xxi

Among Big Shots - Hiatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Thank you," Taecyeon said for the last time and shut the door behind him, before the chauffeur sped into the night with her taxi. 

A sigh escaped his nose when Taecyeon looked towards the flower boutique in front of him. Given the scenery shown through the massive windows, the man could tell that he had many choices to make… boy, was he excited, or what? 

Oh, well, all he could do by now was to take the bull by the horns. 

Fifteen minutes, the man left the shop with a large bouquet wrapped in a brown paper bag in his possession. It had cost a lot more than he had predicted, which could probably be explained by his total incompetence. Since he didn't know what Miss Im liked or disliked, Taecyeon was forced to face endless rows of questions in order to narrow down the selection, making it easy for the florist to build the price. Because, he didn't believe that the young woman had been working in his favor, economically speaking…

Either way, Taecyeon did presume, though, that Miss Im would appreciate the final results. The bouquet was a canvas of colorful explosions. It smelled quite nice as well. Heck, he even dared to imagine that the woman would cherish the overall gesture. Who could have thought that the secretary would purchase flowers for his director? 

Still, it didn't prevent subconscious worries to gnaw at his mind. What if she didn't like it? Perhaps the woman would take precautions towards him from hereon or have him fired even. He might be branded a ual predator, a reputation that would follow him for years to come when applying for new jobs. It was a nightmare to barely consider. 

In order to prevent the anxiety from taking over his mind and corrupt his bravery, Taecyeon inhaled deeply as he passed the last crosswalk before reaching his final destination. Somewhat, it helped him to gain focus and put it towards the massive hospital in front of him. 

With help from his dear friend Nichkhun, the man had managed to find out where Miss Im was, since Seohyun hadn't been willing. Not that he understood why. It only caused more suspicions. Particularly on his part.

Learning of her whereabouts wasn't a relief, though, when it involved the name of a famous hospital. On the other hand, the piece of information intensified his worries as well as the determination to discover the truth. But, it cleared the situation a little, though, and Taecyeon didn't stand without choices anymore. 

Having sent a thought of gratitude to his friend, Taecyeon took a deep breath before he walked to the entrance of the hospital. Other visitors did the same, as well as former and new patients. Despite the late hour, the area was quite lively. Nevertheless, it was expected given the role that the building played in society. People needed medical aid around the clock. 

Due to constant presence of other individuals, it managed to keep the increasing butterflies in his stomach at bay. At least, he didn't feel them as much when his attention was drawn elsewhere. It eased the process of strategizing his visit. Taecyeon found his next step leading to the reception, where he could announce his presence. 

Guiding himself towards the massive counter, Taecyeon found himself reminded of his first day with Im Media. It hadn't been particularly different. Especially when he was greeted by three nurses dressed in matching uniforms in white. 

"Evening, sir. How can I be of help?" the one who sat in the chair closest to him. 

Quickly, Taecyeon explained the reason behind his visit, and asked for Miss Im's room. As he waited for the nurse to check his information, his nervous heart fluttered as though a hummingbird. She would appreciate the gesture, Taecyeon was sure.

After the matter of a second, however, the excited feeling died. 

"My apologies, sir. Im Yoona has been discharged and left the premises," the nurse announced before she looked up. Her gaze travelled from his eyes to his chest, where he held the bouquet. When they returned to meet his eyes, Taecyeon noticed the pity. 

Yeah, not a particularly good sign for his pride… 

"Understood," he smiled politely. Following a nod in appreciation for her help and as a goodbye, Taecyeon turned around and left, seemingly untouched by the news.

Once outside, standing on the side of the entrance, he noticed that his fingertips twitched and his legs felt heavy. His neck and shoulders hung while he stared into the ground. Clueless of what to do, he grasped his phone and dialed the last person he spoke to, according to his list. 

"Nichkhun, hey. It's me, buddy," he muttered for a greeting when his friend answered. 

"Seeing that you call me when you're supposed to be with Yoona, I take it that it didn't go well," was his friends response. When Taecyeon neither confirmed nor dismissed the notion,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter