xii

Among Big Shots - Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With a thump, Taecyeon closed the trunk of the car. He, then, looked towards the open door. 

"Chansung, I'm going. Last chance to get a hug," the man lured and opened his arms toward the roommate, who leaned against the doorframe. With arms crossed and pouting lips, he frowned deeply while looking away. Surely, Chansung embodied his childish natures. 

"No," he spat. "I won't."

Taecyeon released his fifth sigh within 20 minutes and removed himself from the automobile. He knew that the vehicle triggered his roommate, because the latter was not happy when he learned that Taecyeon travelled through the city in a limousine. Actually, the youngster had gone into a fit. Most likely due to jealousy.

Not quite surprisingly, it fit in well with his friend's personality. Taecyeon expected it. However, it didn't mean he accepted his behavior.

"Are you coming or not, son? Because I'm leaving," he said, changing from a motherly approach to the father figure. Someone had to be the adult in their relationship and set the boundaries.

Gladly, it worked. Although the pouting remained, Chansung left the door and came to Taecyeon.

Welcoming his roommate, Taecyeon embraced him to say goodbye, which was returned through a tighter hold. The lad's head rested on his shoulder and Taecyeon patted him on the crown and back. Before laying his chin against it, he dared to peck the puffy crown of hair tickling his jaw. Apparently, it was appreciated. Chansung didn't protest, anyhow.

"See you soon, buddy. Take care of yourself and don't burn down the house," he mumbled.

In reply, the lad nodded. A moment later, a sob escaped before they began to release each other, which surprised Taecyeon. Touched, he patted his friend on the cheek.

Giving him a final gaze in the eyes and a gentle smile, Taecyeon entered the car. It was time to go. He suspected that he began to run late. After he had shut the door, the chauffeur instantly took off, fast yet smoothly.

By looking through the back window, Taecyeon saw a lonely figure staring as they went, growing smaller and smaller, which struck a heartstring. As souvenirs, he promised to buy plenty of ramen for the lad. It would hopefully make his buddy happy.

The ride went through traffic quickly. Probably because the man in the backseat spaced out. Despite what he said during the interview with Miss Im, he wasn't sure if he could handle it. Travelling, to be precise. Especially not if it meant leaving in the middle of the night. Taecyeon would've preferred to tuck into bed, or have a drink with his mates. Nope, the boss had other plans. Since she had said otherwise, it was best to follow her wishes.

However, the man had begun to wonder for how much longer he would be able to take orders without having a say in the matter. In fact, he had started to count the days and it was saddening to know that less than a full week had passed since they hired him. Could he handle another week? Did the problem stem from the lady for whom he worked, or was it the industry, perhaps? He didn't know and he wondered if he would last long enough to find out. Because Taecyeon could very well imagine himself quitting in a fit of frustration or anger. At the current pace, it might happen within the following week even.

"We've arrived, sir," the chauffeur announced. It woke Taecyeon from his thoughts. Looking through the window, he learned that it was correct. With a deep exhale, he opened the door and left the limousine. Only to find himself outside of the doors of the airport.

As if on cue, his phone started to vibrate in his pocket. Surprised, Taecyeon found the miss calling him. For a moment, his thumb hovered above the screen and prevented him from answering. He didn't fully know why. But, it was clear that he hesitated. Presumably due to the thoughts that had circled through his mind during the ride.

Eventually, though, he slid the finger across the display and pressed the speaker against his ear.

"Yes, Miss Im?" he greeted.

"Finally," the lady retorted. "I've been informed that you've reached the airport. Seohyun and I have entered the airplane. After you check in, a member of the staff will guide you. Once you've boarded, we'll take off. Understood?"

Despite the fact that she couldn't see him, Taecyeon nodded. "Yes, miss."

"Good. We'll see each other soon, then."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter