Phone call.

Last Gift.

 

“So how was your vacation?” Mother-in-law asked as we started eating our breakfast.

“We had fun,” Onew answered, winking at me. I kicked his shin from under the table—in which he slightly groaned and pouted.

“The rest house is really beautiful, mom.” I answered with a smile. “And grandmother was really nice too.”

“Oh, you met grandmother?” Father-in-law asked.  “How is she?”

“She’s doing fine,” Onew answered. I took this as an opportunity to put food inside my mouth and chew. “I also brought Sica to the beach house. She was like a kid who went running around the beach whenever she had the chance.”

I swallowed my food. “Hey, I wasn’t able to have a vacation for quite a while okay.” I frowned.

“That’s because you work non-stop,” Onew retorted.

“I do not!” I defended.

Onew rolled his eyes. “Yeah, you don’t.” He sarcastically said.

“Eomma!” I turned around and saw Yoogeun who was still wearing his pajamas. He happily ran towards me. I stood up and opened my arms to hug him. “Eomma I missed you!”

I pat his back. “Aigoo, I missed you too, baby.” I kissed his head and pulled away to smile at him. “Go and greet your dad and grandparents.”

“Neh, eomma.” He ran besides mother-in-law. “Goodmorning, grandmother!” He kissed her cheek and ran besides father-in-law. “Goodmorning, grandfather!” He kissed his cheek too and father-in-law chuckled.

“Appa!” He shouted and hugged Onew. Onew carried him and let Yoogeun sit on his lap. “Let’s eat breakfast?”

Yoogeun nodded happily.

I smiled and sat on my chair to continue eating.

“Oh, by the way, we’re having dinner tomorrow to celebrate your father’s birthday,” Mother-in-law turned towards Onew. “It’s a formal dinner, but it will just be for the family. After that, we’re going to have a family portrait taken.” She then turned towards me, “Jessica, make sure to invite your brother okay?”

I smiled and nodded. “Neh, eomma.”

“Grandmother, can I come along too?” Yoogeun said while chewing his food.

“Yoogeun-ah, don’t talk with your mouth full,” I lectured, but mother-in-law, Onew, and father-in-law laughed at Yoogeun.

“Of course, you can! You’re invited as well.” Father-in-law laughed. I couldn’t help but laugh along.


 

I was on the couch with Yoogeun on my lap. “Here,” I said as I swiped the iPad’s screen. “Appa made this breakfast for eomma.”

“Hm? Why did appa make breakfast for eomma?” Yoogeun asked, looking at me, slightly confused.

“Eomma accidentally burned her hand,” I explained. Yoogeun nodded.

“Nope, your eomma’s just a bad cook, that’s why,” Onew said behind us. I lightly hit his arm. “It’s true!” He said, rubbing his arm.

“I cook okay!” I answered.

“Yeah, says he woman who didn’t know how to make a tuna sandwich.”

“YAH!” I shouted. He ran to the kitchen to continue cooking. I turned back to Yoogeun who was scanning through the pictures we had taken when we were on vacation. He studied the pictures carefully, not saying anything. I smiled at him and hugged him close to me.

The doorbell rang and Onew passed by us, he was still wearing his apron so Yoogeun and I giggled quietly.

“Sica! Yunho-hyung is here!” Onew called out. Yoogeun placed the iPad on top of the table and ran. “Yunho-samchon!” He shouted.

I stood up and walked towards them. “Oppa,” I smiled at him. He smiled back while carrying Yoogeun in his arms. He handed over a paperbag. “Lunch,” He said.

“Eh, hyung. I cooked for us.” Onew pouted. Oppa chuckled. “Fine then, dinner.”

Onew took the paperbag from me while grinning and walked away happily.

“Sica,” He called out. “You look different today.”

I stared at him. “Different?”

He nodded. “I don’t know.. I’m not quite sure. But you look prettier.”

Onew back-hugged me and rested his chin on my shoulder. Yunho-hyung stared at us uncomfortably—which I understand. I mean, what kind of an older brother would like to see his younger sister and her husband being like..this.

“You wanna know the secret hyung? It’s because we—“ I elbowed his stomach.

“Oppa, let’s go and eat lunch already.” I said awkwardly. I glared at Onew who was pouting at me. Oppa put Yoogeun down and held hands with him. The three of us walked towards the kitchen.

“S-Sica! Yah! Wait for me!” Onew shouted from behind.

“Oppa, Jinki’s parents are inviting you for dinner tomorrow,” I explained as the four of us sat on the dining table. “It’s father-in-law’s birthday tomorrow, and we’re going to have a family portrait taken after. It’s a formal dinner.”

Yunho-oppa brought out his phone, probably to notify his secretary and check his schedule. “Okay,” He nodded after a while and put the phone in.

We started eating when Onew’s phone rang.

“Yeobosaeyo?” He picked up. I continued eating my food as he talked on the phone. Onew frowned. “Why, what happened to you? Where are you? Right now? But—“ He sighed. “I’ll be there soon. Wait for me. Don’t go anywhere okay?”

Onew dropped the call and stood up. “Where are you going?” I asked. “And who was that?”

Onew looked at me, “Huh?” He then looked away and furrowed his eyebrows as if he were thinking of what to say. “Ah, a friend of mine called. It’s an emergency.” He answered before dashing upstairs and going down a few minutes after with a jacket, the car keys and his phone.

“Hyung, I’ll go ahead first.” He said and bowed towards oppa. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Oppa nodded.

“I’ll come back soon as I can, okay? Bye.” He said and kissed my cheek. “Yoogeun take care of you eomma.” He ruffled Yoogeun’s hair and the boy nodded.

“Okay..” I answered as he ran outside the house.

Oppa and I stared at each other, slightly confused. “Who could that have been?” Yunho oppa asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. But as he said, his friend.” I smiled. “Let’s continue eating. I’ll show you pictures of our vacation.”

Yunho oppa went back to eating but I stared at my food.  Who was that person? And why was Onew hesitating to tell me who it was?