Chapter 8.

By my Side

Taehyung glances at the boy beside him, walking silently down the beach with a small smile playing at his lips, looking far into the distance of the sea.

He looks dream like, the last of sunlight outlining his silhouette, eye's sparkling, lost in thought. It's mesmerizing.

Taehyung slows down, pulling his phone out and it seems Jungkook doesn't realize.
He opens the camera and stands still, Jungkook a few meters away, turning around when he feels the others presence disappear.

Snapping a picture he smiles, Jungkook's lost expression turns into a shy smile. He puts his hand up, covering his face from the phone's camera. "Put the weapon down Kim."
His tone unexpectedly dangerous yet sweet, and both males are quite surprised with how it sounded.

Taehyung laughs, lowering his own voice "Put your hand down first Jeon." And it too sounds sweetly dangerous.

Jungkook shakes his head at the silliness of this situation, he turns back around and starts walking. Snapping one more picture Taehyung jogs up to him, continuing their silent walk.

"Y'know, sometimes I wonder," the older starts, his gaze set forward.

"Hm?"

"How is it possible you're this beautiful."

Jungkook blinks once, twice, tearing his gaze away from the horizon he looks at Taehyung, taken aback "Where did that come from?" He lifts a brow, voice casual yet his cheeks are the color of the evening clouds, pink, because being called Beautiful is the last thing he expected.

Taehyung chuckles, his voice deep, low and thick with affection "From my heart." It's cheesy, and Jungkook wants to roll his eyes but he just looks back at the setting sun instead. Because it's nice, his words are nice.

"I never said it before," Taehyung says, taking Jungkook's hand in his and stopping the boy, standing in front of him. "How beautiful I find you."

Jungkook looks up at him, the olders love filled eyes melting Jungkook from the inside. Taehyung brings his hand up to the boy's face, lining his jawline and rubbing his tumb over the boys cheek.

"Your dark, doe eyes,"he murmurs "Cute nose, bunny smile." 

Jungkook can't help but drop his head, staring down because he actually feels shy under the others gaze. Taehyung's arms snake around Jungkook's torso, holding him closer.
"So pretty, baby." 
And Jungkook doesn't know whether it's the name or the way it rolls off his tongue that makes his heart stop and start again. Its odd, so odd, he hasn't felt like this before, but it's nice.

"I feel honored," Jungkook gets himself to look up, wrapping his arms around Taehyungs neck "Being complimented by someone as handsome as you." Two can play at this cheesy game.

The older gently chuckles through his nose "Me, handsome?" He asks, as if it's something impossible and unbelievable.

Jungkook nuzzles his face in the male's chest "Breathtaking," He whispers "Absolutely heart stopping."

 

 

 

"Got everything?" Taehyung asks, glancing at Jungkook. The boy only nods, pulling the suitcase behind him.

They got a plane to China in two hours, Yoongi agreed to drive them to the airport. They're flying over today, any business is to be taken care of tomorrow and they will come back the night after, so instead of taking two small suitcases they got one medium one. 

Taehyung takes the suitcase from Jungkook, he can see how uneasy the boy looks so he takes his hand in his own free one "Everything will be fine." He reassures, smiling.

The trip to the airport wasn't too long, the two said their byes to Yoongi, the older wished them luck and so they parted ways. 
Time passed fast, almost too fast for Jungkook, because before he knew it, they were walking down the Hong Kong airport.

"Good evening, Gentlemen." Choi bows when the two males walk up to him, both bow back.

They were invited to dinner, Jungkook naturally said he'd prefer not to but told Taehyung that he should go, the older won't of course, he doesn't want to leave Jungkook alone in a hotel room. So Taehyung called Choi saying they'll pass, the elder decided he'll greet them at the airport then.

"Mr. Jeon, I owe you an apology," the man says when they leave the large building, breath like smoke outside in the cold of the approaching night. He stops, looking at Jungkook "The plan to keep Taehyung alive in secret was only for both your and his good, I hope you understand," he says "It must have been hard, but please know that Taehyung had no choice, we couldn't let him contact you. Please accept my apology."

"I understand," Jungkook says "No need to apologize if it was for the best." And its how for the shortest moment the mature side of Jungkook showed again, the way his voice lowered and how he spoke. It's this that made Taehyung's heart hurt a bit. Because it only shows that the pain Jungkook went through will stay with him, just pushed back to the back of his mind.

Its not even about Jungkook speaking formally, it's how monotone his voice sounded, and Taehyung hasn't heard that tone since Jungkook's father was told dead.

 

 

 

"Sometimes," Taehyung starts, closing the door when they walk into their hotel room "I can read you like a book, others I can't even figure out your words."

Jungkook drops his worn out body on the king sized bed, exhausted "Is that good or bad?" He mumbles.

Taehyung chuckles, leaving his suitcase beside the small wooden and glass table in the corner. "It makes me anxious," he says, sitting down on the bed beside Jungkook's splayed out body "not knowing what you're thinking."

The boy turns onto his side so he can look at Taehyung "You don't need to worry." He murmurs.

The older gently smiles at him "Tired?"

Jungkook hums, "I don't even know, tired, stressed, scared... A bit of everything."
Taehyung lays down beside him, face just a few centimeters away. "Then get changed and go to sleep." 

Jungkook doesn't answer, instead he stays on the bed, simply staring back at Taehyung and he lets a tired smile slip on. Like always, Taehyung manages to make all the bad feelings disappear.
The boy leans in closer, tenderly kissing the older. They don't pull away but neither bother to deepen the kiss, it's just a play of lips.

Without breaking the kiss, Jungkook lifts himself up a bit before straddling Taehyung. But the kiss is still as gentle as ever. Taehyung brings his hands down Jungkook's body, leaving them resting on his hips. Taehyung's tongue brushes the boy's lips before he pulls away "Lets go to sleep." He breaths. Jungkook hums in agreement, laying back down beside Taehyung.

 

 

 

The next day Taehyung could feel Jungkook's fear, the boy didn't show it or speak of it, but Taehyung knew he was scared.

And it stayed there for most of it: for when they walked into the large building, when they were greeted by a tall man in a black suit and a case in his hand, when they were walked to an office, when Taehyung handed the folder and when Jungkook had to give any other information about his father.

And the fear is still here when they're standing in the luxurious looking hall after everything was talked over, one of the more important men looking at Jungkook and saying something the boy was not ready to hear.


"There's a large chance Jeon Kangdae won't be let free," he said 

"Before the choice is made, would you like to speak to your father?"