Chapter 15

The Spark in Her Eyes

Dara’s POV

 

“Are you going to practice later?” I asked the girls as we walk out of the room. The class just ended and we are now going home.

 

Baekhyun still didn’t call me. Maybe we are not going to practice today.

 

Why do I feel like I’m disappointed about it? Yah! Dara-yah, don’t think it the other way. You’re just disappointed because you want to have a high grade on this one. Yeah, that’s it!

 

“Yeah.” Bom said. I almost forgot I asked them. “We are going to Minzy’s house.”

 

“And you?” I looked at CL. “Traitor.”

 

“Oh come on!” CL said. “Are we still not over it? I told you a couple of times that Suho came to me, not the other way around.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” I rolled my eyes and CL pinched my side painfully. “Ouch!”

 

“And to answer your question, yes, we are going to practice.” CL looked at me. “He texted me during lunch. How about you?”

 

I sigh. “I still don’t know. He didn’t texted me or anything.” Just as I said that, my phone rang. “It’sBaekhyun.” I said as I looked at the caller and answer it. “Nae?”

 

“Dara, we just finished our fan meeting. Are we still going to practice?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Uh, yeah.”

 

“Great.” He said happily. “So, uh, where do you want to practice?”

 

“Is it okay if we are going to practice at my house?” I asked.

 

“Yeah, sure.” He answered. “But, I don’t know where your house is.”

 

“I can send you my address.” After that, we said our goodbyes and I send my address. I know they wouldn’t get lost since, for sure their van has GPS.

 

“So I guess you have a practice.” CL said.

 

“I guess so.” I said looking at her. “See you guys tomorrow.”

 

“Nae, annyeong!”

 

After that, I walk to the car and let them take me home.

 

-----

 

I was eating cookies in the kitchen when Ms. Kim, our very loyal and old head maid, walked in the room. She’s been with us since we were born. Ms. Kim is the one who usually takes care of us when our mom and dad is not around.

 

“Miss, there is someone looking for you. He said that he’s name is Baekhyun.” She said.

 

“Ah yeah!” I suddenly exclaimed making her jump in surprise. “Let him in. I forgot to tell the guards earlier. Ah, pabo Dara-yah.” I said and slap my face.

 

“Yes, Miss.” She said chuckling and walked out of the room.

 

Minutes later, Ms. Kim walked in the room with Baekhyun behind her looking like a kid seeing a candy house for the first time.

 

“Baekhyun-ah!” I called him and he looked at me right away. “Close your mouth.” He suddenly blushand hung his head low. Ah, kyeowo. WAIT, SAY WHAT?!

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat and said, “Your house is amazing. It’s 10x more amazing than Suho hyung;s house.”

 

“Uhh, thanks.” I said. “Here, have some cookies.”

 

“No thanks. I’m already full.” Just as he said that, his stomach growled loudly making him blush again.

 

“Huh, your stomach says otherwise.” I said. “Can you give him something to eat, please?” I said to Ms. Kim and she nod. “I’m just going to change. I’ll be back.”

 

Baekhyun’s POV

 

After she said that, Dara walked out of the room. Now, that I think of it, she’s still wearing her uniform.

 

“Mr. Baekhyun…” the lady said.

 

“Ah, just call me Baekhyun.” I said sheepishly.

 

“Nae, Baekhyun.” The lady said. “Come have a seat.” She motioned her hand on the chair and I followed what she said. I was served with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, red velvet cupcakes, and an orange juice.

 

“Ah, kamsahamnida.” I bowed at them. The person who served me with this was long gone, but the lady was still here. “Do you want some?” I asked but she shook her head.

 

“I already ate.” She said.

 

“Oh.” I said as I munch some cookies. “Uhm, are you just going to stand there?” I asked shyly. I really don’t know what will I do, beside to eat this yummy food.

 

“Yes, Baekhyun.” She smiled. “Don’t mind me. It’s my job to keep the visitors of Miss Dara or Miss Jessica accommodated if they are not still around.”

 

“Oh, okay.” I said. Therewas a moment of silence before I asked again. “How long have you been working for them?”

 

“Since the day Jessica was born.” The lady smiled.

 

“Mwoah?!” I exclaimed. “That long?” She nod. “Wow.” She’s been with them for 22 years?! She’s so loyal.

 

“Can I ask you something, Baekhyun?” The lady asked hopefully.

“You already did.” I grinned. “But, sure.”

 

“Are you Miss Dara’s boyfriend?”

 

I chocked on the cupcake I was eating. The lady was suddenly alarmed at my state and immediately handed me some water. “Thanks.” I said as soon as I was okay.

 

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have ask that kind of thing.” The lady said regretfully.

 

“It’s okay.” I said. “That just took me by surprise. But, to answer your question, I’m not. We’re just friends.” For now. Kkk.

 

“Oh. I thought you were… I’m sorry.” The lady bowed.

 

“I told you it’s okay.” I chuckled. “Why did you ask anyway?”

 

“You are the only guy he brought here besides Miss Bom, Miss Minzy, and Miss CL.” She said.

 

I don’t know why that thought made me smile. Aish! I’m being giddy about it. Before I could ask another thing, Dara walked in the kitchen now in her dancing attire. She’s wearing a gray leggings, a white loose shirt, and her white Adidas shoes. I’m wearing my Jagger pants, black shirt, and black Adidas shoes.

 

“I hope you’re not telling embarrassing things about me to him.” Dara jokingly glared at the lady while pointing at me.

 

“No I’m not Miss Dara.” The lady chuckled and left the room.

 

Dara walked closer to me and took a piece of my cookie and said. “Let’s go.”

 

I quickly got up from my chair and followed her. I don’t want to get lost in this mansion.

 

“Is Jessica sunbae here?” I asked.

 

“Nope.” Dara said popping the ‘p’. “She’s in YG right now.” Dara looked at me suspiciously. “Wae?”

 

“Nothing. I was just asking.” I said.

 

We walked in this grand staircase that leads to the 2nd floor of their house. Then we walked up again to another grand staircase but smaller compared to the first one. I’ve never seen a house this big. Like, seriously, it is huge!

 

There is a mini living room on the 3rd floor and on the far side of it, there’s a door. This is also a door on my right, and a door behind me which would be in front of the stairs. Dara and I walked on the far end of the room and she opened the door.

 

Much to my surprise, the room is huge. When she opened it, I saw a thick navy blue curtain opposite of the door and mirrors on the remaining sides. The half part of the room is where you can see different kinds of instruments on the other half is like a dancing studio. There is also a stereo on the corner of it.

 

“DAEBAK!” I couldn’t help but to gush over it. “This is so cool!” I drop my bag on the floor and walk to where the instruments are displayed. I sit by the piano and opened it. “Do you usually play with all of these?”

 

“Yeah.” Dara said and leaned by the piano.

 

I press my fingers on the keys and played some random songs that I’ve learned back when I was a trainee.

 

“Oh, you’re good.” Dara said.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“But I think it’s not the reason why we are here.” She said and walk to where the stereo was. “Come on. Let’s start.”

 

-----

 

We’ve been practicing for the past two hours and we are already half way through the song. I was doing some random steps that made Dara suddenly burst out laughing. I think it’s the first time she actually laugh this loud. I pretended that, that didn’t affect me and continue with this steps that I know would look so horrible on me.

 

By now Dara is on the floor laughing and clutching her stomach. There are even tears in her eyes right now.

 

“Oh my gosh.” Dara said breathless. “Please. Just stop it.”

 

“Yeah. I should.” I said and collapse on the floor beside her. We are both breathing heavily. Me, from dancing and her, from laughing. “You had a good laugh back there.”

 

“Yeah.” She said quietly. “It felt nice.”

 

“Then laugh more.” I said. She didn’t say anything after that. I feel like I said something that made her think about something. You know what I mean? I stood up from the floor and said. “I need to go the bathroom.”

 

“It’s the door in front of the stairs.” She said looking at the ceiling.

 

I walked out of the room and do my business in the bathroom. As I walk back to the dance room, I noticed that the other door was left ajar. And of course, I’m a curious cat. I walked to it and opened the door. I place my hand on the wall to feel the light switch and when I know I was holding it, I switch it on. What I saw really surprised me.

 

The room was filled of pictures. Nothing else was in here except pictures that is placed on the walls. It even occupy the four walls. I walked closer to it and found out that it was the pictures of them three. Jessica sunbae, Dara, and her twin brother. The pictures were taken from a Polaroid. How many did they use all in all?
I was slowly roaming around the room to look at the pictures. All of them are wearing big smiles, especially Dara. I could really tell now how affected she was when her brother died. Her eyes are full of mischief and life. It’s like she’s happy. Genuinely happy. But now, I don’t know. I’m not going to say she’s faking it. It’s there, but it’s just… different.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

I jump in surprise and looked at the person standing in the doorway. Dara walked closer to me and said. “I’m asking you again. What are you doing here?”

 

“I,I… I was, uh… uhm.” I stuttered.

 

“What?” Dara raised her eyebrows at me.

 

Inhaling deeply, I said. “I notice that the door was left ajar and curiosity got the better of me and I walked in here. Sorry.”

 

“Did you know that curiosity killed the cat?”

 

“Yeah. But, satisfaction bought them back.”

 

“Are you satisfied?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

She didn’t answer me again. Instead she faced the wall and looked at the pictures. She was silent for a couple of minutes and I was just standing there looking at her. Then she started talking making me jump in surprise.

 

“Do you know it was never enough?” She said quietly. I know it would be a bad move if I said something, so I let her talk. “The day Sanghyun died was the worst day of my life. My partner in crime, my twin, and my other half left me and I couldn’t be more devastated.” Dara sigh deeply and said. “The drunk driver got arrested and was sentenced of imprisonment for life. But, that was never enough for me.” She chuckled humorlessly. “I told them that I want the driver to be dead. A life for a life. I also plead and beg my mom and dad to also arrest the parents of the kid, who my brother save. If it weren’t also because of them my brother would still be alive. But, my parents didn’t approve of it though.”

 

“I hated them. I hated everyone that time. I never talked to them or to anyone, even the girls.” It must be Bom, Minzy, and CL. “I just stayed in my room for weeks, months even. The maids would just bring my food up in my room and be out of it as soon as possible ‘cuz I will throw something at them.” She chuckled humorlessly again. “I think almost every night I would cry myself to sleep. And when I’m asleep I would have dreams about the incident making me wake up until its morning.”

 

“The routine goes like that until Jessica unnie walks in my room and knock some senses into me. She told me that Sanghyun wouldn’t like it if I would be like this my entire life. She said that she and our parents are worried sick for me. I know deep down didn’t want them to worry, so I followed what she said. Everyday I try to live the way I used to for them. Tried to bring back the old me for them. I know I was getting there, but it’s hard. It’s really hard when you know how you lived back then is totally different how it is today. It’s hard that Sanghyun wouldn’t be here with me. It’s hard without him, but I’m trying. I’m trying to the point that I feel like dying.”

 

Dara’s shoulder are now shaking and that’s enough for me to know that she’s crying. I walked closer to her and hugged her from behind.

 

“You’re a strong woman.” I said. “Sanghyun would be proud of you since he knows that you are trying. But, I know he would like it more if you’re not doing it for him, you should do it for yourself.”