Hydra

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AN: w ow im a horrible person

this is half-half btw (u'll find out what i mean when u finish reading lol)

 

“Let’s not consult the oracle anymore.”

 

It took a moment before he was able to process what Mingyu just said and when he did, the splash of pain was greater than he can ever imagine. He never thought it was possible to hurt this much that he can feel it physically—throat constricting and chest getting heavier by the second.

 

This is the end.

This is really the end.

 

Mingyu was quick to notice his reaction and he took his face immediately with both hands. “Jeonghan…” he called out to him, face concerned, as he placed soothing touches on his cheek.

 

He wants to speak, to ask what lead to this decision, but he found it hard to do so, the tiredness and pain seeping into his whole being that he just wanted to shut down. But Mingyu looked like he was waiting for him to respond and so he willed himself to think about it.  He took a deep breath, trying to bury the emotions in place of any kind of rationality that might help him make sense of their situation.

 

In the end, he nodded despite his reluctance. Because what can he do. Mingyu was the only reason he was holding on and if he wants to end this, if he wants to let go of him without consulting the oracle, then he'll agree. He would not put himself in front of the prophecy--would not block the beautiful future it promises. “I’m going home tomorrow. I can leave first thing—“ 

 

“Home?”

 

“Would you like me to stay as your servant then?” he choked out. The prospect of staying as a servant was something that made his inside churn with anxiety. But he was a fool, and he would risk seeing Mingyu everyday despite the tragic setting--Princess Tzuyu by his side and not him.

 

There was a flash of confusion on Mingyu’s face which was then instantly replaced by realization.

 

“Oh Jeonghan…” suddenly Mingyu gathered him in his arms, tucking him under his head, but then pulling away again. Without thinking, Jeonghan reached out for him, clutching his sleeves and not wanting to let go. He then became immediately aware of his behavior. He's been extremely clingy that night and so he retracted his hands--worried that he's coming off too needy. But Mingyu smiled at the action, reaching out for his arm himself and draping it over his waist, bringing them much closer. His hand traveled up his back up to his neck, tilting his head so they were eye to eye.

 

"Your home is beside me, Jeonghan."

Jeonghan waited for the other to explain what he meant. Wasn't he just talking about separating? 

 

Instead Mingyu dived into him and captured his lips into a heated kiss. Surprised, he let himself be swept at the sensation, body going limp and pliant as he focused on catching up to the intensity. His hands stayed wrapped on the other’s waist, feeling far too comfortable to move but Mingyu made up for it--as his hands roamed over his back, to his sides, caressing each available part his hand can reach.

 

Finally, when Jeonghan was a panting mess from the lack of air, Mingyu took his hand, opening his clutched fist and then draping it over his chest. He pulled away slightly, “Jeonghan…” he whispered breath hot on his skin. “Can you feel it?”

 

Jeonghan did, the excited thump beating far more alive on the stillness of the night. Lying here and hearing it makes Mingyu’s presence more tangible. He fought the urge to listen for a longer time and nodded.

 

“I’m in love with you.” The confession was so sudden and so unexpected that he stilled and before he can respond Mingyu continued, “Despite what the prophecy or the oracle say, I’m in love with you. I’m not going to let you go. So Jeonghan…”

 

He dipped in again for a gentle kiss, “Forget the prophecy, forget the oracle. I’m here with you, in mind and in heart.”

 

He gathered him into an embrace but still Jeonghan was left with no words, dazed and feeling the threat of tears again.

 

“Jeonghan… please talk to me…”

 

It was a few moments before he was able to organize his thoughts,  “Please don’t say that,” he finally said, It was such a great irony. He wanted Mingyu, wants him too much and he yearned for him so much that day. But he can’t.

 

He immediately regretted his words as he watched Mingyu’s face fell, hurt replacing the fond look that previously graced his face. But instead of taking it back, he just wished for the other to see the silent apology written in his eyes.

 

“It’ll hurt more. When we need to be apart. When the prophecy takes it place… when you...when Princess Tzuyu…” he buckled over his words but he struggled to continue. Because Mingyu needs to know—that it was not him, but the situation they were in that kept him from fully accepting his words. “You’ve given me so much happiness, filled me up with so many wonderful feelings. It’ll be so hard to erase the happy memories,” he choked out.

 

Mingyu shook his head.  “Jeonghan, my end is you…” he brought his hands up again, “I’m afraid it will not be easy, but let the memories stay with you,“ he paused giving him a sad smile, “ and I will never be tired of giving you more things to remember,” he said, kissing each of his knuckles.

 

“But, we're not alone in this. This is going against the gods and a betrayal to the people.“ The warmth of the confession was slowly slipping away as Jeonghan recounted another barrier that has put such a great weight on him. “Being with me, takes away the promise of the prophecy. I don’t think my conscience can take that.”

 

“Jeonghan, I believe there is a reason we met. This is a blessing in a way and I'm excited to see what this will bring us.

 

and of course I am a prince, sooner I’ll be a king. I'll do my best to fulfill my duties to give my people a good and blissful life. You don't have to worry about it. Do you trust me?

 

Just stay with me and leave those worries, right? And if it all comes to worse, I'll make sure to protect you. We'll just have to be each other's strength, all right?"

 

With Mingyu's words, it seemed like it's so easy and before he knew it, he found himself nodding, still a little overwhelmed. He racked his mind for another reason, thinking it was better to address the problems earlier than leave it untouched. “I don’t deserve you,” he finally said. This was the most obvious one. In front of him is a Prince, royal blood flowing through his veins. “I’m only a servant—“

 

Suddenly, Mingyu rolled them over, their position ending with him lying on the top of the other. Mingyu looked up and Jeonghan was to surprise to see the look of adoration on the other's face--as if Jeonghan was not just a commoner and was something to be worshipped.

 

“No, I’m the one who does not deserve you,” Mingyu whispered almost reverently. Before he can protest, the other pulled his head gently toward his chest, hands patting and caressing his head, clearly cutting the conversation short.

 

“You must be tired. Sleep now.”

 

 

 

Jeonghan peeked through the glass doors of the prince’s balcony. When Mingyu slipped outside his room at dawn, he has asked him to come to his room before breakfast. And so here he was, sturdy again after a night with Mingyu beside him. He was more energetic than yesterday he figured, as he felt like he was back to his limber self. And with a clearer mind, it doesn’t take much to know that this was a bad and reckless idea. Their conversation the night before has not covered how they would go about the secrecy and exposure of their association to each other.

 

Despite his better judgment, he knocked lightly, careful to not create too much noise. In no time, Mingyu came, peering through the spaces of the curtain and he saw him smile when they locked eyes.

 

He opened the door, welcoming him with an embrace and Jeonghan melted, letting the warmth seep in.

 

“How is your morning, my love?”

 

My love. My love. My love.

 

His heart did summersault. How can a simple endearment provide him with such delightful feelings. He looked up and he was welcomed with a bright expression, the soft yellow rays emphasizing the beauty of the man in front of him.

 

Mingyu then took his hand pulling him at the corner towards a small table. A closer look has showed him the great abundnce of food laid out in the table.

 

“Mingyu… what’s this?”

 

The other released his hands and went to sit on the chair on the other side of table. He has a smug expression on, proudly gesturing towards the other chair, “Join me.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter