Chapter 3

The Possession

Jimin woke up to thudding. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Was someone knocking on the door?

When he finally looked up he saw Jungkook, back towards him, walking into the door repeatedly.

What was the maknae doing?

“Tae.” He whispered to his right. “Tae!”

“Hm?”

“Wake up.” Jimin badgered throwing his stuffed lion at Taehyung’s head. “Jungkook is…”

What was he doing exactly?

Taehyung shot out of bed and approached the boy. “Sleepwalking?! I never seen it before! Cool!”

Jimin laid back down. He’d never seen it either, but it wasn’t cool it was a little unnerving.

He heard Taehyung coax Jungkook back to bed, before going back to his own bed. Taehyung flashed him a thumbs up, before turning around.

Jimin felt himself almost drift off to sleep, when he heard the thudding again.

He turned to his left side and glanced at Jungkook’s bed. It was empty.

He then turned to the right at Taehyung’s back. “Taehyung.”

“What?”

“Where’s Jungkook?”

Taehyung turned and opened his eyes. His eyes went wide with alarm.

Jimin felt a shudder run down his back. “What?”

Taehyung smiled weakly. “Uh…don't freak out.”

Jimin slowly turned to look over his shoulder. There at the side of his bed was Jungkook eyes wide awake, staring at nothing. His mouth in a strange wide smile.

Jimin screamed and ran out of bed. He aimed for the lights, but they were switched on immediately, as Namjoon rushed in.

“Hey!” He shouted. “What’s going on?”

Jin was right behind him with a keyboard in his hands. “Everyone okay?”

“Jungkook was sleepwalking and it scared Jimin.” Taehyung told them.

Jimin gave him a glare. Way to make me sound weak, Kim Taehyung!

Jungkook, who in the scuffle woke up, smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, hyung.”

Namjoon threw his head back and laughed. Taehyung and Jungkook joined in while, Jimin managed a pout.

Yoongi suddenly appeared, with a uniform and freshly combed hair. He snatched the keyboard from Jin’s hands and gave him a look before leaving the room.

“Sorry!” Jin called after him.

“Okay everyone back to bed.” Namjoon ordered ushering them back. He then closed the door and turned off the lights.

Taehyung and Jungkook fell asleep quickly, their soft snores filling the room. Jimin tossed and turned in bed, before deciding to go downstairs for a glass of water. He desperately wanted to get the image of a creepy wide-eyed Jungkook hovering over his bed, out of his mind. 

The wood floor was cold on his bare feet as he descended into the kitchen. When he entered, he saw Yoongi packing his lunch. He gave Jimin a nod, while placing Tupperware in a plain blue lunch bag.

Jimin walked past him and opened the front door, letting Kkanji in. He and Jimin walked into the kitchen, Kkanji leaping to sit on the counter top.

“You okay?” Yoongi asked, looking at Jimin.

Jimin nodded. “Just came for water.”

Yoongi petted Kkanji, who welcomed it with a purr.

“He likes you.”

“Yeah.”

“You’re the same in a way.” Jimin said, petting Kkanji before the cat jumped down and went to his food bowl. “Sleeping all day, up at night. Grumpy, but can be nice when you want to be.”

“When was I nice?” Yoongi smirked, handing Jimin a glass of water.

Jimin smiled. “Can’t remember.”

“Go to bed.” Yoongi ordered, as he placed his lunch bag over his shoulder. “Don’t over think things.”

Jimin nodded and Yoongi gave him a smile that made Jimin squirm inside. Yoongi was so angry at times, it was magical anytime he smiled.

And at me no less!

“Go to bed.” He said again, petting his hair. Jimin felt tingles in his scalp where the boy’s fingers brushed it.

He could die and go to heaven now.

Jimin finished his glass as Yoongi nodded goodbye, then walked back to his room his fear vanished.


Taehyung was the first thing Jimin saw in the morning, as usual. He was on top of him, grinning his boxy smile.

“My beautiful Mini, you awaken!” He exclaimed, showering Jimin’s cheeks with kisses.

“Get off you fool.” Jimin shoved him off, sitting up.

“Ow!” Taehyung hit the floor on his making Jungkook laugh.

Jimin smiled at the youngest boy. He liked it when Jungkook laughed. He had been too serious, too often. He was even hanging out with him and Taehyung less. He wondered if the nightmares and sleepwalking had anything to do with it.

“Oh my Kookie, you awaken too!” Taehyung leaped up and jumped on Jungkook’s bed giving Jungkook a nuzzle on his head with his own head.

“Hey! I thought it was only me!” Jimin protested, folding his arms in mock jealousy.

“Of course!”

Taehyung ran to Jimin’s bed arms wide. He then tripped on Jimin’s sneakers and came crashing down on Jimin, their lips colliding.

Just as it happened, Namjoon appeared.

“Breakfast time…uh…” He looked at Jimin and Taehyung, then at Jungkook smiling innocently. “Ok.”

He left, shutting the door.

At the sound, Jimin and Taehyung parted looking at each other then at Jungkook. The youngest boy burst into laughter falling off the bed, then rolling around in hysteria.

Jimin and Taehyung followed.

Throughout breakfast, Namjoon glanced at the three uncomfortably. Jimin had to smack Taehyung several times to control the boy’s laughter.

“Sleep well?” Jin asked them.

Jimin nodded.

Namjoon turned to Jin. “Are you worrying again?”

Jin ducked his head. “Sorry.”

Namjoon placed a hand on his arm, looking at him, gently.

Jimin wondered what had happened between them. Namjoon seemed more aware of Jin. Could Jin hyung and Namjoon hyung…like each other?

After they had finished Jin cleared the plates to the kitchen and Namjoon turned to the three who were putting on their backpacks.

“You guys should be more considerate towards Jin. Can’t you see he’s all shook up?”

The three apologized and bowed their heads.

Namjoon gave a nod of approval just as Jin emerged, signaling them it was time to go.

When they were dropped off, Taehyung began to explain his theory over black holes being wormholes and how if one were to travel through it, maybe they would end up in a different dimension.

“Imagine being on another planet where everyone is a dog?” Taehyung asked excitedly.

Jimin and Jungkook exchanged glances of " only Taehyung" .

“I think Namjoon likes Jin.” Jimin interrupted before Taehyung could talk more.

“Why?” Taehyung asked.

“He’s always worries about him, plus the solo dinner date?”

“Ah.” Taehyung nodded.

“Jin seems scared.” Jungkook spoke up.

“Yeah.” Taehyung agreed. “I thought the only scaredy cat was Jiminnie.”

Jimin punched his shoulder.

“We should be more considerate.” Jungkook repeated Namjoon’s words.

“Wow, mature Kookie!” Jimin exclaimed.

Jungkook smiled, then waved goodbye as he took a right to his classroom.

Jimin turned to Taehyung. “He’s getting bigger every day.”

Taehyung nodded, then glanced at his watch. “Come on, or we’ll be late for class!”

He took Jimin’s hand and they both ran off.


When they returned to the house mid-afternoon, they saw Yoongi and Hoseok in the kitchen cooking. Jimin quickly came in between them beaming at Yoongi, as he chopped at vegetables, his small pale hands so delicate and careful.

Jimin was over the moon.

“Can we help?” He chirped.

Hoseok handed him and Taehyung vegetables. “Peel them and cut them.”

Jimin happily skipped to the sink counter and started washing the vegetables, he caught Taehyung’s look in the process.

“What?”

“We were supposed to work on our man cave treehouse in the backyard.” He grumbled, helping Jimin out.

“Man cave?” Hoseok set down a bag of rice with a smile. “Isn’t that supposed to be in the basement or something?”

“It should.” Jimin shot Taehyung a hard stare. “But Tae said not to bother the spirits.”

He continued diligently washing hoping Yoongi was noticing. He could be a good cook too. He could be anything Yoongi wanted.

“Wait what?"

Yoongi even managed to raise his eyebrows.

“There’s spirits in the basement.” Taehyung declared, starting to peel a potato.

“Are they… friendly ?" Hoseok ventured to ask. Jimin thought he looked a little pale, but then again, the sight of spider made the older boy lose color.

“Yeah,” Taehyung said, nonchalantly. “They’re just forever lost.”

Jimin snorted as he shaved a carrot. Taehyung was always so direct in saying things. He was quick to say how it was, with no consideration of others’ feelings. Sometimes it was annoying and sometimes it was endearing, in a childlike way.

“Why are they lost?”

“Don’t ask too much.” Yoongi warned Hoseok. Jimin had to admire the way Yoongi always seemed to caution the others. Like last night .

He thought back to when Yoongi had smiled at him and petted his hair. His spine tingled as he remembered how it felt.

Maybe I should also ask too many questions…

“They’re lost because they can’t find the light.” Taehyung explained. Jimin knew he would have added “duh”, but Yoongi was there and he wouldn’t be so disrespectful around him.

Ah yes, if there was one thing Jimin loved about his hyung was that he was someone to be respected. Despite his height, he looked intimidating and proud.

And cool...And handsome...

“The light?” Hoseok asked.

“Enough.” Yoongi muttered to Hoseok.

Taehyung smiled.

“Hyung asks too many questions.” He told Jimin, who nodded, busy cutting his carrots.

Was he a chef yet? This was kind of hard work. He looked over his shoulder hoping Yoongi was looking at the way his arm flexed with the chop of a knife.

Unfortunately, Yoongi was now staring disapprovingly at Hoseok who continued to pester Taehyung.

Damn Tae and his crazy theories and supernatural sight.

“Anyways, yeah hyung.” Taehyung continued handing his half of the vegetables to Yoongi. Jimin looked in disbelief, how was he already done?! “They couldn’t find the light to leave this world.”

Jimin rolled his eyes. Of course, Taehyung believed in needing light to leave the world. He’d seen a flashlight in his keychain, that he insisted on carrying around all the time.

“But, why couldn’t they?” Hoseok pressed.

Before Taehyung could answer, Namjoon and Jin entered the kitchen, with Kkanji in tow.

“Guess who brought meat!” Namjoon announced holding bags in the air above his head.

“Meat!” Taehyung shouted happily, running over to look into Namjoon’s bags.

Jimin passed his finished vegetables to Yoongi. Slow and steady wins the race , he thought.

“Thanks.” Yoongi said in his deep tone.

Jimin could listen to it forever.

He wondered what he sounded like with his Daegu accent, probably even hotter!

Jimin blushed as he could imagine Yoongi whispering a Daegu slang rap just for him in his ear.

No way! I would die!

He blinked his thoughts away and instead watched Yoongi cook. His small hands moving quickly, chopping this, stirring that, attempting to slap Hoseok.

Yoongi caught Jimin’s stare and gave a side smirk. Jimin smiled back, attempting his best eye smile. He knew people went crazy over it sometimes.

“Jimin look, meat!” Taehyung called.

Jimin looked at him annoyed. Why must he interrupt this moment?

Meanwhile, Hoseok had begun to crowd Taehyung with questions. “Why couldn’t they find the light? Are they evil? Why?”

Taehyung picked up Kkanji and petted him, ignoring Hoseok.

“I’m going to nap.” He announced, leaving with Kkanji in his arms.

Hoseok watched him go looking helpless, while Jimin didn’t bother a glance. Good riddance .

As much as he loved his friend, the boy was trying to get in the way of Jimin’s love.

He continued to help Yoongi out, as Hoseok full of paranoia and questions could no longer function.


And pretty soon it was dinner time. Jimin walked into their room to wake up Taehyung. He found the boy awake, looking through comics with disinterest.

“Dinner time.”

“I don’t wanna.” Taehyung grumbled.

“Why not?”

It wasn’t like Taehyung to not want to eat. The boy practically inhaled every meal.

Was he sick?

“Because.”

“Because?”

 Because .” Taehyung snapped. “If you’re going to keep making eyes at Yoongi hyung, I don’t want to see!”

 Eyes? ” Jimin touched his eyes for emphasis. Did he really make eyes?

Was it obvious?

Had Yoongi hyung noticed?

“Yes eyes!” Taehyung retorted. “You have a crush.” He pointed at him.

Jimin frowned and crossed his arms.

“Maybe I do.” He replied. “You have a crush on Hoseok!”

“I used to.” Taehyung admitted. “But that was freshman year! I found someone else.”

“And I can’t have one because you don’t anymore?” Jimin asked.

“He probably likes girls.” Taehyung countered.

“I can still have a crush.”

“He probably kisses girls!”

“I can still have a crush.” Jimin insisted.

“He probably sleeps with them and lies to us saying he’s working at night!”

“I can still have a crush on him, you dumbhead!” Jimin practically yelled.

“No, you can’t!”

“You’re not the boss of me!” Jimin yelled, before slamming the door shut.

He stood outside it, fuming.

Who did he think he was?! Telling me who I can and can't like?!

He then heard a smash against the door. He opened it, seeing Taehyung looking distraught.

“Why are you throwing stuff?” Jimin demanded, as he looked behind the door at what had been victim of Taehyung’s wrath.

“I'm not.” Taehyung said.

Jimin spotted the object, it was a picture frame of him and Taehyung.

It was the taken at the beginning of their freshman year, when they became roommates and eventually best friends. This picture had meant a lot to him and Taehyung, it was a symbol of their brotherhood.

“Why would you?” Jimin nearly fought back tears.

What had Taehyung so angry at him?

“I didn’t!” Taehyung also looked grief stricken.

Jimin handed him the frame with a glare, then stormed out. “Clean up the glass!” He added over his shoulder.


Dinner had been especially awkward.

Instead of sitting beside him like a conjoined Siamese twin, Taehyung took a seat on the other side of Jungkook.

Jungkook looked between them, concerned. Jimin met his eye and gave him a look of “ ask him! ”.

Jungkook then went back to eating, preferring not to know.

Jimin helped Jin wash dishes afterward, not eager to go to the room and face Taehyung again so soon. He was still hurt at the boy’s actions.

What could he have against him liking Yoongi?

Was it just petty jealousy? But didn’t he say he already found someone else?

What could it be then?

“You okay?” Jin asked as he handed him a plate to rinse.

Jimin nodded.

“Want to come shopping with me?” Jin offered. “Take your mind off whatever is bothering you?”

“Okay, hyung.”

“Bring Taehyung.” Jin added as he turned off the faucet.

“Nah.”

Jin looked at him confused, then nodded. “Okay, let’s go then.”


“Did something happen?” Jin finally pressed as he and Jimin strolled through the aisles of a grocery store.

“Taehyung’s just being an idiot.” Jimin replied with a shrug. “No big deal.”

Jin smiled. “If you say so.”

He and Jimin placed baking ingredients into the cart. Jin had suddenly came up with the idea of baking a cake seeing as it was Jungkook’s and Namjoon’s birthday soon.

“Hey about last night…”

Jimin stared up at Jin. Last night? Oh!

He recounted what had happened with Jungkook and his weird sleepwalking.

“You think our house is haunted?” Jin wondered aloud. He seemed to be speaking more to himself than Jimin, his eyes lost deep in thought.

Jimin remembered what Namjoon had told them earlier. He quickly dismissed it. “Of course not! It was just Jungkook being weird, I was also half asleep too. I could have been, hallucinating or something!”

Jin seemed reluctant to believe him, but finally nodded after a moment. “If you say so.” He said for the second time that night.

When they came back from shopping Jin stayed behind putting away the groceries, while Jimin retreated to his room. Hopefully, Taehyung would be asleep.

He came back to Hoseok pounding on the door, madly. Jimin looked at him confused, then tried to open the door. It was locked.

Of course, petty Tae at it again.

“Taehyung open the door!” Jimin knocked furiously.

“I need to know why they couldn’t find the light!” Hoseok added.

Jimin sighed when no one answered. He would be sleeping on the couch then.

The door then opened and out came Jungkook with a toothbrush in his mouth. He nodded to Jimin, before looking at Hoseok as if deeply concerned.

“Taehyung answer Hoseok hyung already!” Jimin called.

“No. Leave me alone.”

Jimin rolled his eyes, then muttered a "sorry " to Hoseok, who stumbled away looking dejected. Jimin went in glaring at Taehyung, who was curled up under the blankets.

Jungkook came in and looked at Taehyung, before laying down.

“He’s mad at you.” He pointed with his chin in Taehyung’s direction.

Jimin shrugged as he got into bed.

“Leave him. It’s his own personal choice to be mad.” Jimin added.

 Ughhhh .”

Jimin sat up and walked over to Jungkook tucking him into bed like a child.

“Goodnight, maknae.” He ruffled the younger boy’s hair.

“Goodnight, hyung.” Jungkook smiled up at him, warmly. Jimin wondered how he had been so scared of the boy before, he was harmless. Adorable even. 

As Jimin crawled back under the covers he heard a soft “ Mini?" . 

He smirked and turned to his right.

“What?”

Taehyung looked at him with wide eyes. “What about me?”

Jimin sighed. What about him?

Sure, he was mad at him for disapproving of his crush and breaking their photo, but he wasn’t heartless.

He got up and tucked the boy in. He then went to pet his hair, when Taehyung caught his hand. He gave him a soft smile. It was different than his usual boxy ones, it was more relaxed. Jimin noticed, for the first time, how handsome Taehyung was with the lamp light reflecting on half of his face.

“Yoongi would be lucky to have you.” Taehyung whispered.

Jimin flustered for a second, before saying a quick “ thanks ” and going back to bed.

He closed his eyes.

Why was he freaking out, was because of how Taehyung looked or was it because he seemed so sincere?

Jimin found he couldn’t decide.