Chapter 18.

By my Side

Hoseoks sat on the table, trying to take in the information.

Yoongi on the other hand is pacing around the room, infuriated, "There's a way to explain this, but it's-" he stutters, voice low. "She died, this makes no sense."

Taehyung has his elbows resting on the counter top, face in his hands "What am I supposed to tell Jungkook?" he breathes.

"Nothing, it's not her-"

"Yes it is," Taehyung bites "denying it won't help " he straightens up "out of all people you should know how serious it really is!"

Yoongi glares "You think I don't?" he asks "that womans death was the reason behind Jungkook's life turning upside down and now it turns out she's alive? in China, trying to get her husband out of ing jail?" he points at nothing in particular, a gesture of anger "after what he did to Jungkook?!"

It's the first time Taehyung sees Yoongi tearing up.

"So what am I supposed to do?" Taehyung shrugs, lost, he glares "not tell him his mother is alive?"

"Not now!"

"Then when?!" The younger raises his voice.

Yoongi opens his mouth but says nothing. Shutting up. Taehyung is right, god, he knows that. But he's so scared. He was by Jungkook's side when he lost his mother, walking trough hell with the boy, watching his smile fade, bruises form, joy of life completely disappear. He could have lost Jungkook any moment then.

But Taehyung changed him, brought his smile back, brought Jungkook back. Yoongi doesn't want to see the boy break apart again.

"Hey," Hoseok hops off the table, catching the two's attention "I don't want to trow myself into-" he bats his hands "this whole thing," he says "I wasn't there from the beginning, but, if I'm Jungkook's cousin and have what we need to help, maybe I should get a bit involved," he looks at the two "And arguing won't help here. Neither will hiding anything."

There's a moment of silence.

"He's right," Yoongi clears his throat, his lips.

Taehyung nods, hands on hips and he turns away "Yea." he sighs "but I'm not going to lie to Jungkook."

"Okay, yeah" Yoongi mumbles, agreeing hesitantly "but how will we tell him?"

"Tell me what?"

All three heads turn to the hallway where Jungkook is stood, a concerned look on his face, just like on Jimin's, who is standing behind him. The two boy's notice the teary expressions on Taehyung and Yoongi.

Jungkook knows something is up if Hoseok is over, with the tense atmosphere. "Is he getting out?" the boy refers to his father, trying not to sound worried.

"No," Taehyung breathes, walking over to Jungkook. "He's not, as far as we know." he tries taking his boyfriend's hand.

"Tell me what?" Jungkook insists, pulling his hand away. He steps back from Taehyung. "No more secrets, you promised you won't hide anything from me." he reminds, loud and clear for everyone to hear.

Jungkook's gaze switches to Yoongi who immediately wipes his sleeve over his eyes, turning away. Something is really wrong.

"I did," Taehyung admits. He steps back, letting the two walk in.

Taehyung glances at Hoseok, a gentle nod, a permission to tell the boy.

"My parents have been giving large amounts of money to my aunt during the last month," Hoseok starts lowly, even he feels worry. Maybe he hasn't experienced what they did during these two years, but he heard about it from them, and it sounds painful enough, imagining it is heart breaking. And now knowing Jungkook is family and that both of them are being betrayed by their parents?

"And?" Jungkook questions.

Hoseok glances at Taehyung before continuing "She moved to China around 4 years ago, illegally changing her name to Kim Mei, she's the one who wants your father free."

Jungkook shakes his head slightly, still confused, he looks at Taehyung before turning back to Hoseok. "Why your aunt?"

It's Yoongi who breaks the bull, walks up to the younger, grabbing the printed out images, maybe a bit too harshly, handing them to the boy. "That's Mei." he looks down.

Jimin walks up to Jungkook, looking at the papers whit him. And in an instant slapping a hand over his mouth, stepping back. "Oh my god," he whispers, staring at Yoongi who's debating on wrapping his arms around Jungkook when he sees the colour drain from his face.

Maybe it's how coldly familiar that face is, how the CCTV pictures hide nothing, maybe it's the fact that this is unmistakably, Jungkook's mother. It's this that makes him nauseous, sick, so confused.

Long, thick black hair, dark doe eyes, the woman barely changed.

Yoongi sees how the boy's hands shake the slightest and his brows knit, the exact same change of expression he had when he heard his mother is dead. It's so familiar, but there's more anger in his eyes.

Jungkook looks through the images a few more times, digging his nails into the sheets, he smiles, he frowns, he opens his mouth to speak but he's speechless.

And then he drops the printed images, watching the sheets drift back and forward to the floor like feathers.

Jungkook looks up, right at Yoongi. Those blank eyes piercing the older like they did those few years ago. Like they did when Yoongi stood in front of him in his room, crying with him, grabbing onto the young boy and holding him so close. Like when his mother "died".

So, so similar, but so different.

Yoongi knew what Jungkook was going to do, but before he could grab the boy, Jungkook already ran out of the apartment.

"Jungkook!"

Taehyung didn't spare any time, running out right after him "Jungkook!" He runs out into the hallway, pushing himself off of the door frame. His shoes make an ear piercing sound as he almost slides across the hall, catching up with the boy just at the stairs.

He grabs him at the last two steps and they both trip, stumble to the ground, Taehyung's arms wrapping around Jungkook protectively before both roll and crash into a wall.

Jungkook is trashing in his arms, trying to get up, crying "Let me go!" he pushes Taehyung away but to no avail.

"Taehyung I said let me ing go!"

The older does everything in his strength, holding him closer even though the boy struggles. "Jungkook, please sto-stop!" his grip falters.

Jungkook finally gets himself out, shoving Taehyung away and he stands up, breathing heavily, taking dizzy steps back.

Taehyung holds himself up on one elbow, lying on his back, holding his cheek with his other hand where Jungkook accidentally scratched him. His breathing is also uneven.

Jungkook's back hits the other wall and he slides down it, crying. "He told me she's dead!" he kicks the air, shaking his head. "Dad said-!"

"Jungkook," Taehyung sits up.

"I went to her ing funeral!"

Taehyung forces himself up, stumbling over to the boy, he tries reaching for him but Jungkook aggressively pushes him away "Dont!" he hastily stands up, turns around. The boy brings his right arm over his eyes, trying to wipe the tears, bites his lip to stop the cries.

Taehyung doesn't give up, he can't give up on him. He wraps his arms around Jungkook once again from the back, but holds tighter this time, even when Jungkook struggles.

"Taehyung-!"

"No!" Taehyung barks. "You're in shock, you're in pain and I know I can't do anything as of right now!" he drops to his knees, pulling Jungkook down with him "but I won't let you ing push me away," his voice weakens "not this time, not again."

And the boy goes limp in his arms, gives up, keeps crying. It shatters Taehyung's heart into millions of tiny pieces.

"She left me," Jungkook cries "She left me with him."

All Taehyung can do is hold him closer, tighter, and cry with him. 'what did this boy ever do to deserve all this pain?'

"Im so sorry, Jungkook."

 


 

It's dark by the time Yoongi manages to convince Jimin to go home. Even darker an hour later when it's just him and Taehyung sat in the living room. Facing eachother in silence.

 

It's the first time Taehyung has seen Yoongi so broken, his constant fire gone.


"When she... died," Yoongi mumbles "Jungkook changed, so much."

Taehyung looks up at Yoongi. The older is staring down at his hands.

"He became someone completely different," He clenches his fist, unclenches, letting a small, pained laugh out "And I don't know how you did it, but you brought him back."

"He's stubborn but," Yoongi smiles sadly, pained " but just, don't give up on him like I did back then," He looks up at Taehyung.

Taehyung shakes his head with a shaky breath, looks down at his own two hands. "I wouldn't be able to."

 


 

Taehyung slowly, quietly closes the doors behind Yoongi before resting his back against it with a sigh. Left alone in the dark, silent hallway of his apartment. His eyes dart to the bathroom door. Jungkook has been in the shower for over an hour now.

He knows Jungkook wants to be left alone. That's how the boy dealt with all of his problems; alone. But he has to at least check on him.

Taking quiet steps, Taehyung walks up to the door. He rests his forehead  against the cold wood, listens to the echo of water and lets out a shaky breath before knocking gently, once, twice.

A long seccond of silence before Taehyung hears a low, strained. "I'm okay."

He closes his eyes. Something in him hurting even more. "No you're not." he whispers. There's relief that the boy is alive, but Taehyung can't just let Jungkook drown himself in all this suffering. If the boy is suffering, Taehyung will suffer with him.

With a hesitant hand, he opens the bathrooms door, just slightly, just enough for Jungkook to hear his voice clearly. "Mind if I join you?" he watches the steam pour out through the narrow space between the door and it's frame.

He expects a 'not now' or 'I want to be alone'. A good ten secconds of silence pass and Taehyung is about to leave, let him be. He understands.

"I don't." comes a mumble. Takes Taehyung by surprise. The smallest smile stings at his lips. 

Jungkook who used to push Taehyung away when troubled, let's him in. Wants him close.

Taehyung walks in quietly, closing the door behind himself. He glances at Jungkook's blurry silhouette in the shower cabin. He has his arms against the tiled wall, head buried in them, just letting the water flush down his back.

Taehyung strips down, careful to make little sound, as if any sound could break them. He gently slides the shower cabin door open, stepping in behind the boy.

He let's the hot water wash down his cold body, glancing at the boy's back, painted with scars. All varying, not a pair that looks similar. Yet all tell the same, painful story.

Taehyung debates on it for a minute or two, but finally, gently grazes the tips of his fingers against one of the larger marks. Jungkook visibly tenses. Taehyung doesn't want to push his boundaries.

But then the boy relaxes and Taehyung rests his palm down, sliding it up to the boy's shoulder before mirroring the action with his other hand. He massages between his jutting shoulder blades, breathes quietly. Taehyung continues his actions, all gently, using some shower gel this time, smoothing his hand down to the small of the boys back and up again. 

Taehyung can feel the boy's body relax beneath his hands. He traces each scar, each line, admires how beautiful they are. It isn't what happened that makes the marks beautiful, it's the fact that it's over and that Jungkook survived it.

It's only few minutes later that Jungkook turns his head a bit to look back because Taehyung stopped moving his hands completely, just rubbing little circles with his tumbs.

Jungkook's eyes skip to the elders expression, Taehyung's gaze frozen on his own hands, as if lost in trance. Jungkook knows it isn't water dripping down Taehyung's face, but he's so still, crying but so, so still
Hoping Jungkook wouldn't notice his tears, Taehyung hangs his head, moving his hands again.

Taehyung's hands rest on Jungkook's ribs, snaking around and stop on his chest, he rests his forehead against the back of his neck, breathing quietly, shakily. 

Jungkook brings his arm down, placing one of his hands over Taehyung's, the black letters on his arm catch the boy's eye.

Hesitantly, the younger turns around, eyes swollen and red but he doesn't care. He cups Taehyung's face gently and presses their foreheads together, staring into Taehyung's eyes. The eyes that belong to someone he loves so dearly.

"I'm sorry," It's barely a whisper. He grazes his tumb over the vibrant, red scratch he left on Taehyung's cheek.
It was the last thing Taehyung expected, hell he thought Jungkook wouldn't even let him in.

But that's why you don't give up on anybody. No matter what.

The boy presses his lips against the mark. "I shouldn't have pushed you," he mumbles.

Taehyung shakes his head "Don't," he whispers. Don't be sorry. Don't feel guilty.

Jungkook takes hold of Taehyung's right hand with his left one, bringing both of them up, fingers intertwined. He turns the inside of his forearm out, looking at the inked words.

Taehyung smiles with him. Jungkook presses his lips against Taehyung's. It's relief that washes down his body, because Taehyung is still here, holding his hand. Because Taehyung didn't leave him.

 

 

----

Merry Christmas guy's! Hope you all have a lovely time!