Best friend.

Last Gift.

I was shaking; my hands were shaking, shaking so badly, and tears kept rolling down my cheeks. I wiped them off using my hand--for who knows how many times already--only to feel more tears falling down. I didn't know how I was feeling, to be honest. Was I mad? Yes. Was I hurt? Definitely. But a part of me was confused. Who exactly should I be mad at?

"Sica."

Jonghyun's voice made me turn around and almost instantly, as if my body has a mind of its own, I stood up from the bench and ran towards him. Jonghyun was surprised; his eyes widened and he stopped on his tracks, but he opened his arms widely and just in time, caught me in them. He embraced me and I started crying more--I started sobbing. He didn't ask anything, he didn't say anything. We simply stood there, with me in his arms and with him rubbing my back and humming softly to give me comfort and warmth.

After a few minutes (or so I think), I finally calmed down. I was still shaking though, but at least I stopped crying. Maybe I ran out of tears, or maybe my body had just grown tired of producing them. Jonghyun steadily held me as we walked over to the nearest bench. He sat me down and squatted in front of me. "What happened?" His eyes were filled with so much concern. I couldn't open my mouth just yet, but he didn't seem to be in a hurry. He took out a handkerchief from his jacket and started wiping my face as gently as he could.

I sniffled. "Sh-she was there," I whispered. I didn't mean to, it's just that I felt weak right now. I wrapped my arms around myself and looked down, biting my lower lip to prevent myself from crying again. "Sunyoung. She was there.."

He was still as calm as ever. He simply nodded. "And? What happened after that?"

"I- I wanted to have lunch with him. But his secretary said someone went in there without an appointment and- and I panicked. I had a bad feeling, so I told her to not tell him that I was going in--which is okay, I guess. Because that was my initial plan."

I started babbling and if it were any other person, they might have started to find me annoying. But Jonghyun? He remained squatted, nodding. Listening intently to every word I said.

"So when you got in, they were-"

"-kissing."

I shut my eyes--hoping they would shut out the mental images too. But no, it was still clear. In fact, it was like it's happening right now. I can still see Sunyoung standing on her toes so that her lips would reach Jinki's; how she smiled and tilted her head slightly too.

When I felt Jonghyun take my hands and give them a reassuring squeeze, I suddenly went back to reality.

"Do you have work? It's past lunch time, you should go back."

I shook my head. "I called on my way here, saying I wasn't feeling well. Besides, I already finished all the paper work." Who would be able to work at a state of mind like mine? Who can sit in an office where possibly, more mental images of her husband kissing another woman could form?

"What do you plan to do then?"

What do I plan to do? I don't know. I shrugged and sighed.

"Sooyeon-ah, you have to talk to him."

"Talk? And what do I say?"

"What you want to say. You should be smart enough to know how important communication is between two people, right? Especially when they're married."

I snorted and rolled my eyes jokingly. "I'm being scolded by someone who isn't even married."

He simply smirked. "That's how wise I am. I gain knowledge before I experience it."

And just like that, I laughed. I laughed and pushed his shoulder lightly, playfully. Like how we were when we were younger. It's amazing how things can be so different and yet there are things that are still very much the same. Like right now. We look different, we're older; I'm married, working and I have a child. Jonghyun's travelling all around the world, driving his own car and living on his own--and yet, we're still the same Sooyeon and Jonghyun who were best friends since we were kids.

"There you go." He stood up and ruffled my hair. "You look so much better when you're smiling, you know that?"

I fixed my hair and sighed. "Thank you, Jjong."

"For what?"

"For.. always being there. Through good times or bad times, you've always been beside me. Ever since we were kids. I know we're both adults now but sometimes I still feel like a kid who needs protection and I'm just so happy to have someone like you at times like those.. At times like these."

"You don't have to thank me." He picked up his handkerchief and put it in my hand, folding my fingers to hold it securely. "You're my best friend, Sooyeon. And as cliche as it may sound, that's what best friends are for." He took a seat beside me and stretched his legs comfortably in front. "It's too cold, isn't it?" He asked, shoving his hands inside his pockets.

I nodded.

"How is Yoogeun?"

"He's.." I thought about what happened during his soccer match. I rememeber the disappointment his face had shown as soon as he'd seen that his father missed all of his goals. But I shrugged it off, deciding not to tell Jonghyun about it, becuase Jinki is clearly making it up to him now. "..alright."

Jonghyun chuckled.

"What?" I turned my head, raising an eyebrow at him.

"You hesitated."

"Did not!"

"Did too."

"Not."

He brought his phone out and ignored me. Somehow, I couldn't stop smiling to myself. If there's one thing that Jonghyun is good at, it's making me smile--and laugh, when I'm sad. I'm not saying that Jinki can't do that, but of course it's different. I'm also not saying that someone does it better than another, but I guess I just missed Jonghyun from all the years he was away. I missed this. I missed just sitting somewhere and laughing, bickering with my best friend.

"Sooyeon-ah."

"Hm?" I smiled as I blinked at him. He put his phone back in his pocket and stood up before ruffling my hair again (which I just finished fixing).

"Don't let your temper control you, okay?"

Before I had the chance to ask him what that meant, he his heel and started walking away. I stood up immediately and started shouting his name. "Jonghyun-ah! Yah! You're going to leave me alone?"

He brought out a hand from his pocket and waved without even looking back. I grabbed my bag and prepared to run after him, hissing under my breath and making sure that I'd hit him as hard as I could. How could he leave me alone like this? 

"Jessica."

I turned around to see Jinki standing a few feet away from me, panting.

----------

a/n: I'm alive? ;A; Please don't hate me.