xix

Among Big Shots - Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning came and it wasn't as dramatic as the previous night. On the other hand, it was calm and quiet. Except for Chansung's loud snores from the living room, everything was alright. Nothing particularly out of order.

Well, except for the fact that Taecyeon was awake. After only five hours of sleep. He wanted to kill himself. 

For some reason, his night had been rather nervous and anxious. He had been fatigued to his bones when he hit the bed. Yet, apparently, it hadn't been enough to keep him asleep for at least 12 hours straight. It was pure insane and he hated himself the more time passed without sleep nearing. 

Eventually, he decided to give up. The slightest sound annoyed him. From Chansung's repeated snoring to speeding cars and chirping birds outside. Each disturbance increased his anger until the point when Taecyeon wanted to scream into his pillow. What was the point, though? He might as well grab something to eat. Since he was a weakling to food, it ought to calm him enough to make him fall asleep again due to coma. 

But, when he snuck past Chansung in the living room and entered the kitchen, he couldn't recall that he had seen anything to stick his teeth into hours earlier after he arrived home. True to his suspicions, the duo had an empty refrigerator. Only leftover pizza. Something that didn't tickle his appetite the least. Who knew how old it was? 

Okay, technically only two days tops. It wasn't there when he left, meaning that Chansung bought it either the same night or yesterday before Taecyeon arrived home. He could eat it.

Nevertheless, Taecyeon exited the kitchen and headed to his bedroom to grab a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants. With keys and his phone, the man headed out of the front door and shut it behind him. The thought of noodles wouldn't leave his mind. He felt drawn to something more homemade, with a personal touch to it, than pizza. Instead, Chansung could have it. 

The sun struck his eyes the moment Taecyeon stepped out onto the street. It was a bright Sunday morning with few up and about. Only a handful of pet owners padded the neighborhood. Most shops and commerce were still closed. Except for the corner store, where Taecyeon bought a bottle of cold water. It tasted fresh and he drank it without stopping for air. 

After recycling the plastic container, Taecyeon headed to the single place he knew was open and wouldn't disappoint him. It lay in the corner of a nearby park that he and the boys frequented often, whether sober, tipsy or drunk as well as on weekdays as weekends. Heck, they had spent many hours discussing work and sport, as well as eating away heartbreaks.

Publicly, it was seen as a small and old street food tent. To him and the boys, however, it was a hidden diamond filled with good and nostalgic memories of times that had passed. 

"Good morning, Mrs Son," Taecyeon greeted when he five minutes later walked in and took a seat under the roof of her tent. The old woman, wrinkled and tanned from hours long shifts in the sun, nodded in return. 

, japchae"Can I have some hoeddok and samgyetang, please?" 

Mrs Son, who sat on a stool that overlooked the park, stood up and headed to her kitchen. It didn't take her long to begin working her magic and roar through the many pans, knives and ingredients that nearly brimmed the small area. 

She was a unique woman. Nine out of ten times, a regular street stall offered and sold street food – nothing weird or funny about it. On the contrary, it was delicious most often. However, Mrs Son was one of a kind since she cooked proper meals difficult and rare to find elsewhere. It was as if Taecyeon had entered a restaurant or her personal kitchen. 

The more time passed, the more he felt the fantastic aromas rising and spreading into the air as he happily waited. It managed to calm him and subdue the anger since previously. Mrs Son worked impeccably fast, as though she was ten persons in one form. Taecyeon could very well imagine the lucky children who had grown up with her as their mother, possibly grandmother as well. Boy, eating her food every single day. What a treat! 

Before Taecyeon had succeeded to take a look around the park, to see what happened during the wee hours, a plate landed in front of him. The sound nicked his neck forward again in anticipation. Next, to more plates came into view and Taecyeon quickly reached out to grab them from the old woman's grasp. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter