Leo

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The light breeze washed over Jeonghan’s face and he closed his eyes, willing himself to pretend that he was just leisurely strolling on the courtyard. The rope that bound his arms was tight and the thick knots dug into his skin as a painful reminder but there was a certain calmness about the long walk towards the prison wagon. Finally, he was free from the of silence from captivity— when there was nothing to do but wallow in guilt and pore over the fact that Mingyu’s away from him. For the first time, he embraced the noise, allowed himself to drown beneath the loud chatter from the spectators watching him get pulled towards the wooden vehicle.

They must be here to relish in his humiliation. To a see for themselves that he’d be receiving punishment. He supposed the harsh words should hurt him more but this was nothing. Just a small portion of the other million thoughts weighing down his heart. He fixed his eyes forward, trying to keep his pace in time with the guards.

And then finally, they were there. The guards made him climb up the steps of the wagon and then pushed him inside locking him in. Immediately, he was surrounded by darkness, the only light he had was the small rays seeping in through the tiny spaces wherein the edges of wooden tablets have failed to meet. At the door was a small rectangular peeping hole. He shifted his body, pushing it up with his limited mobility so he can peek through the small space.

He was surprised to see the king, his face grave while he talked to one of the guards. Hansol was on his side, just listening as the King seemed to be giving instructions with someone he hasn’t seen before.

The talking was halted when the guards announced Queen Delta’s arrival. Jeonghan’s heart skip a beat in fear, as he saw her made his way towards the king’s direction.

He removed his eyes from the hole and replaced it with his ear, willing himself to hear fully the conversation between the two.

“I fail to understand how you need this whole hoard of guards for this,” the queen said, bypassing any greeting.

“The news has travelled fast over the nation. At least two towns will be passed on the way to the destination. The people would surely take this chance to make their wrath shown.”

The queen scoffed. “That scum does not need any of your protection.”

“Yes, I understand. But I would not permit chaos on any my towns.”

“Then do it here,” Queen Delta suggested. “This castle has more than enough space to do the execution.”

"I'm afraid I can't let that happen here. No blood of an enemy has been spilled here. The execution would be done on Mount Firda. The same mountain we do our offerings to the Fire God. Let his body serve as a sacrifice— a proof that we’re keeping watch and stopping anyone who has the desire to hinder the prophecy."

There was silence afterwards. Curious, Jeonghan peeked again immediately ducking down when he saw that the queen has her eyes on the vehicle.

"Then let me send some of my people too," Jeonghan managed to hear despite it coming through muffled.

There was a hum of assent from the King.

“As you wish.”



Not long after, the wagon started moving. He can’t help the surprised yelp as the wagon moved rough and fast. His arms were still bound behind his back and he has no way of holding onto anything. His body moved up and down on where he was seated and he wished that this wouldn’t be like this for the whole duration of the trip. He can already feel himself getting bruises with the way his body hit the the hard wood on each forward step of the horse.

Unfortunately, it continued for a long time. Because of course, there would be no consideration for a passenger like him. Maybe it’s because he was alone and there was nothing to do, but the wagon seemed to continue to move for a long time with no indication of stopping. He watched the yellow light rays seeping in turn tp orange, then finally to a pinkish hue which eventually turned to a dimmer shade. He knew that in a few minutes, it would be gone.

From time to time, he would peek through the whole just to see if Hansol was still there riding with the guards. His presence was the only thing that comforted him. Jeonghan still have no idea what to expect and he's still blind to whatever plan that was made but If he’s Hansol's still there, then surely, he’s still safe.

At one point, the wagon stopped and he stilled, waiting in anticipation on what would happen next.

“We would be passing the first town,” the words from a soldier resounded in the quiet night. It’s night time so we’d expect no people to greet us. Be prepared, nonetheless.”

Just as what was said, they were able to pass through the town peacefully. For some reasons, the wagon seemed to slow down too and soon, Jeonghan was lulled to sleep, tired and spent despite doing nothing inside.

He woke up later to soft sun rays hitting his face. The wagon was once again in a standstill and not  long Jeonghan heard the same announcement from the night before.

He didn’t move from where he was lying down, thinking that it'd be a peaceful passage again. He closed his eyes once again, hoping to catch more sleep. They must be closer now. He must gather more energy before they reach the destination.

There was a moment of quiet, the soft morning air crisp and cold. But as he was enjoying the peace, the wagon suddenly shook. He opened his eyes and rose up, alert.

 A few seconds passed when nothing happened. He was about to lie down again when suddenly he was thrown hard and fast against the wall of the wagon.


He hit his shoulder upon impact, the force knocking all the air out of his lungs. He tried to roll over, breathing hard but not a second after, the wagon jolted again.


He can't help but yelp.

He closed his eyes, curling in on himself in an attempt to brace his body for anymore impact. Suddenly he was aware of the screaming outside, drowning his senses and preventing him from thinking. He knew he should do something, but it was hard to move with  bruised shoulder and bound arms. So he stayed in his position, waiting for everything to die down.

In his plight, he felt someone touch his shoulders. He flinched, eyes opening in a snap.

It was Hansol.

“Your highness,” he said, “Let’s go.”

Jeonghan felt relief wash over him. But before he can ask what was happening and why he was able to enter, he was pulled up and out of the wagon with Hansol seemingly carrying most of his weight. Despite it, his knees can’t help but buckle over when he took sight of what was happening outside.

There was just chaos. People fighting in the street. Guards and ordinary citizens alike rumbled with each other in a close combat.

“Hansol!” he exclaimed. “What’s happen-”

“Just follow me,” was his only response. “Keep your head low, and follow me.”

Hansol gave him no choice but oblige. He grabbed him by the arm and pulled him in through the commotion.

He tried to look around, trying to assess the situation and piece up what was happening. As he did so, he locked eyes with a water nation soldier and he saw the exact moment his eyes widened in recognition.

“The traitor!” he shouted.

There was a second when it felt like everything just stopped, numerous heads glancing at their direction, before the noise around him suddenly became louder.


Hansol cursed beside him. He turned towards Jeonghan, his face red in panic.

“You must get to the horse at the far east side. Run there and—“

Anymore of what he said was lost against the close combats that seemed to take place near them. He stole a quick glance, noticing the onslaught of soldiers coming to their direction, their eyes showing the need to capture him and stop him from escaping. In the midst of all, it was the civilians themselves who were skilfully blocking the fire and water nation soldiers alike from getting closer to them. He was confused at the scene he saw.

Hansol kept a tight hold to him pulling him to the crowd until he felt someone grab a fistful of his hair. He was yanked backwards, feet stumbling against each other. He felt Hansol’s grasp loosened before he saw him swing a fist to a fire nation soldier that tried to grab him.

Jeonghan saw the soldier stumble at the force, the same time he saw the look of hot betrayal flooding his eyes.

“What are you doing?” the soldier screamed at Hansol. “Where are you taking him?”

Hansol didn’t respond just turned around and tried to move with Jeonghan again. However the soldier quickly recovered and flung his body towards them.

The force sent them straight to the ground with Hansol taking most of the impact. Jeonghan was was able to roll over immediately but Hansol was stuck underneath the body of the soldier, the other pinning him down with a heavy arm over his neck. 

“Run!” He saw Hansol mouth at him despite the weight over his throat.

Jeonghan was frozen shocked, mind going blank at the sight of Hansol struggling against the other. He saw his face turn red, arms windling in the air as he tried to grab a hold of the man above him.

No, he won’t go. Not without him. 

He must help him.

However, just before he can stand up, a heavy hand settled on his shoulder, grabbing the top of his sleeves and pulling him up from where he was thrown down.

“Come with me,” the person said, loud and clear even in the midst of the shouting.

Before he can process the order the firm hands turned him around and he was faced with another fire nation soldier--a higher rank based on his clothes. He recognized him immediately. He’s the one talking with the King earlier.

There was a second wherein the soldier looked over his whole body before he was pushed roughly forward. Jeonghan was sure they almost have the same body habitus but the other was much more stronger, hovering over him and shoving his head low as they moved through the chaos. There was so much happening and Jeonghan wasn’t sure what to do. All he knew was that he can’t move his upper torso, the man leaning down on him heavily as they went through the crowds.

And then finally, the weight on his back disappeared and he was able to resurface. They were now a few meters from the fighting. From their position, he caught sight of the whole scene, feet unintentionally backing away as he saw the squabble that has arisen.

He quickly scanned the field, hoping to see any indication of Hansol. But as he did so. His face was suddenly grabbed by rough hand and he was forced to look at he soldier’s face.

“What are you waiting for? Get on!” He all but shouted at him.

Jeonghan jumped in his position and suddenly he was aware of his limp upper limbs, now freed. He looked at his side, seeing one of the horses.

He mindlessly shook his head, “I don’t know you!” he shouted, feet moving towards the fighting men to try and find Hansol. However he was immediately stopped by a tight grip around his wrist.

“Get on the horse, dammit!” The soldier exclaimed, his tone angrier now. “Just follow my orders, your highness. Or else I’ll have no choice but forcefully drag you.”

 


The soldier did forcefully drag him when Jeonghan refused despite the way he addressed him. The other yanked his collar towards the direction of the horse, pushing him up and giving him no choice but to follow. Jeonghan did try to trash against him until he screamed at him again.

“You’re going to die here if you don’t get on! Look! They are starting to come here.”

When he glanced around and saw clumps of soldiers making his way to them, Jeonghan faltered.

“My soldiers are there to help Hansol,” the soldier started. “And you,” his finger digging deep sinto his shoulder. “You have no choice but to escape.”

And now Jeonghan was holding on for his dear life as the horse flew rapidly through the trees.

“Tell me who you are!” he yelled at the man in front. When he received no answer, he tried again. “I’m going to jump off if you don’t tell me.”

The soldier ignored him again and he huffed, getting annoyed. The other clearly did not believe he’s serious about his threats.

Jeonghan can’t risk it. If he’s going to escape then he should it do it now when he still has full mobility. His heart raced inside his chest, conflicted, not knowing if he’s making the right decision or not. But he has no one but himself. He must try, somehow.

He waited for a moment, squinting at the trail at his front to anticipate an even surface. He pushed himself backwards a little, slowly so the soldier wouldn’t notice.

Finally after they passed a bend, he saw a small clearing. He lightly tapped the horse with his heel in a silent apology and when he thought the timing was right, he folded his legs, leaning his body forward onto an extended hands palms against the back of the horse. He quickly shifted his position, using his limbs to spring himself towards a target branch‍.

In a blink of an eye, he was there. He cant’t help the small smile that made his way into his face. He noticed his body was lighter than ever.

As he dangled on the branch, he heard the loud cry of the horse. He glanced back, seeing how the man stopped the horse suddenly, it’s front limbs grinding roughly to a halt.

There was an evident wrath on the soldier’s face, biting his lips like he was preventing the profanities from slipping out of his mouth.

“Come back here,” he finally said, his voice low and oozing with a silent threat . “This is no time to play games. Come back here or i’ll--” 

“Hurt me?” Jeonghan continued for him.

“Yes!” he answered. “I would not hesitate just because your a prince.”

Jeonghan stopped at that. He knew but how. Is he on his side? Or is he an enemy. 

“Tell me who are you and why I can trust you.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter