ii

Among Big Shots - Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Im Yoona. A mighty woman towering proudly above the ground, whether she stood still or moved across the beige carpet. She seemed to be in deep thought while reading and analyzing a binder. From time to time, her bent index finger gently tapped , which displayed a match between her red lipstick and matte nail polish, the only gesture to signal any kind of emotions. 

Taecyeon sat carefully in his armchair, anxiously waiting for her to finish. Beads of sweat formed continuously in his neck, which she thankfully couldn't see from her position by the windows behind the desk. Judging by the hands of the gigantic clock on the wall to his right, five minutes had gone since he entered her office and took a seat. Taecyeon began to wonder, did she play mind games with him, testing his abilities to keep calm? It worked… 

"Now," her sweet yet deep voice said, "shall we finally begin?" 

Snapping away from the panoramic views of the city, Taecyeon found Miss Im looking at him from her seat behind the desk. Her chin rested against her crossed fingers while she studied him intensely. The corners of were raised in a confident, almost arrogant smile. As he felt his cheeks heat up, he couldn't stop it and his gaze fell.

When on earth had the woman sat down? Taecyeon hadn't heard a thing! It ought to be impossible, given her 6 inch heels. At least, the chair should've made some kind of noises to warn him when she pulled it out. Not the slightest, though. Either Miss Im moved extremely gracefully, or terrifyingly ghostly. Considering his impressions of her during the last couple of minutes, he began to lean towards the latter. 

"Do you have any questions thus far?" Miss Im asked. He shook his head. She nodded and leaned back to look through a stack of papers in front of her. Taecyeon saw a small image of himself and he figured it was his resume and personal letter. Along with other documents… which she didn't seem to have read beforehand. 

Astoundingly, the woman began to browse a few papers when, in fact, the interview should've started. Hadn't she done her homework? She read too thoroughly to simply refresh her memoy. After a minute or two, her face appeared from behind a bundle of stapled papers. 

"Everything seems to be in order. I'll only ask five questions and if I deem your answers plausible, I'll make a final deliberation. You'll receive an answer by the end of the week, at the latest."

He nodded, "Yes, I understand." 

"Good. Firstly, you should know that our headquarters are in Seoul. However, we have offices in Busan, Daejeon and Gwangju as well. Our network's large and expands throughout East and South Asia, Oceania and Western Europe. It means that you'll travel a lot, with me, of course," Miss Im explained, crossed her arms and leaned against the backrest of her armchair. "How do you feel about travelling?"

Taecyeon thought for a moment, before answering, "As mentioned in my resume, my family and I moved to the US when I was young. It was a good opportunity to learn, and it helped me evolve a great deal. We travelled the world a lot before I returned to South Korea myself. Now, I wish to work abroad in a few years and explore other parts of our planet."

Miss Im nodded thoughtly. "I take it that you will not mind landing in one city, only to travel to another a dozen hours later." 

"No. From what I currently know, it might be tiring when it happens. But, I think it will be a valuable experience in the industries I want to reach. To always stay on my toes and be alert, ready to act and handle any crisis or change."

She straigthened her back and rested her chin in a hand. "Speaking of travelling, onto my next question. Imagine that you have reached London during the 19th century and accidentally learn of plans to assassinate Queen Victoria. What do you do?"

The question caught him by surprise and an eyebrow rose in confusion. He certainly did not understand how she could assess his qualifications by gaining insight into to his counterattack against planned murder of a historical sovereign. 

"First off, I would investigate how I reached 19th century London. Second, I would look into how to stop the murderous schemes. Third, I would try to befriend the queen. Fourth, I would try to get home."

A corner of moved up, seemingly due to amusement. Because of what reason, Taecyeon had no idea. He was beginning to wonder if, perhaps, applying for the position as her secretary was against better judgement. Their personalities didn't seem to quite fit. Especially given her next question. 

"What is your spirit animal?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter