Chapter 9.

By my Side

Managed an early update ayy~

Happy 4th of July rto my American readers!

My gift to you is a sprinkle of angst! <3

---

 

 

"Before the choice is made, would you like to speak to your father?"

Jungkook stops in his tracks, so does Taehyung. Both males turn to the agent.

"It's your choice mister Jeon."

Jungkook glances at Taehyung. The older looks back, he's not even trying to hide his fear, he shakes his head 'no'. Jungkook shouldn't, it could go so wrong in so many ways. What if he has a panic attack again? What if something worse.

"I want to speak with him."

Taehyung's heart drops to his stomach at the words. Jungkook doesn't even look at him, instead he just follows the agent. Taehyung has to stop himself from pulling the boy back. "Jungkook don't." He warns, voice low. Jungkook ignores him.

"Jungkook!" Taehyung calls, louder, angrier. But the boy is already gone down the hallway.

Jungkook doesn't feel anything. He should, but he doesn't. He should be scared, standing in front of the metal door to the interview room. He isn't. He doesn't even hesitate before opening it.

The room has four walls in a square, all white and no windows, an officer standing in each corner. There's a lamp stuck to the ceiling, giving the room a superficial pale glow.

A metal table in the center of the room, screwed to the floor just like the two chairs on each side of it.
A black haired figure sitting on one of the chairs, their back facing Jungkook.

And the boy forces himself to walk up closer, he walks around the table, sits on the chair, looks up.

He's met with his father's eye, one covered with a black patch and he instantly knows how his father lost it, how he lived.

Jungkook was sure he would never see this man again.

The male has that sick grin that Jungkook used to fear. And deep down he still does.

"I was convinced you wouldn't come." the man says, fingers tapping on the cold table, hands cuffed together. 

His father huffs when Jungkook stays silent, "Heard that bastard you befriended is still alive." He scoffs "Thought my people got rid of him. Thought I did too at first."

"Thought you were dead."

The other laughs, it's gravely and low and "Takes more than a bullet to destroy me," he says "You too Kook... Wouldn't you like to be dead."

Jungkook keeps silent.

"But you aren't, because you're my son, you're just like me-"

"You may be my father, but we're not alike," the younger cuts in "I've a heart, you don't."

His father laughs again, leaning in over the table, eye contact strong and he just gets closer, until they share the air between then "Nobody does Kook, people are heartless, thought I've thought you that." He whispers.

Jungkook is about to speak up when his father smirks, the boy immediately shuts up.

"Wasn't the man that killed your mother a good man, he seemed like it at first didn't he? Wasn't I a loving father before? Weren't you a good kid? But you still heartlessly pointed a gun up at me," his gaze is focused on Jungkook's lost eyes "Everyone will show a heartless side to them at one point, didn't Yoongi already?" Jungkook only glares, a warning, a silent 'shut the up'

"Won't be long till Kim does too."

"If not Taehyung, I-"

"If not him you'd be like me by now, I'd have you trained. You wouldn't be so ing scared of everything like some ." He growls, sitting back "Take one lesson from your father, and remember, no person really has a heart, you cannot trust people with everything. If I knew that earlier, your mother would still be with us," he argues "Everything I did to you was to teach you not to trust, but seems like you didn't learn."

"Didn't hit me hard enough, huh?" It comes like venom.

The other's rough laughter echoes around the room, something you'd hear in movies from a villain. The officers tense, all four of them looking at the pair sitting at the table.

"Kim Taehyung," the man starts. He can see Jungkook's aware eyes, he knows the boy is listening closely, cautiously. "Important to you." It's a statement. "Some hero who saved you and you'll be thankful till death, yeah? Gave you hope." he quirks his brow. "Don't get too close,"

"A bit too late."

The man huffs a laugh through his nose "I see." he mumbles "Jungkook, tell me, how much do you really know about him?"

Jungkook sits back, staring back at the man "You mean what happened to him?" He asks "How he was forced to kill, how his father was as bad as you?"

"His father was the devil himself. Forced to kill isn't even a half of it."
Jungkook gives a quirk of his eyebrow in question. 
All four officers glancing at each other in awareness.

"He was trained to be like his father, tortured, even. There's no good in that kid, he'll betray you just like he betrayed everyone else" He spits "How he betrayed his mother-" and the room turns silent, Jungkook making his father shut up by leaning over the table, pushing him back against the chair, squeezing his neck.

"He was forced."

"Doesn't make him any less guilty," the older chokes out "He was trained to be like his father for far too long, he'll mess with you too, maybe already did but you haven't even noticed-" Jungkook's hand presses harder onto the man's Adam's apple. He wants to hear none of it. 
The male forces a smirk back on in an invitation, a way to say 'do it.' 'kill me this time.'
"After-" he chokes out a cough "after all he went through, he's even more messed up than you or me." He croaks "He used you to get to me-"

Jungkook laughs, and the sound surprises Jungkook himself, how dangerous it sounded. "Why would I'd believe you?"

"I'm your father."

"Sure," Jungkook pulls away and scoffs, glaring "You're headed to hell."

The man grins, catching back his breath.

"See you there son."

 

 

 

Taehyung immediately stands up when the metal doors open. He stares at Jungkook who walks out with two officers behind him. 

The boy stops. He doesn't know why, but he does, exactly when his gaze crashes with Taehyung's. And he just stares, thinks. Maybe it's his father's echoing voice, maybe it's the fact that he doesn't feel as safe as he always did when looking at the older. 

He wants this feeling to disappear. He hates feeling so unsure, now even when he looks at the older, he's unsure. What if his father was saying the truth? What if Taehyung is something he doesn't know.

"Jungkook," Taehyung calls, voice low, worried. He starts walking towards the boy, he looks angry and scared "You shouldn't have-"

"It's okay," the younger reassures "I'm okay." He tries holding eye contact.

"Can we go?" He then mumbles.

Taehyung doesn't miss Jungkooks wary expression, the movement of his body, he sees all that and he does not like it one bit. Not how the boy moves the slightest bit away when Taehyung steps forward, not how he looked at Taehyung, scanning him.

"Yea..." He says, glancing Jungkook up and down before turning around, seeing the boy is keeping his distance "Everything is done, we can go." He doesn't try holding Jungkook's hand, the boy looks really cautious, he is standing at least a meter away, so he just starts walking, not wanting to make Jungkook uncomfortable.

 

After taking a step forward in everything, they just took two back in trust.