Chapter 5

The Possession

Taehyung watched Yoongi pet Jimin on the head. His eyes narrowed at the intimate display.

Were they dating now?

He felt jealousy surge into his blood and he went back to lay in bed.

What was it to him if they dated?

Nothing that’s right.

He laid in bed staring at the ceiling until Jimin came in. Taehyung sat up noting Jimin’s crestfallen expression.

“What’s wrong?”

“I think Yoongi hyung likes Hoseok hyung.”

Taehyung watched Jimin not bother to change and crash face first in his bed.

“So, both of our crushes like each other?”

Jimin turned to look at him. He knew that look, it was the “ where are you going with this Tae” look.

“Yeah I guess.” He managed.

“So…” Taehyung hesitated. “We should…like each other?”

Jimin smiled, then burst into laughter.

Taehyung nearly clutched his heart in pain. He couldn’t believe Jimin was laughing at his line.

Had it been too direct?

“As if!”

 Hey! ” Taehyung said a little too loud, Jimin stopped laughing and stared at him in surprise. “I’m not that bad.”

Jimin raised his eyebrows.

“I’m actually pretty handsome you know.”

“And?”

“And…” Taehyung looked down and back up at Jimin. “I hit puberty twice, look at the sound of my voice.”

 And? ” Jimin cracked a smile.

Taehyung felt his heartbeat speed up at the sight of it. Jimin always had the cutest smiles. They seemed to bring out the sun on a cloudy day.

“And…you’re cute and I want to hold your hand.”

“What?” Jimin sat up.

“I like you, Jimin.”

Jimin stared at him for a long time, making Taehyung squirm. He couldn’t tell what the boy was thinking and it was alarming.

“I can’t believe you.”

“Huh?”

Jimin glared at him. "You think just because I’m about Yoongi you can come in as the jealous best friend and try to pretend to be about me?”

Taehyung flinched at Jimin’s cold tone.

Why was he so mad?  Where was he even getting this from?

Yes he was very jealous, but not the for the reason Jimin thought.

“You just don’t want me happier than you with someone else!” Jimin accused. “You’re acting selfish!”

“What? You’re not even happy now!” Taehyung protested.

“I was.” Jimin hissed back.

“I’m not joking Jimin, I liked you since last year and--”

“Save it for someone who will reciprocate.” Jimin cut him off then got out of the bed, walking to the door.

“Jimin!”

“I’m sleeping on the couch.” He muttered, before slamming the door shut.

Taehyung sighed deeply.

“Smooth, hyung, smooth.”

“Shut up Jungkook.” Taehyung muttered, as he pulled his blanket over his head.

If Jimin was going to take his confession like that then he could sleep on the couch for the rest of the year!

How could he laugh and dismiss my feelings like that?

I’m his best friend, he should know when I’m serious.

Some best friend he was!


Taehyung had eventually fallen asleep, but a noise woke him from his slumber.

He sat up and looked at Jimin’s bed. Still empty. He then looked at Jungkook’s bed. Recently empty.

Taehyung figured Jungkook was sleepwalking again. He saw the door was open and realized he had gotten out and was probably thumping his head downstairs on the refrigerator or something.

He placed his monkey slippers on his feet and shuffled downstairs.

He glanced at the kitchen. No Jungkook. It was pitch black, but there was nothing there when Taehyung flashed his cellphone light, except a plate of leftover cookies Jin had made earlier. Taehyung took one and looked around before stuffing it in his mouth. He stuffed more into his pajama pockets, with a mischievous giggle.

He then made his way to the living room.

“Jungkook? Jimin?” He whispered. He flashed his cellphone and spotted Jungkook standing over Jimin’s form on the couch. Jungkook looked a little...creepy.

His eyes were dilated, appearing almost black, as he loomed over Jimin. He was also smiling very big, as if he too had stolen cookies.

Even as Taehyung shined the light on him, the boy didn’t blink nor tear his gaze away from Jimin.

