My best friend.

Last Gift.

 

My feet hung two iches above the the dirt floor. I was gripping onto the chains, sighing several times as I waited for Jonghyun. 

I was sitting on my usual spot -- in the playground where I used to play when I was younger. I used to come here whenever I felt sad, and most of the times, Jonghyun had been there for me.

"Hey," I heard a voice call out. My head snapped up and I looked behind me. I smiled as I saw Jonghyun walking towards me, both hands inside his pockets. 

"Hey!" I greeted back, standing immediately and running towards him. I pulled him into a tight hug. He seemed surprised since he froze, but eventually, he loosened up and hugged me back.

"I missed you," I whispered. "I haven't seen you in two years. Where on earth have you been?" I asked, pulling away from him.

He smiled and walked towards the swing. He sat and started pushing the swing back and forth with his feet. I chuckled and sat on the other swing -- the one beside him. "I've been.. busy." He said.

"Busy?" I raised an eyebrow. "With what? Working out?" I asked.

Jonghyun had come from a rich family -- he's the only son, therefore the only heir to his family's company. But unlike Jinki, he's not working. His parents are still running the company, and so he's free to do whatever he wants.

"Maybe," He shrugged. That's when he turned to me. "So, what's the problem?" 

I bit my lip as I looked down again. I cleared my throat. "Do you know anything about.." I hesitated. What should I call her? Luna? Sunyoung? "..About Onew's past relationships?" 

He raised an eyebrow. "Why the sudden question?" 

"I.." I sighed. There's no point in hiding this from him. "Well.. I--We sort of ran into someone.. She said.. She said that she was supposed to be Jinki's wife.." 

"Ahh.." He said, returning to his original position -- facing front and swinging back and forth. "You met Luna?" 

"You know her?" 

"Of course I do," He said. "Everyone does." 

I frowned. "Well, everyone except me." 

"It might be better if you don't know her, Sica." He said. "She's just someone from Onew's past. Nothing more." 

"But Jonghyun--"

"If you really want to know who she is, you should ask Onew. I'm not the right person to tell you those things." He said. "I'm really sorry.."

I pouted and sighed. "Fine.." I muttered. "But, can you answer one question?" I asked, looking at him. I pouted, with my palms pressed together, indicating a more anxious pleading.

He sighed. "Depends on what question." He shrugged.

"Why.. Didn't they work out?" I asked.

He kept quiet for a while, probably thinking whether or not to answer my question. After about a minute, I thought he decided not to answer my question, and I was about to open my mouth to beg him again when he started talking.

"Luna.." He said, "Ran away."

"Ran away from what?" I asked.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Yah," He exclaimed. "I clearly heard you say 'one question.' " 

I crossed my arms and turned away from him. "Fine, be like that." 

I heard him chuckle. "I don't see your car anywhere." He said, changing topic. "How'd you get here?" 

"I took a cab."

"Why didn't you drive here?"

"I let Yunho oppa drive Yoogeun home."

"Oh, how's hyung?"

"Fine." I answered, still not looking at him. Maybe if I pretend to be pissed off, he'll answer my questions. But though he had just read my thoughts, he stood up and sat infront of me, his chin resting on his hands as he looked at me eye-to-eye and said, "Look, I may not have seen you for two years, but that doesn't change the fact that I know you better than anyone else does." He stood up and ruffled my hair. "C'mon, I'll walk you home." 

"That's it?" I asked, looking up. "We haven't met for two years and this is all you'll tell me?" 

"As of now, yes." He said, shrugging. "We don't have much time anyway. It's almost night time, and I'm sure your family is waiting for you. We can hang out some other time. Just.. Send me a message or something. I'm always free." 

I groaned. "Yeah, but I'm not." 

"Then I'll go and drop by your office next time." He smiled and reached out his hand to help me stand up. 

"I hate you," I jokingly said as I grabbed his hand and stood up. I sighed and looked at the sky. "I missed this place.. It brings back a lot of memories.." 

"Yah, Jung--I mean, Lee Sooyeon, hurry up!" He shouted like, six feet away from me. 

"YAH! YOU WEREN'T LISTENING TO ME?!" I shouted back and ran after him. "WAIT FOR ME!!" 

I can't believe he's making me walk my way back home. But, seeing how there's no car around, I'm guessing he walked his way here too.

Eitherway, I'm glad to have seen him. After two years, I've finally seen my best friend again, and we have so much catching-up to do.

And I still have a lot of questioning to do.