Chapter 1.

By my Side

The skies were a mix of beautiful colors, varying from pinks to purples and blues, the sun has almost set. It's last rays of sunlight cutting through the branches of cherry blossom trees. It was a beautiful spring day.

Everything would be a perfect. But it isn't, at least not for Jungkook, who's heart was shattering once again. He stood staring down at the water, tears trailing down his cheeks.
"It hurts" Jungkook cries, voice shaking "How could you leave me...?"

"I couldn't"

The voice behind him is low, heart piercingly familiar, and Jungkook slowly turns around.

"And I didn't"

The younger felt himself suffocating, he wanted to break down but no muscle in his body allowed that.
And maybe it's now that everything got to him? All the abuse, the long term anxiety caused by being in danger every, single, day. Maybe he's just gone crazy.
Crazy, thats probably it, because how is it possible that the same man that Jungkook called accidentally, the person who looked out for him and didn't give up on him, the same person that was said to have died on this day exactly a year ago, is standing before him, staring at Jungkook with a sad, broken smile?

"No.." The boy sobs, holding his hands up to his mouth, whether it was in disbelief or to stop his cries "You can't- you're not-" he hiccups "You died, you're dead you're not here!" he's shaking his head.

The older would take a step forward and embrace the boy, but he's so scared. He put Jungkook in pain.
"I'm sorry" his voice is just above a whisper "I'm so sorry Jungkook"

Dead silence falls between them, Jungkook forcefully stopping his cries with his hand. He is terrified, what if he really has gone mad, what if the figure before him is not real?

Taehyung feels his breath turn uneven, he didn't realize when he started crying, but seeing Jungkook so broken pains him, and he can only blame himself.

Jungkook pushes himself forward, throwing his arms around Taehyung's torso. 
And when he feels the male's arms wrap around his smaller frame, all doubts disappear, he knows it's real, because only Taehyung could make him feel so warm and safe.

Taehyung holds the shaking boy in his arms, his vision also turning blurry "I'm so, so sorry" he whispers.

 

 

"I seen you," Jungkook mumbles, expressionlessly staring at the glistening water in front of them. His legs curled up to his chest and his head resting on Taehyung's shoulder. The same spot they sat after meeting in person. "being dragges into the ambulance," he continues "...they said you died"

Even though Jungkook shows no expression, the tone of his voice is filled with sadness.

"How?" He faintly whispers, furrowing his brows at the water, afraid he'll break down again. "How is it that you're here?" His voice cracks.

Taehyung takes a deep breath. The younger could both hear and feel how shaky it is.
"I fell in a comma," Taehyung starts "for four months. It was decided, by the police department, that it's safer to say I'm dead, at least until they catch the rest of your father's gang... So they won't come after you or me"
  Taehyung slowly brings his hand down, gently taking Jungkook's own in his, squeezing it as if to remind the boy that he's here. "When I woke up, you were already gone, but I couldn't do anything... Not until I was allowed to"

"I was worried to death, the only thing I heard about you was that you moved to Busan, and I could only hope it was true"

"Did Yoongi and Jimin not know what happened?" Jungkook asks quietly.

Taehyung gently shakes his head "For a while they didn't... Yoongi found out first, Jimin only last month"
Taehyung rests his head on top of Jungkook's. "You must be mad at me" he whispers.

Jungkook lightly shakes his head, bringing one hand up to wipe away the forming tears "No, you're here.. You're alive, that's all that matters" He breathes.

Taehyung brings their connected hands up, placing a small kiss on Jungkook's knuckles. "I promise not to ever leave you again, I'll always be by your side, but that's only if you want me to"

Jungkook turns his head to look up at Taehyung, he stays quiet for a moment, simply searching Taehyung's eyes for some sign of... Something. Thats one thing he always found hard to do, keep eye contact with Taehyung, his eyes are always blank, you never know what he's thinking. 'Does he still love me...?'
Jungkook hesitates, but what other choice does he have than word it.

"I don't want you to ever leave me," he says quietly, but Taehyung could clearly hear it from how close they are, he could feel Jungkook's breath on his lips. "I love you" the boy says.

While Jungkook looked scared, Taehyung's eyes finally showed something, and they showed relief and happiness. "I love you too" he smiles and watches Jungkook's expression of fear fade. He lets go of Jungkook's hand and places it on the boys cheek, it with his tumb before slowly moving it to the boys  hair, and finally, kissing him.

Jungkook kisses back, closing his eyes, their lips moving in sync. The younger pushes slightly harder, enjoying the feeling of Taehyung's lips on his.
Taehyung can't help but smile into the kiss. Jungkook pulls away, once again hugging the older, hiding his face in the black material of Taehyung's hoodie. The older lays back on the grass with Jungkook's head on his chest, the boys ash brown hair. 

"I'll never leave you again, I promise"

 

 

Jungkook is glancing from building to building as he walks hand in hand with Taehyung trough the familiar street. "I haven't been here for ages" he mumbles, staring at the cafe in the distance.

Taehyung lets out a small sigh and smiles almost sadly "You can call me crazy but for the past few months I've been coming here every day, hoping a boy with dark lost eyes, would walk into me and make the phone in my hands drop"

Jungkook breathes in shakily, remembering the first time it happened. He smiles up at Taehyung "Dark lost eyes?"
The older looks down at him, his smile still there "Thats the first thing that came into my mind when I seen you"
Jungkook looks down at the footpath as they walk and smiles to himself.

 

As they get closer to the cafe, Jungkook looks up. His eyes widen just like the smile on his face when he sees Jimin and Yoongi standing at the entrance. The boy with now bright pink hair waves at him. Taehyung lets go of Jungkook's hand and lets the boy go, watching as he runs off to Jimin, hugging him.

"Jungkookie!" Jimin laughs, tightly wrapping his arms around his best friend. Taehyung walks up to Yoongi, resting his hand on the males shoulder as they watch the two child-like boys laughing and hugging.

"Wow apparently I'm invisible huh?" Jungkook hears Yoongi and looks up at him before letting go of Jimin and hugging the oldest. "You're just too short, I didn't see you" Jungkook mumbles.

"Yah!" Yoongi half laughs "I thought those jokes were over with, and I'm taller than you"

Jungkook lets go, avoiding the effortless punch Yoongi threw him.
"Still short" Jungkook laughs.

 

 

"What do you guys want?" Jimin smiles at the group.
"Cappuccino" Yoongi speaks up. Taehyung smiles "Same here"
Jungkook ponders for a second more "Latte?"

Jimin nods and stands up, but before walking off to order, he grabs Jungkook's hand "You're coming with me" he grins. Jungkook just follows with a small smile.

Taehyung watches as the two boys walk up towards the counter.

He feels Yoongi's gaze on him, it's practically burning. Taehyung knows what the older wants to say, but he doesn't want to hear it. Not now, now he just wants to be happy, even if it's only for the day.

"Taehyung," the older starts "You didn't tell him, did you?"

Taehyung sighs, his gaze dropping down at his hands, fingers tapping against the table. "Does it look like I did?" He mumbles.

"You need to tell him"

"But it'll upset him again, I hate being the reason why he cries" the younger glares at the male in front of him.

Yoongi sighs "It'll hurt him more the later he finds out."

"I'll tell him, just not yet"