Football.

Last Gift.

The drive home was quiet and.. awkward. The only thing that can be heard was the roaring of the engine (and maybe Jonghyun exhaling very loudly through his nose everytime a car would cut in front of us).

When we finally came to a stop, I was surprised to see Onew standing in front of the gate. With a sigh, I pushed the door open and got down.

Onew immediately ran towards me. “Sica, where have you been? Why didn’t you tell you were leaving, where you were going?”

“I’m pretty sure Luna already did.” I mumbled and turned around before smiling at Jonghyun. “Hey, thanks.”

Jonghyun shrugged and half-smiled. “No problem.”

“Eomma?”

All our heads turned to the source of the voice, only to find Yoogeun with sleepy eyes and messy hair standing inside the gate. He was holding his teddybear on one arm and was rubbing his eyes with the other.

“Baby,” I smiled and walked towards him, picking him up. “Did we wake you up from sleep?” I frowned and kissed his cheek.

He shook his head. “I was going to go to your room and sleep with you and appa because I had a nightmare, but the both of you weren’t there.”

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned to Onew.

“I was waiting for you,” Onew answered as if he had read my mind. “I was going to go after you but I couldn’t leave Yoogeun alone.”

“Jonghyun-samchon!” Yoogeun greeted and waved at Jonghyun. Jonghyun waved back with a smile. “Annyeong, Yoogeun. Go to bed, okay? Samchon’s going to leave already. Goodnight!”

Yoogeun nodded. “Neh, goodnight, samchon!”

“I’m going to take him inside already.” I announced before looking at Jonghyun once more. “Hey, you left your car at the café? How are you—“

“Don’t worry about it,” He shook his hand in the air. “I can take a cab from here to the café. Go on in. See you next time.”

I frowned and nodded. “Okay.” Yoogeun yawned and embraced me so I decided to get inside the gate. I closed the door slightly, so that Onew wouldn’t have to open it again later, but froze.

“T-thanks.” I heard Onew say. Jonghyun was probably on his way to leaving because Onew sounded as if he wanted Jonghyun to hear him or something.

It took Jonghyun a while to answer, but his answer surprised me, and I’m sure Onew was caught off-guard too.

“Didn’t I tell you to take care of her?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Why can’t you fix things between you and Luna? Why must you let Sica suffer like this?”

Onew sighed. “I was going to, I just couldn’t find the time—“

“Just do it, okay? Don’t let Sica get hurt anymore. Or else—“ Jonghyun sighed. “Nevermind. I’m leaving.”

“Or else what?” Onew shouted a bit too loud a few seconds later.

He never got an answer.

So did I.


“You worried?” I asked Yoogeun as he fiddled with his fingers awkwardly behind us. “Don’t worry, I know you’ll do great.”

“But eomma what if—“

“Baby.” Onew said as he turned the steering wheel. “No matter what happens, you will still be the best player for us, okay? Just do your best and enjoy the game. Your eomma and I will be there for you. Can’t you see we even wore the same uniform as your team?” He laughed.

Yoogeun smiled a bit. “Neh, appa.”

When we finally arrived at their opponent’s school, I let Yoogeun go with his teammates while Onew and I brought down the snacks and drinks we brought for the team.

“Ah, thank you so much,” Yoogeun’s coach bowed. “Yoogeun had always wanted the both of you to watch, especially his dad.” He turned to Onew who smiled.

Onew’s phone started to ring just when Yoogeun’s coach and I were have a conversation, and so he excused himself.

When the conversation finally ended, Onew was just on his was back.

“Who was that?”

“Hm?” Onew looked up. “Who? Ah, the person who called? My secretary. She just reminded me about a meeting.”

I cocked an eyebrow but shrugged. “Okay. Anyway, the game’s about to start in a few minutes, so we better get seated.”

Onew and I made our way to our seats, and when the game started, I turned into the biggest fangirl.

“Go, Yoogeun-ah!” I shouted at the top of my lungs and even stood up, waving at him.

I noticed how Onew was stiff and kept on checking on his phone every now and then, so I sat down for a while and cleared my throat. “Are you here to watch your son’s football game or are you here to watch your phone?”

Just when we were talking, I saw Yoogeun had stolen the ball from the opponent and was on his way to the goal. I immediately shot up from my seat and began shouting even louder. “Yoogeun-ah!!”

Onew stood up too, but only to answer his ringing phone. He slowly left the crowd with the phone pressed on his ear, and I was just about to ask him what he was doing when Yoogeun finally kicked the ball and scored a goal.

The crowd went wild, and I can see Yoogeun smiling so widely before turning to our side and narrowing his eyes as if looking for someone. He saw me and waved. I gave him a two thumbs-up with the biggest grin on my face, but it immediately disappeared when I saw Yoogeun staring at the empty space beside me.

He stared at me for a few more seconds, and I swear I could hear him asking “Where’s appa?”

I could only shake my head with a frown as he walked away, shoulder slumped and head low.

 

Yoogeun scored several more goals, but Onew was never there to witness any.

When the game finally ended, Onew was still nowhere to be found, and so I had no choice but to go to Yoogeun alone. I greeted him with a smile and hugged him tight. “I’m so proud of you. I never knew you played this well!”

Yoogeun half-smiled and looked behind me. “Where’s appa?”

“U-uhm, w-well appa had to take care of some—“

“Sica!” Onew was running from behind me. “Yoogeun-ah, what happened? Did my baby score a lot of goals?”

Yoogeun pursed his lips together and walked away. “Yoogeun—“ I stood up and glared at Onew.