

“Hmm?” she was puzzled.  Shaking his head, he held her hand correctly and walked hand in hand. Namjoo followed him feeling anxious and embarrassed.

The couple reached their house and was preparing to sleep. Namjoo instantly took the couch and was getting ready to sleep.

“Lollipop, you are supposed to take the bed” he reminded her.

Shaking her head “You kept touching your back today. You felt uncomfortable sleeping on the couch right? It must have hurt. I will take the couch, since i am shorter than you i won’t have a problem sleeping on it” she advised.

“Ah…you noticed” he was embarrassed also happy she observed. “But still” he argued.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter