Chapter 19.

By my Side

Taehyung wakes up to the cold of his duvet. It takes him a moment to realize it's still dark outside, and his half asleep mind comes to a sudden wake up when he really notices Jungkook isn't beside him.

It's this odd fear. With everything that happened within this short amount of time, Taehyung really doesn't know what to expect. You could call him paranoid. Taehyung sits up on the bed, looking around the dark room and he's about to stand up. But the doors creak open, and a tall figure with messy hair walks in. The weight instanly drops off of Taehyung's heart.

"Did I wake you?" Jungkook half whispers, voice thick, not with sleep, rather with the lack of it.

"No," Taehyung breathes, stretching his hand out, a little gesture for the boy to come back to bed.

Jungkook does just that, dropping by his boyfriend's side. And he instantly feels Taehyung's arms pull him closer, they're still facing each other.

Taehyung pull the covers over the boy up to his shoulders, feeling how cold his hands are. Jungkook almost curls into himself, closing his eyes.

Taehyung's head is resting on his arm while he uses his free hand to brush away Jungkook's hair. The boy sighs in content.

Jungkook knows how worried Taehyung is. He knows the fear he feels. What he doesn't know is how to deal with itm

"Did you sleep at all?" Taehyung asks, voice quiet, low.

Jungkook opens his eyes, Taehyung is looking at him. The older looks sad. There's no other way to put it. He just looks sad.

The boy doesn't answer, he won't lie and say he did, but he doesn't want to admit to anything either. He really doesn't know how to deal with it.

Taehyung speaks again "What time is it?"

"Almost 5," The younger mumbles.

Taehyung's hand drops to Jungkook's own, resting right between their faces, tracing circles around his knuckles. He sighs.

Taehyung doesn't seem tired anymore. He's staring down at their hands. But Jungkook's gaze is on him.

"What if," Jungkook starts, a broken whisper "she gets my father out, and they come back here?"

Taehyungs looking at the boy now. "Then," he intertwines his fingers with Jungkook's, "I'll pack our stuff, buy a house in Paris, and make sure no harm gets anywhere close to you."

"I'm serious,"

"Me too, Kookie," Taehyung leans forward, kissing the boy's lips. "or does France not suit you?"

Jungkook can't help but smile, hiding his face in the elders bare chest. "You're ridiculous."

Taehyung chuckles, the boy can practically feel it. "I just love you."

Jungkook places a kiss on Taehyung's chest, sighing lightly. It's dark but Jungkook doesn't need to see to know where Taehyung's scar is. His hand travels down slowly, until he can graze his fingers over the scarred skin. It's been well over a year but Jungkook's heart still hurts just at the memory. The image of Taehyung, holding onto the knife, breath ragged, loosing consciousness. Oh how he hates that memory.

"Don't," Taehyung mumbles, brushing his hand through the boys hair. 'Dont think about it.' Jungkook knows what he means. 'Leave it in the past.'

Jungkook moves his hand up, resting it on Taehyung's waist. He pushes back the slightest, just so that he's looking at Taehyung again. And then Jungkook kisses him. Slow, deep yet gentle. Their lips melting together.

And so Jungkook finally falls asleep.

 


 

Yoongi pays his two friends a visit in the morning, just before eight. Jungkook of course, is still asleep, and Taehyung has no plans on waking him up. So he made sure to slyly leave the bed and give out to Yoongi for knocking a few too many times.

"How is he?" Yoongi asks, sat beside Taehyung on the sofa. The younger can see that Yoongi hasn't gotten much sleep either.

"He," Taehyung starts lowly "didn't push me away..." he traces off "It's really hard on him, he went to sleep at 5 in the morning."

Yoongi sighs quietly "I'm sure neither of us got much sleep either... Hey," he looks at Taehyung "he spoke to you yeah? that's a lot."

Taehyung manages a small smile, sighing. They sit back in silence.

"Choi is sending me to China, today." There was no other way for Yoongi to deliver this information. And it does come as a hit to Taehyung.

"What?"

"They found her, she didn't put up much of a fight," The elder explains "it's about time we get it all sorted out."

Taehyung glowers at Yoongi. "And what next?" he asks "is Jungkook supposed to forget about everything?"

Yoongi presses his lips together, contemplating. "Jungkook and you have permission to come, of course, and speak with her" he explains "but I don't think thats a good idea-"

"That's up to Jungkook,"

"Tae, the flight is at 1," Yoongi stares with brooding eyes "you expect the boy to wake up and make a choice on wether to meet his back-from-the-dead mother?"

Taehyung sits back "What am I supposed to tell him?" he asks "Yoongi hyung went to China to speak with your mother?"

It sounds normal, it sounds like the right thing to do, to tell Jungkook.

It isn't. Both of them know it.

"Hyung, doesn't he deserve an explanation?"

"To get his heart broken even more?"

"Maybe-" Taehyung pauses, stares "maybe she had a reason."

Yoongi shakes his head in annoyance, looking away "To leave him with an abusive father?"

"He wasn't abusive before she left," Taehyung says "that's what you told me."

"Yea but-"

"But what?" Taehyung interrupts.

The argument is put to an end by quiet steps and a thick, tired voice belonging to Jungkook. "What's wrong?" he stands at the door, staring at the two.

Taehyung's heart aches seeing the boy. Jungkook's eyes are slightly swollen, he looks restless, like he's on the verge of collapsing.

"It's barely been 3 hours," Taehyung mumbles, standing up and walking up to him. "why are you up?"

Jungkook's pupils dilate and constrict, vision going black for a moment. Taehyung can tell just by how Jungkook's gaze doesn't focus on anything.

Taehyung grabs his hands, making sure the boy doesn't loose balance.

Vision back in focus, Jungkook finally looks at Taehyung. 

'no secrets' it hangs in the air. The promise.

It's Jungkook's expression and aura that make Yoongi stand up and rethink his choices. Whats right and wrong. He pulls his wallet out, chews on his lip and takes three rectangular pieces of paper out of one pocket.

Yoongi hesitantly walks up to the two "You can take one," he says, holding out the three plane tickets. "but you don't have to."

Jungkook looks down, takes one ticket. He glances at Taehyung and back down, reads over it.

"You got her," he mumbles, eyes stuck to the ticket. "she- what happens to her now?"

Yoongi plays with the wallet between his hands, "That depends," he says. "on what her explanation is."

Jungkook looks up. "You think she'll tell the truth?" his tone is almost ridiculing Yoongi. "After four years of hiding and bull?"

"Are you going or not?" Yoongi stares.

Jungkook stares at the tickets in Yoongi's hand "I-" he mumbles, stopping himself, thinking. "I am." he grabs one, stepping back, leaving to his room.

Taehyung shakes his head, dropping back down on the couch.
Yoongi sighs, sits beside him. "He can be so reckless sometimes."

Taehyung can only stare at the door where the boy stood, wondering if this is the right thing to do.