Chapter 22

Now Or Never

Jooheon what is your reason for why Lee Changkyun should still stay alive,” the soft voice asked.

Jooheon took a small deep breath and turned to face his brother who was sitting on the Conor dressed in all white, his eyes were narrowed down looking only looking up when someone said his name. Jooheon smiled to himself seeing his brother there, as he started to speak he lowered his eyes.

 “They said you won't know what you have until is too late. I never paid attention to that phrase until I was on both of my knees holding the small cold and bloody body of my brother in my arms, that i realized I loved and cared for him all this time. Ever since he walked into my life with his big puppy eyes calling out to be loved. I remember looking at him for a sec smiling as my heart filled with joy seeing him stand there looking down, but I covered that smile with hatred. I just wished I could go back to that moment and welcome him with big open arms. But i can't. I'm afraid he's going to let go not knowing how much he means to me, I’m afraid that his going to die feeling like a burden to the world, and I'm afraid he's going to die thinking he was never loved.”

Jooheon took another deep breath as he continues to tell them why his brother should live. He looked to his left and saw Changkyun sitting there listening to him convince. His heartache to seeing Changkyun looking healthy his deathly pale skin back to his normal color. His pale lips and swollen eyes back to how they used to be before he fell ill. “ Mr.Lee are you done.” Jooheon shook his head and gives his brother a small sad smile and went to continue what he was saying. This time he didn't turn his gaze down he wanted to look at Changkyun while he tells them how much he hated himself.

“when i was kneeling down on hospital bathroom floor watching him not fight for a life he doesn't want to be part of anymore scared me. All I wanted to do was run and grabbed him by his shoulder shake him to wake up tell him to open his eyes because his fight isn't over. That he wasn't supposed to die like this, tell him he is strong because he went through a lot by himself and for once he can lean on to someone. I was on my knees praying to a god, i didn't believe in to not to take him away from me. I prayed for one more chance to make everything right.” He can feel the warm tears running down his cheeks but he didn't wipe them away.

 1 hour before

“ Name Lee Changkyun time of death 10:45 pm on March 11” those worlds made Jooheon feel something ripping his heart out. He didn't want to believe them but seeing the doctors lower their heads as one of them walked to his father and put his hand on his father shoulder. His eyes drifted to his brother’s pale body he felt like he was underwater drowning. His breathing became uneven and before he knew darkness overtook him.

When Jooheon woke up he was standing in front of a large golden gate that sparked. The ground underneath him was cover with soft white clouds. The sky was dark with bright stars that shined everything. The air blew softly with a scent of coconut and fresh rain. He looked around confused wondering where he was and how he got there. When two white wings flapped in front of him he covered his eyes from the brightness of the wings. And when he lifted his arm he was standing face to face with the most beautiful woman he ever laid eyes on. she had golden hair that went down to her back green eyes that were shining. Her skin smooth as silk she wore a smile once you see it'll warm you inside. Jooheon didn't move as the woman walked closer to him. “ Lee Jooheon” her voice was quiet but anyone could hear her. Jooheon gives her confused looked before he answered her with a yes. “ come with me please.” “who are you, and where am i.” he asked looking around his surroundings. “ you, my dear are in Midway a place people go to when they have unfinished business you are on a special pass only the rarest of people get.” she smiled turning around her back facing Jooheon. “ I can't be dreaming I need to wake up my brother needs me.” Jooheon said to himself quality as he started to pitch himself to wake up. “ this isn't a dream my dear and someone is waiting for you.” Jooheon followed the woman as she opens the golden door, they walked through the white clouds and into a building that appeared out of nowhere. Jooheon kept pinching himself in hopes of waking up. “ that won't work Jooheon you aren't dreaming this is as real as me and you.” “ that's impossible you are not real, real people don't have wings or walk on clouds.” Jooheon felt like screaming he just wanted to wake up and see his brother. “ well you're here on a trial.” the woman said trying not to argue with Jooheon if midway was real or not. “ what trial?” he asked looking at her confusedly. She smiled and open an invisible door “ the trial whether your brother lives or goes up.” Jooheon was about to question her of what she was talking about when he found himself standing in the middle of a large room and in front of him stood Changkyun dressed in all white wearing a small smile. Jooheon gasped seeing his brother.

“ Mr.Lee welcome to Changkyun trial.” A man in all black said he looks slightly unamused as he welcomed Jooheon. Jooheon would have said something back but his eyes didn't leave Changkyun once. Seeing his brother alive and well filled his stomach with butterflies and he couldn't stop himself from tearing up a little. “Mr.Lee please take a seat as we start the trial,” the man in all black said. Jooheon took a seat on the chair that stood alone in the middle of the large room. “ court now in session.” the man said and everyone took their seats. Jooheon still didn't know what was happening he was only glad his brother was there. “ this trial is for Lee Changkyun and why he should stay alive. Mr. Jooheon we want to you to tell us why you want your brother to stay alive, and because of your testify we will declare whether he should or move to the next place.” the man said giving Jooheon a small smile before he took his own seat. Jooheon took everything that was going on in and started to realize what was happening. His eyes widen remembering what the woman said and where he was. He looked around seeing everyone around him looking at him waiting for him to speak. ‘A trial" thought and as he slowly put all the pieces together. And when it finally hit him why he was there he got ready.

“ Lee Jooheon what is your reason for why Lee Changkyun should still stay alive,” the soft voice asked.

 Back to the Trial

Changkyun looked at his brother and smiled as he convinced everything. he was surprised hearing how guilty Jooheon felt it made him want to run into his brother's arms. But he knew that wasn't his choice to make the court will decide whether he stays or go home. After 5 minutes of silents and Jooheon and Changkyun looking at each other.

After the judges made their decision they walked back into the room. Jooheon nervous was eating him alive as he waited for them to say something. “ The Midway court all took in what Jooheon said and we made our decision based on what he said. Lee Changkyun gets a second chance to live, and when he wakes up the tumor will be smaller than it was so the doctors can take it out. Congratulation the both of you and remember to live as happy as possible from here on.”  Jooheon smiled as the tears of joy started to fall down. He thanked everyone, and run to embrace his brother who hugged him back. “Changkyun you must leave first,” the woman said giving him a small smile. He thanked her as he disappeared. Jooheon looked worried as his brother disappear thinking he would never see him again. “ Don't worry Jooheon you will see him again. But when you wake up you will remember everything that happened here but Changkyun will not remember anything. i will warn you to be prepared because the road ahead of you will be bumpy, but i know you're going to do everything to make him that kid realize you love him so good luck.”

“ AGAIN” the doctor yelled shocking Changkyun. The heart meter started to move up and down giving a sign of life. The doctors looked at each other smiling then turning around to tell won that Changkyun was going to be alright.

Jooheon gasped for air as he opens his eyes he can see the ceiling of the bathroom and when he remembered what happened he quickly stood up to found the doctors telling his father Changkyun was going to be alright. He runs to his brother side giving him a tight hug “Changkyun i love you” he whispered as he hugged his brother.