Delphinus

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: okay but the real point of this story begins here tbh lol

 

The Air Nation Queen has her hands on in shock- eyes fixed and unwavering on Jeonghan despite calling Prince Mingyu’s name. Jeonghan was terrified, very much so. And he yearned for the ground to swallow him whole. He can’t believe he will immediately experience first hand what the people will think if this ever came out. This will surely be a huge scandal, basing alone on the Queen’s expression.

 

“Queen Eun jung…” it was the Prince who first broke the silence.

 

The queen jolted, whole body shaking. Jeonghan thought she looked extremely vulnerable, like she’s in the verge of a breakdown. He saw her immediately close down the doors behind her, taking in the time to observe if there were no people around as if she’s in on the secret.

 

“Go inside Prince Mingyu.The whole room awaits for you. It is time for the announcement,” she said voice quivering. She was still looking at Jeonghan despite the order to the other. And Prince Mingyu seemed to notice her odd interest as he stepped forward to cover him from her eyes.

 

“Prince. Just go.” She said with more force despite the tremble in her voice. Prince Mingyu remained frozen in the spot and then he looked at Jeonghan with distressed eyes.

 

“I will go with him inside. You absence will soon become evident and you might bring people here. It is best for you to go first,” the queen all but begged him when she noticed the look the two of them shared.

 

The Prince had no choice. He looked at Jeonghan one last time and mouthed him a soft keep safe. However just before he can enter the hall, the Queen walked up to him.

 

“Please,” she cried out clinging to Mingyu’s arm. “Make sure no one will know of what happened here.”

 

It was strange, so very strange.

 

And then Jeonghan was alone with the Queen and it felt like he was looking at one of the stars in the sky. She was wearing a pristine white dress lined with gold at the seams- a contrast color in the darkness of the night. Her purple hair lighter than that of Jeonghan’s was set in a braid. She was easily the most beautiful woman Jeonghan has ever seen.

 

Slowly she stepped forward until she was face to face with Jeonghan. Up close he can see the some moisture forming at her gentle eyes. But Jeonghan remained silent not knowing if he can explain.

 

He felt her hand on his elbows bringing his arm up. And he watched her eyes travelled down Jeonghan’s whole being. “This…” she said while picking up a loose tie in Jeonghan’s robes. “You are a servant to the Fire Nation family.” she said as a matter of fact.

 

Jeonghan nodded just to confirm.

 

The Queen choked down a sob, bringing a clenched fist up again over .

 

Jeonghan felt humiliated—the anxiety bubbling stronger in his stomach, knowing that his role as a servant can illicit such a response. He just want to get away. He realized he's not ready to take this kind of judgment.

 

The Queen closed her eyes for seemingly a long time. And when she opened them again, they were filled with undeniable resolve.

 

“Let’s go in first. We’ll talk again after the party.”

 

Jeonghan went in the banquet with the Queen in tow. He noticed she was still weak and he decided to offer his arm. The queen was visibly surprised by the action but she gratefully took his arm, clutching it tightly.

 

Upon their entrance, Jeonghan already felt a pair of eyes on him. He looked around and his eyes zeroed on that of grey ones. They were questioning, filled with concern and fear. Jeonghan just gave him a nod avoiding his gaze immediately. Later, when they’re alone, they will talk.

 

In their absence, the guests seemed to arrange themselves around a raised circular platform placed at the very center. Standing at its circumference were the four premier oracles of the nations. It was amazing how they contrasted with each other. The kind of robes they wore, their age (the Earth Nation oracle looked like she is only 12), and the way they carried themselves (the Air Nation one was literally floating a foot up in the air).

 

A hush enveloped the room, everyone anticipating what would happen next.

 

It was the the Fire Nation oracle that spoke first, in a kind of staccato fashion Jeonghan was familiar with.

 

18 years ago, when the world was starving and at war

The gift came in a dream

And now that prophecy that was kept secret

Will now be revealed.

 

Libra and Aries

Aries and Libra

 

The four oracles simultaneously chanted in varying accent, softly at first and then going crescendo.

 

In Libra’s veins runs rich blood

The first of blue and red

A precious descendant of Water and Air

And blessed by Earth so bounty and fair

 

Jeonghan immediately knew who it was--Princess Tzuyu. Her birthday has been a big deal every year. A Libra birthed by the Water Nation Queen instead of Air. And her mother claimed of her blue blood- a proof that she was a descendant of one of the elemental gods, the first and only one. She was celebrated, honored and admired.

 

Meanwhile, Aries comes in vibrant shade

Father Sun’s gift to him was laid

In his hands lay the great strong fire

That will mold the FOUR into ONE empire

 

There was no mistaking it, the verse points to Prince Mingyu. He then found him walking through the crowd onto the platform. And walking hand in hand with him was Princess Tzuyu.

 

An intimate path is laid for for these two bright souls

 

Jeonghan’s heart sank to his stomach. It all makes sense now. The Prince’s hesitation, the other prophecy. The fact that it contrasted with the oracle’s reading. But… no it can’t be. Please, it can’t be.

 

Leaders of new found world, they’ll fill the role

Prosperity for all will come anew

Will gather mortals of every shade and hue

 

On Libra’s eighteenth, right on the dot

Doors will open, expect a lot

Gifts from the gods will appear one by one

Will flow through Libra’s hand, the favored one.

 

But beware for not all gifts come free

For Libra still carries a mortal share

The onslaught of powers to the weaker and frail

Can destroy the body in the absence of care.

 

Fear not for Aries can ease the pain

His touch will keep Libra sane

Like puzzle pieces, they’ll join as one

And will seal the strongest bond in the history of time.

 

The end was met by silence, everyone seemingly trying to digest what they just heard. And then there was applause, made stronger when Princess Tzuyu waved towards the crowd. She was standing now at the center, arms linked with Prince Mingyu.

 

United nations and prosperity for everyone--thats what it is. Achieved only by the unification of Aries and Libra.

 

Eveyone started celebrating, using each of their own peritias. There were butterflies, orbs of light, and small flowers floating in the air.

 

The fire inside the room was hotter now. And Jeonghan just have to get out of there.

Jeonghan sat weakly on the edge of the Queen’s bed, dazed and staring at particularly nothing in front of him. Outside, there was a slight drizzle, uncommon during summer. Maybe the skies cried for him. Maybe it knew that Jeonghan needed to but can’t because he was in no place to do it.

 

Regret ate him and his mind played all of the things he shouldn't have done. He wished he didn’t stay. He wished he didn’t meet him. He wished he didn’t had the apples that day. Thinking about them left a sour taste in his mouth.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter