Chapter 10.

By my Side

A week.

A week of steps back and it feels as if they hit the very bottom, the beginning. And it happened far too fast.

Jungkook has been out of the house for the last few days. Taehyung too concentrated on work and papers to fill after the issue with Jungkook's father -who's life is still in debate on-

"I'll be out with Yoongi-hyung." Jungkook would say, gaining a simple nod from Taehyung and a "Mind yourself." Or occasional "Have fun." As he flipped the paper, glanced at the laptop.

It has been like that for the past week: few words and on with the day.

Sure, Jungkook managed to catch up with Yoongi, managed to get closer once again. But Taehyung has been drifting away, and it's both Taehyung's and Jungkook's fault.

The older too occupied with work -work he was ment to be done with a long time ago- and Jungkook who didn't even try speaking to Taehyung about his worries, about his and his father's conversation. He kept it to himself, hoping it will go away. Just like he used to do it when his father was still around. He should speak to Taehyung about it obviously, but he's scared. 

And both of them are equally at fault.

It's a Monday night that Jungkook hasn't came back on time. He said he'll be back by 5. It's almost 7. And Taehyung, who finally looked away from his papers for a moment, noticed how late it has gotten, instantly calling the boy.

Jungkook hasn't picked up, even after 7 tries.

Tapping his pen in worry, Taehyung is about to dial Yoongi's number when he hears the door open. Soon Jungkook walks into the kitchen.

"Sorry," the boy instantly mumbles, he goes to grab a bottle of water from the fridge, passing the kitchen table where Taehyung is sitting at. "I didn't realize how fast the time passed"

Taehyung nods,his eyes on the computer in front of him on the table. "I called you over five times."

"The battery died." Jungkook explains.

He feels weird, the tension between them, it's odd and unwanted, but its been like that for a while now.

"You okay?" He looks at Taehyung, the older has that blank expression on. He nods.
But Jungkook can see the way he taps his finger against one of the keys, not hard enough to press it, he sees Taehyung isn't focused on the work although he's staring at the laptop.

"Jungkook, what were you doing out so long?"

The question is more accusing than anything else. It sounds out of place, Taehyung's tone was never like this towards Jungkook.

The boy closes the fridge and turns to Taehyung. "We went for coffee, and then just walked around town, talking" he explains.

Taehyung closes his laptop, arms resting on top of it and he looks at the boy standing at the counter. "What about all those other days? You've been spending an awful lot of time with Yoongi, all you did was talk?"

Jungkooks brows furrow slightly, because Taehyung doesn't sound genuinely curious, he sounds right out pissed off.

"Yes that's what we did, talk"

"Nothing else?"

"What else were we supposed to do?" 

Taehyung just stares at the boy, searching his eyes.
Jungkook breaks the silence by harshly placing down the bottle, an empty half smile of disbelief on his face "You think I'm cheating on you?"

Taehyung's eyes follow the boys movement "I don't know, are you?" And it's sarcastic, teasing.

The younger is speechless.

"You're spending more time with him than anyone else lately,"

"Yeah," Jungkook says "Because I want to get my friend back, because I haven't genuinely talked to him since I was 17" he explains "I can't believe you think I would cheat on you!"

"Jungkook I don't know what you're doing when I'm not around, we've been apart for a whole year, you moved to busan with someone-"

"Mark?" Jungkook asks "You know, he was there for me when I thought I lost you, he stopped me from doing anything stupid, when I wanted to give up!" He exclaims "All while you were here!" He spreads his arms emphasizing the last word. 

"Do you love me?" Jungkook asks, not letting the elder speak.

"Or maybe I was just a way for you to get to my father..."

And it hits Taehyung hard, he immediately stands up "Jun-"

"You always had a reason to kill him, 'why not as well just use the kid and fake my own death after it's all over', right?"

"Don't say that-"

"But then it came out my father is still alive, so I'm useful again," He says, voice breaking "right?!"

"Jungkook you know that's not true," Taehyung growls, he steps closer to the boy but Jungkook takes a larger step back.

"You got the folder" he says "my father is basically out of the way and you're back with that dumb ing job of yours," he points at the laptop "One of the reasons I spent so much time with Yoongi was because you didn't have any to spend with me, because you've work"

"Even though you promised you wouldn't go back to it," He reminds lowly "you knew how much I hated it, because I stupidly worries too much"

Taehyung feels each words stab him like a knife, because he didn't mean what he started. He never once suspected Jungkook of cheating but he let his frustration out on the younger as if it was supposed to help. 
And each word he hears is like poison.

'Does he really think I used him?'

Jungkook scoffs when the other stays silent "How were you planning on getting rid of me now? Another faked death, maybe you'd change your name this time?"

"Jungkook stop!"

The boy almost flinches, "What, hurts that I got you figured out, officer?" It's poisonous.

And Taehyung reached his hand out but it's already too late, because Jungkook is out of the apartment, door slamming, before he could say a word.

They hit rock bottom.

 


Taehyungs cursing, flipping the first object he could grab, it being the papers he was filling in. The sheets flying around the kitchen.

He tried calling Jungkook but it once again ended up unanswered on each try. So he ended up calling Yoongi.

"No he's not with us, why?" 

Taehyung sighs, angered at himself "He left almost an hour ago and isn't back,"

"Why did he leave in the first place?" He sounds worried.

"We had an argument," Taehyung explains, putting his shoes on "It was my stupid mistake."

"What did you do so bad that it made him leave?"

"I was tired of work and he came back late and I said something I shouldn't have, didn't even mean it."

"Taehyung." Yoongi's voice is a low warning.

Taehyung doesn't bother with a coat, he just grabs his keys and leaves the apartment with a quick step.

"He's been out everyday," he mumbles "With you. I was forced to finish some papers for Choi, didn't even have time to talk to him after he spoke with his father" Taehyung explains, feeling guiltier with each word "He asked if I really love him, or did I use him to get his father."

Taehyung hears Yoongi sigh "He didn't mean it, believe me, the last thing that boy wants is an argument with you."

"I've to go hyung."

 


Taehyung didn't have to think much before guessing where the boy is.

And he knew he was right when he walked down the parks footpath. A figure, curled into itself, sitting at the edge of land, staring down at the water.

The place it too familiar, the exact spot they sat together when Jungkook agreed to go on a walk.

He's walking down the same path leading to the gate where Jungkook last seen Taehyung before the car crash.

The bridge on which they reunited and started again, at the reach of a hand.


And they're back here again.