Chapter 7.

By my Side

Taehyung glances at the empty seat in front of him as he rests back in his own, holding his phone up to his ear. His gaze turning to the passing trees out the window as the train moves.
Jungkook left to the rest room and Taehyung deciced it would be a good idea to call and inform Yoongi on what's happening.

Two signals pass when the older finally answers.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Yoongi uhm. . . so I'm on a train to Busan-"

"You're what?!"

Taehyung flinches "Listen, I told Jungkook about his father"

"Oh, that's good. . ." he hears a pause, Yoongi is hesitating "Is he okay?"

"Yea- no? . . . I mean, it could have been worse, almost was"

"Did he run away? Why are you going to Busan?"

"No, no he didn't. I explained the situation to him" he says "Jungkook said he might have a folder that could be used against his father, apparently he liked playing hitman"

"Aha okay. . . hey um, I'm kinda busy, I'll call you back later." Yoongi explains "Take care of him- Jungkook, yeah?"

"Of course, bye hyung" Taehyung puts his phone down just when Jungkook sits back down on the seat across from him. 

The boy has kept as silent as ever since they got to the station. He hasn't smiled much either. Just followed Taehyung around like a child.
"What's wrong?" He feels bad for not asking earlier.

The boy looks up from his phone "Hm?" 

"You look troubled"

Jungkook shakes his head, smiling at Taehyung "I'm okay" he says before looking back down at his phone.

'Lies'

"Hey," Taehyung calls, slightly leaning over the table between them and gently pushing Jungkook's hands down so he puts the phone away. "Come here," he pats the seat beside him.
Jungkook looks hesitant, glancing at the empty space. He finally gives in, placing his phone on the table before standing up and walking over to his boyfriend, sitting down beside him.

"What's the matter?" Taehyung intertwines his fingers with Jungkook's. The boy sighs, resting his head on Taehyung's shoulder.

"What if Mark threw the boxes away?" His voice is just above a whisper "What if the folder isn't even in there?"
Taehyung turns a bit, leaving a kiss on the boy's fluffy hair "We'll figure something out, maybe just what you tell them will be enough to put your father in place"

"Maybe."

"Jungkook think positively."

The boy slumps in his seat, staring at their hands.

"I called Yoongi," Taehyung says, changing the topic "Explained what we're doing."

"He knew about my father?"

Taehyung makes a "Mhm" sound.

"Of course he did." Jungkook mumbles.

"He was nagging me to tell you" the older admits "But he sounded worried about you when I told him you found out"
Jungkook doesn't say anything.

"Jungkook?"

"Hm?"

"You never told me about you and Yoongi."
Taehyung can feel Jungkook tense up slightly, yet the boy's tone is calm when he speaks "What is there to tell?"

Taehyung slightly shrugs, careful because Jungkook's head is still on his shoulder "You dated him, right? That's something to tell"

Jungkook stays quiet for a moment longer, not sure of many things right now. "You'd expect me to tell a police officer I was in an illegal relationship?"

"I mean," Taehyung starts "I'm not any better now am I." He laughs quietly.
Jungkook uses their connected hands to hit Taehyung's thigh, it doesn't hurt but it's a way of telling Taehyung to shut up. 
"Yea, but I'm 20 now, not 16" he says "And Yoongi hyung is older than me by 8 years not 6"

"He said you act as if there was no relationship between you. . . so he just goes along with it"

Jungkook sighs, thinking, hesitating "Hyung was-. . ." he mumbles "Is a very important person to me still, he's been there for me when I had no one, and it made my 16 year old mind go 'I'm in love'"

"Were you in love?"

Jungkook slightly smiles "Others would say it was a childish crush, but I really was in love. . . but you know, first love, it wasn't ment to work" he says "Deep down both of us knew it wasn't going to work"

"Why do you pretend like it never happened?" Taehyung asks, mindlessly.

"How does acknowledging it look like?" Jungkook asks "He has Jimin, I have you, I think it's best if me and Yoongi are left in the past"
Taehyung nods in understanding. 

"I do wish I would have pushed that to the past without pushing away our friendship though" Jungkook says "I'd prefer if we still had that friendship... he was like an older brother to me"

Taehyung squeezes the boy's hand "You should find some time to talk to him, I'm sure you can still get your brother back" he smiles.

Jungkook giggles "I'll try"

This time Jungkook squeezes the other's hand "Tae?"

"Hm?"

"I love you." a whisper of reassurance, to make sure Taehyung still remembers, to make sure he knows that Jungkook loves only him.

The older smiles "I love you too."


 


The moment they step off the train Jungkook feels a small smile form on his lips, the slightly colder breeze in Busan, the air itself makes him feel more free. Something about Seoul; busy streets, shops packed, groups of hundreds of people wherever you go, it makes it feel stuffy.

He finds this nice, calming almost.

"We're in...?"

"Haeunde-district" Jungkook says, "We should go take a taxi"

Taehyung nods as they start making their way out of the train station.
"Is your college far?" The older asks out of plain curiosity "As in from your apartment?"

Jungkook shrugs "Kind of? It's in Yeonje-distric, but it's the closest college around"

Taehyung nods, "Was there nothing to rent around?"

At that Jungkook laughs "Actually there was plenty, I lived a street away from the college at first," he says "Me and Mark were neighbors, our doors were right across from each other." He explains "We became friends really quickly, slept at each others houses more than our own, and finally decided to move in together because it's cheaper"

The older lifts a brow at Jungkook "But why move further away?"

Jungkook smiles at how silly it must seem "Because we wanted to live by the beach"

Taehyung chuckles, shaking his head and taking Jungkook's hand in his as they reach the line of taxies.


 


"We could have taken the lift" Jungkook breaths in exhaustion, reaching the sixth floor on which he lives. Maybe he's slightly over doing the whole 'I'm tired' act, just slightly, just maybe.

Taehyung laughs, looking perfectly fine "Don't act as if you don't exercise" he looks the boy up and down before walking past him with a small pat on Jungkook's belly. "Seen those abs" 

Jungkook rolls his eyes, following the older. A small dust of pink covering his cheeks.

"This way," Jungkook says, gently taking Taehyung's wrist in his hand and pulling him. They stop at a light grey door. Jungkook doesn't quite know what to do, he could of course take his own key card and simply walk in, but if Mark is home it could give him a heart attack. Or he could have Jackson over. . . and Jungkook doesn't want to walk in on the two -again.

So he opts on knocking.
And just when the sound of the doors being unlocked is heard, Jungkook remembers that he might have forgotten to text Mark about one little thing. And maybe mention to Taehyung that Mark knows quite a lot.

The doors open and the two are met with a pastel pink haired boy in nothing but grey sweat pants and a pack of Doritos in hand. His expression turns into confusion and surprise and he isn't sure whether to hide himself behind the door -because 'I'm half , who is that person beside Kook?'- or to hug his friend.

He bows slightly to the stranger to not come off as completely rude before turning to Jungkook. "Why are you- it hasn't even been four days" he half laughs.

"Yeah," Jungkook runs a hand through his hair, smiling sheepishly "Uhm so this is. . ." he looks at Taehyung, "My boyfriend, Taehyung"

"Mark Tuan-" Mark bows again, but his expression falls in realization.
He turns to Jungkook as if the boy is crazy. Silently asking the question of 'what the ?'

Jungkook once again smiles sheepishly at his friend's expression "No I'm not crazy," he says "This is Taehyung, alive, and well"

"So you went to Seoul and managed to bring someone back to life?" The boy opens the door fully for the two to walk in.

Taehyung catches on: Mark must know about what happened.

Jungkook nods "My father isn't dead either" he adds, pressing his lips together.
Mark's brows furrow "What?"

"He's in prison, China" Jungkook says "Please tell me you didn't throw the boxes from the spare room away."

"Uh, not yet, why?" The other mutters "And what's happening?"

Taehyung could see the slight relief on Jungkook's face "I'll explain later. . . for once your laziness helped" 

Mark rolls his eyes "I just wasn't home for the past few days"
"Of course," Jungkook comments, walking towards the spare room with Taehyung "You were out ing Jackson."

Mark laughs, walking towards his own room "I'd argue but I can't"


The moment Jungkook walks into the room he stops to stare at the six or seven boxes. 'which one was it?'
As if reading the boys mind, Taehyung smiles at him "Let's go through them and see."

Taehyung turns to the boy when he hears him sigh, curious of if it's relief or anger. Theve spent a good amount of time sat in this room, looking through boxes. They did find a few other useful things that could help the case against his father.

"It's here."

And now the younger really looks relieved. He pulls the green folder out, sitting beside Taehyung before handing it to him. "Do you think this will do?"

Taehyung opens the folder, passing through pages, reading a few notes scribbled down beside some of the pictures. He slightly smiles "It's perfect" he says. "But, it would be good if you told them a few things too, maybe write it in a letter" he adds "but only if you're comfortable enough. You don't have to."
Jungkook smiles and nods "I will, it's okay."

It's silent for a moment longer, the two just calming down, glad they got a hold of the folder.

"I'll go with you," Jungkook says "to China."
Taehyung looks up, slight surprise showing"You don't have to-"
"I want to" the boy says, standing up. The older smiles and gives a nod.

"Now," Taehyung says, standing up "How about we explain the situation to Mark, and then go for a small walk by thr beach like in cliché movies?"

Jungkook laughs but he nods, bringing himself to his feet "That would be nice"

 

 

 

 

Figuring out the districts and locations for Busan just to make myself feel professional was harder than Taehyung is for Jungkoo-imeanwhat