Chapter 6.

By my Side

Early update because I love you all and decided to spare the week long wait <3

​​​​​

 

He didn't die' it hangs in the air. Jungkook feels so many things, emotions he's not able to explain. One being confusion.
He doesn't accept it. Jungkook shakes his head but no words leave his mouth, as much as he trying to speak.

Taehyung squeezes his boyfriend's hand, worried, but he doesn't speak, he has to let it sink in.

"No," Jungkook finally says, or whispers. "He died, he got shot nobody would survive that" he mumbles. His eyes on Taehyung, brows furrowed but he doesn't look angry, he looks scared, he looks as if he wants Taehyung to say it's some sick joke.

"I know it's hard to believe, when I heard I didn't believe it either, but he's alive"

Jungkook looks back at the water, things he hasn't felt in over a year suddenly hitting him again and it hurts. "Do you know w-where he is?"

And it's the boys tone that makes Taehyung's heart sink to his stomach and shatter. It's the tone the boy spoke in when they we're still strangers to each other, when Taehyung was some nosy guy and Jungkook wanted to be left alone.

"Don't worry," He rubs his tumb in circles on the boys hand "He's in prison-" he pauses when Jungkook slips his hand out of his grip, pulling his knees up to his chest. And just like Jungkook's hand sliped out of his hand, the boy himself is also slipping out of Taehyung's reach, locking himself away again. It's exactly what Taehyung was afraid of.

"Taehyung he was in prison so many times." Jungkook says, staring at the water, he looks scared "He escaped so many times."

"Jungkook he has been sent to prison in China," Taehyung says, hoping it will reassure the boy somehow.
Jungkook looks at Taehyung, "Why in China?"
The older his lips, theres no other way of saying it. "Because death penalty is legal. And that's what he's facing there. . ."
Jungkook's gaze falls back to the water. He doesn't say anything. He isn't sure of how to feel either, is he supposed to be relieved? Sad?

"But?" Jungkook finally speaks up. There's always a 'but', there is always a problem in the way, he learned it the hard way. It's never that easy.

Taehyung's own gaze falls fo the pavement between him and Jungkook, the lights still iluminating the foot path but it's not as beautiful anymore, because Jungkook isn't smiling. His once bright eyes, dull.
"But someone is willing to give big money to free him"

Taehyung can see Jungkook's brows furrow again. "But, if it's death penalty it's not possible," he looks at Taehyung "Isn't it illegal?"

Taehyung sighs "When it comes to money, anything is legal." He explains "It's their rules, especially when the problem isn't theirs. If your father gets freed he'll come back to Korea, it's not China's problem."

Jungkook only looks more angered, he gets it though; If his father leaves, it has no effect on China, they couldn't care less as long as they have the money, and even if his father does go and cause chaos in China, they can lock him up again and this time make sure he receives his death penalty. And Kangdae isn't that stupid, he would know to keep away from that country. "What amount of money are we speaking of?" "Billions." 'and he's really close to getting freed' Taehyung won't say that, Jungkook is worried enough, and the boy is smart, he probably has that figured out already.

When Jungkook turns silent again, Taehyung speaks up "I've to go to a meeting. . . in China, in two days" he says. Jungkook doesn't say anything.
"You can come with me. You don't have to, but you can"

"I thought you finished your officer work" is the only thing Jungkook answers with, and it's bitter, because Jungkook really does hate that job of his, and Taehyung knows it. Jungkook doesn't want to lose him again.

"I did, but I'm the one that led his case, I have to be there" he answers "I will do anything I can so that they don't free him"

"Lets just go home." Jungkook says and stands up, hands in pockets as they walk back to the car.

The whole ride home was dead silent, not awkward but uncomfortable. Taehyung has to do something before Jungkook completely slips out of his reach, he can't leave the boy alone.


It's still dark when Taehyung wakes up for the fifth time this night, not able to sleep. Like he did the first four times, he turns around to check on Jungkook. This time he isn't there.

He looks around the dark room, there is no light coming from the hall, his guess is Jungkook just went to the bathroom. 
Yet a while longer passes and Jungkook still isn't back. Taehyung finally pushes himself out of the bed and makes his way out.

When he walks into the main room he sees Jungkook. The boy is resting his elbows on the counter, head down in his shaky hands. Taehyung takes notice of how shallow and fast his breathing is.
"Kookie?" He walks up closer to him. Jungkook immediately flinches away when Taehyung tries touching him. The boy doesn't even look up.

Taehyung could guess the younger is having a panic attack, so he walks around the counter to stand in front of Jungkook on the other side. He leans forward and gently pulls the boy's hands away from his face "Jungkook look at me," he says softly.

"Kookie" he whispers again when the boy ignores him. Jungkook finally looks up, eyes glossy, cheeks covered in tears. He doesn't say anything. 

"You're gonna count with me, yeah?" Taehyung says. Jungkook focuses on the other's eyes, he gives a shaky nod.

"One," The older says softly. Jungkook repeats.
Taehyung takes Jungkook's hands in his, lightly squeezing "Two" 
The boy repeats again, trying to focus on Taehyung's soothing voice, not on the fear he can't control.

And by 10, Jungkook's breathing is more even, his hands less shaky. Taehyung brought him to sit on the sofa while he pours the boy a glass of water.

"I'm scared" is the fisrt thing Jungkook manages to put into words when he sets the glass down. Taehyung is sat on the floor in front of him, hands on the boys knees, he looks up at the younger with sad eyes. "I know." He mumbles "But I'm here, you just-" he sighs "Kookie please don't drift away from me, you promised to trust me, you have to speak to me" he says "And I promise it will feel safer,"

"I promise Jungkook, everything will be fine."

His lips pressed together, Jungkook nods "I do trust you. . . And I'm sorry," he whispers "For how I reacted when you told me."

Taehyung shakes his head "You've nothing to apologize for, I didn't expect any better reaction." He stands up, pulling Jungkook with him "Now lets go back to sleep, we'll talk about everything else tomorrow, yeah?"

Jungkook pecks Taehyung on the lips and nods "Yeah." 


This time when Taehyung wakes up alone in bed, it's already bright outside, and maybe he stands up a bit too quick in worry. Everything spins for a few seconds, he quickly throws on a plain white t-shirt and makes his way to the kitchen.

This time when he spots Jungkook, he's standing in front of the oven, his back facing Taehyung. A way too big, black hoodie covering his torso and reaching just past his hips, sleeves pulled up.

Taehyung watches from the doorway, listening to Jungkook's sweet humming, few words actually slipping past his lips and his voice sounds angelic. It brings him back to when they first properly met.

Taehyung quietly makes his way over to Jungkook.

"Good morning" the boy mumbles without looking back. Taehyung chuckles "You heard me coming?" 

"No, had a feeling"

Taehyung rests his chin on the boy's left shoulder, his arms sneaking around Jungkooks waist, "Did you hear that?"
Jungkook lifts a brow even though he knowd Taehyung can't see his face "Hear what?"
  "The voice of an angel, singing"

Jungkook lets out a breathy laugh and just shakes his head, he just continues with his cooking.
"Sing it again" Taehyung mumbles, closing his eyes. 
And Jungkook does, this time using more words than humming. The older swaying to his singing with the boy in his arms.

"What song is it?" Taehyung mindlessly asks.
"Beautiful," Jungkook answers "It's from a drama"
He hears Taehyung laugh, it's really quiet but they're standing so close he cam even hear his calm breathing. "Which drama?" the older asks again, genuinely curious.
"Goblin," He feels Taehyung nod.
"You watch kdramas?"
Jungkook laughs "No," he says, "My roomate does, and I heard the song playing a few times"
The older answers with a quiet "Aha"

"You hungry?" The younger asks, "I gave my best attempt at making omelette"
Taehyung tilts his head in a way he can look at Jungkook and smiles "I'm hungry and sure it's great"


After getting dressed, Jungkook walks into the main room to see Taehyung at the table, looking through papers.
He can guess what it's about.
But something is odd, Taehyung is grinning.

"I know!" He says, closing the folder over and looking up at the boy. Jungkooks confused again.
"What?"

"Jungkook they don't know everything, they had no proof after you moved houses and got rid of your fathers stuff" he says, a sudden flush of relief washing through his body.
Jungkook stares at him, still lost.

"They don't know what he did to you."

"Didn't your boss tell them about everyt-"

"Yes, only what we knew, and not everything was taken into consideration without proof" Taehyung stands up "If what we told them was enough to get him a death penalty, all we have to do is find something more on him with proof. He won't be freed even with billions"

Jungkook doesn't say anything, instead he stops and thinks.
Taehyung walks up to him "There has to be something the police don't know."

Jungkook's mind goes back to those folders his father showed him. "He had a folder," he starts "It was filled with names of people that he or his crew had to get rid off. . . you were in it too" Jungkook stops again.

Taehyung wets his lips, trying to come up with something.

"I had a few boxes filled with my fathers stuff after moving out," Jungkook says "But before leaving Busan I told Mark to throw them out"

"Do you think he did?" The older asks in hope of hearing a 'No'. That folder could be useful.

Jungkook shakes his head, gently laughing "Doubt it"

"We're going to Busan." Taehyung says, sounding as sure as ever.
"What, when?"

"Now."