Chapter 2.

By my Side

Jungkook stares down at his cup, watching the white cloud- like cream mix with coffee after he stirred it.

"How's college?" Yoongi speaks up, pulling Jungkook out of his small trance.
  "Huh? Oh. . . good" he answers.

Taehyung turns to the boy beside him "What did you choose to do?" he asks, remembering that Jungkook didn't know what he would want to do, he was ment to take over what his father was doing after all.

"Photography" 

The answer is simple but hits Taehyung in a warming way. Jungkook smiles at him before returning to his coffee.

Jungkook's eyes pass Yoongi, spotting something unusual. He looks closer at the man's arm, a purple bruise peeking from under his sleeve.

"What happened?" Jungkook asks, eyeing the bruise. Usually it would be people asking him.

Yoongi lifts a brow at him before realizing what the boy is talking about. He rubs his other hand over the mark "Accident at work"

A low laugh is heard, everyone turns to see Namjoon walking up to them with his boyfriend behind him.
""Accident" my " he snorts "Yoongi here, got beaten up by a drunk woman while trying to get her out of a club for causing chaos"

The said male glares at Namjoon while everyone laughs. 
Namjoon turns to Jungkook and grins "Haven't seen you in a while kid" he ruffles the boys hair.

"Pfft kid?" Jungkook hears Seokjin from behind Namjoon "Jungkook acts more mature than you ever did"
Namjoon's face falls, this time Yoongi snorts.

After everything that happened, Seokjin kind of came along and from the very first meeting, he treated Jungkook like a good friend, despite the age difference and little time to get and know each other, they got close. Jungkook could say Seokjin was like an older brother to him, which might have made Jimin a bit jealous at first but he accepted it after everything that Seokjin did for Jungkook. Without him, the boy probably wouldn't have gotten himself together. . .or as together as possible.

"Oh wow" Namjoon says, looking at Taehyung "After all, Jungkook didn't give you a black eye" he jokes before turning to Jungkook "Did you at least slap him?"

Seokjin glares at his boyfriend, elbowing him in the ribs. He steps closer to Jungkook, patting the boy's shoulder "Everything alright?"
Jungkook looks up at him with a small smile "Mhm" he gives a nod.

Taehyung completely ignores Namjoon. But he does hear him, and in his opinion Namjoon is right, Jungkook should have at least slapped him. Yes, Taehyung was denied permission to contact Jungkook, but he could have at least told Yoongi to let the boy know. And Jungkook has every reason to be angry, yet he took Taehyung back with love.

But after what Taehyung almost did, he couldn't get the courage to ask anyone to tell Jungkook.

Jungkook looks around the table, Yoongi and Jimin sitting across from him and Taehyung, smiles on their faces as they talk to Namjoon and Seokjin. His gaze turns to the older couple, looking at Namjoon and Seokjin holding hands. And he finally turns to Taehyung, scanning over his features that he can't help but admire.

If fourteen months ago, somebody told Jungkook that this is what his life would look like, put together, surrounded by people who care, he'd laugh in their face, convinced he would be dead by then. But here he is, knowing how happiness feels once again.

 

Jungkook listens to Jimin rambling on abou how this summer will be amazing while looking around, walking behind everyone else through Kangnam, the streets he has only drove by a couple of times.

"Where are you staying over night?" Jimin suddenly asks.
  Jungkook glances to the other four walking a few meters in front of them before looking at Jimin "A hotel" he simply answers, keeping his voice down.
   Jungkook could stay with Jimin for the summer, but the boy moved in with Yoongi, and even though Yoongi also asked Jungkook to stay with them, he feels he shouldn't.

"But that'll cost a lot. . ."

Jungk looks back to the shops around them "That's not a problem" he reminds. Jungkook doesn't even have to go to work if he doesn't want to, the money he got after his father is enough if he keeps part of it in a savings account, but he prefers to keep everything basic and as normal as possible, not act like some brat with money and live a perfect life. His life was never perfect, and he doubt's he'll ever get used to it if it was to become perfect. 

Jimin sighs "Come on, stay with us, it'll be fun" he whines.
Jungkook shakes his head at the boy's childish acting "You know I can't"

"Why?" Jimin sudden turns more serious "Because of Yoongi hyung?"
  "Keep it down" Jungkook warns.
Jimin crosses his arms "I thought the awkwardness between you and him was gone" he mumbles.

Jungkook shoots a half hearted glare at his friend "There never was any awkwardness,"
  Jimin doesn't look convinced "Even after the bre-?"
"Yes Jimin" Jungkook grits "Even after the break up, even during it. It was childish dating, nothing serious" he says. But somehow, it still slightly hurts.
"Im staying at a hotel, end of story"

Jimin groans "Fine!" He runs up to the group in front of them. 

"Yoongi hyung~" Jimin calls, smirking at Jungkook. The younger glares at him 'Don't' he mouths.

"Yea?" Yoongi turns to Jimin in question, confused about the 'hyung' part, it's been a while since Jimin stopped calling him hyung.

"Jungkook is staying in a hotel instead of staying with us and that's awful" he pouts. Yoongi glances at Jungkook, who looks displeased.

"Kookie you can-"

"It's fine hyung" he says "Jimin is just being overly dramatic"

Jimin gasps "Overly dramatic? You're planning on staying in a damn hotel for the summer!"

"He'll stay with me" Taehyung cuts in.
Jungkook looks at him, taken back "It's fine I'll-"

"That's not a question"

"Oooh~" Jimin raises his brow in a suggestive manner, winking at the both of them and gaining a slap on the back of his head from Jungkook
"What are you ing five?" 

Suddenly Jungkook's phone starts ringing, the tune of BigBang's 'fxxx it' playing.
Jungkook quickly pulls the device out, already aware of who's calling he smiles, answering. "Hey"

Taehyung looks back at Jungkook who stepped away a bit from the group, walking behind them, smiling at the ground with the phone at his ear. 'Who would he be talking to?' He wonders.

"Probably Mark" Jimin speaks up, as if reading Taehyung's thoughts. The older looks at Jimin "Mark?"

The boy nods "Jungkook's roommate, also a replacement of me" he jokes. "He's the only person Jungkook got close to extremely quickly, the guy is chill so there's nothing to worry about" he reassures "He helped Jungkook a lot. . .after you-. . what he thought happened to you" Jimin mumbles.

Taehyung immediately turns to the younger in confusion. Jimin quickly shakes his head and laughs "Not in that sense, they're just friends. . . Jungkook loved you too much to even look at any other person" he looks back ahead, smiling to himself "And he still does" 

Taehyung looks back at Jungkook once more, this time making eye contact with the younger. Jungkook seems to finish his call as he pulls the phone away from his ear, all while smiling at Taehyung.
He jogs up to the group.

 

"You like them?" Taehyung walks up behind Jungkook, startling the boy. Taehyung motions to the matte red headphones Jungkook was looking at, something that caught the boy's eye as they wandered around one of the shops.

Jungkook glances once more at the headphones "Yea they're nice, but the price is insane, who'd waste so much money on a pair of these?" he says, turning to walk away to find the rest of the group.

Taehyung smiles to himself, looking back at the pair of headphones. 'I would'

"Jungkookie!" Jimins squeals, running up to the boy and waving his right hand, a small silver chain around his wrist. 'That certainly wasn't there before' Jungkook thinks. He watches Yoongi following the boy, a small, barely visible smile at his lips. Jungkook lifts his brow at Jimin's childish jumping "What happened?"

"Yoongi got matching one's for us!" He waves the shinny bracelet around. Jungkook laughs "Yoongi hyung? And you're sure you didn't force him into buying matching bracelets?"

Jimin pouts "No. . . not this time"
Jungkook smiles "Well then, thats cute" he comments. His eyes pass Yoongi, making eye contact for the shortest moment before Jungkook forces his eyes away.

"Where's Seok-" and is if on call, Seokjin is spotted walking up to them.

"Here you are!" He says "Anyone seen Tae or Namjoon?"

Jungkook quickly turns around "Uh. . . Taehyung was with me a moment ago" he answers.

"I swear to god, just like in high school" Seokjin groans, pulling his phone out to text his boyfriend, just then the two missing males appear.
He looks up at them, one hand on his hip "You two sure love disappearing"

Namjoon laughs and Taehyung shrugs "Old habit

"So" Yoongi walks up closer to the group "Where to now?"

Everyone looks around in question.
"Plushy store!" Jimin exclaims.
"You are a plushy" Yoongi says, pulling the boy closer to his side by his waist.

"I'm kind of tired after the whole day. . ." Jungkook says, "I'll just take my suitcase and go check in-"

Taehyung turns to the boy "You're staying at mine so I'm coming with you"

Jungkook is about to protest and just go to a hotel but the older turns away from him, ignoring any argument.

"We'll be going" Taehyung smiles at the rest.

Jimin hugs Jungkook "I'm still mad that you won't stay with us"
The younger chuckles "You've got company stop complaining"

Yoongi steps closer to Taehyung "Tae you have to tell him" he grits through his teeth.
"What's the reason in him knowing, just so he worries? It won't ever happen again-"
  "He deserves to know" Yoongi glares "I don't ever want to seem him hurt because of you again"

Taehyung steps away, glaring back.

"If you don't tell him, I will"

Taehyung, turns away from the older. Jimin lets Jungkook go, waving at him "See you later!"
The younger waves back with a smile.

 


The two walk in silence towards Taehyung's car which had Jungkook's suitcase in it. It's not awkwardly silent, but there's something there, they just don't know what.

Jungkook looks around the empty street, the sky which was a mix of pastel colors two hours ago is now a dark blue and purple, the sun disappeared behind all buildings. Jungkook can't help but to think back to the beautiful view of a sunset he could see out of his dorm balcony in Busan.

 


They reach the vehicle, Taehyung jogs up to open the car's door for Jungkook.

But the boy freezes, staring at the black car. He could see it all again: Taehyung sitting in the car, hands firmly on the steering wheel, the yellow lights from the inside out-lining his features as he flashes Jungkook a small, reassuring smile. The smile Jungkook thought was the last he would ever see.

The piercing sound of car tiers as the car started drifting uncontrollably, Taehyung stepping on the brakes. The sound of glass shattering and metal scrunching up when the other, much larger car crashed forcefully into Taehyung's. 
He never managed to erase that from his memory, not after he seen it, not after all the nightmares reminding him of it.

Taehyung notices Jungkook's scared expression as he uncomfortably looks at the car, he instantly knows what the matter is. Taehyung shuts the cars door, walking up to Jungkook and standing in front of him.
"We can walk" he says, grabbing hold of the boy's hand "But you can't be scared of driving with me or else I won't be able to take you out to nice places out further" he smiles, trying to lighten the mood. Jungkook gives a small nod "It's fine, we can go by the car"

"You sure?"

Jungkook nods again "Mhm" he walks towards the car, hesitantly opening the door and sitting inside.

It hurts Taehyung, seeing how tense the boy beside him looks, sitting in the car as they drive towards his apartment. The moment they stop at a red light, a street away from their destination, Taehyung lays his hand on Jungkook's thigh, gently squeezing. Jungkook glances at him.
"We're almost there, relax" Taehyung says, his voice low.

Jungkook lays his hand on top of Taehyung's, intertwining theirs together. His eyes still on the buildings outside. When the light turns green Taehyung tries pulling his hand away, worried that Jungkook will be even more scared if he drives using one. But Jungkook doesn't let go, fear disappearing. He feels safe around Taehyung.