Chapter 14.

By my Side

 

"Do you think we might be happy, genuinely happy... In the future?"

 

Taehyung stares out onto the city of Seoul, lit up by thousands of lights, signs, vehicles, building advertisements. It looks pretty at night, beautiful from the top of the apartment building where they're standing.

 

 

He gives a surprising answer "No." Or so Jungkook thought, surprising.

 

 

"I don't think we might be happy." Taehyung adds "We will be happy. I already am, I have you."

 

 

Jungkook's confused expression changes into a sheepish smile, he hangs his head, staring down at his hands, resting against the cement wall at the edge of the building.
It's cheesy but so genuine.

 

 

"I'm happy." Jungkook says. "As long as you're with me."

 

 

And they really are happy.

 

 

Sure, there's things to fix, to sort.
Bigger issues like; Jungkook's father's life being still in debate on, his men weren't and never will be all caught. They all know who Jeon Jungkook and Kim Taehyung are, how they look like.

 

 

And there's smaller things like; the choice of which house they'll live in, Taehyung finding a job, moving away from Jimin and Yoongi.

 

 

But they're fine, they're happy, they're together. That's enough. They will get through it.

 

 

"We got an invitation." Taehyung speaks up after a minute or two, suddenly remembering the small paper Namjoon gave him earlier today.

 

 

"For?" Jungkook asks.

 

 

"Namjoon's and Seokjin's wedding." He says "Or, kind of wedding."

 

 

Jungkook's eyes widen, he turns to Taehyung "Really?"

 

 

Taehyung laughs "Yeah... wouldn't be happening if I didn't make Joon speak to Seokjin though."
Jungkook smiles "And get pushed into the lake in the park?"

 

 

Taehyung nods "That too."

 

 

The boy laughs "When's it happening?"

 

 

"Actually quite soon, in a week."

 

 

The younger looks understandably shocked "When did they get engaged?"

 

 

"A week ago.."

 

 

Jungkook lifts a brow, "That was quick."

 

 

Taehyung nods in agreement "Yeah, but that's because it's illegal, so they're not making it anything big here. They'll have it in papers though, some perks due to Namjoon living in the US for a while, being a citizen and all." He explains "They'll fly to New York, make it quick and official and come back, then we'll have some party."

 

 

The boy nods "Kim Seung-hwan and Kim Jho Kwang-soo got married, so they should be able too." He smiles. A silent smile, just happy for his friends.

 

 

"It's a pain though," Jungkook then adds "Having to go through all that for marriage, it should be legal here too..." He mumbles.

 

 

Taehyung hums in agreement.

 

 

"To think that..." Taehyung starts, trails off.
Jungkook makes a quiet sound, as if asking him 'what?'

 

 

"One phone call brought us here..."

 

 

Jungkook stays silent for a moment, thinking. It's true, how they got here. "Wouldn't if you didn't call back." Jungkook says.

 

 

"Are you glad I did?"

 

 

Jungkook ponders on that for a moment "If you asked me a year ago, when I tried avoiding you, I'd say no," Jungkook speaks, staring at the city "but it would be a lie even then, I wouldn't want to believe I'm glad you called back..."

 

 

"And now?"

 

 

Jungkook laughs, it's sweet and gentle, carried away by the wind. "Is that even a question?" He looks at Taehyung, smiling "Thank you." He then says. And Taehyung lifts a brow in question but Jungkook hugs him "Thank you for calling back, for saving me." He mumbles into his shirt "For staying by my side even when I was being stubborn."

 

 

Taehyung wraps his arms around the boy "No need to thank me, baby." He whispers into Jungkook's hair.

 

 

"Why though?"

 

 

Taehyung hums, asking Jungkook to make his question clearer.

 

 

"Why save me?"

 

 

Taehyung rests his chin on top of the boy's hair, chewing on his lip. "I was long done with working with the police at that time, promised myself I won't come back." He says "And I thought nothing could change my mind,"

 

 

"But?"

 

 

"But then you called. And you sounded so scared, so small..." He mumbled "And if I was to open the news paper next Monday just to read about another suicide, I'd know it'd be my fault." Jungkook stays quiet.

 

 

"It wasn't even about your father, I wanted to make sure you're okay, your father was just a chance that came along."

 

 

The younger slightly pulls away, just to be able to look up at Taehyung. He gives a childish, bunny grin. Taehyung chuckles "What?" He asks.

 

 

"You're such a loser,"

 

 

Taehyung quirks a brow, but before he can say anything Jungkook hugs him again "To fall in love with someone like me... When did that even happen?"

 

 

Taehyung shakes his head "I'm the luckiest ing person in the universe to have you." He says lowly, pulls Jungkook even closer. "I don't know, I didn't want to acknowledge it..." It's a mumble "Probably since the moment I properly met you, when we went to the park."

 

 

"When you brought me to your house?"

 

 

"That makes me seem like some pedo."

 

 

Jungkook laughs, he brings his arms up and around Taehyung's neck, just smiling, staring at Taehyung as if he's a painting, a perfect painting.

 

 

"What about you pretty boy?" The elder mumbles, gently swaying their bodies from side to side.

 

 

"Love was the last thing on my mind at that time..." He says "But I had something for you and your smile since the night you tried throwing me into the pond," Taehyung laughs at that. "But I never realized, I didn't want to... But I loved you before you confessed, it just was confusing."

 

 

Jungkook looks up to be met with hooded, love filled eyes staring back at him. Then there's a cold hand on his cheek, lining with his jawline before he feels warm, plush lips against his. And even while standing at the top of the apartment building in the cold of the night, he feels warm.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook turns around to make sure the apartment's door closed behind him. He shoves the key card in his black OBEY hoodie's pocket, humming to himself.

 

 

"Where you off to?"

 

 

Jungkook looks up to his left, a smile forms on his face when be sees Hoseok walking dowm the hallway with a sports bag slung over one shoulder. "For a walk, to the shop?" He answers, not quite sure himself.

 

 

Hoseok chuckles, gives a nod. "Tae home?"

 

 

"He had to go sort some things out at work," Jungkook answers, shoving his hands into his sweatpants pockets "So I'm alone and even more bored at the moment. You?"

 

 

Hoseok nods again Off to do some dancing, also bored." He laughs.

 

 

They both start walking towards the lift. "Hey?" Jungkook starts, Hoseok looks at him "Is the offer for a dance still up?"
Hoseok smiles "Of course."

 

 

 

"You said you did some dancing, but , you never mentioned you're this good!"

 

Jungkook laughs, hands on his knees and he's trying to catch his breath, sweating "Thanks," he breathes "I guess." Standing up he pulls the hoodie off, lucky for him, he wore a tank top underneath it.

 

 

"You should join our group." Hoseok suggests before gulping down his water.

 

 

Jungkook stands up, grabbing his own bottle "I would, really," he takes a drink "But I'm here just for the Holliday's, I've to go back to Busan soon."

 

 

"Ah," Hoseok stands up "That's too bad."

 

 

They both sid down against the wall, despite there being a bench on the other side of the hall.

 

 

"So," Jungkook stars "how's crazy heel-throwin' chick?"

 

 

Hoseok laughs "Still gotta marry her, so she's fine, me on the other hand nope."

 

 

"Why though, what parents force their child into marriage?" Jungkook says, not like he'd really know what a proper parent is supposed to be like, at least not from experience.

 

 

"My parents, they'd do anything for money, even if it teams their gay son having to marry some crazy trust fund baby."

 

 

Jungkook clicks his tongue "That's bull. I don't know much but aren't your parents rich and ?"

 

 

Hoseok snorts "Yeah," he says, placing his bottle down. Jungkook watches his movement "My father is the CEO of a bank actually, but he'd do illegal as long as it means profit, truth is he won't even live long enough to use all that money up."

 

 

Jungkook shakes his head, he finds this extremely dumb. Having everything others want, yet wanting more.

 

 

"I'm off their hooks for the next month or so," Hoseok adds after a moment "They left a day ago, to China for some "Business related stuff""

 

 

Jungkook nods "That's good for you then, I guess." He says, Hoseok nods in agreement. "You're supposed to get married, but are you really gonna go with it?"

 

 

The older sighs, staying silent for a moment "I don't really have a choice, if I go against my parents in any way I'll be written out of the family..." He explains "I had a few boyfriends and all that, but I never feel serious about it because of all that marriage ."

 

 

Jungkook looks up at the clock on the wall, realizing he should be going back home now. He spent almost three hours with Hoseok here. And he really enjoyed it, some mind clearing exercise.

 

 

"I honestly know about how parents are supposed to be and all, I had it ed up since the beginning, even worse since 15," Jungkook stands up "But you shouldn't be forced to do something you don't want to. You shouldn't do it."

 

 

Hoseok gives a sheepish nod, he also stands up. "Come by before leaving yeah?"
Jungkook flashes a smile "I will."

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Walking in he notices Taehyung's shoes in the hallway, meaning he's back home.
Jungkook kicks his own shoes off and walks into the kitchen "Sorry..." He mumbles immediately, looking up at Taehyung, feeling guilty. He lost track of time and left his phone home. "I didn't realize what time it is."

 

 

Taehyung looks up from the papers scattered on the table before him "Hey, it's fine baby," he smiles when he sees Jungkook's worried expression "You're free to leave the house of course, just bring your phone with you next time."

 

 

Jungkook gives a nod and a sheepish smile "Sorry, I forgot it."

 

 

"Where did you go?" Taehyung asks, looking back down at the papers.

 

 

Jungkook sits at the table in front of him, eyeing the paper, slightly irritated. Taehyung was supposed be done with this work.
"Hung out with Hoseok, we did some dancing." And it sounds lower than he intended. More monotone, even taking himself by surprise. Jungkook clears his throat in a way to apologize.

 

 

Taehyung immediately notices it. He knows what the matter is. "I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to be involved with this anymore I know-"

 

 

"But?"

 

 

Taehyung sighs. Hesitates. "But that person from before, they're still willing to pay a load of money to get your father free..."

 

 

Taehyung reaches to take Jungkook's hand when he sees his expression fall, but the boy stands up "Why." He more implies, than questions "Why? Who the would want that piece of out free?!" He pushes the chair back in it's place aggressively.

 

 

"Someone... I don't know. They're anonymous." Taehyung sighs "Even Choi doesn't know, and all I got from these papers is that it's some CEO." He explains "How many CEO's did your father know?"

 

 

Jungkook shrugs with a groan "A lot, surprisingly." He walks over to the table, flipping through the papers.

 

 

"It'll be fine-"

 

 

"Bull." Jungkook says "What will you say when he gets freed, 'It's fine'?!"

 

 

Taehyung stands up, rests his hands on the table before looking right at the boy "I'm the last person that will allow that bastard out of there, Jungkook." He says, lowly. "I am not about to get my future with you ed by some psycho old man."

 

 

Jungkook stays silent, keeps eye contact.

 

 

"It will be fine, whether he's freed or not." Taehyung says, taking hold of Jungkook's hand. And Jungkook feels somewhat calm again. "If he's freed, we'll move out of the country, as long as it keeps us safe."

 

 

And Jungkook believes him, trusts him. He knows when Taehyung is serious.
The younger looks back to the papers, flipping through them. Eyes scanning the blocks of letters.

 

 

"KB Citigroup..."

 

 

Taehyung looks down at the papers "What about it?"

 

 

"That's where most of the anonymous person's profit comes from..." He reads on further, brows furrowed in thought "It's a bank."
Taehyung looks up at his boyfriend, still lost.

 

 

"He's the CEO of this bank..." Jungkook says. He then looks up at his boyfriend in realization.
"I know who it is."