Vela 2

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan found himself staring at a rock mindlessly, upset and a little embarrassed at what just happened. He’s done all that and all Mingyu did was stare at him.  He must have hated it how he went there. Found it tiresome to see him near when he asked him not to. Yet somehow, it only motivated him more to talk to him. Did he really think Jeonghan wouldn’t put up a fight against a decision he just made by himself? He wouldn’t give up that easily.

 

“Are you perhaps done sulking now?” Hansol asked suddenly as he placed a hand-picked poppy at his side.

 

Jeonghan can’t help but glare at Hansol which made the other looked down, embarrassed.

 

They were currently at the gardens, lounging around and doing nothing in particular. Jeonghan sat on a stone bench just contemplating about his life. Meanwhile, Hansol stood at his side, and from time to time, went to the bushes to pick a flower. Perhaps they really do look like lovers sneaking out for a morning stroll. But they never started a conversation. Jeonghan didn’t really know what to say to a stranger. And Hansol was kind enough to humor his silence.

 

“Can you leave me for just a moment?” he requested, wanting nothing but to mope in solitude.

 

“I apologize, but under no circumstances can I leave you.”

 

“Why?”

 

When Hansol didn’t speak, Jeonghan continued.

 

“They sent you too, didn’t they? They were wary of me…”

 

“I’m a little lost at what you’re trying to say. All I know is I’m always  at your disposal.”

 

“Please don’t lie,” Jeonghan mumbled.

 

“I would never do that to you, I swear with my whole being.”

 

“I myself asked you to leave didn’t you? But you said you can’t.”

 

Despite what he said, Hansol gave out no indication of leaving. Instead he stood there, face filled with unease.

 

“Fine,” Jeonghan snapped. “Then wait for me here. I’m the one who’s going to leave,” he resolved, standing up and preparing himself for a jump.

 

Jeonghan watched shock cross Hansol’s face as the other realized what he was planning to do. He saw the otherstride towards him from where’ he was standing and, obvious that he was going to restrain him. But Jeonghan was faster. Before Hansol can even reach him, he was already up in the air, extending his arms so he can reach out to the nearest branch.

 

“I would only be away for a little while,” he extolled while he swung himself playfully from the branch. He took satisfaction on the way Hansol gazed at him in awe. But it didn’t last long. He saw him crouch down preparing for a jump as well. So Jeonghan quickly stabilized himself, preparing to plunge himself to a higher branch.

 

When he looked back, he saw how Hansol failed, the frustration present in his face. Even so, Jeonghan transferred from tree to tree rapidly, giving himself a head start. He was positive Hansol would make a way to follow him.

 

He gained speed, hurtling himself from branch to branch. The morning breeze was directly hitting him on the face, cold and refreshing and reminiscent of the times he ran in Lutiora. The rush was exhilarating and if he only can, he would be shouting all his feelings too. He missed these--the creaking of the trees as he stepped on its branches, that organic smell, the sound of the jays.  He missed the feeling of being free. It seemed a while since he was able to breath this easy…

 

He made sure to stay close near the castle, circling near the margins and making sure he stay hidden under the covers of shady glades.

 

Running around was easy, almost like a second nature. His limbs still felt heavy but it was tolerable, a dull ache he’s already used to. He tried not to think about it that much and just allowed his feet to take over, relishing on whatever limited time he has.

 

But what they said was true. The forest is full of the unpredictable. It was almost easy to get used to the constancy that he forgot that not all trees can support him. He was just clinging to a high branch when a bird swooped in between his legs creating more movement than usual. He clung hard swinging his body so he can push himself up--realizing too soon that the tree he’s on was too aged and probably can’t support his weight.

 

The only warning he received was the loud snap of a branch before he was falling and his view of the scenery started to blur. He flailed his arms, grasping for any available branch. But his hands only met rotten ones, crumbling within his grasps until his hands were holding nothing but air. A small gasp left his lips as he realized what’s going to happen next.

 

There was no time to shift his position, all he was able to do was close his eyes as he plunged face first towards the ground.

 

But then the expected thump didn’t come--no loud crash from a body hitting the ground.

 

His breath stopped short, eyes opening in a snap. His view was met with the woodland floor,  moist and covered with dew-covered weed--undisturbed and still an inch away from his face. He blinked three times. Was he dreaming? And his body... he can’t feel his body!

 

What was happening!?

 

Despite the panic, he stayed still, afraid to try to move. He flickered his eyes to his side, noting his outstretched arm, frozen and still floating mid-air. As he gazed around and examine what exactly his position was, he realized that not only his arms but all the weight of his body has been taken away from him to bear, like there was an invisible blanket supporting him from underneath.

 

With great awe and disbelief, he realized his body just halted midair, a nose-breadth away from the ground. Suddenly, there was a thrill that rushed through his body, a desperation to find out what just happened. He wanted to try again to see if he can do it again…

 

However, the moment he tried to move, it seemed like suddenly the invisible blanket disappeared and he fell to the ground immediately with a loud Oof.

 

Jeonghan groaned, immediately sitting up and brushing the dirt and little pebbles that clung to his body. He looked around, wondering whether there was someone out there casting a spell on him. But there was no one… Did he do it by himself?

 

The adrenaline was overwhelming and Jeonghan wasted no time in finding out whether he did it on his own.

 

The first thing he did was jump as high as he can and then thought hard about stopping in the air before he can reach the ground. However, it wasn’t effective as he expected. He then outstretched his hands towards his front, wondering if he can somehow command by using his hands. But still, nothing.

 

He tried a few times more, sighing in frustration when there were no results. Finally he decided to climb a tree again, willing to create more distance from the ground. He took a deep breath, igniting the feeling that he did it himself. Then he jumped.

 

The hope immediately disappeared when he landed the ground with a hard crash. He rolled over, trying to lessen the impact.

 

Oh, he thought, breathing hard. It’s not him it seemed.

 

He looked around wondering whether a magical creature decided to offer him help. They said forests serve as good residence for a lot of them. Jeonghan has never encountered one before but he decided to just leave, mumbling a soft thank you to whatever or whoever that is.

 

He walked for a little moment, resting his limbs. Jumping and running around has drained the energy out of him. He kept a constant pace, wondering whether Hansol has already caught up.

 

A few moments later, he reached a clearing, a strip of space large enough for him to run without bumping into any trees or buttresses. A thought popped into his mind again.

 

He started to run. Slowly at first and then faster and faster. When he felt that he’s gained enough speed, he leapt.

 

Then finally, he was in the air. He’s… flying?

 

“Oh gods…” he breathed out, surprised that it actually worked.

 

Jeonghan can’t describe the feeling. Like what happened earlier, he can’t somehow feel the weight of his body. He noted a slight breeze beneath. Slowly, he dipped his arms, feeling a slight resistance when he did so.

 

It was exhilarating. There was a bubble of laughter forming in his chest, his heart beating loudly and ringing in his ears. He was filled with emotions, confusion foremost and then just unexplainable bliss. Deep down, he knew that he’s happy.

 

There was one problem though. There was only a little distance until he reached the end of the small clearing. His mind suddenly went blank. He didn’t know how to stop.

 

Even so, he had no other choice so he willed himself. Focused only on the thought of stopping.

 

He flailed his legs, trying to stop the momentum and whimpering when it seemed like he has only gained speed. The trees were fast approaching and without thinking, he leaned himself backward, instinctively protecting his head from a possible collision. He pushed his hips forward, leveling his feet until he was almost lying down midair. He strengthened his legs, putting strength to it, and then prepared himself for impact.

 

The bottom of his feet hit a large trunk with an extremely large thud, shaking him to his core. Suddenly he was falling backwards towards the ground. He really thought he was going to die until he halted midair again for a few second before he fully reached the ground with no painful clash.

 

“Haaa…” he breathed out, half laughing at what just happened. He lay there, shook as he watched the branches sway from the impact. He watched as some birds escape their nests from being disturbed, wondering how closed he was from actually hurting himself. He surely has scratches and small wounds but they were something he can manage.

 

He decided to lay there, basking in the aftermath. Surely, Hansol would be just around the corner if he decided to follow him. If he appear from behind the trees to fetch him, then he’d come with him. For now he would just lay there and relish the high.

 

However, his little moment of peace was cut short when suddenly there was rumbling in the ground. He sat up immediately, alert and at the same time scared at how the sound seem to get louder and louder by the second.

 

Gods…

 

The guards… he forget the about the guards at the border.

 

His first instinct was to run. Until he realized that he was creating motion easily spotted. So with  panicked movements, he grasped on the first branch he saw, then climbed all the way to the top. With agile limbs, he tiptoed towards the end near the trunk, covering himself with a larger branch. He waited.

 

From his position, he can clearly see the spot where he previously lay. In no time, he saw guards on horses, about five of them reach the place. He watched them survey the tree he collided with, peeking through the branches for something out of the ordinary.

 

Jeonghan felt his breath hitch in his throat when a guard got off his horse and picked up several twigs which got cut off when he fell down. He watched him survey the tree then afterwards assigned each guards a direction to investigate. The guards instantly obeyed, leading their horses towards the direction they were given.

 

Jeonghan sat on a tree not far away from where they were. He knew he was in an extremely dangerous position and transferring to another would be too great of a risk. So he sat still, holding his breath and wishing the large branch would be enough to cover his fire red robes.

 

He was watching a guard approach the tree he was on when suddenly he felt something warm against his thigh.

 

The metal ball… Mingyu must have been looking for him.

 

He took it out slowly and carefully, and then held it between his palms in awe. The ball points east, but Jeonghan was sure he can’t go there without being noticed. So he sat there, feeling bad that this was happening. Isn’t he aware that there were guards at the borders? Yet he still insisted going despite Hansol’s warnings. If he get caught then, he’d be questioned, The assumptions on him would hold more weight.

 

He found himself staring at the ball, feeling the heat move around its circumference. Mingyu  must now be on a horse looking for him too. The guilt sat heavier in his chest. Was he mad at him? Was he tired of Jeonghan’s stubbornness?

 

Jeonghan wished he wasn’t holding the ball right now. Because then Mingyu would definitely find him. Would be the one to clean up his mess again. Wasn’t Jeonghan always the one who's always insisting to remain careful? Now he’s risking them both again.

 

He curled into himself, watching as the guard approach his tree. He held in his breath, wishing this was all over. He didn’t--he never--deserved to hide. But here he was. Continuing the pattern of trying to be invisible yet again.

 

He felt the ball in his hand get warmer the same time the swishing of leaves became overpowered by the sound of a galloping horse.

 

Jeonghan peeked through. As expected, Mingyu came, sporting a full armor suit.

 

Jeonghan was right. Mingyu exuded displeasure on his stance, face painted with much more obvious chagrin. He gestured the guard to come towards him, giving him an instruction. Afterwards, he saw the guard mount the horse, leading it away from the spot.

 

When the guard was gone, Jeonghan released the breath he was holding, wanting nothing but to come down the tree and face Mingyu. But Mingyu gave out no indication that he wanted to see him. Mingyu certainly knew where he was exactly but he hasn’t acknowledged him. Instead he looked like he too was going to leave. A breath away from pulling the reins and making his horse move.

 

“Wait,” he muttered but his voice came out strained and weak, lost of the previous desperation to talk to him. Somehow, it seemed like he didn't trust himself anymore. How can he when all his actions result to inconvenience? To Mingyu being upset and unhappy?

 

He remained in his position and watch Mingyu leave, feeling hopeless and weak. The dull ache in his limbs has already transformed into an uncomfortable throbbing. He knew he needed to get the castle now. He has to rest now...

 

Nonetheless, he stayed there at the top, feeling too tired to move. Maybe he can sleep there first. He’s done it before.

He leaned his head on the moist trunk, eyes closing in by themselves. Suddenly there was movement again on the ground. His eyes snapped open.

 

Thankfully, the intruder’s face was something he recognized. Hansol was on a horse too, face red and restless.

 

“Hansol,” he called out.

 

Jeonghan clearly saw how relief washed over Hansol’s face when the other saw him up the tree.

 

“Your, h--” Hansol started but he stopped himself. “Can you get yourself down?” He questioned, dismounting his horse and then running towards the bottom of the tree.

 

“Of course,” he said, already making his way down.

 

Standing in front of Hansol was quite awkward. The other looked like he was going to combust any moment. He was still breathing hard, sweat soaked and looking like he just came from a long run.

 

“I apologize for not finding you immediately--”

 

“No,” Jeonghan interrupted, “How can you say that,” he mumbled, looking down at his feet and feeling worse than before. “Please don’t say that. It was my fault, not yours.”

 

He felt Hansol grip his wrist gently raising up his arm. The other traced a light touch on a scar he got when he fell, eyes immediately coloring with fear.

 

“Did they hurt you?” he asked tone laced with so much concern and worry Jeonghan thought he didn’t deserve.

 

He immediately shook his head. “No, I just fell.”

 

Hansol gave out a sigh of relief when he said that. “Thank gods. Their weapons are laced with poison. I refuse to imagine what could have happened if they mistook you for an intruder.”

 

Jeonghan gulped. He didn’t know it was bad up to that extent.

 

“Alright. Please allow me to you to the castle,” Hansol prompted. Jeonghan nodded, letting the other lead him towards the horse.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jeonghan said sincerely before he mounted. “And thank you.”

 

Hansol went still for a moment, eyes flickering and avoiding eye contact before smiling at him.

 

“It’s always my pleasure.”

 

No one bothered him when he came back. He stayed in his room the whole day just sulking beneath his thin blanket. He supposed he should be packing but it felt like if he did then there was no turning back.

 

It was early evening when he went out of his room to go to the kitchen. He wasn’t really hungry--Hansol brought a big set of lunch to his room. But he has nothing to do and somehow he was curious if there was new gossip floating around especially because of what happened that morning.

 

Surprisingly, there was none about the mess he created earlier. Instead it seemed like tonight was a differen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter