Chapter 20

We Used To Be In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wow! You're fast for someone who hates sports" Nichkhun panted as soon as he spotted Tiffany standing in the middle of the gymnasium.

Tiffany finally turned around and frowned at him.

"I'm leaving" she decided. It was no use staying in the same place with him.

"W-wait! Where are you going Fany ah?" Nichkhun caught her wrist before she could leave the gym.

"Let me go!" Tiffany tried to loosen his grip but he didn't even budge.

"I want us to talk" Nichkhun begged. He has so many things he wanted to ask her. He wanted to know if she's already married...or is she seeing someone right now....or maybe even about their baby? He wanted to know the truth of why she faked her death and he really hoped their child made it through the accident too.

"There's nothing to talk about anymore. There's no more us" Tiffany pleaded too.

He could see the desperation in her eyes. It was as if she is hiding something big from him.

"Tell me the truth Fany ah" he uttered slowly.

"I-I don't kn-" Tiffany stuttered but was cut off by Nichkhun.

"Why would you fake your death? And what happened to our child? Did the child die or did you fake it's death too?" his words are like a dagger being stabbed repeatedly onto her chest.

Tiffany breathed out a heavy sigh before looking into his eyes. She knew he would eventually ask about their child and she has prepared herself for this moment.

"O-our child did not make it"

Nichkhun felt his tears on the brink of falling. He dared himself to ask again.

"Then why did you fake your death?" his voice came out as a whisper. The feeling of losing a child came rushing in. He didn't even get to hold the baby.

"That's not important right now Oppa. I've told you about our child and even if I explain everything, it won't change the fact that we are not meant for each other. You have Rose and Chloe now so please just forget about me and don't ever try to look for me again" Tiffany said sternly and finally he loosened his grip.

"I hope you live happily with your family. I will make sure we don't stumble into each other again" Tiffany said her final words before leaving.

Nichkhun finally broke down. He lost his child and he's losing Tiffany, the only girl he loved and will only love until forever. He's experiencing the same heartache all over again but this time, it was not because of an accident. It was Tiffany who doesn't want him anymore.
-----------------------------------------------------------
At the Hwang's Mansion:

Stephanie locked herself in her bedroom ever since she got back from her 'forced lunch date' with Nichkhun. She didn't bother to tell Sunny that she won't be going back to work for the day.

She thought back to her conversation with Nichkhun earlier. She felt guilty for lying to him but she had no choice. She doesn't want to give any high hopes to him or even herself. There's no chance for them to be together anymore so why bother telling him about Zachary?

It will only complicates things. He has his own responsibility so there's no need to add another one. She is still very much alive and capable of looking after their son.

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

Stephanie groaned and forced herself out of bed. She walked towards her vanity desk and took out her phone from her bag.

She cleared before answering the call.

"Steph! Where are you?! I've been worried sick since you didn't answer any of my calls"

Stephanie had to move away from the phone as Sunny's voice pierced through her eardrum.

"I'm sorry Sunny. I'm not feeling well so I'm taking the day off" Stephanie felt guilty yet she needs some time alone.

"Ah I see. You could have inform me so that I wouldn't worry like crazy"

"I'm really sorry. I didn't hear your calls earlier. Will you be okay working alone?"

"Yeah I'll be fine. Let me know if you need more time to rest. I'll find someone to help me out"

"Okay thanks Sunny"

"No problem Steph. See ya!"

Stephanie shuts her phone and went back to bed. She decided to have some shut eye to calm her mind.

As she was about to drift off to dreamland, a knock interrupted her.

"Come in" she hollered but kept her eyes shut.

"Steph, I need to talk to you" Mr Hwang said with a serious tone.

"Appa, I'm tired. Can't we talk later tonight?" Stephanie pulled the blanket until it covered her whole body and face.

"Alright.....Are you okay?" he asked softly.

"I just want to be alone for now"

Mr Hwang understood and left. As he shuts the door, Zachary came running towards him.

"Harabeoji~ I'm bored. Can we go out?" he pouted.

"Just the two of us?  You don't want to bring your mummy along?" Mr Hwang chuckled.

"Mummy is at home? I haven't seen her all day"

"Yeah she's in her room" he pointed. Zachary looked at the closed door of Stephanie's bedroom and then at his grandfather.

"Let's not disturb her. Can you bring me to the book store harabeoji?" he grinned.

"Okay" Mr Hwang carried the kid. He descended down the stairs.

"Amanda, I'm going out for a little while. Do you mind looking after Stephanie for me?" Mr Hwang said as soon as he spotted his wife at the kitchen.

Amanda turned around and gave her husband a confused look.

"Why?  What happened to Steph?"

"She looked a little pale and weak when I went to check up on her earlier"

"Alright. I'll go upstairs and see for myself. Where are you two going?"

"We're going to the bookstore haelmoni" Zachary said enthuastically.

"Alright. You two have fun" Amanda waved at them as soon as Mr Hwang's car left the mansion.
-----------------------------------------------------------
At XXX bookstore:

"Harabeoji, look at this!" Zachary said out loud as he held a photo album with a drawing of a happy family at the front cover.

Mr Hwang stared at it and then at the child. He knows the kid is longing for his father but there's nothing much he could do.

"Hmm...that looks cute. Do you want to buy it?" Mr Hwang asked.

"I would like to but I have no pictures to put in here" he pouted sadly. He placed the photo album back on the shelf and continue to roam around the huge bookstore.

Mr Hwang sighed. When he was about to chase after Zachary, a familiar voice greeted him from behind.

"Long time no see Daejun"

He turned around and his eyes met those pair of eyes he fell for, a very long time ago.

"C-Chaerin?" he gulped.

"Yes it's me. I'm impressed that you still remember me" the lady smirked.

"Erh...a-are you here alone?" Mr Hwang looked behind her but found no one.

"Yes, I came to get some cooking books but never thought I would meet you instead. Do you have time right now?"

"I-I..." Mr Hwang looked behind him but couldn't see Zachary anywhere.

"If you have time, let's go to a nearby cafe and chat. I have so much to ask you" she smiled meaningfully.

"Actually I'm here with my grandson" Mr Hwang stated, his nervousness just disappears.

"Oh....."

Suddenly, Zachary came running towards Mr Hwang with a storybook in his grasp.

"Harabeoji, I want to buy this!" he jumped up and down.

"Calm down Zach, I'll buy it for you" Mr Hwang took the book and read the title 'My Happy Family'. He sighed inwardly.

"Is this your grandson? He's so adorable" Chaerin smiled sweetly and patted Zachary's head.

"Who is this harabeoji?" Zachary looked up at Chaerin and frowned. He held tightly onto his grandfather's shirt.

"Erm...why don't we find a cafe first?" Mr Hwang quickly said and took Zachary's hand.

"Sure. I'll wait for you outside" Chaerin said and left the store.

After paying for the book, the both of them met Chaerin outside the store. Together they walked towards a cafe just in front of the bookstore.

Mr Hwang ordered cake for Zachary and told him to sit at a different table. He doesn't want the kid to listen to their conversation.

After the two of them ordered, Mr Hwang took a sip of his coffee.

"So, tell me Chaerin why are you really here? I know it's not a coincidence. You followed me here didn't you?" Mr Hwang opened his mouth to ask first. He glared at the lady in front of him who seems to be very calm.

"I can see you're not that stupid after all. So, you can guess why I'm really here right?" she smirked.

"Is this about Stephanie? She's not seeing your son anymore so don't worry" Mr Hwang sighed.

"Are you sure about that? You came here only a few days ago with your wife, son and daughter. What do you know?" she raised an eyebrow at him.

"Chaerin, it's been 6 years. You made my daughter hate Nichkhun and you think she would find him again? You created a big lie and separated the two of them..."

"I know! All my plans never fails so I'm going to warn you again this time. Tell your daughter to stay away from my son" she spat.

"My daughter would never meet Nichkhun without telling me! How can you be so sure that it's not Nichkhun who wants my daughter back?"

"Here's the proof!" Chaerin slammed a brown envelope onto the table and stood up.

"I want you and your family to stay away. I don't want to see your face or even any one of your family's face ever again. I will not hesitate to hurt Stephanie or your grandson if ever they tried to come close to my son again" Chaerin warned before leaving Mr Hwang dumbfounded.

He l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter