Don't Lie.

Last Gift.

“Alright,” I threw my bag on the bed and folded my arms across my chest. “Give me one good reason on why I should defend you and not feel bad.” I was clearly not very happy with what he had done. Not only did it ruin my mood, it ruined our son’s mood—and game as well.

Onew sighed and lowered his head, scratching the back of neck. He was unable to say anything, which led to me getting even more furious. “Do you see what happened? We were supposed to have fun today. You, me, and Yoogeun. How could you mess this up, Jinki? Did you see how disappointed your son was when he scored those goals only to see that his appa wasn’t there?”

“I’m sorry,” Onew closed his eyes. “I didn’t mean for it to happen. It’s just that work—“

“Don’t lie.”

Onew seemed to be taken aback with my words. He looked up and saw that I was staring at him—obviously not buying (or rather, not going to buy) what he’s saying. “Your secretary? Really, Jinki? Who is this person, and why is he or she so important that you didn’t only miss your son’s football game, you’re also lying to your wife right this instant?”

I had that cold tone and yet my voice was still rather calm—but Onew can probably tell that I was doing my best to stay relaxed as it was almost night time and I didn’t want to wake the already-sleeping Yoogeun up.

“Don’t tell me that your secretary had called, Jinki. I’m not buying any of those lies again. Don’t tell me it’s work-related either because I’m pretty sure that you’ve informed everyone in the company that today is the day—which rarely happens, by the way—that you go out with your family. Besides, even if it were important, what your secretary would do was send you a message, not call you. Now tell me—and don’t think about lying this time because I swear, things aren’t going to be pretty if you do—who it was.”

Onew seemed to be contemplating about this very well. He was nibbling on his lowerlip for a few seconds before he breathed out a heavy sigh. “Sunyoung.”

Hearing that name immediately lit something up inside me. I wanted to grab whatever was closest to my reach and throw it at his face. But I clenched my teeth and waited for him to continue, as he seemed to have noticed how stiff I got and just waited for me to do something. Upon realizing that I had no intention to move or say something, he reluctantly continued speaking.

“S-Sunyoung was the one who called. Sh-she said she needed help with something and that only I could help her—“

I didn’t wait for him to finish. I didn’t need to hear this anyway. Just the fact that it was her—that he missed Yoogeun’s game and disappointed our son because of her—it pissed me off. It made me really angry that listening to anything more he head to say might just make me hit him.

I my heel and headed for the door. Onew didn’t even stop me. He probably knew that stopping me would only worsen things.  From the corner of my eye, I saw his head hanging low and right before I shut the door behind me, he let out another sigh. He’s sleeping by himself tonight.


I sat in my office, staring blankly into empty space as I nibbled on my fingernail. I sighed for what seemed to be the nth time that day because I can’t think of what to do. It’s been a week and Onew and I are still not talking. I can see how hard he’s trying to make it up to Yoogeun, though. He wakes up extra early and cooks the boy breakfast, wake him up and take him to school, finish work early and pick Yoogeun up from school before they have a father and son outing even just for an hour or two.

Shutting my eyes, I let out another sigh and rested my head on my desk. “Am I being too hard on him?” I whispered to myself with a pout.

The telephone rang, resulting to me suddenly sitting up straight and slightly jumping due to shock. I picked it up and waited for whatever it is my secretary was going to say. “Vice President, President Lee is here.”

My eyes widened. Onew? “My husband?” I asked because why would he go here at this moment? I checked my watch.

“Yes, Vice President.”

“Oh,” I muttered. I took a deep breath and nodded to myself. “Okay, let him in.” I hung up and stared at the door—it opened after a few seconds and Onew slowly walked in with two paper bags in hand. He smiled a little and greeted me.

“Hey,” He said, obviously a bit hesitant and nervous.

I raised an eyebrow and closed the folder in front of me. “Hi. What brings you here at this time?”

He raised the paper bags he was holding and smiled sheepishly. “I was thinking that maybe we could eat lunch together. I bought your favorite.”

I stared at him for a good two minutes and sighed, pushing my chair backwards and nodding. “Okay, I’m a bit hungry.”

He smiled widely, like he was expecting that I would reject him and send him out, and I tried to hold back my laughter because that expression of his always amuses me. I walked towards one of the sofas and pat the table. He followed after me and sat on the other sofa, carefully bringing the food out.

Everything was actually quiet. The only thing that can be heard was the clanking of the spoons and chopsticks against the container. “Thank you,” Onew suddenly said. I looked at him and stared, as if waiting for a continuation, but he didn’t say anything else after that. Instead, he brought up a piece of meat near my mouth and started feeding me.

Come to think of it, it’s been a while since we last ate together like this—without talking about work, or our problems. With him even spoon feeding me like this. I smiled a little because I’ve almost forgotten how sweet Onew is. When we finally finished eating, he fixed everything and even wiped my mouth for me.

“Thanks,” I said in a soft voice.

“Anything for you.” He smiled and stood up, straightening his clothes. “Then.. I’ll go back to work now. Thanks for having lunch with me.”

I nodded and stood up as well. “Thanks for bringing lunch here, and for feeding me.” I chuckled a little and turned to go back to my table when I heard shuffling and then felt arms wrapping around me.

“I’m sorry, Sica..” I froze and felt my heart racing a little. “I already told Sunyoung to stop contacting me and lately, she really has left me alone. I’ll make it up to you and Yoogeun. I won’t disappoint the both of you anymore. Seeing how hurt you two were before, it broke my heart. I can’t handle that. I love you two so much. You guys are my world—my everything. I’ll be a better person for you and for our son.” He then planted a kiss on my head and let go before leaving.