Their Past - Tiffany’s past

Childcare Chaos

 

Kitty Yoong, anyone? Meow~
-----_____-----


The little girl got down from her bed carefully, after hearing all the talks and sighs. Slowly, she struggles to open the door slightly to peek outside. Her parents are sitting on the sofa, with few pieces of paper in their hands. Her father is staring at it with a serious yet sad expression. Something she can’t really understand. Ever since they came from America to Korea to live on their own without her grandparents’ support, they had been in this state. Every night, her parents would be frowning at those pieces of paper and sighing, having small talks in between their sighs. In front of her, her parents are always smiling and cheerful. But the moment she goes to sleep, it seems like their grieves came out. From sad to worried, unhappiness could be felt just by looking at their expressions.

 

“Mummy… Daddy… Why are you unhappy?” The little girl got out from her room and approached the two adults who smile instantly after seeing her.

 

“Mm? We’re not, darling. Why aren’t you asleep?” Her mother carries her up and places her on the lap, her hair gently.

 

“I just woke up. But Mummy, you and Daddy look so sad just now..”

 

“You saw it wrongly, Fany ah. Now, let’s put you back in bed.” Her father carried her into the room and put her under the blanket, patting her before going out again. Tiffany pouted as she sits up, not wanting to sleep. She clearly sees that her parents are unhappy but they are denying it thoroughly. Determined to find out the reason, she climbs out of bed again and stands behind the door, listening closely to the conversation between her parents.

 

“Should we borrow from…. Loan sharks…?” Her father spoke.

 

“Dear, think of Fany…. You know we won’t be able to pay back… What if they hurt Fany..?” Her mother replied.

 

“Dear…. We have no choice. We’re going to be bankrupt soon. We need a house for Fany. We can’t let her sleep on the street, can we?”

 

As she listens to the conversation, Tiffany took note of a few words in her mind, remembering it clearly. Hearing footsteps, the little girl runs and jumps back into her bed, pretending to be fast asleep. Indeed, the door open and her mother came in. After pulling the blanket over the little girl carefully, the woman pats the girl gently and went out, closing the door behind her. The little girl could hear the door of her parents’ room opening and closing; indicating that the two of them had went to sleep.

-----

“Fany ah, please stay here for the time being, okay? There are a lot of kids here to play with you. Mummy and Daddy will come and get you soon, okay? Please behave yourself.” The woman hugs the kid tightly, holding in her tears. After saying what she wants, she ran off instantly, leaving the little girl confused.

 

“Unnie, where is Mummy going?” The little girl turns to the lady in charge and asked innocently.

 

“Erm, somewhere far. It’s inconvenient to bring a kid along so you have to stay here for a while, okay? Let’s go and meet the rest if the kids.” After hearing the actual story from Tiffany’s mother, the lady in charge couldn’t help but sigh. Even though the mother promised to come back and get her child back, it’s obvious that it’s not going to happen. Unless miracle happens and they become rich suddenly.

 

“Unnie, what’s a loan shark? I heard Mummy and Daddy talking about it before… A few times. It sounds like something bad.” The little girl asked.

 

“You will understand it in future, Tiffany.” The lady replied, leading her into a room full of children.

-----

After waiting for so long, Tiffany gave up going to the entrance everyday to wait for her parents to come and pick her up. She saw kids coming in, and some going out with their adoptive parents, but never once saw her parents. On the day she decided to give up waiting, she saw a new kid coming in. A blonde kid. Curious about her, Tiffany followed the lady in charge quietly as the lady walks to the room to put down the sleeping blonde girl.

 

“She’s going to be my room mate…” Tiffany murmured as she hides quickly when the lady came out. She went into the room to stare at the blonde girl, before nudging her to wake up.

 

“YAH!” The blonde girl opens her eyes suddenly and shouted, surprising Tiffany greatly.

 

“Ack! I… I’m sorry… I… I… My bed is j… just beside yours so I thought we could be friends….” Tiffany backs away, slightly terrified.

 

“…. Sorry. I’m Jessica. Nice to meet you.” The blonde girl’s expression softens and she held out her hand towards Tiffany, probably because she felt sorry for scaring her.

 

“I’m Tiffany! Nice to meet you!” Tiffany shook Jessica’s hand happily and smiled, revealing a beautiful eye smile that seems to have captivated the blonde girl for a moment.

 

“…. Now, excuse me while I sleep. Bye.” After the handshake, the blonde girl lies down again and fell asleep instantly. Unhappy and bored, Tiffany continues to nudge the girl, determined to wake her up to play with her. For nearly five minutes, the blonde girl lay still and ignored her nudging. But soon, Jessica jumps out from the bed in rage. Knowing that the situation seems bad, Tiffany makes her way out from the room quickly, with the blonde girl chasing behind her. Angrily.