iv

Among Big Shots - Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A grunt from the depth of his currently still stomach escaped his lips as Taecyeon slowly awoke. His eyelids fluttered before squeezing shut tightly. It was too light, wherever he lay. Plus, the more he came to, the stronger a pounding grew in his head. It seemed to run from his forehead and inwards. He quickly tried to find a comfortable position and fall asleep again, hoping to wake up to a calmer, more peaceful state of mind. 

However, as much as Taecyeon craved and needed darkness and silence, his body wouldn't comply. For some reason, his attention fell to the beating of his heart, solid and strong against his ribcage, which in turn intensified his headache. It didn't concern him, though, as it was a sign of what he had expected the previous night: a hangover. 

Yes, truth be told, Taecyeon felt and knew that he was hung over. The symptoms were clear and he began to recall that his current state of physical nausea had been in demand. But, naturally, Taecyeon condemned the stupid decision to place himself in such a situation. Excess drinking always seemed to be a good idea in the heat of the moment, only to turn out to be the exact opposite after a few comforting hours of sleep. 

Turning around slowly from stomach to his right side, Taecyeon forced an eye to open and check the time. Usually, his alarm clock, a loyal companion of his since the days in high school, stood proud by the edge of his nightstand. But, now, the little guy wasn't anywhere to be seen. Taecyeon let his eyelids close again and managed to frown, despite his headache, upon the thought of moving again. It already hurt badly, everywhere. Laying still helped him handle it. Nevertheless, he realized that he had to act and began the agonizing journey of propping himself up on his bed. 

Because it truly was a challenge. With the strength of a bull and the tenacity of a mule, Taecyeon pressed his forearm into the mattress and his upper body into a sitting position. Not without many grunts and frowns, though. His head wasn't too happy to be upright and his shoulders as well as back were stiff, due to reasons he couldn't remember. After placing his feet on the floor, he bent over and placed his face in his hands. Consolatory, to say the least. Yet, the obscurity didn't help him to rise. 

Instead, Taecyeon ignored the wish to turn back and lay down. Something, perhaps instincts, told him that he was in dire need to check the time. Or, get up and start the day, at least. Whatever it was that made him restless, it told him to take action. 

Conceding with the mysterious force of will, Taecyeon stood up, slightly wobbly, and headed towards the door. His eyes remained closed, yet he found his way forward. It helped control the nauseous feeling of gag since he most certainly didn't want to vomit. But, his power over his intestines lessened the more he moved and Taecyeon quickened his speed. 

Once he reached it, Taecyeon grabbed the handle and threw his door into the wall. Only to find a hunchbacked Chansung covered in his duvet in the corridor outside. Both yelled simultaneously. The fright made Taecyeon shield his  chest and his heart hammer. Luckily, and strangely, though, it rid him of the physical repulsion that had threatened to see the day of light a moment earlier. 

"Way to greet a friend," Taecyeon spoke under his breath and glared at the youngster, who wrapped his duvet around his torso as if a towel. In response, his friend rolled his eyes and held up a phone while covering the microphone. A split second later, Taecyeon recognized the device as his. 

Before he could ask, Chansung cut him off and explained, "It woke me up. I answered to make it stop, and…". 

Since it took his friend a while to continue the story, Taecyeon felt that a lump at the bottom of his abdomen started to form. The difference from previously, however, was that queasiness didn't act as basis. 

"And?" he wondered, pressing Chansung for more information. Oftentimes, it wasn't a good sign if somebody let their sentence fade midway. It only meant that bad news would come. 

His friend sighed and put forth the phone, still cupping the microphone, towards Taecyeon. "It's for you." 

No , Sherlock, Taecyeon thought and took the instrument from his friend's hands. Chansung grabbed his shoulder and squeezed tightly, looking him deeply in the eyes. The kid seemed to believe that it was a matter of life and death, which only annoyed Taecyeon. Could the man disappear to let him discover what the call concerned? 

"It's your final chance. Don't fail," hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter