Chapter 22.

By my Side

"Jungkook?!" Taehyung rushes over to the boys side, dropping to his knees beside him. "Baby, hey!" he cups the boy's face, panic pulsing through his veins. When Jungkook doesn't react he grabs his phone, about to call for help.

"I'm fine, just-" Jungkook blindly brings his hand up, trying to take hold of Taehyung's. He forces his eyes open, just to be met with another pair of eyes, filled with bitter panic. It's the same look Jungkook last seen when his father captured them.

Taehyung lets out a shaky breath, dropping his head on Jungkook's chest.

Jungkook gathers all his strength and sits up, pulling Taehyung into a hug. That's when he feel his heartbeat, a rapid thum thum thum thum against his chest, as if Taehyung's heart is trying to rip through.

"I'm fine," Jungkook whispers. He feels the urge to reassure the elder.

There's a quiet sigh from Taehyung, Jungkook would guess it's relief, but it's shaky.

"Tae-"

"C'mon," Taehyung mumbles, standing up "You need sleep. A lot of it."

Jungkook lets himself be helped up, feeling unexpectedly dizzy. Taehyung sits him on the bed, helping him with his clothes.

"Woah," Jungkook laughs when Taehyung s his jeans. He'd say he can do it himself, but right now he isn't even sure.

Taehyung rolls his eyes, but he leans in closer, kissing the boy's lips and pulling his zipper down. "I'm gonna shower," he mumbles, pulling the boy's jeans down "and when I'm back, you better be asleep."

Jungkook only smiles against his lips.

Taehyungs out of the shower in just over 15 minutes, taking a bit longer, perhaps to put his mind back together. Jungkook, of course, isn't asleep.

"You look... nice."

Taehyung looks towards the bed. He's got nothing on but a hotel towel around his waist, and he'd be well amused at the boy's comment, if not the fact Jungkook out 20 minutes ago and should be sleeping. He raises a brow. "What did I say?"

"I should be asleep when you get out?"

"So you did hear me."

Jungkook smiles lightly. He's visibly tired, eyes heavy. "But you always look so pretty after a shower..."

"You mean ?"

"That too."

Taehyung laughs, shaking his head and walking up to his suitcase to grab some pants to sleep in.

Jungkook's eyes may be on the verge of closing shut, but he can't help but explore the elders back. Taehyung's always had a nice skin tone, a light golden tan.

Taehyung faces away from Jungkook completely before dropping the towel to the floor. The younger can feel his face heat up, as if he hasn't seen Taehyung before

"You're doing this on purpose," Jungkook pouts, watching Taehyung dress as if nothing.

"Payback for you disobeying me," Taehyung turns to Jungkook once he's dressed.

"There's another way you can punish-"

"Kook," Taehyung warns.

Jungkook laughs.

With a sigh and a gentle smile, Taehyung makes his way to the bed. "You're unbelievable sometimes," he crawls in beside Jungkook, pulling the covers over them.

Jungkooks eyes are closed but he's grinning at his boyfriend. Taehyung can't help but place a small kiss on the top of his nose before pulling him closer, wrappings his arms around Jungkook, around his whole world.

And Jungkooks asleep in seconds.

Because Taehyung might not know it, but Jungkook doesn't think he'd be able to fall asleep without him.

 

 


 

Morning comes with a silver sky and raindrops tapping against their window.

Jungkook opens his eyes to the gloomy light, yet he's met with a cosy warmth. Taehyungs still beside him.

" 'morning," the elder mumbles. "Sleep well?"

Jungkook smiles. Taehyung thinks it's the most beautiful look on him, especially first thing in the morning.

"I did," the boy murmurs, his voice a bit rougher than usually "what time is it?"

"Almost eleven,"

"And you, mister early bird, didn't get up?"

Taehyung chuckles. "I did, but it's cold and you're really warm so I decided to lay with you for a bit."

Jungkook just smiles and closes his eyes again.

They stay silent for a bit longer before there's a knock on the door.

Taehyung sits up, pulling the covers over Jungkook. "I'll get it,"

Jungkook peaks one eye open, noticing that Taehyung seems to have put on sweatpants earlier on, still wearing the large white top he slept in. The boy feels a little considering he slept in nothing but boxer briefs. A little and a little cold. He hugs the covers once Taehyung gets to the door.

The elder is met with a familiar pair of dark doe eyes.

"Good morning," Ara greets, perhaps a bit sheepishly. "I hope I didn't wake you up, I know you had a rough day yesterday,"

Although Jungkook can't see his mother due to a wall, he can still hear it's her. Suddenly the boy feels he should be wearing a bit more clothing, so he scrambles up quietly, grabbing a black pair of pants and pulling them on.

"Ah, no no, I've been up for a while," Taehyung gives a smile, letting her in "Jungkook just woke up actually,"

As if on que, they walk further into the room where Jungkooks stood, shirtless, buttoning his pants.
He manages a quiet 'good morning'

It's weird. Not that he's shirtless.

It's weird because this is his mother.

Because the woman is well an alive.

Because Jungkook was so close to being perfectly fine without her, and now she is right here. He could feel his throat contract slightly.

She smiles and turns to Taehyung. "Would you mind if I stole Jungkook for breakfast?"

Taehyung smiles politely. "Not at all."

"If you want, of course," She turns to her son "I understand if you don't feel-"

"I'll go," he says.

She looks a bit relieved, as if she was expecting him to decline. "I'll be waiting in the lobby then,"

Jungkook seen her eye's jump around his chest, from scar to scar, it was brief but she didn't need more to have guild almost overpower her. Jungkook did not want her to feel guilty.

"Jungkook?"

Taehyung's soft voice pulled him back to reality. His mother was already out of the room. He shook his head, going to grab a shirt.

He was ready in three minutes, stressed for some reason too.

"Kook you look as if you're going to meet with the Senate or something, calm down and open the-"

Jungkook shoots his boyfriend a half hearted glare.

Taehyung huffs a laugh. He's sat on the bed, staring at Jungkook who's been gazinf at the door for a good minute now, afraid to open it.

The elder sighs, getting up and walking towards the boy before pulling him by his waist, chest to chest. "She's your mother, stop stressing."

Jungkook just stares.

"Want me to walk you downstairs?"

"No, kiss me."

Taehyung laughs, taken back a bit. "You really are something," and he does kiss him. Pressing his lips against the boy's and going just a bit further.

Jungkook sighs against his lips, as if this was some stress relief thing. Maybe it is.

"Now go," Taehyung murmurs. "And don't forget the umbrella."

Jungkook pecks his lips one last time.

 

 


 

Ara lead the way, the walk was silent expect a few comments here and there, something about the poor weather and how quiet the streets were. Basic, awkward talk.

It's normal though, Jungkook thought, because where in the world are they supposed to start? A 'how are you? What have you been up to?' Taking their circumstances into consideration, that's not the best way to start. It's almost too touchy.

So there was no real talk until they walked into a cafe, sat and ordered some breakfast. Now there was no avoiding a conversation.

"Are you still friends with Jimin?" Ara asks softly. Perhaps a nice start.

Jungkook looks up from his coffee, "Ah, yeah," he smiles "as close as ever."

His mother nods with a gentle smile matching her son's. "How's he doing?"

"He's doing good, slowly building a life for himself," Jungkook says "still acts five sometimes, but that's just Jimin."

She laughs gently "Ah that's good to hear," she takes a sip of her coffee. "And Yoongi, you and him...?"

"Oh," Jungkook looks back down, laughing lightly "no, he's with Jimin actually, more like a brother to me," he stares at his fingers around the cup before mumbling "and I'm..."

"With Taehyung?" She asks, uncertain.

Jungkook looks up, giving a nod.

She smiles again. "Just making sure." She seems okay with it, Jungkook thinks. He hopes she is. "Do you still live in Seoul?"

A lady walks up to their table, holding two plates of pancakes. Jungkook remembers making them with his mom when he was younger, they made them every Monday and Friday.

Jungkook bows slightly and mumbles a gentle 'thank you' in Mandarin.

He stares down at his plate "I'm staying with Taehyung in Seoul for the summer, but I live with a friend in Busan for college, I'll be moving soon,"

His mother smiles up at him, her eyes brightening. "You went to college?" It's almost awe in her voice.

He smiles, giving a nod. "I'm doing photography," he says.

Ara nods. She looks, proud? "That makes me so happy, you're doing something you like," her eyes stay on him "you said you're moving, why is that?"

Jungkook hesitates "I'll be moving in with Taehyung.." He mumbles, cutting down into his food.

Ara is still smiling, though there's worry in her eyes. "Did your dad introduce you to Taehyung?" She asks, cautious and low.

"No... I-" he pauses. "I met him, by an accident... For a good while I didn't even know who he was,"

"Did he tell you everything about himself?" She questions. "Don't get me wrong, Jungkook, but he's been through a lot and he was just a child,"

Jungkooks gaze turns more solid at his mother's tone. "Do you mean did he tell me about his father? About what he made Taehyung do?" He asks "He had no choice,"

She sighs, smile faltering "I know, Jungkook, it's not on him, but the mentality he must have after it," she speaks quietly "he could be dangerous-"

"Dangerous?" Jungkook sits up, smiles in disbelief "He's the one who kept me from danger, mom, I wouldn't be here if not him,"

"I just want you to be safe,"

"Yeah, well," He stares right at his mother, though once he meets her gaze, his own softens. "He's the only person I feel safe around," It's quiet and its soft. "He's done everything just to make sure I'm safe."

Ara's posture sinks, that gentle smile comes back.

It's silent for another little while. They just sit and enjoy their food.

"Jungkook, there's something I should tell you," she says, placing her fork down as she stares at it "it should answer at least a few of the questions you must have,"

Jungkook looks up, he says nothing, just listens.

"Your fathers family goes way back, with all this illegal activity." She keeps her voice down "And men were always considered... Superior. So there was a rule," her expression falls, something resembling pain shows. "The first born son takes his fathers responsibilities. No way around it," She then adds "and so if the mother tried to step in and stop it," Ara looks up "the father was obliged to kill her,"

Jungkook stares. "You tried preventing it," he mumbles.

She nods, "I loved your father, I know he loved me too, but I couldn't let you do this, you were so..." She smile sadly with a sigh "so I packed our bags once he left for a business trip and we left for Jeju. It took him two days to get us,"

"He didn't kill you,"

"He let me off, ten years, he acted like nothing happened, but eventually people found out, it was a matter of time before the boss would get the word,"

Jungkook kept silent, his whole world spinning, trying to put the puzzle pieces together before his mother says more. It changes so much.

"Your father wasn't a monster until he decided to become one, he couldn't kill me so he made me hate him, he told me thay he took you with him on a mission instead of Jimin's, that you got hurt. He knew I'd run," her gaze falls "he planned it out so well," her voice is just above a whisper, her hands stiffly on her knees "I seen your corpse, a small body almost unrecognizable after a car accident. I got a call from the hospital, when I got there they said your father had seven broken bones, and I don't know how he managed it all, but he did."

Jungkook looks away, thinking, thinking, thinking.

"Taehyungs mother." He says, looking back at Ara in what might be realization. "She tried running away, didn't she?"

His mother gives him a sorrowful smile. "She almost did it, she was in New York, in a new apartment," she mumbles "but she had only one document and no visa, they got to her within a week, but her husband knew no mercy."

Jungkooks brows furrow as he stares down at his food, not hungry anymore. "Why didn't Taehyung tell me..."