Taehyung was disturbed.

“Jimin!” He hissed.

“Uh?”

“Jungkook is sleepwalking again.”

Jimin sat up and turned with a gasp. “Damn it Jungkook!”

He then looked at Taehyung, both exchanging looks of alarm.

Taehyung wanted to comfort the boy, but he kept still. He was probably still mad at him, it wouldn’t help the situation if he reached for a hug.

Though he wanted to, Jungkook’s expression was terrifying even for him.

“Why does this keep happening?” Jimin asked.

Taehyung shrugged. Jungkook had a pattern of sleepwalking every once a week now. Usually it was no big deal he would just thump on the door, but now he was getting out. And his expression was growing weirder.

“Get him out of here.” Jimin ordered.

Taehyung nervously walked around the couch and approached the maknae. The boy made no indication he had noticed and stayed completely still, wide eyes and smile set on Jimin’s form.

He had placed a hand on the boy’s shoulder when suddenly, Jungkook attacked.

“What the ?!” Jimin squeaked, as Taehyung wrestled with Jungkook on the ground.

Jungkook was built like a damn barge, Taehyung noticed. He was quickly on top of Taehyung clawing and punching like some crazed animal. He made growls and screeches, as well. His eyes were still wide and dark, his mouth was now open and Taehyung’s heart pounded as he caught a glimpse of pointy teeth.

Since when did he have teeth like that?

He tried to push Jungkook to the side, failing as the boy instead, took Taehyung’s arm and bit it.

Taehyung grunted in pain, attempting to push Jungkook’s face away with his other hand.

“Jungkook wake up!” Jimin screamed.

He smacked Jungkook’s shoulders, then finally slapped the boy in the face.

Taehyung was stunned at the sheer force of Jimin’s hand. The slap seemed to vibrate throughout the whole room. Taehyung himself could almost feel it.

Jungkook blinked his eyes open. “Huh? What’s going on?”

He then winced and held onto his cheek.

“You bit Taehyung!”

Jungkook looked down seeing he was straddling Taehyung. He got off the boy and bowed, repeatedly. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, hyung!”

“It’s okay.” Taehyung sat up, clutching his arm. It stung, but he’d suffered dog bites before so it wasn’t a pain he hadn’t experienced.

“Are you okay?” Taehyung saw the concern in Jimin’s eyes and he felt elated. Was he worried about me?

Taehyung puffed out his chest and in his deepest, manliest voice boomed. “Yeah, I’ve felt worse.”

Jimin rolled his eyes. “I meant Jungkook, not you.”

Taehyung not having to pretend to be strong, got on the ground and held his arm, groaning dramatically. Jimin rolled his eyes.

“You been doing this a lot, Jungkook.” Jimin continued.

“I know. I keep having nightmares too.” The young boy nodded in agreement.

“Maybe Jin was right. Maybe we should look into this. It only feels like it’s getting worse, I mean, now you’re attacking people.”

Taehyung stood up and winced as he placed his arm down. Jungkook caught him and offered him an apologetic look.

“Won’t he worry though?” Jungkook asked, turning back to Jimin.

“He’s already worrying.” Jimin said. “We might as well help ease his conscience a bit.”

“We should go to bed,” Taehyung spoke up. “We can discuss this in the morning.”

They agreed and Taehyung and Jungkook began to make their way until Taehyung noticed Jimin wasn’t following.

“Come to bed.” He urged.

Jimin gave him a look over, then softened when he saw his wound. “Fine.”


The next day Taehyung was doing his laundry. There was washer and dryer in the basement, but to be nice to the spirits he decided to hang his clothes in the yard to dry.

The spirits always seemed tired kind of like Yoongi, but less grumpy.

They offered Taehyung tips on how to woo Jimin in their moments of energy, however and Taehyung in turn would leave them to rest. He would also inform the others when not to step in the basement, as to not disturb them.

They were all girls, but Jimin was soft sometimes like a girl, so their advice was still helpful. Jimin cried in every Nicholas Sparks movies and he owned at least two eye shadows, that was enough to be relatable in Taehyung’s mind.

He clipped his shirts to the clothesline, just as Jin came out and stood beside him watching.

“Hey Tae.”

“Hey Jin hyung.” Taehyung smiled.

Jin, wordlessly, helped him place the rest of his clothes to dry.

“So, I heard you told Hoseok about spirits in the basement?”

“Oh yes.” He recalled Hoseok’s persistent questions that seemed to amuse and annoy him, since at that time Jimin was acting all foolish over Yoongi.

He still is , a small voice nagged him in the back of his mind.

He ignored it.

“So, you can see spirits?”

Taehyung wouldn’t say he saw them. He saw orbs of light bouncing around, that he made sure not to hit, but he tended to hear them more.

“Kind of.” He told him. “More like I hear them whispering.”

“Whispering?” Jin raised his eyebrows.

Taehyung nodded. It was usually faint, only growing in noise when they were gossiping over the residents in the house or when they would argue between each other.

Apparently even spirits had drama, Taehyung found out.

“Have you heard them anywhere else?” Jin asked as they made their way back into the house.

Taehyung shook his head.

“Okay.” Jin seemed satisfied with the answer. “Do you mind keeping an ear out though?”

Why did Jin want to know about the spirits so bad? Was he also curious over their drama?

“Okay hyung.” Taehyung replied. He then thought back to last night. “Hey hyung, can I tell you something?”

He saw Jin’s eyes narrow with interest and the older boy looked around before nodding.

“Jungkook said he’s been having nightmares and he’s also sleepwalking a lot more now.”

“And it’s not normal for him?” Jin inferred.

Taehyung thought back to the night before, when he had seen Jungkook with his wide eyes and big smile standing over Jimin. Then when he had been attacked. The pointy teeth that had delved into his skin. He touched his arm, instinctively with a shiver.

“No.” Taehyung replied.

“With all the stuff that’s happened recently I think I should call a priest or something.” Jin sighed, rubbing his face with his hands.

“Maybe we could start small?” Taehyung suggested.

Jin raised an eyebrow.

“So, the others don’t freak out and make the spirits stronger.”

Jin shifted his head to the side in question.   

“We should get holy water and just bless the basement.” Taehyung continued, getting excited. Blessing a house had always been on his bucket list right before witnessing an exorcism.

“That sounds perfect.” Jin patted his head. “You’re a genius Taehyung.”

Taehyung grinned. It was always nice when someone acknowledged his intelligence. He wasn’t a top student for nothing.

“We’ll do it tomorrow.” Jin proposed. Taehyung agreed and they promised to meet in the afternoon by the basement door.

Taehyung would have to talk to the spirits tonight. Hopefully they wouldn’t be offended. Jin was just trying to be careful. Maybe it would help Jungkook too.

Just as they finished up talking, Namjoon came in and Jin seemed to immediately freeze up.

“Hey guys.”

“Oh— hey! ” Jin’s voice went up an octave.

Taehyung stifled a snicker. Jin was awful at remaining calm under the pressure of a lie. 

He busied himself by fiddling with his thumbs as they talked, competing in a thumb war with himself. So far, the right thumb was winning.

“What’s for dinner?”

“Well…seeing as you and Jungkook’s birthdays are coming up, I figured we could celebrate by going out for barbecue?”

“Are you serious hyung?” Namjoon’s eyes went wide, even Taehyung looked up.

Jin nodded.

“Yeah!” Namjoon and Taehyung yelled in celebration.

Jin laughed and told them to race up the stairs to inform everyone about the good news. Taehyung immediately rushed to his room, eager to tell his roommates.

He opened the door and found Jungkook playing with his phone.

“Where’s Jimin?” Taehyung’s excitement disappeared.

“He went with Yoongi somewhere.” Jungkook shrugged.

Taehyung sighed. Of course he did. Jimin was still trailing after him like a puppy despite it all.

Despite my feelings , he thought bitterly.

“Jealous much?” Jungkook smirked.

Taehyung stuck his tongue out at him then collapsed into bed until it was time to leave. Not quite feeling up to it, anymore.


At dinner Taehyung and Jimin sat together. Jungkook who was on Taehyung’s other side gave the boy a nudge and a wink. Taehyung glared back, then turned to Jimin.

He handed him his meat, placing it on Jimin’s rice bowl, gently. Jimin looked at him as if questioning his motives.

“Sorry for everything.” He said, hoping his eyes showed as much apology as he could muster. He had practiced a couple times in the mirror.

“I’m sorry too.” Jimin mumbled, looking down. “Friends again?”

Taehyung nodded.

Inside he felt the ache in heart, again. He didn’t really want to go back to being friends.

Well he did want to be friends, but he wanted to kiss Jimin every morning, and not in the silly way he did with Jungkook. He wanted a deeper, more soulful connection to Jimin.

How could he make him understand?


They spent the rest of the night drinking and eating, near the end most of them were full blown drunk as they sang Jungkook and Namjoon happy birthday.

Jungkook hid behind his juice box, looking embarrassed by his drunk hyungs, while Namjoon yowled along, tone-deaf.

Taehyung took one last shot as they all stood up to leave. He stumbled over Jungkook a couple times and felt Jimin’s small hands on his shoulders, guiding him out.

He smiled the whole ride back.

When they arrived home, Jungkook practically carried them up the stairs and slammed them on their beds.

He then proceeded to knock out, leaving a drunk Taehyung and Jimin giggling in the dark.

“I like you Jimin.” Taehyung giggled, looking at Jimin who looked so perfect with his messy hair and flushed cheeks.

“I like you too.” Jimin smiled.

Taehyung stood only to crash into Jimin’s bed. He pressed a kiss on his nose. His cute button nose that would scrunch up at the smell of Jungkook’s excessive perfume in the morning.

He then kissed him on the forehead, his beautiful forehead that he would always expose with his silly habit of pushing his hair back with his hands.

He then pressed a kiss on his open mouth. His small, pretty mouth that would pout when he wouldn’t get his way.

Taehyung felt his skin heat up as their lips brushed, delicately. He felt prickling go up and down his body, but it wasn’t uncomfortable. It was the complete opposite.

He wanted more.

Jimin giggled and looked away shyly. “I like you too Yoongi.”

Taehyung about to kiss him again, froze. He then realized Jimin was just imagining, he didn’t like Taehyung, he liked Yoongi.

“Why?” He demanded.

“You act like you’re rude, but you’re kind.” Jimin hiccuped. He placed a hand on Taehyung’s cheek. “When you smile, it’s so rare, it’s magical. You’re handsome and caring and mature.”

Taehyung winced. Okay I get it, he’s perfect . “What about Taehyung?”

Jimin frowned. He probably wondered why Yoongi was bringing up Taehyung of all people. “He’s annoying, weird.”

Each word felt like a dagger to his heart. Taehyung clutched it looking at Jimin sadly.

How could he be so cruel? Was Yoongi not without faults?

He felt a tear fall down his cheek and he wiped it away.

Jimin could think what he wanted, he decided.

He would have to learn to move on.

He would have to learn to support Jimin.

Taehyung was ready to pull away when Jimin continued.

“But, I love him. He’s my brother, I trust him. He knows how to cheer me up, he’s fun, and I don’t…I hate when we fight.”

Taehyung smiled. Sure, it wasn’t quite what he wanted, but he could accept it.

He pulled away and was about to stumble to his bed when Jimin pulled him by the wrist.

“Stay with me.” Jimin said looking up at him with wide eyes and a pouty mouth.

Taehyung breathed out. How was his best friend so adorable?

It hurt him, but what could he do if he didn't feel the same way? 

He nodded and stayed.